Profile for Mr. M. P. Duffy > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Duffy

Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AEG KM4400 UltraMix Kitchen Machine, Tungsten Metallic Gloss
AEG KM4400 UltraMix Kitchen Machine, Tungsten Metallic Gloss

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice, quality item of kitchen machinery!, 22 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Straight away I was impressed with the contents of the box! It's really nice that this setup includes a second stainless steel bowl and the splatter guard, as well as the various attachments and main bowl. I must say it was fairly tricky getting the main stainless bowl out for the first time however. It came packed in that thin packing foam which when locked into he base of mixer makes for such a tight fit that it was pretty hard to free the bowl for the first time!

The mixer feels, and is, of very good quality. It is sturdily heavy, and everything feels exceedingly well crafted. It's nice to have the white LED lights under the motor head to light the contents of the bowl. There are 3 different heads; a beater, a dough hook and a balloon whisk. They are very easy to interchange; it's simply a bayonet-type of fixing with a push against a spring and a small turn to lock the head in place. It's rather pleasing the way the motor 'ramps-up' when switched on and when changing between speed settings.

I have so far predominantly used the beater and the dough hook, mainly for biscuit and pizza base making. The only thing I am finding that I could remotely be picky about is that sometimes after dough has been mixing for a while, the direction of turn of the slapping dough tightens the bowl into the locking base. Of course, you wouldn't want it to turn against the locking base to free the bowl(!), but a couple of times it has really tightened up in the base making it stiff to remove.

The mixer is not too noisy, is very easy to wipe clean and is proving to be used more than I might have originally thought! There is a power take-off on the motor head which can accommodate other accessories such as a slicer and a pasta roller, but I do not have any such attachments and so have not used it. It's very easy to unscrew the cover plate and flip it up out the way to reveal he power take-off.

A very pleasing, good quality mixer.

Architectural Styles: A Visual Guide
Architectural Styles: A Visual Guide
by Owen Hopkins
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview, 1 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this as I have only a very loose idea of what constitutes an architectural style, a knowledge mainly garnered long ago in a dusty school room! This book is a great and fairly portable guide that simply and concisely explains various styles, both those historical and contemporary, giving information on their history and the ideas behind each style, along with helpful photos that illustrate the identifying characteristics. I'm guessing it is not an exhaustive text, but it certainly provides enough information to satiate the needs of the idly curious, and serves as a great overview and introduction for those who might want to explore further.

Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 200 g Steam Boost and Safety Auto Off, 300 ml, 2600 Watt, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very steamy, quick to heat up and massive sole plate make ironing a short task!, 28 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite possibly the most steamy iron I've ever used!

Straight out the box, it felt quite big compared to the previous iron I owned (which was a very cheap plasticky one). I must say though, that the weight and balance of it are remarkable. It's very light to use and the advantage of its size is the massive sole plate which definitely makes ironing quicker.

It's easy to fill under the tap because it's got a nice large spout and it it holds loads of water - I've only filled it the once so far which has provided lots of ironing!

It is incredible at producing steam. Almost to the point that you need to be wary of the amount of steam coming out! I only use a small table top ironing board from IKEA and the amount of steam that passes through the garment and the ironing board was surprising at first; I'm used to it now though.

It's easy to adjust the temperature, it heats up very quickly when switched on and it also has automatic cut-out features at different timings depending on whether you leave it flat or standing on its end, so no more getting to work and worrying that you have left a fire hazard at home!!!

The instruction book and box make a big deal out of its self-cleaning, de-lime scaling facilities, but I have not had reason to have to use that feature yet as it's not supposed to be done after such a short period of use. The 'quick calc' tray which collects the deposits of scale is very easy to remove though so I imagine it will be simple.

If I have one small gripe, it's that the cord retaining clip is a bit fiddly when you've wrapped the cord round for storage and want to clip the end back on itself.

Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders
Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 11 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried this on a few different items in my 'to repair' pile, and have to say the results have been overwhelmingly positive. Possibly my only main criticism is cosmetic, in that if repairing a large gap on a coloured item, then the black and grey filling powders could look out of place. Other than that it's easy to use, it sets quickly and once dry it files down easily to make a smooth repair that is super strong! I'll definitely be buying more of this when it runs out!

Colgate C350 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate C350 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first step into the world of sonic brushing!!!!, 7 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this as an upgrade to previously using a standard electric toothbrush, so this is a first foray into the sonic world for me! I cannot stress enough how much cleaner it is leaving my teeth feeling!

Out of the box it was very easy to charge, and simple to set up. The brush head connects to the body easily. The charge lasts an incredibly long time; approximately 2 weeks seems to be fairly average between charges.

Other than that, there's not a huge amount I can say - it works well, charge lasts ages and it leaves my teeth feeling super-clean!!!!!

Braun Thermoscan IRT 3020 Compact Ear Thermometer
Braun Thermoscan IRT 3020 Compact Ear Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy to use!, 1 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very quick and easy to use, giving me a reading within about a second or so. Also, it gave me the same result each time I successively retried taking my temperature, which is reassuring!

Philips Foldie On Ear CitiScape Headband Headphones - Black
Philips Foldie On Ear CitiScape Headband Headphones - Black
Offered by SmartSalesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality headphones for the price, and the retro cord won't tangle which is a real bonus!, 22 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like the retro look of these headphones. I received a set via the Amazon Vine programme. The set I received were not the black ones shown, but we're in fact tan and aqua blue. At first I wasn't too sure about the colour combination, but it works!

Out the box, they're really nice quality. Gold plated jack plugs, reasonably sturdy feeling plastic, nicely padded earpieces and particularly nice touches include perforated leather-effect wrapping round the headband (reminds me of the handlebars of my first racing bike!) and fabric-wrapped headphone cord/lead. Both these touches really finish off the retro effect nicely, and the fabric-wrapped lead doesn't tangle! A cool retro nod which addresses a modern world annoyance!!!

The headphones are comfortable, they seal nicely over the ear and really block out external noise. Sound quality is fantastic. Nice round sound, and bass is reasonable too. I would say they tend to fit the ear better if the headband is tipped slightly to the back rather than straight up and over

My only gripe was that there is an in-line single button controller which didn't get explained anywhere on or in the box, resulting in an online search to figure out! (1 click = play/pause, 2 = next song, 3 = previous song). It would be nice if volume could be controlled via the controller too.

All in all a nice set of headphones for the price.

Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent GPS heart rate health tracking watch, but be prepared for a super-long manual!, 3 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this through he vine programme and it was a happy coincidence - I was considering the purchase of a GPS health tracker watch so this made the decision for me!

Out of the box, it was quick to charge. The USB clip charger (which doubles as the data cable) can be a little fiddly to clip in exactly the right spot, so sometimes it's necessary to fiddle the clip round until the battery charging symbol appears - then you know you've got a good connection.

For full connectivity it is necessary to download the polar flow app to your mobile / iPad and there is also PC software which is necessary to be able to update the firmware on the watch. You have to download the latest version before it will work properly.

It is easy to set initial details such as weight, height, age, sex etc. to give more accurate readings. It is also extremely easy to pair the heart rate monitor (included) which is comfortable to wear and easy to adjust. My only disappointment is that to fully complete all the fitness tests it suggests in the instructions, it is necessary to purchase other Bluetooth sensor add-ons.

At this point I should say that the strap is very tight! It's difficult to pass the loose end through the retaining band. It has just started becoming easier after about a month!

The PDF manual is ridiculously long. I have to admit I have not yet made the time to sit and see everything which the v800 can do as it's too overwhelming! I have discovered enough to keep me satisfied for the time being.

Starting exercise tracking is simple. The are a number of screens available to switch between whilst tracking which give lots of information. I was glad to find one which still allows you to see the time, but it's a shame that you can't track 'in the background' and just leave the normal watch face displayed. The watch will also track without pairing the heart rate monitor.

Tracking gives you some really useful data. A GPS map do your route, heart rate, altitude graph, speed graph etc. All this comes once you've uploaded to your connected device into the PolarFlow app. I've been using mine with an iPad and iPhone and this has been really simple, but does require Bluetooth to be switched on. The app also gives a diary view of all completed workouts etc. My only disappointment is that there's no option to share with Facebook etc at the push of a button. I used to use runkeeper to track my runs and could easily share in this way.

The stopwatch and countdown functions are way too fiddly to be really useful in my opinion.

All in all so far I have been very happy with the way the watch works. It holds a long battery charge and for simple tracking which gives some useful training feedback it is real lye say to use. I have yet to delve further into the ridiculously long manual to see how much more I can get it to do, mainly because I don't really feel the need to for my type of use!

Bitmore Juucee 2600mAh Ultra Compact Portable Battery Backup Charger with LED Torch
Offered by zoombits

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad charging capability, but a couple of quality issues., 29 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a useful little gadget if you're often out and about away from power points. It would be useful, for example, if you were away camping for a weekend.

The product itself is a reasonable size - small enough to easily tuck in a pocket in a coat. The initial charge from a laptop didn't take too long - I would say a few hours maybe. This provided enough power to fully charge an iPhone 5s from empty and also complete just under a 50% charge on a flat batteried iPad mini.

The only issues I found were as follows: the USB connection into the charger feels very cheaply put together. It was very difficult to plug the cable in without feeling like you were running the risk of damaging the thin connecting strip. Also, there is an LED torch included which is a useful idea, however the switch is supposed to be 3 positioned; off, on without torch and on with torch. We could only select on with torch or off. So the above quoted charging capability is with the LED torch running the whole time!

Not a bad item, but just with a couple of minor quality issues.

AEG AG3013 Ergorapido Li-ion Tungsten Metallic 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 18 V

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, 25 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall this vacuum is very impressive. It charges quickly and holds a charge for about 45 mins of use, during which there is no discernible reduction in its ability to vacuum. The upright vacuum is also vey lightweight and easy to manoeuvre. The motorised brush head aids considerably in picking up dust and dog hairs, but it's not quite as powerful as my Dyson.

The handheld unit is easily detached from the main body of the upright and has detachable head so you can use the crevice tool with or without the brush. One minor complaint is that the crevice tool is stored on the charging base behind the upright you have to remove the entire upright vacuum from the charger to get to it. This is a pain if you just want to quickly run round the edges with the handheld unit.

We did have a minor issue with an error warning, which didn't quite seem to correspond with any of the light patterns in the manual, but after trying the old switch off, leave to rest and switch on that was rectified quickly! Since then we have had no other problems.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20