Profile for Mr. M. P. Duffy > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Duffy

Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TONI&GUY Men Sea Salt Spray - 200 ml
TONI&GUY Men Sea Salt Spray - 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells great and really gives a good messed-up texture (even on very fine hair!), 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This salt spray is much better than others I have purchased.

It smells good and it really does leave even my fine hair with some texture and separation when applied.

I find its best sprayed onto wet hair then blow dried. When I have lightly sprayed it on dry hair it has just flattened any volume I had managed to dry into my hair (which is hard enough with fine hair as it is!!!!)

I do find it sometimes 'sticks' a few hairs together which makes running your fingers through your hair troublesome, and it doesn't have the best sprayer so it's best held a long way away and pressed hard - but those are he only negatives.

Braun Face 810 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush
Braun Face 810 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice addition to an everyday facial routine, 21 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This for me was acquired more for the facial scrubbing brush than the epilator head. I have, however tried it on the small hairs on the back of my hand and it seems perfectly adequate at quickly and (fairly) painlessly removing small hairs.

The facial scrubbing brush is lovely. The bristles are just firm enough to really clear the skin, but soft enough to still feel gentle on the face.

Battery life seems good, although note when you come to change the battery that the small twist cap which secures it only properly fits one way round ( the small locking tabs are not reversible) - I nearly jammed it the first time I tried putting it back.

There is no travel case and only a push-on cap for the epilator head. It's a shame that there's no simple travel case included as this is generally small enough that I would take it on holiday.

Overall, for my purposes this is a nice addition to my daily cleansing regime though and leaves the skin feeling properly cleansed.

Fiddle For Dummies
Fiddle For Dummies
by Michael John Sanchez

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, 17 April 2015
This review is from: Fiddle For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have played fiddle, both classical and folk (for pleasure, in pub sessions and for Morris dancers) for about 16 years, so am not a beginner. One of the real positives of this book is that it assumes no previous knowledge, and the opening material on holding the violin and how are very good. Where I think it lacks is the material on scales and arpeggios, and that there is nothing on Pentatonic scales, a solid grasp of which is essential to develop tone and ability to jump between notes. Especially as much folk music is built out of arpeggio runs and Pentatonic sequences. There is also a very heavy bias towards American folk, which I'm personally not a fan of, much preferring English, Scots and Irish music, but hey ho! Personally, I would recommend this book in tandem with a good scale book, and when ready to progress go onto something like Chris Haigh's Explore Folk Fiddle or one of the beginners Irish fiddle tutors (such as those by Peter Cooper or Matt Cranitch).

Mr. Beams MB702 Wireless Motion-Sensing Mini Stick-Anywhere LED Nightlights, Small, White, 2-Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly effective 'hands-free' occasional light., 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really impressed with these little lights!

I have used the to give a small amount of light after dark in the lean-to on the side of my kitchen, where my washing machine is. I don't need masses of light, but equally wanted to just have some lighting out there to at least see what I'm doing when it gets darker. These fit the bill perfectly!

Very simple to load with batteries and put up. 2 AAAs each and a couple of screws (which are contained in the box). There are also two sticky strips for adhesive mounting, but I prefer to use a screw if possible so cannot comment on how effective sticking them up would be.

After darkness falls, the sensor picks you up when moving in the vicinity of the unit, and a really impressive amount of light is given off considering it's such a small single LED. I haven't timed it, but it stays on for a usefully prolonged amount of time.

These would be ideal in a cupboard or shed or some such place where you only occasionally need some 'hands-free' light.

Stanley 210 Piece Mixed Tool Set 73795 - Polished Chrome
Stanley 210 Piece Mixed Tool Set 73795 - Polished Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly useful set, but shame about Stanley's customer service., 7 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fantastically useful set. It contains pretty much every socket in every size that you could possibly need.

There's 3 nicely sized ratchet handle sets. The only minor annoyance is that there's no instructions to tell you that you have to depress a button on the back of the ratchet handle to lock the socket on and also release it afterwards. I spent ages initially thinking that the ball-bearing on the driver shaft was stuck, stopping you being able to push a socket onto the drive shaft!!!! It's a brilliant idea though - the socket feels very secure indeed. It's just a shame they don't give you instructions to explain it!

There's a good mix of metric and imperial measurement sockets in long and short shafts. There's also a brilliant selection of hex keys, spanners, screwdrivers and a good Stanley cutter knife. The screwdrivers are excellent. I have bought cheaper screwdrivers before and the minute you try and turn your first screw, the end rounds off (particularly with Phillips head screwdrivers). Nothing of the such with these - they keep their shape perfectly.

It was slightly weird that the tape measure has ONLY inches on it. I am of the metric generation and inches mean very little to me. I ended up going to Wickes and buying a Stanley tape measure which has centimetres and inches on it and is thankfully in a case which is exactly the same as the strange inches one, so fits perfectly in the carry case but did mean an extra £7.99 spent. On the subject of the case, it's very secure, but on receipt the turning knob had come apart so most of the contents had shaken loose in the packaging!

My only major disappointment is that one of the sockets has been doubled-up in error and I am therefore missing one socket. I have tried contacting Stanley via their online contact form TWICE with no response at all, which is very disappointing from a customer service experience (especially having received such excellent customer service from AEG/Electrolux recently on a different purchase - it serves to emphasise how disappointing Stanley have been).

TOFKA Toffee Vodka
TOFKA Toffee Vodka

5.0 out of 5 stars A good looking and great tasting toffee vodka!, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: TOFKA Toffee Vodka (Grocery)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This toffee vodka tastes (and looks!) fabulous!

I tried a sip initially straight from the bottle. On its own it is quite sweet, but has a beautiful, rich, buttery toffee flavour. A word of warning..... some of the 'shimmer' had collected round the bottle neck under the cap and in sipping the bottle I was unknowingly left with a copper mark on my lip which a friend later asked about thinking it was lipstick!!!!

The suggestion on the bottle is to try drinking this either with warm or cold apple juice. It really is a combination to die for. Cold is good, but warm is possibly one of the nicest 'warm' alcoholic drinks I have ever tasted - just like the flavour of a good toffee apple, or a bit like that lovely toffee apple cake you get in IKEA!!

The bottle looks good - the way the shimmer is suspended throughout the drink after a shake makes it look like something out of the potions lab in Harry Potter.

Oster Blender Reversible, 1.25 Litre, 600 W
Oster Blender Reversible, 1.25 Litre, 600 W

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant blender - it does an amazing job of mixing, blending and chopping., 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This blender is brilliant. I wanted something that would tackle the task of mashing up fruit and veg for smoothies and is really doesn't disappoint.

I had previously been using a borrowed 'specific' smoothie maker, and I have to say that this blender does a better job!

It's a very nice quality item. The thick glass jug is of great quality. The double blades are incredibly sharp and the base motor unit has nice, soft touch rubberised buttons.

There are 2 automated blending functions which automatically reverse the blades to ensure a good mix, and you can pulse at different speeds too. It does an excellent job of mixing and blending by drawing down the ingredients to the bottom of the jug. Overall it makes a brilliant job of blending.

The jug and lid are dishwasherable which also makes life very simple.

Dog Poo Bags Large OXO Biodegradable by Easipet (100)
Dog Poo Bags Large OXO Biodegradable by Easipet (100)
Offered by Far East Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent sized, thick bags., 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's not every day I write a review of a dog's mess bag!

These are nice, big bags so no fears about being caught short. They feel very sturdy and have a decent pair of tie handles.

The bags do not come in any sort of dispenser pack, they are simply sent in a black plastic outer bag so will need keeping carefully folded in a coat pocket.

It is obviously not possible to comment on the biodegradable factor, but compared to other biodegradable bags I have used before these feel quite thick in comparison which can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned!

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, streak-free cleaning!, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very impressed with the cleaning power of these dishwasher tabs.

I purposefully let the salt and rinse aid run down in my dishwasher to see whether going for an all in one tab would work out, and I'm not disappointed. Glasses have come out streak free, and even fairly tea stained mugs have come out shining, all with a lovely fresh lemon scent when you open the door.

There's not a huge amount else I can say about these, other than they're good!

Philips Sonicare HX9361/67 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush Pink
Philips Sonicare HX9361/67 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush!, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had for quite a few years been using an earlier model of the Philips SonicCare, which lasted for about 3 years, and I really cannot fault it. When it came to replace it I tried the Oral B equivalent out of interest as I'd heard good things about it (mainly from my dental hygienist), and have to say I've been equally impressed - no better, no worse. Having tried out this newer model SonicCare, design and results wise I can't say I've noticed any major difference from my experiences with the previous model of SonicCare (or even my Oral B), other than the option to charge via USB, which is very useful as it gives me another charging option when travelling. It is perhaps a bit stronger feeling than my last one, but that could just be because it was getting old! Either way, I have fairly sensitive teeth due to gum recession through over scrubbing with a manual brush as a teenager, but I didn't find this too uncomfortable to use, possibly as I have already been using sonic toothbrushes for a number of years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20