Profile for Mr. M. P. Duffy > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Duffy

Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by OutdoorHero

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent GPS heart rate health tracking watch, but be prepared for a super-long manual!, 3 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this through he vine programme and it was a happy coincidence - I was considering the purchase of a GPS health tracker watch so this made the decision for me!

Out of the box, it was quick to charge. The USB clip charger (which doubles as the data cable) can be a little fiddly to clip in exactly the right spot, so sometimes it's necessary to fiddle the clip round until the battery charging symbol appears - then you know you've got a good connection.

For full connectivity it is necessary to download the polar flow app to your mobile / iPad and there is also PC software which is necessary to be able to update the firmware on the watch. You have to download the latest version before it will work properly.

It is easy to set initial details such as weight, height, age, sex etc. to give more accurate readings. It is also extremely easy to pair the heart rate monitor (included) which is comfortable to wear and easy to adjust. My only disappointment is that to fully complete all the fitness tests it suggests in the instructions, it is necessary to purchase other Bluetooth sensor add-ons.

At this point I should say that the strap is very tight! It's difficult to pass the loose end through the retaining band. It has just started becoming easier after about a month!

The PDF manual is ridiculously long. I have to admit I have not yet made the time to sit and see everything which the v800 can do as it's too overwhelming! I have discovered enough to keep me satisfied for the time being.

Starting exercise tracking is simple. The are a number of screens available to switch between whilst tracking which give lots of information. I was glad to find one which still allows you to see the time, but it's a shame that you can't track 'in the background' and just leave the normal watch face displayed. The watch will also track without pairing the heart rate monitor.

Tracking gives you some really useful data. A GPS map do your route, heart rate, altitude graph, speed graph etc. All this comes once you've uploaded to your connected device into the PolarFlow app. I've been using mine with an iPad and iPhone and this has been really simple, but does require Bluetooth to be switched on. The app also gives a diary view of all completed workouts etc. My only disappointment is that there's no option to share with Facebook etc at the push of a button. I used to use runkeeper to track my runs and could easily share in this way.

The stopwatch and countdown functions are way too fiddly to be really useful in my opinion.

All in all so far I have been very happy with the way the watch works. It holds a long battery charge and for simple tracking which gives some useful training feedback it is real lye say to use. I have yet to delve further into the ridiculously long manual to see how much more I can get it to do, mainly because I don't really feel the need to for my type of use!

Bitmore Juucee 2600mAh Ultra Compact Portable Battery Backup Charger with LED Torch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad charging capability, but a couple of quality issues., 29 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a useful little gadget if you're often out and about away from power points. It would be useful, for example, if you were away camping for a weekend.

The product itself is a reasonable size - small enough to easily tuck in a pocket in a coat. The initial charge from a laptop didn't take too long - I would say a few hours maybe. This provided enough power to fully charge an iPhone 5s from empty and also complete just under a 50% charge on a flat batteried iPad mini.

The only issues I found were as follows: the USB connection into the charger feels very cheaply put together. It was very difficult to plug the cable in without feeling like you were running the risk of damaging the thin connecting strip. Also, there is an LED torch included which is a useful idea, however the switch is supposed to be 3 positioned; off, on without torch and on with torch. We could only select on with torch or off. So the above quoted charging capability is with the LED torch running the whole time!

Not a bad item, but just with a couple of minor quality issues.

AEG AG3013 Ergorapido Li-ion Tungsten Metallic 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 18 V

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall this vacuum is very impressive. It charges quickly and holds a charge for about 45 mins of use, during which there is no discernible reduction in its ability to vacuum. The upright vacuum is also vey lightweight and easy to manoeuvre. The motorised brush head aids considerably in picking up dust and dog hairs, but it's not quite as powerful as my Dyson.

The handheld unit is easily detached from the main body of the upright and has detachable head so you can use the crevice tool with or without the brush. One minor complaint is that the crevice tool is stored on the charging base behind the upright you have to remove the entire upright vacuum from the charger to get to it. This is a pain if you just want to quickly run round the edges with the handheld unit.

We did have a minor issue with an error warning, which didn't quite seem to correspond with any of the light patterns in the manual, but after trying the old switch off, leave to rest and switch on that was rectified quickly! Since then we have had no other problems.

Vibe FLI Over-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone - White
Vibe FLI Over-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone - White
Offered by savvybuys2

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound quality and really comfortable!, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones offer really amazing sound quality, and I must accept that their claims about 'extreme bass' are well founded!

I received these through the vine programme. I would probably have been put off by the styling if I was purchasing, but that's just personal preference. White shiny plastic is a bit too much of an 80s reminder for me! That said, they're very well put together and very comfortable!

They come nicely packaged. The box contains the headphones and a 'flat' jack lead. The ends are gold plated 3.5mm jacks which always adds a quality feel for me (nothing worse than decent headphones with cheap leads!). My only issue with the lead is that the jack plugs themselves are at a 90 degree angle to the lead. This makes the plug sit satisfyingly flat to the back of the headphone where they connect, but as there's a recess for the plug, it's actually quite fiddly to unplug again.

The headphones fold up (which doesn't make them much smaller if I'm honest!)

There's an inline microphone and remote, however there's no instructions on how many clicks for what function! I can't even find any instructions on the vibe website!

All in all, these give really great sound quality for the price.

Revell Mini Quadcopter Nano Quad Pro with Looping Function
Revell Mini Quadcopter Nano Quad Pro with Looping Function

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but worryingly delicate feeling!, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fun, but still can't master the loop and feels quite delicate!

I opened the box and was surprised by quite how 'nano' it is!!! It's tiny!

The instructions are pretty hopeless! There's about 15 different languages-worth and they're not very easy to follow. That said I got there quite quickly.

I can't stress enough to start with very small adjustments on the power! It's very, very responsive to input. I managed to send it careering across the room into things a number of times on the first flight. In doing so I managed to bend a blade (it comes with spares) although I did manage to gently bend it back into place and avoid using a spare one up. There's only 4 spares so it wouldn't be hard to use them all up quite quickly!

It's best to persevere with low level flying as it seems that once you get a few inches off the floor the lift dynamic changes and the slightest additional power sends it quickly heading for the ceiling. It's then quite challenging to level off again - I seem to end up in an up/down yoyo flight! As such I've still not been able to master the oop the loop!

This is a fun toy, and for such a tiny thing you get a satisfyingly decent flying time per charge.

Word of warning, if you have inquisitive dogs, they will be seriously interested in this! I have to keep my two terriers well clear!!!!!

Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent two-in-one if you have stubble and part-shaved face!!!!, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really useful shaver for someone that has both stubble and shaved areas of the face!

I previously had a stubble trimmer for the main part of my facial hair, and an electric shaver for my neck which I like to keep clean-shaven. Now I only need one bit of kit in the bathroom (it will be a particular bonus when travelling!).

I'm always slightly sceptical of two-in-ones as I always fear that you will end up compromising on one part. Not so here. The shaver gets really close and even though there's only two cutting heads, they pivot nicely to follow all contours of the face easily. The trimmer is equally useful - there are a number of different selectable lengths for your stubble which are easily selected with a small lever on the back of the head piece. It snaps into position and feels like it won't ever slip (resulting in mis-selected stubble length!).

The heads interchange easily. It feels like a very secure fit, but of course it's hard to review how this will hold up in the long term. Feels like it should be good. I was a little nervous detaching a head for the first time as you have to give a pretty significant tug to get it off! The shaver head top comes off easily for cleaning.

The charge seems to last ages!

The box contains charger (two pin shaver type plug), body, 2 heads and a little cleaning brush.

Nice bit of kit.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only good for low carb, but also useful for non-meat, high protein recipe ideas too!, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not only is this an excellent collection of low carb or no carb recipes, but it is also of interest as a vegetarian that tries to eat a reasonably high amount of protein for gym-going purposes!

The book is very nicely presented with good photographs for nearly every recipe (not quite all). There's a useful introduction which talks about some of the dominant ingredients such as pulses, quinoa and chia, which some people may not be familiar with. It's laid out in a series of chapters such as breakfasts, light snacks, soups, sides and salads etc and there's a nice chapter of puddings at the end!

Although it's a mixture of meat and vegetarian dishes, even to a veggie this will be a useful book. I would say that pretty much every chapter is made of an even mix of meat/veggie recipes.

As mentioned in my opener, many of the recipes utilise pulses to add bulk without resorting to pasta/potatoes etc. and as a non-meat eater these also represent some really good ways to hit a high protein diet without relying on meat substitutes. The introductory section does suggest that a diet of many pulses can cause excessive wind, but I can honestly say that once you eat a lot of them, this effect really isn't true!!!!!

Ultrasport Laser Bicycle Safety Light
Ultrasport Laser Bicycle Safety Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but not very elegantly designed!, 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is a nice idea, but it's just unfortunate that it's not very elegant in its design!

The bike light has two laser lines which project out the bottom and leave 'lane markers' on the road. It also has a row of nice bright LEDs which can be switched on independently of the lasers and in differing patterns of flash.

The whole thing works well and is simple to fit, but as I say in my first line of review it's not elegant. It's very clunky in its design and when compared to the size of some modern bike lights it just seems like something out of the dark ages!

BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle Incl. 4 Filter Discs - Green
BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle Incl. 4 Filter Discs - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice filter bottle - good quality and simple to use., 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This drinking bottle is really nice. It's BPA free which I look for in a bottle, and it does exactly what you'd hope - nicely filtered water!

It's very easy to use. Nice that it comes with a decent amount of filters to get you going. I must say you're much better off buying the filters online than in the shops. They tend to work out approx. £1 each online whereas they're nearly double that in the supermarket.

You need to make sure you screw the top on tight enough to make a seal, otherwise no water comes up the straw (which can be removed if you find it weird drinking with your head down).

My only gripe quality-wise is that the coloured rubber which runs round the top and under the clasp has started to come away from the white plastic just under the clasp from you constantly rubbing across it as you flip open the top.

My only other suggestion is not to dishwasher the bottle (it is suitable to) with anything else in the dishwasher which is strong flavoured! I washed mine the same night as some curry dishes and the rubber picked up the taste for a few days!!!!!!

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good practical guide to cooking seasonally!, 10 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have too many cookbooks, but his one has made it into my special shelf in the kitchen for cookbooks that get used more than once or twice! This book is particularly useful if, like me, you grow vegetables and/or use a vegetable box scheme as it is laid out in a seasonal order. Moreover, like the Riverford cookbook it also has a quite a few ideas for what to do with leftovers. As a vegetarian there are quite a few recipes which I will have to adapt as there are quite a few meat recipes, but overall it has lots of good solid recipes that aren't too complicated to knock up after a days work!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20