Profile for P > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Be.ez LA robe Allure for 13 inch Macbook Air - Black Stripes
Be.ez LA robe Allure for 13 inch Macbook Air - Black Stripes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality product, 28 Mar 2014
This is my second one, best laptop sleeves due to stiff 'memory foam'... very protective cushioning, albeit slightly thicker than your average sleeve because of it. As it is stiff, it doubles as a 'lap tray', so I put the laptop on it when on my lap, making it very comfortable and the heat doesn't burn my thighs, I can even eat my dinner on it.
Stripes are very understated. Perfect for the Sony viao pro 13!

OneSimCard International Prepaid SIM Card for Over 200 Countries - Combo Size Sim Card (micro/standard)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for frequent travellers, 28 Mar 2014
It does seem expensive, especially as there's only 10 dollars credit on there... but has very wide coverage and in a lot of countries, free or very cheap incoming calls. Perfect for having as an emergency backup, especially if you don't always have time to pick up a local simcard. Avoiding roaming charges outside Europe is very useful...

Logitech K811 Bluetooth Easy Switch Keyboard for Mac/iPad/iPhone
Logitech K811 Bluetooth Easy Switch Keyboard for Mac/iPad/iPhone
Offered by Prompt Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed a bluetooth dongle to work, 28 Mar 2014
Very frustrating. Paired with windows 8.1 easily the first time, it then refused to pair after that, reinstalling drivers or resetting did nothing, and my pc bluetooth still functional with all other devices. Solution; bought an external bluetooth dongle for a tenner... now works perfectly every time. Glad I tried this before returning item.
Now it's working, very good keyboard, feels classy and sturdy. Works well with ps4 too. Backlight on keyboard doesn't stay on long enough though.

DH Labs USB Digital Audio Cables 0.5 meters by Silversonic
DH Labs USB Digital Audio Cables 0.5 meters by Silversonic

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 Dec 2013
For use with high quality 24/192 flac files from a laptop to a usb dac... and this seemed to give slightly more transparency in the music when compared to my cheap cable. Definitely not a warm sound, but accurate. Results will differ depending on your equipment, but for me, worth the money, cheaper than a lot of alternatives and looks good.
Postage also very fast from the us of a

Audioengine A5+ Powered Multimedia Speakers Pair in Solid Bamboo
Audioengine A5+ Powered Multimedia Speakers Pair in Solid Bamboo
Offered by Planet Gizmo

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch entry level speakers, 4 Dec 2013
Very impressed with these speakers. They look fantastic, solid, smooth finish. They are reasonably big, and the powered unit has a grill at the back meaning you will need deep bookshelves if that's where they're going. The power switch is also behind the powered unit, which is very annoying if you have the speakers on a bookshelf like me. There's also a handy usb port on the back, although only for charging purposes. It means you can leave an mp3 player permanently attached and bypass the need for a stereo system or computer.
Details are very clear, and they are pretty loud for the size, easily filling a medium sized room. The bass is decent, but seemed to depend a lot on the file quality, and type of music of course. I wouldn't recommend these for mp3 dubstep or d&b fans... maybe unless you get a separate sub, but for high bitrate flac users who like a bit of balance and transparency, these speakers are excellent for the price.
I paired these with audioengine d2 units streaming 24bit flacs, works perfectly.
Small remote is very basic, but at least it has one.
All in all, very good entry level 'semi-audiophile' speakers that are a little more expensive than some others, but being powered, there is no need for a separate amp making it more versatile.

Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman
Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but scissors are rubbish, 4 Dec 2013
Good unit, not too big or heavy. Has a useful clip on it for attaching to your pocket/belt. Feels ok in the hand, although maybe not as ergonomic as some other models, and could get slippery.
My only real gripe is the scissors. They are not spring loaded in any way, and don't have a thumb hole... meaning that once pressed, they don't depress again, making cutting anything a real chore. It also uses one of the two outward folding slots, and I think another more useful tool there would be much better.
Can't argue with the low price though!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 11:52 AM GMT

TP-Link TL-PA4030KIT 500Mbps Powerline Adapter with 3 Ports - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA4030KIT 500Mbps Powerline Adapter with 3 Ports - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for NAS drive / smart tv, 22 Nov 2013
My wifi was very slow to my smart tv, video stuttering when streamed from the web or from my NAS drive. Bought one of these, plugged it in, using the three outputs to my tv, pc and xbox about 10 metres away in the next room. Video now streams perfectly, taxing online games are smooth, and download speeds are... pretty good. With all outputs functioning at the same time, the speed is cut substantially, but is still quite good.
For NAS drive users, or anyone else for that matter, this is a very easy and cheap option (although I don't know how much it will add to my electricity bill?), the units are also surprisingly small, and won't get in the way of the other plug on a dual socket. The cables point downwards, which looks much neater than other brands.

Astell and Kern AK100 Personal MQS & Ultimate Portable Hi-fi Music Player -32GB of Internal Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DAP available, 22 Sep 2013
Had this beaut for a while now, and it has grown on me with more use, and breaking it in with the earphones. Sounds fantastic. The impedance is apparently a factor with a lot of earphones, but I purchased a pair of sennheiser ie800, and played some 24/192 or 24/96 files through it, perfect. The new firmware download has a 'pro eq' setting, I think for improving the impedance issue with some sets. It also allows the ak100 to be used as a usb dac to output to a separate amp. I can report this works very nicely, although only through a usb 2.0 port.
There are several other firmwares that can change the sound signature to your preference.
I've listened to the larger AK120 (which has two DACs), and while the sound difference is slightly noticeable, this unit is far better value at almost half the price.
My only other gripe is that finding lots of 24 bit music files is harder thanI expected, and expensive! Make sure your collection is at least 16 bit cd quality, and you won't look back. (mp3s sound terrible on this!)

Ultrasone Signature DJ Headphones
Ultrasone Signature DJ Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cans, 22 Sep 2013
High quality headphones.Pretty much the best 'dj' cans you can buy. I wanted a set that would sound good with both audiophile quality flac files to relax with, and good quality mp3 dance music for mixing. It does the job, although is a compromise, as there are better headphones for audiophile music, as some clarity is lost on these, and mp3 (320) sounds a bit distant and muddy. They are most at home mixing cd quality dance music, what they're made for, and sound a treat.
They are very well made, solid, comfortable for my big head. They are easily powered and can go very loud. Without repeating reviews, they sound great, clean and accurate with the right music, not with fantastic soundstage, but wide enough. Probably worth the money...?!

Audioengine D2 Wireless 24-Bit DAC - Black
Audioengine D2 Wireless 24-Bit DAC - Black
Offered by Planet Gizmo

4.0 out of 5 stars Interferes with internet, 19 Sep 2013
An expensive option, but the only real answer if you want to stream 24 bit music wirelessly to (any) speakers without quality loss. Straight out of the box, it connected and worked perfectly, I didn't even have to glance at the manual, just plug and play. The music sounds fantastic. I stream to some powered audioengine A5+, and an extra receiver to a power amp downstairs, and it sounds just as good as wired, and will only get better once burned in apparently. Burr brown Dac outputs a very smooth and accurate sound, and helps justify the price of the unit.
My only real gripe is that it does interfere (a lot) with my home network connection. It works on a separate frequency, and so does not use my network, but when it is playing, my wireless internet connection disappears from my computer. This...is a problem. I will buy a longer usb cable and keep the d2 a good distance from my laptop, see if that helps. Lose a star...
Otherwise a superb piece of equipment that just works.
I recommend buying an extra receiver for the best multi-room system in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9