Profile for Mr. M. P. Duffy > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Duffy

Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vibe FLI Over-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone - White
Vibe FLI Over-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound quality and really comfortable!, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones offer really amazing sound quality, and I must accept that their claims about 'extreme bass' are well founded!

I received these through the vine programme. I would probably have been put off by the styling if I was purchasing, but that's just personal preference. White shiny plastic is a bit too much of an 80s reminder for me! That said, they're very well put together and very comfortable!

They come nicely packaged. The box contains the headphones and a 'flat' jack lead. The ends are gold plated 3.5mm jacks which always adds a quality feel for me (nothing worse than decent headphones with cheap leads!). My only issue with the lead is that the jack plugs themselves are at a 90 degree angle to the lead. This makes the plug sit satisfyingly flat to the back of the headphone where they connect, but as there's a recess for the plug, it's actually quite fiddly to unplug again.

The headphones fold up (which doesn't make them much smaller if I'm honest!)

There's an inline microphone and remote, however there's no instructions on how many clicks for what function! I can't even find any instructions on the vibe website!

All in all, these give really great sound quality for the price.

Revell Mini Quadcopter Nano Quad Pro with Looping Function
Revell Mini Quadcopter Nano Quad Pro with Looping Function

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but worryingly delicate feeling!, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fun, but still can't master the loop and feels quite delicate!

I opened the box and was surprised by quite how 'nano' it is!!! It's tiny!

The instructions are pretty hopeless! There's about 15 different languages-worth and they're not very easy to follow. That said I got there quite quickly.

I can't stress enough to start with very small adjustments on the power! It's very, very responsive to input. I managed to send it careering across the room into things a number of times on the first flight. In doing so I managed to bend a blade (it comes with spares) although I did manage to gently bend it back into place and avoid using a spare one up. There's only 4 spares so it wouldn't be hard to use them all up quite quickly!

It's best to persevere with low level flying as it seems that once you get a few inches off the floor the lift dynamic changes and the slightest additional power sends it quickly heading for the ceiling. It's then quite challenging to level off again - I seem to end up in an up/down yoyo flight! As such I've still not been able to master the oop the loop!

This is a fun toy, and for such a tiny thing you get a satisfyingly decent flying time per charge.

Word of warning, if you have inquisitive dogs, they will be seriously interested in this! I have to keep my two terriers well clear!!!!!

Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent two-in-one if you have stubble and part-shaved face!!!!, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really useful shaver for someone that has both stubble and shaved areas of the face!

I previously had a stubble trimmer for the main part of my facial hair, and an electric shaver for my neck which I like to keep clean-shaven. Now I only need one bit of kit in the bathroom (it will be a particular bonus when travelling!).

I'm always slightly sceptical of two-in-ones as I always fear that you will end up compromising on one part. Not so here. The shaver gets really close and even though there's only two cutting heads, they pivot nicely to follow all contours of the face easily. The trimmer is equally useful - there are a number of different selectable lengths for your stubble which are easily selected with a small lever on the back of the head piece. It snaps into position and feels like it won't ever slip (resulting in mis-selected stubble length!).

The heads interchange easily. It feels like a very secure fit, but of course it's hard to review how this will hold up in the long term. Feels like it should be good. I was a little nervous detaching a head for the first time as you have to give a pretty significant tug to get it off! The shaver head top comes off easily for cleaning.

The charge seems to last ages!

The box contains charger (two pin shaver type plug), body, 2 heads and a little cleaning brush.

Nice bit of kit.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only good for low carb, but also useful for non-meat, high protein recipe ideas too!, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not only is this an excellent collection of low carb or no carb recipes, but it is also of interest as a vegetarian that tries to eat a reasonably high amount of protein for gym-going purposes!

The book is very nicely presented with good photographs for nearly every recipe (not quite all). There's a useful introduction which talks about some of the dominant ingredients such as pulses, quinoa and chia, which some people may not be familiar with. It's laid out in a series of chapters such as breakfasts, light snacks, soups, sides and salads etc and there's a nice chapter of puddings at the end!

Although it's a mixture of meat and vegetarian dishes, even to a veggie this will be a useful book. I would say that pretty much every chapter is made of an even mix of meat/veggie recipes.

As mentioned in my opener, many of the recipes utilise pulses to add bulk without resorting to pasta/potatoes etc. and as a non-meat eater these also represent some really good ways to hit a high protein diet without relying on meat substitutes. The introductory section does suggest that a diet of many pulses can cause excessive wind, but I can honestly say that once you eat a lot of them, this effect really isn't true!!!!!

Ultrasport Laser Bicycle Safety Light
Ultrasport Laser Bicycle Safety Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but not very elegantly designed!, 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is a nice idea, but it's just unfortunate that it's not very elegant in its design!

The bike light has two laser lines which project out the bottom and leave 'lane markers' on the road. It also has a row of nice bright LEDs which can be switched on independently of the lasers and in differing patterns of flash.

The whole thing works well and is simple to fit, but as I say in my first line of review it's not elegant. It's very clunky in its design and when compared to the size of some modern bike lights it just seems like something out of the dark ages!

BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle Incl. 4 Filter Discs - Green
BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle Incl. 4 Filter Discs - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice filter bottle - good quality and simple to use., 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This drinking bottle is really nice. It's BPA free which I look for in a bottle, and it does exactly what you'd hope - nicely filtered water!

It's very easy to use. Nice that it comes with a decent amount of filters to get you going. I must say you're much better off buying the filters online than in the shops. They tend to work out approx. £1 each online whereas they're nearly double that in the supermarket.

You need to make sure you screw the top on tight enough to make a seal, otherwise no water comes up the straw (which can be removed if you find it weird drinking with your head down).

My only gripe quality-wise is that the coloured rubber which runs round the top and under the clasp has started to come away from the white plastic just under the clasp from you constantly rubbing across it as you flip open the top.

My only other suggestion is not to dishwasher the bottle (it is suitable to) with anything else in the dishwasher which is strong flavoured! I washed mine the same night as some curry dishes and the rubber picked up the taste for a few days!!!!!!

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good practical guide to cooking seasonally!, 10 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have too many cookbooks, but his one has made it into my special shelf in the kitchen for cookbooks that get used more than once or twice! This book is particularly useful if, like me, you grow vegetables and/or use a vegetable box scheme as it is laid out in a seasonal order. Moreover, like the Riverford cookbook it also has a quite a few ideas for what to do with leftovers. As a vegetarian there are quite a few recipes which I will have to adapt as there are quite a few meat recipes, but overall it has lots of good solid recipes that aren't too complicated to knock up after a days work!

Mr Muscle Oxy Stain Remover Fresh Scent
Mr Muscle Oxy Stain Remover Fresh Scent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 10 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've only used this on dog vomit and urine so far, but I have to say it has worked wonders. Once the mass has been removed and cleaned, you spray this onto it and then leave for a couple of minutes, dab with a cloth and leave until dry, at which point you just run the Hoover over it. Not only did it neutralise the odour, but the smell of the product itself is fresh and clean. Moreover, it didn't stain the fabric, which was lucky as I was too lazy to test it's colour-fastness!

Braun MQ500 Hand Blender, 600 Watt, Grey/ White
Braun MQ500 Hand Blender, 600 Watt, Grey/ White

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice blender - very powerful blending capability., 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very good hand blender.

Nice, quality finish in grey rubberised material which makes it feel secure in the hand. The single or double speed buttons are easy to use. It feels heavy, but only in a reassuringly well put together way - not in a sense of being cumbersome to use!

There's lots of write up in the description about the shape of the head and how this enhances it's blending power, and I have to say it does a better job than my previous cheap item from a certain German brand cheap supermarket. It also comes apart easily for washing of the blade head.

If I had one criticism it is that the jug doesn't have a rubberised bottom to hold it securely on the kitchen side. That's one area where said German supermarket brand comes out on top!

The product description on Amazon begins by saying about 7 different attachments. I think there's been a muddle with a full-on food processor because this is definitely only a hand blender with one head attachment.

Quad Lock Bike Kit for iPhone 5/5S - Black/Blue
Quad Lock Bike Kit for iPhone 5/5S - Black/Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cycling accessory!, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this item through the Amazon Vine programme and it couldn't have come at a better time. I had been considering the purchase of one of these for a while, but was hesitating at spending the right amount. Some similar products on amazon and eBay are much cheaper than this, but I was concerned about the quality. When trusting a £500 phone on a moving vehicle security of fitting is an absolute must, however spending a higher amount seemed a little frivolous!

I would have no hesitation in paying the RRP for this item. It is neat, simple and absolutely secure on the bike. It comes with very simple instructions. I chose to use the cable ties in addition the the rubber band fittings as I don't intend to swap it between bikes. The anchoring feels incredibly secure and hasn't moved a millimetre since installation. As for the locking mechanism itself - pure genius! It feels so secure. The spring loaded locking collar which has to be very positively pushed down to release the phone is brilliant. I only say has to be 'very positively pushed down' in the sense that it's a very definite lock, not that it's hard to do! The action itself is very easy.

The only thing I can't comment on is the rain cover, as I have not yet had cause to use that part of the accessory. It appears to fit very well and wrap round the sides of the phone nicely and the touch screen work perfectly through it - I just can't guarantee that it works well at keeping rain off the handset as I've not experienced it yet. I have no doubt it will because of the excellent workings of the rest of the clip.

My only word of advice is to consider reflections on the screen! My first outing happened to be bright sunshine and because of the time of day and position of the sun I kept blinding myself with a reflection! A small tweak of the angle resolved this, but I am considering purchasing an anti-glare screen protector for the phone to see if that helps.

I am now considering purchasing the running arm band accessory too to save having numerous different clips to keep having to pop my phone into!

A great accessory.