Profile for RM/TM > Reviews

Content by RM/TM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 549

RM/TM (UK.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SanDisk Ultra Android 32 GB microSDHC Memory Card + SD Adapter (Newest Version) up to 80 MB/s, Class 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, economic, reliable memory storage., 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was offered this on Vine just as I was due a phone upgrade. So it was terribly handy and was popped straight into my new HTC One M8s. It's a class 10 card so ideal for storing high quality video clips at 1080p as well as all the music, books and photo's I tend to load onto my phone.

The 80mb/s transfer speed was particularly useful when transferring the gigabytes of files across from my laptop back up of my old phone content and a job that usually takes a few hours was cut to under an hour. The micro sd slipped into the phone slot easily, I didn't have any problems identifying the correct orientation and the phone instantly read the cards presence.

So far so good. I transfer files back and forth across from my phone and all transfers have been quick with no issues. 32gb of memory for under ten pounds seems like tremendous value and from a decent brand with high transfer speeds I couldn't be happier with this product.

Murad Resurgence Age-Balancing Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF30 50 ml
Murad Resurgence Age-Balancing Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF30 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 2 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this product for about a week now, morning and night and can report that in terms of delivering moisturisation, it is really stellar. The lotion is thick and comforting but easily worked in, absolutely no residue left behind. The finish is soft and velvety - neither too dewy/greasy, nor too matifiying - I am very very wary of matifying products as I think they send the skin into some sort of emergancy mode where it chucks out even more oil. So not a single flaky patch anywhere the whole time I've been using this, not even on my chin which is prone to being dry as I sometimes use powder there.

In terms of the anti-ageing properties that are promised that's harder to comment on. I think there is a definite improvement in discolouration/tone of the skin - I have occasional slight redness/sensitivity and this has been visibly reduced. I also think there might be a small reduction in the appearance of fine lines - I didn't have that many to be honest but forehead lines do seem a bit less obvious. In terms of firming and definition, I don't know that I can see any improvement yet, with the caveat that a week really isn't very long as an assessment period.

I like that this has an SPF of 30 - many facial products are around the 15-20 mark so this higher level of protection is a bit of a coup. I also like that the product comes in a tube rather than a jar, which makes using this for travel or putting it in a gym or swimming bag viable. I read somewhere that skincare companies often favour jars as they are associated with dressing table luxe and pampering in the mind of consumers - however, they are not airtight and thus any active ingredients are more susceptible to oxidisation or breakdown than they would be in an airtight pump or tube.

Things I don't like? The tube is plain and quite medicinal/medical looking - I think it should have been possible at this price to have somthing a bit more glam, like the silver or blue tubes Elemis use. That might sound shallow and superficial and yes its what's on the inside that counts, but I like the whole ritual of bathing/pampering/skincare and this packaging doesn't cut it for me or make the product enjoyable to use or something I look forward to applying. My other gripe is the fragrance which is a bit odd - a sickly sweet hit which reminds me a bit of the smell of hospitals and hospices. I will say that it disappears the moment you massage it into your skin, so it would not stop me using the product, but its nowhere near as nice as the scents other brands use like frankinsence, jasmine or even just that clean white shea butter smell.

In summary it definitely delivers what it promises but it needs a bit of a makeover packaging wise.

eBoot Two Stages Kitchen Knife Sharpener for Ceramic/ Steel Knives with Safety Suction Pad (Black)
Offered by eBoot

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, efficient, effective!, 30 Aug. 2015
The eBoot Two Stage Kitchen Knife Sharpener combines a couple of essentials in one small package. Not only does it provide a solution for sharpening your kitchen knives but it manages to do the job safely.

Two wheels, diamond and ceramic, are contained in a stylish black plastic unit with chrome effect finishes. Small enough to sit happily in a kitchen drawer the unit fixes securely to surfaces via a suction cup on the base. I was worried this might not work well in practice but was impressed by just how firm the hold on the surface was maintained whilst in operation. There's a lever on top of the unit, between the two blades, which depresses or lifts to secure and release the suction, although even when released the unit still needs some prising away from the work surface. I've had sharpeners before that you had to hold against the surface and there was always a worry about it slipping, something to be avoided when dealing with bladed implements.

The coarser diamond wheel is designed to bring very dull blades up to sharpness and can even be used on ceramic blades and the other ceramic wheel finishes off the job by honing the blade with a finer finish. Once you have your blades sharpened the finer wheel should be sufficient to keep the blades keen with a weekly swipe through the unit. The ceramic wheel should not be used with ceramic blades. Run your blade first through the coarser wheel with a gentle pressure, a few strokes made a significant difference to my blades. Then a few strokes through the finishing wheel brought them to a point that I've only achieved before using a much more time consuming whetstone process.

I'll admit to being very impressed by this sharpener. I've had very mixed results from previous knife sharpening units, from the ineffective to the downright dangerous. The eBoot sharperner was safe, efficient and effective as well as having pleasing looks. I'd be very happy to recommend this product.

Please note I was sent this product sample for an fair and unbiased review.

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4 Inches (10 Centimeters) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Pint-sized Power Provider!, 26 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of the Amazon Basics range - I've had a plethora of stuff from it, including travel adaptors, batteries and chargers - even a duvet! - all of which have been brilliant. This charging and syncing lead could not have come up at a better time as my white iphone USB cable had just started to fray. I am happy to report that the Amazon version is really nicely made, lovely glossy black finish to the cable where it meets the metal connectors, and absolutely does not feel cheap or nasty in any way whatsoever. Oh and it's Apple tested and approved. The ends came wrapped in a sort of cellophane to protect them - 30 seconds to get that off and I was up and charging my iphone 5 effortlessly.

I was going to take a couple of stars off because the cable itself is so very short (10cm) but my reviewing partner in crime said that would be unfair because it's my fault for not reading the description before tossing this into my virtual shopping basket, and also he thinks shorter cables are better cos there is less to tidy away and/or get tangled. It's also great if you are putting this into a handbag or pocket to charge say, at work, because it takes up less space than the full sized cable that came with the phone. I have taken one star off as a compromise because if you were sticking this into a charger and plug instead of directly into a computer usb port then your phone would be halfway up the wall. Other than that though, great :-)

Wahl James Martin Hand Mixer and Stand - 300 W, Titanium/Black
Wahl James Martin Hand Mixer and Stand - 300 W, Titanium/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready, Steady, Bake!, 23 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst this Wahl mixer doesn't have the build quality or kerb appeal of a Kitchen Aid or Kenwood Chef, it does have the benefit of low cost and a very small footprint for a stand mixer - I think you'd have to go back to the 50s Sunbeam models to find anything similarly compact.

The mixer can be used in both hand held and stand modes - the mount is a flat plate that motor slides onto and there are two release buttons depending on whether you want to tip up the mixer (to add or remove the bowl and hooks), or take the motor off altogether. The mixer is not set centrally which seemed a bit odd to me at first, but the bowl does rotate so this minimises the chances of ingredients not getting mixed in properly.- you will probably need to intervene with a spatula (supplied) at some point though. The motor is noisy and the sliding speed control felt a lit bit cheap and stiff. I also think the dark bowl is quite ugly, and again, cheap looking. You get both beaters and dough hooks, and also a splash guard which I didn't bother to attach, though given that the bowl is quite small would probably be needed for anything but the tiniest amounts of batter. It's worth noting that the beaters and hooks have to fit in specific holes as one in each pair is geared (and drives the other). This feature is by no means unique to this machine but its handy to know if you've not it encountered before as you could be forgiven for thinking something is broken if you try and put the beaters/hooks in the wrong holes and they won't go in. There's a turbo boost button to increase the speed temporarily but I'm not sure I'd use this - frankly I'm always a bit nervous about using full speed on cheaper mixers anyway and this one can't be run for more than 10 mins at a time.

The instruction book is great - a decent sized font, clear diagrams, English only so as not to waste paper - and even a few recipes like chocolate mousse cake and toad in the hole. Being a James Martin affiliated product I'd expect these to be a cut above the average instruction book recipes.

I've outlined a few caveats above which might make you think this mixer would only merit a low star rating - however I keep coming back to the price, which is one of the lowest I've ever seen for a stand mixer, so four stars it is.

BOHEM Silver Jewellery Nail Art Kimono Asanoha, Medium
BOHEM Silver Jewellery Nail Art Kimono Asanoha, Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but too pointy!, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very high quality nail jewellery made from thick sterling silver. This does mean it is very rigid and hard to fit to the nail though, and you absolutely could never trim it down in any way. I found the long thin talon-like shape not very flattering, and were I looking to purchase I might prefer to go for the shorter Bohem jewels, which I think would look a bit classier. I also wish you could buy them as sets as I am not a fan of the ring finger or feature nail look particularly. The kimono pattern is lovely though - they really do have some gorgeous designs - check out the waves for example - just like a Japanese woodblock print!

Last point - I think that at this price the nail jewels should come with glue, or at a minimum some sticky tabs - its in the vendors interest to make sure you have a suitable adhesive and aren't put off by these coming away with an inferior quality or just plain unsuitable product.

50 Led Fairy Lights Indoor Globe Patio String with Warm White Ball for Christmas Outdoor Wedding Festoon Party by Innoo Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light!, 20 Aug. 2015
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from these lights as I got them as a freebie in return for agreeing to write a review (important note - there was no pressure to award a high star rating or make false claims for the product). They turned out to be quite attractive small opaque white globe shades over what look to be standard white LEDs. I actually really like the effect the globe covers give as they dramatically soften the harshness of the white lights - much more like the Christmas lights of my childhood than most modern LEDs tend to be.

The string of lights is a decent length - over 20 feet, with an extra few bulb-free feet as a lead in. They are multifunction - the press of a switch will change them from static to glow to flash. The box says they are suitable for indoor and outdoor use, though I'd maybe not risk them outdoors, especially given the British weather, not to mention the fact that a few of the globe covers came off when I unravelled them - though in fairness they did just pop back on quite easily. I think they'd work best on the tree or maybe round a mirror as decoration. As you would expect/hope cable, lights and plug stay cool in use. Last thing - they come in a decent quality thick cardboard box.

Overall I am happy to recommend these (with the slight caveat that I haven't tested them for very long periods yet) because they are pretty, tasteful, and do exactly what they say on the tin :-)

Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 30 Face and Body Milk Mini Sunscreen - 50 ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 30 Face and Body Milk Mini Sunscreen - 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Just add sunshine!, 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love these travel sized tubes of suncream which work brilliantly for a long weekend/city break type trip where you might have arms and face exposed for a few days, but unlike two weeks on the beach, no need to treat your entire body. This Ambre Solaire cream is rich and thick (heavier than brands like Nivea) but sinks in easily and smells fabulous - summer quite literally in a bottle. The SPF level is 30 and described on the packaging as 'high' - to be honest I think this is the minimum you should be using anywhere in Europe unless you have a naturally very dark skin type. The UVA rating is 3 star. The tube is made from a tough high quality plastic with an easy to open flip-top lid and iconic orange and white colour scheme. The ingredient info and instructions for use are too small for all but the most eagle eyed to read but I suppose most people would know to reapply regularly. Should be in everyone's suitcase this summer.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Silky Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Silky Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6

3.0 out of 5 stars Too tropical for me, 11 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't very impressed with the Ambre Solaire shampoo I recently tested, so had a bit of trepidation before trying this conditioner from the same manufacturer. I've given it one star more than the shampoo which was far too oily, so it's headed in the right direction, but still not a must-have in my book.

On the plus side the bottle is huge, although as the product is relatively runny (rather than thick and balsam like) you could nonetheless get through it quite quickly. The conditioner does a decent job of detangling and leaves hair nice and smooth with minimal frizz. The price is pretty competitive too.

On the downside I am not keen on the scent - I love vanilla but the addition of papaya spoils it for me, since fruity scents always seem a bit teenage and unsophisticated, plus they have the potential to clash with perfumes and body products. On top of this I have quite a difficult hair type - fine and prone to tangling, but easily weighed down and prone to greasiness when using conditioning products, yet coloured so badly in need of moisture. I find that salon ranges are better formulated to cope with this hair type, and as such I'd probably not chose to switch unless I found a really stellar high street or supermarket product. So a no from me, but this Ultimate Blends Silky Smoother might be suitable for someone with thicker and generally better behaved hair than mine.

Carissima Gold 9ct Yellow Gold Red and White Enamel Kitten Stud Earrings
Carissima Gold 9ct Yellow Gold Red and White Enamel Kitten Stud Earrings

3.0 out of 5 stars Kitschy Kitties, 9 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are cute enamelled earrings in a style reminiscent of 'Hello Kitty'. Pros first: The enamelling has been done really quite nicely (I believe by Italian jewellers) with good attention to detail and a glossy finish. They are genuine 9 carat yellow gold and come with a decent enough box (leather effect exterior, velvet interior and Carissima branding/logo). There is also a cardboard sleeve to protect the box. The earrings fit very flush to the ear and feel light as a feather and very comfortable in wear.

On the downside the posts aren't terribly long and whilst they will be ok for most people, if you have fleshy earlobes like me the length might be a bit borderline. The butterflies to secure the earrings are absolutely tiny and thus quite fiddly to fix in place. Also they don't lock which you might find a bit of a worry especially if you'd paid the full RRP.

The obvious customer for these is a younger buyer - however, I think they can also be worn quite ironically by someone a bit more mature e.g. with skinny jeans and a biker jacket - and of course there is a huge Asian market for all things kitty themed. Basically anyone who doesn't have hugely thick earlobes and likes a bit of kit-sch (if you'll pardon the pun :-))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20