Profile for RM/TM > Reviews

Content by RM/TM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 333

RM/TM (UK.)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Offered by Golden Wheel

4.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling whites from a reliable performer., 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm pretty familiar with this brand having used a number of their stain removing products over the years. Vanish Gold for Whites promises boosted performance over their standard products using their oxi action stain removal system.

I used this on a number of items including white cotton sheets and shirts with varying degrees and types of staining with decent results. The big 1.41kg tub is good for around thirty washes. There wasn't dispensing cup included with the tub but around 50g of powder in the same slot as your washing powder or liquid does the job. Setting my machine to 60 C cotton wash rather than the 90 i might usually use for stained sheets I awaited the results with interest. On taking them out after washing I was pleased to see nothing other than pristine white, fresh cotton looking as good as new.

Next test will be similar items at 40 C. I may revisit my scoring in the light of those results.

Cole & Mason 140 mm Stainless Steel and Glass Kingsley Herb and Spice Mill, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A mill for all seasons, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already have a manual and automated pepper grinder from Cole & Mason and have been very pleased with the quality of both. So when I saw this classy looking spice mill I ordered in the expectation that it would be similarly pleasing. I was not disappointed.

The mill comes with a little bag of whole spices and herbs so one can use it right away but you can easily make up your own blend for it. It's brushed steel and glass, the former housing the grinding unit and the glass allowing you to easily check the fill level, and feels substantial in hand. A simple twist allows you to open and fill it and after removing the end cap you're good to. The level of effort to grind is low and a few twists gives a generous amount of milled spice and herbs. Great for livening up a piece of meat or fish in seconds. Like other Cole & Mason products it feels solid, well made and durable and it also looks great too. It really is a fabulous wee product and I heartily recommend it.

RESEED Ginkgo and Sabal fortifying Shampoo for Women 250 ml
RESEED Ginkgo and Sabal fortifying Shampoo for Women 250 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, no medicated smell!, 27 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this shampoo are good. The packaging consists of an expensive looking rubberised bottle with flip top, and a white cardboard box. The shampoo itself is clear, and has a light fruity scent. I can't place it exactly but it reminds me a little of a Daniel Galvin shampoo I used to use which was infused with lime. I was quite relieved to find the scent of this RESEED shampoo relatively benign, as treatment shampoos often have a strongly medicinal or herbal smell, which I don't really like. The fragrance does linger a bit even after rinsing but I think most people would find it inoffensive.

The way you use this shampoo is to massage it in and leave for 2-3 minutes, rather than rinsing straight out. I was pleased to find the product lathered really well especially as I live in a hard water area. Another bonus was that despite it being a clear formulation, which I've often found translates to stripping, this shampoo did not dry out or tangle my hair - in fact I was able to comb through very easily even without having used conditioner. My hair immediately felt quite thick to touch, although obviously this will be a short-term cosmetic effect at this early stage. Since I don't really have a problem with alopecia or severe hair thinning, rather naturally fine hair and normal ageing, I don't know that I would expect to see a dramatic long term change in body and texture. However if you are someone buying this product in the hope that it may treat a problem scalp, rest assured that it seems quite pleasant to use with no obvious drawbacks, apart perhaps from the price. Btw, The next day I didn't think my hair looked particularly sleek so the price of your volumising boost may be a little bit of frizz - just so you know.

Toffee Apple Kit For 25 Toffee Apples by Loypack
Toffee Apple Kit For 25 Toffee Apples by Loypack
Offered by Yolli

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for dentists!, 12 Jan. 2015
Fun kit, nicely packaged, made a good gift to go with a trug and cookery book for relatives who have recently planted some fruit trees. The sticks are the proper wooden ones and the cellophane in big sheets so it's easy to work with. Nice bit of bonfire night nostalgia. :-)

IM+ Pro
IM+ Pro

1.0 out of 5 stars Pants., 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: IM+ Pro (App)
Upgraded to this on my Kindle after the free version suddenly stopped working. This doesn't work either - angry at having paid good money for it.

Musical Concerto Crackers
Musical Concerto Crackers
Offered by PlayRecord Net

4.0 out of 5 stars Musical sprouts!, 12 Jan. 2015
These crackers were a lot of fun and had everyone in stitches over xmas lunch. As well as the whistles themselves you get numbered stickers to wear as a badge, or to adorn the end of your whistle, so the nominated conductor knows who to point to. The conductor gets a baton, and a sheaf of music to aid him or her, and there's actually quite a comprehensive selection of tunes to pick from, from Christmas carols to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. We had a few arguments over who got to conduct - its much harder than it looks, especially when people are not sitting in numerical order. We also upped the ante by not letting the conductor tell the orchestra what it was they were supposed to be playing. You do need eight people to play most of the tunes - forget any thoughts of doubling up with multiple whistles per person for a smaller group cos it'll be carnage. Hat and jokes were of average quality - the main attraction is the music itself.

Philips SW750M/05 Multiroom Speaker with Spotify Connect
Philips SW750M/05 Multiroom Speaker with Spotify Connect

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable sound but too limiting in terms of music sources, 4 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First let me tell you what this is not. It is not a straightforward wireless or bluetooth speaker. So you won't be playing any standard music files stored on your laptop through it. Nor is it a sound dock. So you won't be dropping your iphone in and zinging through your iTunes playlist. All it can do is play music via Spotify. But that's not so bad is it I hear you say, Spotify is a great site, has bazillions of albums, singles and user provided playlists so that's still a great option, yes? Erm no. Because actually it only works with Spotify Premium - so you'll need to be paying (at current prices) £12.99 a month over and above the cost of the speaker itself for the privilege of getting it to utter a single note.

How does the speaker sound? Well, I had a bit of trouble setting it up initially - the Speakerset App you have to download to your device (alarm bells! - no, it won't work via a laptop) took about 15-20 minutes so god only knows what's in it, and even though I managed to pair the speaker and my wifi network relatively quickly, I just couldnt seem to get anything to play via the speaker - sound was still coming out of my iphone. Luckily, thanks to another reviewer I managed to sort out the problem a week or so down the line. Here is what you do. Once the app is downloaded, you switch on the speaker and allow your device (phone or tablet) to 'pair' with the speaker. You'll know when it's successfully done this because the amber light on the speaker will turn green. Next you select a track to play in Spotify - and here is the key bit which differs from the instructions with the speaker and on the Speakerset app - it's not enough to click play within in a playlist - you have to actually open the track, so the individual song is shown on your device screen and then and only then will your speaker icon come up. Click on it and then you'll have the option to pick the Philips speaker and transfer the broadcast.

So what do I think of this speaker now it's finally working? Good rich sound and plenty of volume though it lacks the clarity and separation of my Bose speakers (admittedly they were 3 times the price). You can buy more of these and have them all playing round the house in different rooms, connected to the same network, but that would be pricy and this is light enough that you could easily just carry it around and plonk it down wherever, assuming you have a power supply nearby. Overall not bad in terms of sound quality, but not absolutely stellar either, and it really should have the capability to play from media other than Spotify - or at a minimum PC based Spotify as well as device based (though I'm guessing that would open the speaker up to being able to play any old MP3s which Spotify obviously don't want you to be able do). Really this needs to come with a free 3 month subscription to Spotify Premium to at least get you started. As such, 3 stars only.

Decorated: Sublimely Crafted Cakes for Every Occasion
Decorated: Sublimely Crafted Cakes for Every Occasion
by April Carter

4.0 out of 5 stars Too pretty to eat!, 20 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What I like about this book is that the recipes are doable even for an amateur, because the emphasis is on making simple but clean-looking cakes with a professional finish, rather than very complex decorating schemes that require a lot of modelling skills.

A number of the cakes are un-iced and the wow factor comes from stacking multiple layers of them and decorating with fresh fruit or flowers for an opulent but achievable look, e,g the black forest tower. Among the frosted cakes, there's an amazing looking chocolate cake embellished with glittered blackberries, a fabulous white rose cake with ombre effect buttercream, and no other decoration apart from a scant scattering of petals on top, plus (my favourite) a paper flag decorated sea-salt caramel and chocolate cake. In addition to the traditional sponges, there are also cookie stacks, choux buns and a fig tart.

There's additional info on prep and suitable equipment, icing techniques and transporting your cakes - even how to photograph them to best advantage if you have a blog or are thinking of setting up a catering business. All in all a good book which should help even those not very skilled at baking to be able to turn out something more than fit for a celebration.

Heyland and Whittle Green Tea and Grapefruit Body Wash
Heyland and Whittle Green Tea and Grapefruit Body Wash

4.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated citrus., 20 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The grapefruit gives this body wash a nice citrusy edge and, in my opinion, is vastly preferable to the sharper lemon based products which can sometimes smell like bathroom cleaners. Also the green tea has a softening, and slightly herby effect, which helps tone down the zing factor to make the cleanser a bit more sophisticated than it otherwise might be. The gel is reasonably thick and lathers well. Some decent ingredients included like Vitamin E which is great for your skin and found in high end skin care and bath products like Jo Malone. The packaging is of very good quality - a sturdy bottle with a decent pump. I like that there is a range so you can pair this up with a body lotion or home fragrance such as a candle. Nothing wrong with this product - the only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because I tend to prefer slightly milkier fragrances like shea butter or vanilla, and the heavy dose of moisturisation you usually get from a cream formula.

Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)
Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars The lapsang souchong of coffees., 14 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried a ton of different Nespresso capsules - only found one that I thought was worth purchasing again - and had come to the general conclusion that this type of technology just cannot make a decent cup of coffee. I was preparing to be similarly underwhelmed by these Carte Noire capsules, but actually they're not at all bad.

The capsules are packed in individual wrappers, then boxed in tens. You get a lovely aroma upon opening the wrappers so there is clearly a benefit to having them prepared like this, though I did think compared with some of the other Nespresso capsules I've tried, the packaging seemed a bit wasteful. They fit my Krups machine nicely - not too tight - and the capsules are pierced quite easily (also unlike some other brands) which meant I didn't feel I was risking my machine by using non-branded coffee.

The description in the Amazon précis of a smokey note is spot on, also there's a slight bitterness, though this was easily countermanded by the addition of a little brown sugar. I drank mine at espresso strength, rather than 'lungo' as suggested on the box, with a tiny dash of semi skimmed milk, though I think they'd also be fine diluted for a latte or cappuccino. There was an impressive crema on top - one of the thickest layers I've seen from a Nespresso capsule - though the coffee beneath seemed just a little bit thin to me in comparison.

All in all this is not a bad product by Carte Noire and I would imagine the average Nespresso user would quite like these in comparison to other brands of capsules. However, I still don't think any Nespresso gadget makes coffee a patch on a proper high pressure espresso machine though - sorry!.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20