Profile for DD > Reviews

James Taylor - Mud Slide Slim And The Blue Horizon [Japan LTD CD] WPCR-78046
Offered by musicjapan
Price: 9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Jame's best album, 19 April 2014
I have just purchased the remastered Japanese version of the album. The cd brings the recording to life. Jame's best album IMHO, sweet baby james comes close second. The production, song writing and mood of the album is perfect. One of the few albums I still like to hear without skipping a track. James is joined by Carole king and Joni Mitchell on some of the songs.

Power to the People - the Hits (Remastered)
Power to the People - the Hits (Remastered)
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Gimme Some Truth Yoko!, 2 Mar 2013
This is more an observation than a critique. I have seen this cover photo in the past of John in NYC. He is holding a cigarette in his right hand, It's been airbrushed out on this cover. Are we trying to rewrite history and show Lennon in a more saintly light? He smoked, big deal! He was all about honesty. I bought the CD anyway, and it's a good compilation.

If you want to see the original just search Google Images for 'Lennon tough'.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds of London in 1980, 7 Nov 2012
Alternative underground unsigned (at that time) bands from the London scene. Some interesting tracks but the standout track has to be "The Turmoil of Man' by Bree Factory.

Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved audio on the 2011 release, 22 Nov 2011
I had the LP in the 70's and then the CD when it was released in the 80's. I decided to buy this hoping that the sound quality would be improved from the 80's CD. I am very happy to say that the audio is amazing. It hasn't been compressed like the previous CD and the audio is crisp and clear. It is a fantastic collection and surprisingly, the live tracks are as good as, or better than the studio recordings. The harmonies on the live version of Homeward Bound are worth the purchase alone. The CD comes in jewel case. The only criticism (and this is why it loses a star) is that the booklet has no additional notes. Only the track listing.

The track listing is as follows;

1 Mrs. Robinson"
2 For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (live)
3 The Boxer
4 The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (live)
5 The Sound of Silence"
6 I Am a Rock"
7 Scarborough Fair/Canticle
8 Homeward Bound" (live)
9 Bridge over Troubled Water
10 America
11 Kathy's Song" (live)
12 El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
13 Bookends
14 Cecilia
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 7:05 AM GMT

American Graffiti Vol.2
American Graffiti Vol.2
Price: 8.10

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT Volume 2, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: American Graffiti Vol.2 (Audio CD)
This CD is compiled from songs from the original American Graffiti CD compilation and has no additional tracks. Calling it Volume 2 is misleading. If you want music from the film it's best to buy the original 2 CD compilation with 41 tracks (and at the moment on Amazon the 2 CD is cheaper)!

The Rolling Stones Boxset / Slipcase & 4 Albums
The Rolling Stones Boxset / Slipcase & 4 Albums
Price: 43.56

3.0 out of 5 stars You can't always get what you want.., 10 May 2009
First of all, the music deserves 5 stars. I'm simply writing about the repackaging/remastering.

I already have the previous remasters (and the ones before that!) and on comparison these ones have a brighter, clearer sound. However, the adverts surrounding these reissues talked about original artwork and sleeve design. All you get is the usual cd booklet in a new super jewel cd case. Nothing extra. You even get the obligatory barcode stamped over the artwork. I purchased the 4 CD set in a Slipcase. Don't bother. The slipcase is flimsy card and a lost opportunity. Why not take a tip from the Japanese who repackage cd's so well. I wouldn't mind paying more for a quality item.

Crazy Horses / The Plan
Crazy Horses / The Plan
Price: 10.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost opportunity..., 27 July 2008
This review is from: Crazy Horses / The Plan (Audio CD)
I bought this because I like the song 'crazy horses' and thought the album might contain other gems...and it does. A standout track for me is the ballad "And You Love Me'. I'd never heard it before. If you like the Osmonds this is a good deal and has an informative booklet with pictures of album and singles from the era. However, I've taken away 2 stars because of the sound quality. I noticed while wearing a good pair of headphones that it hasn't been remastered and sounds a little bit muffled. I have an earlier CD compilation of their greatest hits from 1996 and the songs like Let me In, and Crazy Horses etc. sound far better. It's a pity. A lost opportunity but a good deal I suppose.

Surf's Up [Limited Edition] [Japanese Import]
Surf's Up [Limited Edition] [Japanese Import]
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK
Price: 40.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one weak track..., 18 July 2008
I already have the great 2 CD album with Sunflower and Surf's up. I bought this thinking it was a Japanese Mini LP replica sleeve. It's not. It is a regular CD with an OBI slip and has been 24 Bit digitally remastered. I feel the 2 cd version is a better deal but this new version has slightly superior sound quality. The only weak track in my opinion is Student Demonstration Time.

Captain Fantastic Amd The Brown Dirt Cowboy [Japanese Paper
Captain Fantastic Amd The Brown Dirt Cowboy [Japanese Paper
Offered by DVDMAX-UK
Price: 13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Repackaging not up to usual high Japanese standards., 28 Sep 2007
The vinyl replica sleeve is great but I was hoping to get the original lyrics and photo booklets and poster that came with the original album. Normally Japanese mini-LP's are exact replicas. It comes with one booklet with lyrics and info (in Japanese and English) and obi. The music on this CD deserves 5 stars but most buyers will already have a regular copy. This one is for collectors! I also bought other CD's in this series and the same thing applies to many of them. Tumbleweed and Madman include the original booklets but they're not stapled or stuck in the gatefold sleeve like the original vinyl. It's inserted in the sleeve. Not a big deal but I was hoping it would be an exact replica.

Mamy Blue
Mamy Blue
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY
Price: 4.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for...., 12 Feb 2007
This review is from: Mamy Blue (Audio CD)
I was looking for the version of Mamy Blue that I remembered from 1971. The single I used to own was sung in English. This sounds like the same backing track but Ricky sings the whole song in German. It may be the definitive version as Ricky Shayne is from Germany but it's not what I was hoping for.

Page: 1 | 2