Profile for RM/TM > Reviews

Content by RM/TM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 254

RM/TM (UK.)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cole & Mason 145 mm Brushed Chrome Oxley One Handed Pepper and Salt Mill Set, Set of 2, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes the grind out of grinding!, 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These mills are well designed and easy to use. The tops pop off for you to fill with salt or peppercorns, the bases twist to allow you to select the fineness of the grind, and when you want to dispense your salt or pepper, you simply press the black plastic handles into the bodies of the mills. Interesting factoid - the coarser grind takes more pressure to dispense than the finer grind - no, I've no idea why. Oh, and they come partially filled so you can start seasoning without a trip to the supermarket.

Styling is lovely - the brushed metal finish combined with the slightly tapered body is very mid-century in influence - they remind me a bit of Scandinavian candle holders. On the downside (and this is really the only niggle I have), the mills have cheap looking plastic 'S' and 'P' labels on top to distinguish them, which detracts a bit from the otherwise classy design.

I am a bit of a fan of one handed mills so these were always going to score highly with me - however, my all time favourites were a pair from Habitat which were perspex globes with double 'bunny ear' grips on top that you squeezed together. Those mills also had magnets on the side so you could whack them on the fridge when not in use. These Cole and Mason gadgets are bigger and have to sit on the worktop, so a point off for that. Otherwise, very nice though.

PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Litter Box
PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Litter Box

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but you'll need a big wallet!, 20 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered PetSafe's ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter box with a little trepidation, it being the first powered litter tray I'd attempted to entice my feline waste producer to use. The first problem I had was choosing a site for it. In my smallish flat I have his current tray in the bathroom. With a powered system it needs a place with access to a socket.

After choosing an alcove in the hall the next task was setting it up. It's big, bigger than I expected but it was easy to set up and once the crystal insert was in place it sat waiting for Sam (the pussycat) to investigate. Soon he was in having a scrape around but not actually using it for its intended purpose. His usual tray is hooded so I'm not sure if a non hooded version induced a bit of stage fright but after few hours and some more scraping he got down to business.

Here in lies another problem. Sam's usual toilet routine is to use it and, if its a solid, he comes and tells us with the expectation of immediate removal. Usually involving some miaowing and chuntering. The PetSafe doesn't kick into action until twenty minutes after it detects the cat leaving the tray after use. You can override this with a manual cycle but seems a bit of a bother when paying this amount of money. Once the system is running it seems to work well, scraping the evidence away and leaving the crystals looking clean. In terms of smells I didn't notice a huge advantage over non clumping litter manually scooped after use. Indeed, until the cleaning cycle takes place, smells linger noticeably longer. Removing waste box for cleaning is pretty straightforward but i'm not convinced the crystals will last as long as stated by the manufacture, especially with a larger cat on wet food.Where I think the system does well is for those times where your cat may be left on its own whilst you might be at work. The puss cat always seems happier with a clean box and knowing this will work whilst you're not about is a bonus.

The major downsides for me are twofold, first the initial cost is eye watering, The RRP of over £150 seems an awful lot for no huge improvement in utility for an able bodied owner. The other downside is being tied into one sort of litter from the manufacturer. Even through Amazon this isn't cheap, especially when the supermarkets do twenty litre bags of litter for around ten pounds that will last longer and allow you to restock immediately if you run short.

So all in all I'll give it three stars. The actual system works but the practicalities of actually owning it seem to me to make it cost prohibitive.

Hotpoint Multi-Functional Food Processor, 1000 Watt, Silver
Hotpoint Multi-Functional Food Processor, 1000 Watt, Silver
Offered by Tribal UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality processor with great accessories, 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Hotpoint Multifunction Food Processor is a serious bit of kitchen kit. It comes with a wide range of bowls, attachments and blades to let you tackle most tasks and is powerful enough to cope with anything you throw at it.

It arrived in a pretty humungous box. Dauntingly large actually but on opening it was apparent the size of the package merely reflects the amount of extras you get with this product. The base unit is heavy, finished in a pleasing brushed silver and black combo. The large clear control knob on the side feels solid and is marked with the various speed options. There are four suction cup feet which secure the base firmly to your work surface and belay any worries the powerful motor may cause it to move around.

The attachments include a large 2.6l mixing bowl, with large handle and generous aperture for feeding in ingredients whilst the various blades are in action. The bowl fits very securely into the base unit and instructions for inserting the accessories are easy to follow. From chopping, grating and slicing veg, processing meats, kneading or mixing dry and wet ingredients for cake mixes, bread doughs and biscuits the large capacity means you really can do substantial batches in one go. There are a couple of pushers, for feeding in veg or fruit for processing, a large lid one and smaller one for the juicing attachment, which works surprisingly well. Within the base unit there's a handy slot for storing the various blades and the disks can sit on top of the unit when the jugs are removed. Leaving you to find storage for only the main blending jug, mixing bowl and grinder.

The blending bowl is a large 1.5 jug, great for soups, sauces and smoothies. Like it's larger brother it comes in a fairly durable looking plastic which was easy to clean in warm soapy water. It also allows you to add ingredients whilst blending through a sealable aperture on the lid. Again very handy for doing things like mayonnaise. The last accessory is a small grinder intended for either spices, pulses or coffee. It works well for coffee, although I still prefer a burr grinder rather than blades for that, and does a great job with spices. In combination with the other bowls, making your own curry pastes is a straightforward job. My only worry is that the plastic might retain the flavours of strong aromatics even after washing and this would deter me from using it for both spices and coffee.

In summary this is a really decent processor. It coped with all I've thrown at it well and feels like it will be useful addition to my kitchen for years to come. So why not 5 stars? It's just a bit big and heavy for everyday use. In a large kitchen it could comfortably live on a counter top but in a smaller kitchen it's too big to leave out constantly and the weight means getting it in and out of cupboards is a bit of a chore

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Offered by Shoplet-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty in pink., 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm the world's least organised person, with letters and documents piled up everywhere. Whenever I need something - car V5C, insurance certificates, pension info - I have a frantic few hours (sometimes even days!) sifting through everything desperately trying to find what I'm looking for. Hopefully this will be a thing of the past though, with my new Leitz Wow storage box.

First impressions are very good - the box is made of an extremely sturdy high gloss card in a vivid and thus impossible to misplace fuschia pink. It comes flat-packed and only takes about 30 second to assemble - you pull the side flaps up and press-stud them into position, then the lid just drops on top. Because of the way the box is assembled it wouldn't be watertight so I think it more suitable for domestic storage than any sort of professional archiving. There are nice features like metal carry handles at each end (they fold flat against the box when not in use), plus a removable label with metal surround (I honestly don't know that I will ever be organised enough to record the contents, but it's a useful addition). The actual dimensions are well in excess of A4 so you won't have stuff getting jammed or bent inside, or being difficult to lift out again.

I've started by putting my passport and travel insurance documents inside and really think this is the beginning of a new and exciting superwoman-like significantly more organised me. No doubt everything else - my love life, stressful job and challenging family - will all just blissfully fall into place now. :-)

Olympus PEN E-P5 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera - Silver (16.1MP, Live MOS, M.Zuiko 14-42mm II R Lens) 3.0 inch Tiltable Touchscreen LCD
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Say cheese!, 8 Oct 2014
I'm a big fan of the micro 4/3 system, loving the compact size coupled with near DSLR image quality. Despite the fact that a number of manufacturers produce mirrorless compacts, I think that Olympus pretty much own this format, with clever retro styling, uber fast response times and a range of relatively affordeable lenses. This is my third PEN - I had the E-PL1 and the E-PM2, keeping each for a couple of years before selling on to facilitate an upgrade to this model.

The E-P5 shares the same 16mp sensor as my E-PM2, (and the flagship OMD), but has the added advantages of wireless, a tilting screen, faster shutter speed (1/8000) and heavier metal body which is great if you are at all prone to camera shake, mode dial that cuts down on the amount of menu scrolling, switch function lever controlling iso, white balance and exposure (though can be programmed for other modes) and built-in flash, rather than the clip on version. It has the same superb colour handling as all the other models in the range giving saturated images that somehow always manage to look vivid but never unnatural. The silver and black variant is straight out of the sixties and style-wise, to die for.

I currently have my E-P5 paired with the 17mm pancake lens and it will fit in a jacket pocket or handbag quite easily like this. To my chagrain the just about to be released E-PL7 comes with the new and very lustworthy 14-42mm pancake lens, which would really be my ideal partner for the E-P5. On the flipside, the E-PL7 design has reverted to the clip on flash and whilst this might give a wider field of illumination I found having to slide it on and off the hot shoe on my E-PM2, removing and replacing the various plastic covers each time not terribly conducive to impromptu photography, so think the pop up on the E-P5 preferable despite it's diminutive size.

The camera is quick and responsive in most light conditions, including rain and overcast skies. It's very comfortable to hold, producing the expected crisp and beautifully hued images. Autofocus is pretty quiet and the metering systems easy to access. I use a number of the art filters from time to time, particularly dramatic tone and pop art, although this model could really do with updating with some of the vintage filters popular on the likes of Instagram (in fairness to Olympus I think the E-PL7 does have new tools along these lines). In common with another reviewer I don't bother using the tilt screen function, partly for fear of breaking it. There's no optical viewfinder, though you can attach one via the hotshoe if your pockets run deep enough to buy one. I'm not that fussed (sacrilege!) because to me the compact dimensions and streamlined styling are a major selling point of the PEN range - if I was desperate for a viewfinder I'd probably go for an OMD or even a DSLR. The positioning of the flash means you occasionally accidentally deploy it, though I found I adapted my hand position pretty quickly to mitigate against this - easy for a female with small hands, might be tricky for a bloke with big mitts.

Generally the reviews for this camera in the wider technology press have been very favourable - there have been some reports of blurring/lack of effective image stabilisation at speeds of around 1/160, but I have never noticed this myself, and there is a firmware update available that is said to correct the problem anyway. Oh, and I loved the little touches like the Olympus branded lens cloth included in the box! You can see a few test shots I took on the right hand side of the page using a range of settings.

In summary this camera has great styling, great performance and a build quality that will probably make me hang onto it far longer than the earlier versions. I am smitten :-)

Scandinavian Baking: Loving Baking at Home
Scandinavian Baking: Loving Baking at Home
by Trine Hahnemann

3.0 out of 5 stars Not tonight Josephine!, 5 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautifully produced book with tantalising photography on thick expensive-feeling paper. The majority of the volume is taken up with cakes and breads, although the author does expand the repertoire somewhat to include recipes for soups and sandwich toppings to go with the breads. Actually, I think it's quite heavy on the bread and crispbread recipes as an overall percentage so that could be either offputting or inviting depending on your culinary preferences.

My first attempt at baking from the book was the Napolean's Cake - a sort of mille feuille of cream and redcurrant jelly. Although not at first glance a difficult thing to make by any means I actually struggled quite a bit - the cooking time for the flaky pastry seemed quite short at 20 mins and mine came out a bit doughy, so had to go back for another 5-10. The instructions for making the custard part of the cream filling told you to whip it until it thickened - but how thick? I suspect I may have taken mine off the heat too early because when I mixed it with the whipped cream it was too runny to heap up on the pastry in one thick layer as shown in the picture. Even when I rejigged my cake with extra layers containing less cream I still had a bit of a landslide. Admittedly the taste was great - the redcurrent jelly is an inspired choice to offset the crème patisserie as it's so much sharper than berry based jams. It just looked a bit of a dogs breakfast!

My second attempt at baking from this book was to be the orange and rye cookies- however I was unable to source rye flakes anywhere - even Holland and Barratt which lists them online doesn't seem to carry them instore - so that plan never really got off the ground.

In summary, I think this book is lovely to look at and very inspiring - lots of Scandinavian ingredients like marzipan, herring and buttermilk in evidence, but a little bit of culinary expertise is probably in order to work round the mildly ambiguous instructions.

Hotpoint Multifunctional Food Processor Fully Accessorised, 1000 Watt, Silver
Hotpoint Multifunctional Food Processor Fully Accessorised, 1000 Watt, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality processor with great accessories., 25 Sep 2014

Tefal Safe to Touch Kettle, 1.5 Litre, 3000 Watt, Black
Tefal Safe to Touch Kettle, 1.5 Litre, 3000 Watt, Black
Offered by BigWhiteRabbit

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark and powerful!, 18 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel a bit sorry for this appliance. Why? Because for the past 20 years I've had a brushed aluminium Seimens Porsche kettle, one of the first to have gizmos like doubled walled insulation and a concealed element, as well as styling to rival Concorde. So if you are 20 years late to the same specification and made of black plastic, you're just never going to cut it, are you.

Ok - that's the necessarily slightly negative context for my review over. Do I have anything nice to say about this Tefal gadget? Well, actually yes. It looks nice and streamlined. Despite the plastic body it has a metal liner, which to me is very important as I'd used plastic jug kettles in the past that seemed to impart a synthetic taste to the water and even one that appeared to contain globules of melted plastic when it boiled. Like my Seimens, this kettle has a concealed element, and I cannot tell you how essential that is if you live in a hard water area - basically it means you never have to descale your kettle again. Granted, aspects of it feel a little cheap - the paddle-shaped 'on' button is a clear perspexy inexpensive-looking plastic (though it does light up a lovely neon blue when on) and the the base is very lightweight and doesn't scream quality. However on the aesthetic front, in general its perfectly ok.

On to performance now. It boils quickly, but quite noisily and despite the double walling that does keep it cool to the touch, a lot of steam seemed to escape from various points in the lid, not just the spout, which I thought probably means you'd lose heat that way instead. The lid was a bit fiddly to get open at first - it looks like you should put your hand into the concave bit and just pull it up, when actually what you need to do is find the plastic bar in the centre of the lid, and press it into the recess to get the top to pop. Water level meter is only shown on the inside of the kettle so you'd need to open it every time to check whether it needed filling or not, which is a bit of a pain. Where it does score over my existing appliance is that the cord to the base is a better length, and of course it's half the price. That said I 'd rather pay a bit more to ensure I got both form AND function, so whilst this kettle is perfectly ok, for me it doesn't represent great value for money at around the £40 mark.

Hama Delta Pro 180 Photo/Video Tripod with 2D Tilt Head
Hama Delta Pro 180 Photo/Video Tripod with 2D Tilt Head

4.0 out of 5 stars Say cheese!, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well-designed, well-made and easy to use tripod. It adjusts effortlessly up and down to eye level, and the head both tilts and rotates. There are two spirit levels - one at the top of the legs, and one on the side of the metal and cork camera baseplate - as well as a teeny tiny compass. Coupled with the spiked feet suitable for multiple terrains, this makes the tripod easy to adjust into a level position no matter where you find yourself. It comes with the joints all very well greased (so much so in fact that you might be advised to carry tissues or a cloth so you can clean you hands before attaching your camera) so any adjustments are always smooth and precise. There is also the bonus of a really decent lightly padded case with double zips, and a thick shoulder strap to distribute the weight evenly. The tripod itself is black with simple white graphics. No self assembly is required - the item comes ready to use straight out of the box and is simple enough to adjust that no instructions are necessary either.

I found it very straightforward to manoeuvre the tripod into the desired position, easy to attach my camera (an Olympus PEN micro 4/3) and easy to lock once in the desired configuration. I did have a moments panic trying to get my camera off after use as the screw thread on the bottom seemed to be stuck (I'm guessing part of the locking mechanism incorporates a screw thread lock too), but by taking the head off the tripod and having better access to the mechanism it was a simple matter to separate the two again. I would just add that without a remote shutter release you are somewhat negating the advantages of tripod stabilisation, however an increasing number of cameras (like mine) have wifi/Bluetooth connectivity which allows for use of remote control through a smart phone app so you could conceivably use this tripod without any further outlay.

All in all I think this item represents good value for money and is nicely made. It is not as lightweight as some of the aluminium tripods I have seen but is a fifth the price of the premium models, and actually when loaded into the bag and carried on the shoulder really not a burden at all. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to take slightly more pro shots with minimal outlay - if you've been roped into covering a family wedding, say, or night time photos with long exposures such as star trails, northern lights, or even moving water for that misty effect. I am quite a pared down sort of girl - hence why I bought a mirrorless compact rather than a DSLR - and I did wonder prior to ordering this if I would find it too bulky to carry around and would have perhaps been better off with one of those flexible rubber jobs that wrap round tree branches and railings but this is so compact when stowed away in its bag that I don't think it's an issue really. Nice item. 4 stars.

Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 L, Graphite and Orange
Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 L, Graphite and Orange

4.0 out of 5 stars Give your grubby carpet a spruce up with a Vax!, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner is the first dedicated carpet washer I've used and I was a little dubious that a domestic cleaner would really produce a decent result. Happily I my doubts were unfounded.

The cleaner comes in 3 parts which are simple to clip together to form a pretty slimline unit held securely by the three screws provided. The larger top clean water tank holds 2.7l and the bottom waste water tank 1.5l so there's decent capacity to complete a room without too many refills. The unit comes with 250mls of Vax's proprietary regular cleaning solution and to be honest I don't think it would last any great length of time before having to purchase the pretty expensive refill packs. The unit comes with instructions on assembly and dilutions measure of the cleaning fluid to water.

Once the unit is assembled and filled and the tank filled you're ready to go, obviously having preprepared your carpet with a thorough vacuuming. In use the cleaner is pretty light and didn't require much effort to roll back and forth. The lengthy 8m cable gives enough reach to cover the biggest rooms and the two way action, forward while squeezing trigger to deploy the solution backwards and release to suck up the waste, was very intuitive. On my rather deep piled carpet the waste water was satisfyingly murky, indicating the cleaning solution was doing its job. My carpet had some discoloration on the more heavily trafficked areas and there was a striking difference after the vax had done its work. Filling and emptying the water tanks wasn't too difficult, simple tip out and clip in process but without any fill markings i found it easiest to use a measuring jug to fill the tank and ensure the right dilution for the cleaning solution.

After finishing the carpet was noticeably damp to the touch and took a few hours with windows open to dry out thoroughly.For best results I'd recommend ensuring no one walks across it until properly dry. Once dry my initial impression that the vax had lift a significant amount of dirt was confirmed. The carpet looked much fresher and restored to a good condition.

I don't have any stairs at home which is fortunate as this model isn't designed to work on them, a bit limiting for those who do though. It's designed to mop up spills which might stain just from blotting but I haven't so far had to use it for this so can't comment on how well it does that job. Other than that small caveat I thought this was a really well designed and functional cleaner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20