Profile for Mr. J. Brown > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Brown

Mr. J. Brown "Jaffa Brown" (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Transcend 64GB Premium SDXC Class 10 UHS-I 300x Memory Card
Transcend 64GB Premium SDXC Class 10 UHS-I 300x Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars this is great., 21 Dec. 2014
It works as expected, and at a cheap price. Nothing more to say really. If you need a cheap SD card, this is great.

Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16X Blu-Ray CD DVD Internal Drive 3D Playback + Software + SATA Cable + IDE to SATA Power Adapter
Offered by Megalynx

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrived, but without cables, software or screws., 21 Dec. 2014
Purchased BluRay drive which was shown with software and cables. Whilst the drive arrived, it came with no cables or software - just the drive. Luckily, I did not need either the cables or the software, but if it does not come with these, it should not be listed with these items. Buyers beware. As for the drive, it works as promised and is great. Usual Windows plug and play, so does not need any drivers - just plug it in and Windows will set it up for you.

Oak Effect Wooden Floating Shelf W48x D10 x H4 cm
Oak Effect Wooden Floating Shelf W48x D10 x H4 cm
Offered by FARHAN RAFIQ

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice shelf for general use and holding phones/wallets/keys etc, 18 Dec. 2014
Purchased this shelf as a wallet, phone and key holder shelf for my hallway. It looks good. The shape is a shallow U shape - with a slighty taller back than the lip at the front - the shallow U shape means things do not slide off. It looks pretty good - the wood effect is nice. The only down side is that it is held in place by two screens through the back, and it comes with 2 peel off wood effect stickers which are supposed to cover screws - but they dont really stick or hide anything, and end up coming off.

Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For 26 - 55 inch TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 400mm x 400mm (Please check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase)
Offered by Invision Technology (UK) Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong, steady and easy to use., 18 Dec. 2014
I purchased this to hold up a HP Slate 21" tablet in our kitchen. It came with a variety of different fixings - the one already fitted was an industry standard which fits most TVs and larger tablets/VDUs via 4 screws. Very easy to fix to the wall and tablet - and very strong. It folds fairly flat (I would have preferred it folded slightly closer to the wall), and swings out a long way with a nice fluid slightly stiff action (stiff in that the screen stays where you put it, but not so stiff that its hard to swing out or put back).

The only small negative is that the angle of view is via a bolt, which you tighten or loosen with a screwdriver. Would have prefered a small level so that it was easier to adjust when the screen is actually being used.

ARVO 28740 Polythene Dust Sheet Roll 2m x 50m
ARVO 28740 Polythene Dust Sheet Roll 2m x 50m

4.0 out of 5 stars means that different sheets stick together via static which means its easy to create gaps or folds over doorways to walk ..., 18 Dec. 2014
I purchased this to protect my house from dust during a kitchen rebuild. The plastic is very very thin, but does not tear or rip, and being so thin, means that different sheets stick together via static which means its easy to create gaps or folds over doorways to walk through. Being very light, it did not come away from the walls. Also, being so big, it was easy to create a reversed tent structure to stop dust going up the stairs (a problem are to try and mask off).

Recommended.

RODO PDPY004 Prodec Zipped Door Protector Kit
RODO PDPY004 Prodec Zipped Door Protector Kit
Offered by HomewareNeeds

1.0 out of 5 stars Didnt work, 18 Dec. 2014
I tried these to protect my house from dust during a kitchen rebuild. Despite taping them to the walls, the tape kept coming away from the plastic. Also, they are not long enough to do anything clever with the bottom of the sheet which means that dust gets in under the sheet. Better to use a staright polythene dust sheet which is much LARGER than the door frame and does not try to be clever with walk through sections (I used an ARVO 28740 sheet, which worked very well).

Komputerbay 8GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3 DIMM (240 pin) 1333Mhz PC3-10600 / PC3-10666 9-9-9-25 1.5v
Offered by KOMPBAY

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!! Faulty memory!, 18 Dec. 2014
I purchased two memory cards from the seller. Items were listed as tested. Whilst they arrived appearing to be in good condition, both cards were reported by my server and a memory card tester as faulty. Dont waste your time with these.

Manfrotto MKC3-P02 Compact Photo Kit - Grey
Manfrotto MKC3-P02 Compact Photo Kit - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars A great holiday tripod, 3 Dec. 2012
I was looking for a holiday tripod for overseas trips - something which was light to carry, sturdy, easy to set up, small when closed but reasonably tall when opened up. I tried three different tripods, and this was the best of the bunch.

In terms of weight, you cannot forget you have it with you (its not that light), but if is light enough that it does not bother you or slow you down. The same goes for the compacted size - when its closed, its the perfect size for holding or strapping to a camera bag. Its also really good for putting in a suitcase - throw it in and you wont have any travel problems. I spent a LONG walking holiday in Sri Lanka with this either in my hand, or strapped to my camera rucksuck and it did not worry me in terms of weight or size (getting in the way) - great!

In terms of use, I found that to extend to full height, you have 3 legs with 4 robust and chunky leg clips (so 12 clips in total) and I could have the clips unlocked, legs extended and secured in 10 seconds - so very fast. Its one of the things I was looking for - if I had gone for a twist action, it would have been a lot more work, and I would have used the tripod a lot less.

The head is OK. I did miss not having a decent head handle for panning, but the head it has does well and I didnt not want to splash out on a heavier head and add cost and weight. The head keeps things rock steady, as I say, just not the easiest for panning/panarama shots.

In the end, I was very happy I got this for my holidays. During my Sri Lanka trip, I must have used it 40 or 50 times, which says it was great to use - if the tripod was a pain or failed in any way, it would have gone unused.

If you need a light, compact, robust and fast travel tripod, here it is - you wont be disappointed.

Ventus G730 GPS Data Logger Black/Blue
Ventus G730 GPS Data Logger Black/Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device - once you get it working, 2 Oct. 2012
I purchased this device to allow me to tag my photographs whilst on holidays.

Pros:

+ Its a nice small device - easy to put into pocket, attach to camera bag (using the supplied cord) or keep in pocket
+ Its spot on with tracking - battery lasts around 12-14 hours and will store upto 1 month of data
+ Once software is working - it is spot on. Load up data from GPS stick (connects to PC via USB connector), it reads in GPS data, point it at photos, and it does the rest. Software shows the route taken, stopping points, and places photos on google based maps (with options to zoom in, out, change to display map or satalite, usual google maps options). Then press update button to geotag photos - updating EXIF lat and long locations in your RAW and JPG files.
+ You can configure the device to take GPS samples at different intervals - default is every 10 seconds or changed location which will then hold about 2 weeks of data - but I changed this to every 30 seconds/10 meters, and it was still spot on with all geotags, and will hold over a month of constant use of data (more, if you switch the device on when you start off in the morning, and off in the evenings).

Cons:

- Out of the box, the software does not work!! The software on the supplied CD uses Google maps with old API, and will produce all kinds of errors....

To update the software:

I started to panic when the software failed to display maps and produced script errors on my Windows 7 machines. However, found that the software had been updated (no auto update check in software) and a new version was available on a 3rd party web site. You need to go to [...] (a really awful web site) and download the updated "Canmore version" of the software (1st link). Even thought the dongle uses a Prolific Driver to talk to the dongle, DO NOT download the prolific version, as it will not accept the license key printed on the CD envelope.

Once the new software version is in place, the device and the software is faultless.

If you are looking for a cheap device for geotagging your photos, or viewing where you have travelled, this device is recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2013 1:12 PM BST

CP Tech B-Grip Evo Belt Grip For Cameras
CP Tech B-Grip Evo Belt Grip For Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but Beware of issues, 26 July 2012
I purchased a B-Grip Evo and a B-Grip hand strap because I wanted an easy access system for when I was on holiday/at events, and I wanted a hand strap to replace the neck strap on my camera which I find very annoying.

Overall, I am pleased with the system - it works well. It seems tough enough to stand wear and tear, is well designed, the camera sits VERY firmly in the cradle, and I LOVE the fact that the camera attachment has a flip out part so it turns into a foot for the camera when placing on a surface (table, walls, etc).

In terms of the B-Grip evo itself - whilst the belt is strong and rugged, I think it looks awful worn over clothes (makes you look a mess). But, I find that if you thread a jeans belt through the device, it sits on your hip very well - very comfortable. Taking the camera out for quick shots is a breeze - putting it back can take some getting used to. Whilst it gives a nice click to say it's secure, getting in place can take a little effort, and trusting it not to drop your camera for the first few hours takes even longer.

For the B-grip hand system - I prefer this over my old Canon neck strap system. I no longer have all that material swaying about - it's a pleasure to hold, and feels secure. I like the rubber feel - it makes the whole thing less slippery. The camera does not feel like it is going to slip out of my hand. Also, the design means you can pull it out of the way for battery changes - access is not an issue. The hand grip can be adjusted to 5 different sizes. I have large hands, and my hand fits nicely - can access all my camera controls - yes, all in all, 1000% better than the neck strap.

BUT, and here's where it all falls down... when you go with the B-Grip system, you have to go all in. There is no halfway house. This is because of the plate which fits to your camera - this is designed to permanently sit on your camera - and then this connects to your b-grip holder and accessories. Except, the bottom of the base plate taken up by the camera attachment screw - there is NO FEMALE THREAD available.

So, once you fit the B-Grip system, your camera will no longer fit any tripods, monopods or anything (nothing for your tripod to attach to). Which means, to get the B-Grip to work with a tripod, you need to purchase another item - the B-grip tripod attachment (another £15). This sits between your tripod head and the b-grip plate - and so it becomes quite a sandwich - the tripod head (most of which have their own release system), then the B-grip converter (which another quick release catch) and then the b-grip plate, and then the camera - which can make it all slightly less stable and a little more `chunky'. And of course, unless you want to be changing heads all the time, you will need a tripod adapter for every different tripod or monopod that you own - so that's 4 adapters for me.

The other thing to bear in mind with the B-Grip hip system are that (a) It offers no camera protection from knocks and bumps (which a padded belt camera case would offer) and (b) your camera is on show - all the time. This may not be so good in some holiday areas. However, on the flip side, the hip holder does allow you to carry a camera with larger lenses attached (which a padded holder would not allow) and to change lenses in a safe and secure way - which is a real PLUS.

I like the concept of the B-grip system. I love the hand grip and the quick access release system. But what really stops it from being perfect is the lack of female tripod thread in the camera plate. There is space in the plastic of the plate. If this thread was there, then this would then allow me the freedom to select if I want to use the tripod adapters (kerr-ching, more money for b-grip) or just screw my mini-tripods into the base plate for the odd tripod shots. Then, and only then, would b-grip be the perfect system.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3