Profile for Wayne M. > Reviews

Wayne M.

Bittersweet
Bittersweet

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet - Lewis Taylor, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Bittersweet (Audio CD)
Why on earth isn't this guy topping the charts!?
A true musical genius to rival Prince IMO. I seem to be 10 years too late. I've bought an listend to at least 5 of his albums and there are very few I dislike or wold consider to be weak songs. Plus the fact he's playing most and in some cases all of the instruments!

Where is Lewis Taylor now?? At least someone hire him to write for some of these 'artists' currently clogging the charts!!!

A Rise in the Road
A Rise in the Road
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 13.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Yellowjackets - Rise in the Road, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Rise in the Road (Audio CD)
I was very excited a the prospect of hearing a new bassist integrate into the YJ soundscape. Jimmy Haslip had been a such a major component since the beginning. So for the son of the legendary Jaco Pastorious - Felix to join the ranks, I was REALLY looking forward to hearing how things would differ.

To be honest, I listened to the album a few times and don't miss it. To me it feels like Felix has been placed in a corner and been told to fit into the box. (Including his general tone) I've seen live youtubes where he gets a chance to really shine and he has this 'modern fusion bass tone' which is usually quite middy. But on the album, he's been pulled back a lot and I would hazard a guess, been told to have similar tone to Jimmy. As a bassist, I have modelled my own tone on the likes of JH, so I do't mind the similarities at all. There is also a risk of alienating fans with something radically different. For me, that's part of the problem, whilst I am a huge fan of the YJ and their sound, I think things are starting to sound dare I say it - samey?

The compositions are nice to good and clearly these guys are incredible musicians and tight as a unit. I think I they erred on the side of caution with this one. It's a good album, but it not one of their best IMO. I will always be a fan and look forward to the next album with Felix more integrated into the band with HIS sound.

Interspirit
Interspirit
Price: 13.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Promises much, delivers little., 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Interspirit (Audio CD)
I am a HUGE AJ fan, so was eager to hear his first solo album. I played it in my living room, my house mate commented 'Which computer game is this?'
Sums it up in a nutshell. To my ear, the content of some of the compositions doesn't 'ring true' the neo classical type tracks are frankly poorly written. AJ's playing is of course impeccable, but he's not been given a great deal to work with. What's even more disappointing is the fact he didn't contribute a single tune or a solo!

Considering the wealth of albums AJ has played on for other people, I can't possibly think that such an incredible player has absolutely no compositional fiber in his being?!!
AJ needs to write his own album and solo from time to time.

Just hugely disappointed with the album, one would be far better off listening to his work with Michael Petrucciani, Michel Camilo, Steve Khan, Chick Corea, Lee Ritenour etc.

Lost Album, The [Digipack] [Us Import]
Lost Album, The [Digipack] [Us Import]
Price: 28.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence Personified!, 9 Dec 2012
The first thing that strikes you about the CD when it arrives is the fact it's actually square shaped like a mini record and even has a paper inner sleeve!
It's a nice touch although it makes it impossible to store it in a regular CD rack, maybe it deserves it's own special place...

This album takes goes in a different direction from the previous 3 (or 4) with more of a rock feel and more emphasis on Beach Boy type harmonies.
I can't say enough about this guy! It's a disgrace that such a talent is not rightly recognised as one of the UK's greatest artists.
I'm not going to review each track, Lewis never does anything substandard and this album is a worthy addition to the collection.
There's a nice addition of 3 acoustic versions Lucky and the others simply entitled 'Track' and 'Song'

It's a shame certain albums are hard/expensive to get hold of.

I truly hope Lewis releases another album or better still, do some live gigs. I know there'd be a huge response from true music fans!

Miles Smiles
Miles Smiles
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles Smiles, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Miles Smiles (Audio CD)
Whilst being a jazz fan and love Kind of Blue, I've not fully explored the repertoire of Miles Davis. A drummer friend of mine was lamenting the fact he had to learn the drum part of Footprints. It's become a 'bog standard' standard, in that it's a tune that will come up in jam nights, like Blue Bossa etc. So I thought, this part couldn't be anything spectacular - boy was I wrong! The switching of time feels is exemplary, an incredible band that have all become legends in their own right.

There are other reviews more articulate and more knowledgeable about this quintet than I, but I will put my recommendation to anyone who will read this to buy it and enjoy it!!

Superb compositions and I feel some of Mile's best playing, still thoughtful and careful note choices as he was famed for, but there's an added dose of virtuosity that leaps out.

A great album, arguably his best quintet line up ever.

Harlequin
Harlequin

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Grusin/Lee Retinour - Harlequin, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Harlequin (Audio CD)
I bought this album after reading a biography about Lee Ritenour's discography, especially as this particular album was Brazilian themed. Considering this album was recorded in 1985, the clarity is superb although ever so slightly bass light.
The line up is superb, as you would expect from a GRP album from this era, with Abe Laboriel, Jimmy Johnson, Carlos Vega, Ivan Lins, Harvey Mason, Paulinho Da Costa AND Alex Acuna. I'm not going to give a run down of each track, judge for yourself by either buying it or checking first on Spotify.

There is a definite Brazilian feel to the album and feels pretty authentic. Very well written tunes. I was fortunate to get a used copy for only a few pounds, I've seen this at over 24 on import! Well worth checking out! Lee and David make a great combination as writers and performers and this represents a superb album from the golden era of the GRP years.

Wake Up!
Wake Up!
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up! John Legend and The Roots, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Wake Up! (Audio CD)
Arrived today as 'nearly new' but looked like it hadn't been played. Was surprised to find a bonus 25min DVD showing the guys in the studio and interviewed about the concept of the album.

Again amazing value for money. I paid about 4 for this, the CD is just as good, if not slightly better musically with a larger lineup of backing vocals, horn and string sections. The DVD audio is more detailed but that's a given. It's far from being a disappointment!
I've been a fan of the Roots since the late 90's and the fact that they are still on top of their game and still relevant in an industry that normally gives a band a 5 year window, is testament to their incredible musicianship. John Legend works very well with this group of musicians and sounds great, a whole lotta soul goin' on!

A great choice of songs, not the obvious choices but that's the good point about it.

Worth every penny even at full price, but all the sweeter getting it at a bargain price!

Live From The Cocoanut Grove [DVD] [2008]
Live From The Cocoanut Grove [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Lee Ritenour
Offered by collectorsheaven
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Live From The Cocoanut Grove, 24 Nov 2012
I have been a Lee Ritenour fan for many years and as a bassist, a huge fan of mainstays, Abe Laboriel Snr, Nathan East and my all time favourite Anthony Jackson.
If you want to hear impeccable grove, melodic interplay and virtuosic fills, then this DVD is must! Not only for bassists, but the line up is superb and displays incredible musicianship throughout.

I bought a used copy for only 9 and arrived in 5days in pristine condition. The recording took place in 1990, so apart from the old school digital keyboards of the time, the calibre of the compositions stand the test of time and don't sound 'of their time' like a lot of 80/90s fusion has a habit of doing. I can't recommend the album highly enough.

Both volumes in one package represents incredible value for money. Another plus point is having Lee predominantly on acoustic guitar, which gives a lovely timbre on top of the mainly electric ensemble.

Buy it before it goes out of print!