Profile for Mr. P. Jones > Reviews

The Glencairn Official Whisky Twin Pack
The Glencairn Official Whisky Twin Pack
Offered by Mambocat

4.0 out of 5 stars Kidology?, 14 Nov 2013
I have tried my malt whiskies in tumblers and these tasting glasses. I found no difference whatsoever in the experiences. The glasses look nice though and I do use them regularly.

Early Doors - Series 1 [DVD] [2003]
Early Doors - Series 1 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Craig Cash

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 14 Nov 2013
Anybody of a certain vintage will be familiar with the characters in this comedy set in an old style pub. The writing is sharp and the observations are uncannily true to life. In my opinion, "Early Doors" is superior even to "The Royle Family". I normally find it hard to watch comedy programmes more than once but this is an honourable exception.

The Collection
The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
This compilation contains virtually all the tracks from the "Don't Look Any Further" and "Coolin' Out" albums. Some of the tracks sound a little dated but I don't care as I'm pretty dated myself. The album is worth the price just for "Don't Look Any Further" but there is plenty of other good material here.

Complete Last Recordings in Hilversum & Paris 1964 (2CD)
Complete Last Recordings in Hilversum & Paris 1964 (2CD)
Offered by reflexcd2 SHIPPING FROM THE UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Nov 2013
Eric Dolphy is my favourite musician so I am biased. I love all his work (and I have a lot of it) and this album is up to the usual peerless standard. The man can do no wrong in my eyes. Unconditionally recommended.

Shostakovich - Jazz Suites Nos 1 and 2
Shostakovich - Jazz Suites Nos 1 and 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Jazz, 14 Nov 2013
I love jazz and i like Shostakovich. Because thin was a cheap album and I was not familiar wit the pieces, I took a gamble even though classical composers seem to get it wrong with jazz. This is no exception and resembles 1930s dance band music to my ears. Otherwise, I fond the music enjoyable.

First Light
First Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: First Light (Audio CD)
Freddie Hubbard on CTI? What an marvellous combination! "First Light" stands up to any of Freddie's other work and I recommend the album without hesitation.

Ryman XC-808M Cross Cut Electric Paper Shredder
Ryman XC-808M Cross Cut Electric Paper Shredder
Offered by Ryman Stationery and Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars A Working Shredder!, 14 Nov 2013
I have bought a few shredders over the years but they have all been disappointing. This one works really well for my purposes (domestic use only). I highly recommend it.

Black Woman
Black Woman

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Album, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Black Woman (MP3 Download)
I bought the £2.99 download and consider this a bargain. I've only listened once so far but I like the album very much. I thought "Bailero" (by Canteloube) was a little weak as Linda Sharrock's vocal style does not compare well with that of a classical singer such as Kiri Te Kanawa for instance.

The album is well worth a listen at this price although I would not spend the £19.99 required for the CD vesion.

Out Front
Out Front

5.0 out of 5 stars No Review Required, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Out Front (Audio CD)
Look at the personnel - Booker Little, Eric Dolphy, Max Roach, Art Davis, Ron Carter. No need to review the album, just get it.

The Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces, Vol. 7
The Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces, Vol. 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance, 8 Oct 2013
Art Tatum was Oscar Peterson's favourite pianist. That should give you some idea of how great he was. This album is marvellous AND ridiculously cheap. I looking now at buying the collected solo masterpieces as I only have a handful of Tatum recordings.
I would strongly suggest you buy it if you are a jazz lover. Even if you don't like it you will have wasted the princely sum of £4.42!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4