Profile for Mr. M. P. Duffy > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Duffy

Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rapesco Supaclip 60 Dispenser with 8 Clips
Rapesco Supaclip 60 Dispenser with 8 Clips
Price: 5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Particularly useful if you spend your life removing staplest hen re-stapling things!, 30 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had seen a colleague using supaclips before but had never used them myself.

There's not a massive amount you can say about these other than they clip pages together very effectively! Even just three or four sheets can be very firmly clipped. The clips supplied suggest 10-60 sheets but you can do less than 10. I've not yet done 60 so can't comment.

The great thing about supaclips is that they can be re-used (although I don't know if a clip used for 60 sheets would retain enough spring to grip only a few). The other great thing is that you can clip a chunk of paperwork and still pull a single page out of the middle of it. I am now using these to clip client notes for that very reason, as it saves me removing staples, taking a page out if required and then re-stapling.

I suppose my only gripe would be that you can only fit 8 clips in the dispenser at a time so if you're doing lots of clipping you need to keep re-loading, but it's not a massive issue!

Mustard Seed Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 5/5S
Mustard Seed Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 5/5S
Price: 8.95

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of an over-engineered solution to a problem, and wasn't perfect!, 28 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this to try rough the Amazon Vine programme. I was pleased to try it as I hate bubbly screen protectors!

It arrived in nice packaging. I imagined it would be straightforward to apply, but if I'm honest the instructions made it appear much more complicated than it needed to be!!!

I followed the instructions to the 't', and yet the screen protector still didn't apply completely straight on the phone, and there were bubbles left underneath. These mostly all squeezed out, but I've been left with a couple of bubbles on the edge which will not squeeze out and it won't stick down.

The screen protector is very tough though. After 3 weeks of use there are no minor scuffs or scratches on the surface.

My only other feeling is that it's rather wasteful as a one-use item. It's a shame they can't make the applicator frame 'reload able'!

NOCO BLSOLAR5 Solar Battery Charger
NOCO BLSOLAR5 Solar Battery Charger
Price: 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well straight out of the box, exactly as you'd expect., 12 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This charger works exactly as you'd hope.

It's nicely packaged in the box. It is very lightweight, but at the same time feels sturdy and well put together.

My intention is to attach it to a caravan leisure battery to avoid any flat battery emergencies, but it was initially pressed into use charging a flat car battery. The crocodile clips seem sturdy and grip terminals well. It also has a cigarette lighter attachment to allows trickle charging of a car battery via the car's cigarette lighter socket. The crocodile clips and cigarette lighter ends are interchangeable via a plug on the lead from the panel, which again, feels well made.

My only criticism would be that it is obviously designed with fairly permanent mounting in mind as it is manufactured with screw holes in the corners. It would be nice if here were some form of fold out prop on the back so it could be easily angled to face the sun if using 'free standing'. I ended up propping it on a stack on books!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 7:51 PM BST

The World's Best Spicy Food: where to find it & how to make it (Lonely Planet Food & Drink)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasty recipes!, 6 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the great bonuses of this book is that it also comes with a free PDF version that you can easily download from their website. I have only tried a few of the recipes as I am vegetarian, but overall I have found the recipes I have made very tasty and the heat level is quite tolerable. Although many of them are of course meat dishes, most of them look like they could be quite easily adapted. The book is very vibrant, featuring recipes from all over the world, each covered on a two-page spread with plenty of photos and a little about the recipe and where it comes from. An excellent cook book for those that like something a little different!

Tacwise 32mm 18G Brad Nailer. Air Brad Nailer. C1832V
Tacwise 32mm 18G Brad Nailer. Air Brad Nailer. C1832V
Price: 51.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly easy to set up and easy to use, 6 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this through the Amazon vine programme, however it is something I had thought of purchasing before.

The nailer comes in a very nice, sturdy case which is suitable for permanent storage between use. It also comes with a decent supply of brads to get you started.

The instructions are very simple, loading of the brads into the 'magazine' was easy, and connection to the air compressor was as with any other air tool on quick-push-fittings.

The operation is straightforward and actually not as noisy as I was expecting! The ability to hold the trigger and simply tap-down for quick, repeat nailing is useful. I pressed the nailer into use repairing a damaged fence panel and it easily took on nailing through the side bars and laps of the panel. Only a couple of times did the nail head not fully hammer home, but I suspect this is due to the pressure capability of my compressor and not the nailer itself.

A very useful tool at a very reasonable sale price.

Ultrasport Unisex Adult Travel Kit / Latex Band, Jump Rope
Ultrasport Unisex Adult Travel Kit / Latex Band, Jump Rope
Price: 6.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit but probably best suited to a beginner., 3 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The travel kit is definitely a useful addition to your travel bag, but I would suggest that it's probably suited to a beginner level as the resistance is reasonably light.

There are useful printed instructions for exercises with the kit, although in my set this only covered the 'handled' toning tube (not the circular one), the skipping rope and the Pilates band. Some exercise ideas for the circular toning tube would be useful as I'm not familiar with this bit of kit.

The skipping rope is a speed rope type and is a nice weight.

The kit comes with a neat mesh bag which fits everything nicely. It will easily fit in a travel bag and allow some simple exercises while away from home.

Bosch PKS16 Multi-Handy Mini Circular Saw for Precise Straight Cuts in Many Materials
Price: 98.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool, but not exactly sure how useful it will be unless you only ever cut very thin stuff!, 25 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this through the vine programme. It's a really nicely packaged and put-together tool, but I'm not entirely sure exactly how useful it will be as an addition to most peoples' tool shed. I can't help but feel it's a circular saw designed for people that are too scared to purchase a real circular saw!

I think is would be a really useful bit of kit if all you ever wanted to cut was very thin wood, say perhaps if you had a load of laminate flooring to lay. I pressed the circular saw into action to cut wood for a shelf in an alcove and making a rack of coat hooks. The board that the coat hooks are mounted on is just general 'skirting board' type pine. The saw couldn't even cut through this with one pass on its deepest setting. It was necessary to cut from one side, flip it over and try to line up a second cut in the same place. I ended up resorting to using a jigsaw!

If cutting thin wood, the saw is very easy to set up and use, and it cuts a nice straight line. I also like the idea that you can swap the cutting blade for a tile cutter. I think it could probably work very well for this but haven't tried it!

The instruction book suggests that you can use this saw to make a 'plunge cut' into the middle of a bit of wood rather than cutting in from the edge. It does say that he saw could kick back, but even when prepared for it, it was very severe and I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary.

There is an attachment to connect a Hoover pipe to suck away the sawdust, which was easy to fit, but I didn't actually try using it. The saw comes in a really nice, sturdy carry case, with room for spare blades (the saw comes with 2 blades and a tile cutter).

Fat Gripz The Ultimate Arm Builder - Blue, Original
Fat Gripz The Ultimate Arm Builder - Blue, Original
Price: 34.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely makes a difference to lifting!, 31 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received a pair of fatgripz via the vine programme. Unless the packaging was a sample only one, it leaves a little to be desired in terms of feeling like a quality job. They were simply sealed into a black plastic bag with a sticker on it; I would normally hope for a little more for 35. There were no in-pack instructions, the sticker simply points you to read the Fatgripz website.

However, for a mildly disappointing start, the Fatgrips themselves are a good item. They are much more solid than I imagined! I've read about them in magazines before and always thought they would be slightly squishy, but they're actually very solid rubber and provide a good grip. I have tried them on my gym's Olympic bars and dumbells and there were no issues with fit at all. I have also managed to successfully use them on kettle bells at home.

Personally, I found they made more of a difference to any of my 'pull' type lifts where you have an overhand grip on the bar, definitely encouraging a firmer grip and working the forearms harder. However I remain to be completely convinced on push type lifts (shoulder presses, chest press etc). The fatgripz website claims that spreading the weight across a wider area puts less pressure on the joints. I found it made the lift 'seem' easier, but certainly didn't give the instant feeling of having worked harder that the gripz do when pulling.

The nice thing about these is that they can be easily thrown into your gym bag and pulled out and used within seconds.

Case Logic QTS208K Sleeve for iPad Mini/ Kindle Fire Tablet
Case Logic QTS208K Sleeve for iPad Mini/ Kindle Fire Tablet
Price: 24.95

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit 'roomy' for Kindle Fire., 11 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Build and quality wise, this case is faultless, being extremely well made and with a good quality zip around it. It is probably the strongest and most solid case I've ever had! However, when I put my Kindle Fire in it, the fit was too loose, causing it to slip and slide around inside. I don't particularly like the elastic straps that hold it in either, as combined with the loose fit for the Kindle Fire, it feels like it could fall out.

Personally, if I was travelling and wanted the ultimate level of protection, I would choose this every time, on the basis of the zip and the solid casing. However, if I was at home and wanted a case that enabled quick and easy access to the Kindle Fire, I would go for something different, as the Kindle is pretty hard to operate whilst in this case, meaning you have to take it out and put it back in each time.

Books of the Dead: Manuals for Living and Dying (Art and Imagination)
Books of the Dead: Manuals for Living and Dying (Art and Imagination)
by Stanislav Grof
Price: 7.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A product of its time!, 4 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On the positive side, it's a nice compact book with some great illustrations, even if they do seem somewhat randomly arranged throughout the book. There is some great information in here, especially for those unacquainted with the subject matter, as it gives a good overview that would act as a great springboard for further exploration. Personally I don't have any major problem with the exploration of drug induced states and its relationship to out of body experiences etc, although it does at time seem a little old-fashioned at times.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20