Profile for RM/TM > Reviews

Content by RM/TM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 694

RM/TM (UK.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mitre Delta Match Hyperseam Football - White/Black/Yellow/Green, Size 5
Mitre Delta Match Hyperseam Football - White/Black/Yellow/Green, Size 5
Offered by YC Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality ball at a good price, 7 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for a group of friends who play regular five a side matches on astroturf and in frequently wet conditions. It came already partially inflated and getting it up to proper pressure was straight forward with a pump and adapter. They've already played a good number of games with it and report that it's a great ball. Easy to control with a nice predictable bounce. Passes true and is capable of being bent when struck correctly.

It holds up to the wear and tear of robust play and the hyperseam tech means its plays the same in either dry or our frequently very wet weather. A real bonus when playing in winter in Scotland. They usually buy a couple of balls for 20 quid and play them until they're done, which usually isn't long. They unanimously felt this ball was of much higher quality and is already proving a lot more durable than their usual buys. A really great replica ball at this price point.

Sony ILCE5100L Compact System Camera - Black
Sony ILCE5100L Compact System Camera - Black
Offered by NZ Distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but packed full of great features, 7 Feb. 2016
I've previously owned the Sony A3000 as my first foray into interchangeable lense cameras but found it to be a bit too bulky for my photography needs. Then switched to the Fuji XF1 which, whilst a really nice pocket camera didn't have quite the low light or fast autofocus performance I like. So when I saw the A5000 I was immediately intrigued and when the A5100 became available from John Lewis became available at £299 with a 16 - 50 kit lense I snapped it up.

Why did I go for this? Well at 24mp, APS-C, 6fps burst mode and same autofocus system as the A6000 it promised to have everything I wanted in a small camera. And it really is small. With the very slim 16-50 lense attached, it sits comfortably in the palm of my hand and will fit easily into a jacket pocket. Although there's no viewfinder, the screen will tilt 180 degrees for selfies or vlogging and the brightness can be boosted to cope with bright sunny days. There's also a limited touchscreen facility which allows for selection of focus points in some modes. Although a welcome addition I'm at a loss to explain why they made the range of control options accessible via touch screen so limited. Which brings me onto the control system.

The menu system is accessed via the dial on the rear, there's now physical dial to switch between modes or alter iso, shutter speed or focal length directly. So if you're coming from a camera which had this available this may frustrate. Given the camera is really aimed at those taking their first steps into mirrorless interchangeable lense cameras this may not be a major negative. The lack of physical buttons on the camera also limits the options for customisation. Despite these limitations the menu system will be familiar to anyone used to Sony's and I found it really easy to navigate. The usual range of manual options are there as well as a couple of auto options, large number of scene modes and three different movie shooting options. The last of these, the XVACS codec, requires an ultra fast class 10 SD card with at least 64gb capacity to access but once you have it gives the option to shoots in lovely slow movie effect video.

The iso range is huge, up to 25600, and I found it produced really lovely images in low light at 3200 with very little noise. The autofocus is very very quick, capturing my less than cooperative cat with ease even when the light wasn't ideal and, with the ability follow a subject just by tapping it, the 179 focus points did a great job of rendering clear sharp images even in continuous shooting mode. Features like focus peaking will also be a huge help if shooting with manual lenses. The kit lense supplied gets a lot of grief from some quarters. Sure a fast prime or £1000 quid plus option will really get the best out of the camera and its sensor but as an every day lense the 16-50 is small, flexible and produces really nice images. The mount range is ever expanding and more third party suppliers are entering the market so there should be lenses available to suit whatever style of shooting you prefer. There's also some great adapters out there should you already have glass from different systems.

The body of the camera isn't metal, nor is it weather sealed but it does have some nice weight and the small grip might prove an issue for those with bigger hands but I found it comfortable to use. The battery isn't big and will only last around 400 shots, but the spares aren't expensive and might be a useful option for those that like to have a back up on a long day. There's no hotshoe for external mic or flash but I found the pop up flash really decent and the ability to tilt it backwards was really useful for controlling some of the harsher effects. Would be nice to have a line in for a mic but again at this price point it's quibbling.

In short the A5100 is a gem at this price point. It has the sensor and autofocus system of the much pricier A6000, a huge range of control options in the menu, great auto options that work well when you just want to point and shoot and an every expanding line up of emount lenses available. It's a terrific camera for those who want to progress their photography but don't want to be limited by the bulk of a dslr. It's an easy recommendation.

Revlon Ultimate All-in-One Mascara, Blackest Black
Revlon Ultimate All-in-One Mascara, Blackest Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great packaging ergonomics, formula not so stellar, 30 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of the Revlon brand. They are to be found alongside the cheaper brands in the unmanned aisles of Boots and Superdrug, no glossy counters or lab coat-clad sales staff to promote the products, but their cosmetics are nonetheless often on a par with the premium brands. I particularly rate their skin illuminators, foundations and lipsticks.

All that said, this mascara is a bit of a mixed bag. The flattish tube is different looking, more funky than glam, but very comfortable to hold. The brush is great - short and squat as you will see from the picture, which makes it incredibly easy to do the inner and outer corners of your lashes without getting mascara everywhere, and really anywhere you need a precise touch. You can actually use the point of the brush, rather than the length if you want to get in really close to the lash line. The product was easy to apply and jet black (great if that's what you're looking for but I always think a black/brown or charcoal shade is a bit more flattering). You get a really open eyed look and there's absolutely no need to use lash curlers imho. However, the product dried very hard and crispy and there's no way you could build up several coats, or reapply this later in the day as the lashes are just too stiff and brittle. You need to get it right first time. I also thought there was some noticeable clumping of my lashes - not that I could see actual fibres or deposits, just that the mascara didn't separate the individual hairs very well, so they were thicker looking but stuck together.

In summary, I think I would be tempted to see if Revlon make a more gentle and flexible mascara formulation but still using this design of packaging and brush, as I really loved the brush. But I don't think I will be rebuying this exact incarnation of the product again any time soon.

AmazonBasics UV Protection Filter-58mm
AmazonBasics UV Protection Filter-58mm

4.0 out of 5 stars An extra layer between the outside world and your lense glass., 15 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't notice any great affect of the quality of images taken while using or not using this filter but it did go on easily and I'm told that it reduces the effect of UV on my sensor. Foe me the main draw is a relatively inexpensive way of adding an extra layer of protection to expensive lenses. I'd much rather have scratches on this cheap sub ten pounds piece of kit than on a two hundred plus prime. It's light, completely bulk free and does exactly what I want from it.

Diadermine LIFT+ Super Filler Hyaluron Anti-Wrinkle Day Cream Micro-injected HA & 5% Hyaluron Actives - 50ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning the clock back (hopefully!), 12 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good moisturiser - quite thick and stiff in texture, which makes sense for a formula that claims to provide lifting, firming and plumping. Hyaluronic acid is the main claim to fame ingredient - a molecule known to improve hydration and moisture retention. It's an easy cream to work in and great if you have dry skin - I think those with oilier skin might find it a little bit rich though. It has a floral scent which is quite strong, but not unpleasant, and it doesn't linger at all once the cream is absorbed. Glass jar with plastic lid in a cardboard box. I'd not heard of the brand before - I think its a subsidiary of Schwarzkopf going by the label on the top of the jar, which is a bit odd as the blurb says this is a French brand.

It will take a time to say whether this cream does anything much in terms of firming, but its definitely an excellent moisturiser, and I did notice an improvement in necklace lines on my throat just two days in, so looking good so far. Clinically proven ingredients at a reasonable price. Hurrah!

Maybelline Fit Me 2-In-1 Anti-Shine 9 g Shade 315
Maybelline Fit Me 2-In-1 Anti-Shine 9 g Shade 315
Offered by Direct Cosmetics

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighter and more natural than I was expecting., 3 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised by this product which gives a nice natural finish. There is no shine to the skin after use, but you don't get an ultra matt or dry look either. The coverage is light despite the Fit Me 2-in-1 looking like an an old-fashioned panstick, but it's nowhere near as heavy as those cream stick foundations of yesteryear and there is no heaviness, oiliness or tackiness to the finish. The colour (honey) was a bit dark for me, unavoidable really as when I ordered the shades had numbers but not names - I see that has now been rectified so it should be easy for future purchasers to select the right colour for them.

The packaging is ok - a smartish black tube and I like the slim deco font used. However the clear plastic top is a bit cheap looking, and my sample came covered with stickers and labels that left a slightly grubby finish when I peeled them off.

In summary, I think this will be especially good for youthful slightly oily skin as it limits shine without overdrying. But even more mature skins will be ok with this product due to the lightweight finish.

Experimental Cocktail Club: London. Paris. New York. Ibiza
Experimental Cocktail Club: London. Paris. New York. Ibiza
by Experimental Cocktail Club

4.0 out of 5 stars Bottoms up!, 3 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initially, I wasn't that impressed with this book - on first picking it up I found I recognised relatively few of the ingredients, some of the combinations seemed odd, and I wasn't sure how I could possibly comment fairly without buying a huge arsenal of new spirits and mixers. However, a week or so later I revisited, read the book properly and found myself hooked by the tale of the three friends who wanted to revitalise the cocktail industry in Paris, and on the back of that success went on to open Experimental Cocktails Clubs in London, New York and Ibiza too.

What I particularly liked was the clever tailoring of the cocktails to suit the different customer bases - plenty of fruity refreshers in Ibiza, gin based concoctions in London, and bourbon and whisky tipples on the Lower East Side of New York. But add in to that copious use of unfamiliar ingredients like Velvet Falernum, Amaro Averna, vintage blends of Cinzano, and Carpano Antica, and you really do have a very original take on mixology. A lot of herby influences, extensive use of bitters (which I love) and citric acid twists, with a section specifically on making tinctures, infusions and syrups to help you with your blending. (The not-so-brave will also find classics like daiquiris and Negronis so fear not!).

The book is nicely divided into sections based on each of the bars, and there are also chapters themed around drinks with friends, plus an homage to bartenders who have left the Experimental Cocktail Club franchise by way of featuring their best inventions. Matt black cover, lots of photos which I suspect were taken in the bars themselves, with the drinks set against backdrops of vintage wallpaper, japanese screens, old bookcases, antique mirrors and marble counters. Lots of atmosphere. Lots of food for thought. A fascinating insight.

L'Oréal Paris Paris Collection Privée Color Riche, Eva's Nude
L'Oréal Paris Paris Collection Privée Color Riche, Eva's Nude

4.0 out of 5 stars Bare it all!, 29 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lipstick has a lovely creamy moisturising texture and glides on easily. The colour is a pinky toned nude with a little bit of a sheen. Solid coverage rather than sheer or translucent, but not especially intense due to the light colour. A more universally flattering pale shade than the fleshy 60s nude tones that can be quite hard to wear.

The tube is a matt black bullet with almost a rubberised texture, and the base and lid separate at an angle which I quite liked stylewise - however the gold collar and inner gold tube cheapened the look a bit imho.

Overall this is a very nice formulation and shade with no caveats for the lippy itself. One star off for the packaging which doesn't look uber expensive or glam to my eyes.

Maybelline Fit Me Powder 9g
Maybelline Fit Me Powder 9g

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, ill thought out packaging, 21 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will freely admit to being a bit confused by this product. When I ordered it, I assumed it was a powder foundation, the main reason being it comes in a very wide range of shades, whereas pressed or loose powder that is simply meant to fix your liquid foundation is usually translucent. But looking at the Maybelline website this DOES appear to be a standard pressed powder to set your makeup. As such its quite a nice one, lightweight, non-pore clogging, lovely natural skin tones - really little or nothing to fault in the formulation.

The reason I've taken a couple of stars off though is the packaging. At first glance it's actually quite smart - the window in the compact lets you see the powder shade ahead of purchase and I like the fact it comes with a mirror and powder puff too. But here's the rub. The mirror is under the powder layer. So you have to fill your puff, flip the powder up to see the mirror, apply the product - ooops not enough - flip the mirror down, load more product, flip the powder up to see the mirror again......and so on and so on. Wouldn't it have been easier just to forgo the window and put the mirror in the lid?

Zanussi ZAN1910UEL Cyclone Classic All Floor Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, 800 W, Ice White/Yellow
Offered by Co-op Electrical

3.0 out of 5 stars Suck me!, 19 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First the pluses. This vacuum is small and compact and perfect for people who don't have a huge amount of storage space. The box it comes in is surprisingly petite and very funky with a Vespa print on to ram home the Italian pedigree. There's some self assembly required, but nothing too onerous - basically plugging the stretch hose into the body, joining two sections of chrome tubing, then attaching the head of your choice (floor or upholstery). The design is very simple, but very attractive, nice and streamlined with two huge buttons - one for power on/off and one to recoil the electric cable. Nb I think you can use your feet for the controls too as the buttons are certainly large enough. The cable is a generous length, and overall the build quality and materials used are great. When I first used this cleaner I thought the suction was phenomenal for the wattage - carpet actually being lifted off the floor - and I had to slide the control that releases some of the suction so that I could manoeuvre the head more easily. The vacuum did an excellent job of picking up dust, dirt, feathers and so on. I particularly liked that the smallish head and long hose made it easy to get under my coffee table - couldn't do that with an upright without attaching a myriad of extra tube and tools. Emptying it was fairly straightforward - basically detaching a section of the vacuum, opening a small door via a push button, then angling the bin so that the dust just fell out.

On the downside I found it a real effort to push the head around - you basically cannot do a forward stroke at all as the head just won't budge on carpet, all the cleaning being done as you pull it back toward you on the reverse stroke. A lot of modern cylinder vacuum cleaners are like this and I don't really like it, as it seems twice the work of an upright and very tiring (though does keep you fit) . Although my first usage gave impressive cleaning, after emptying the bin and carrying on, the suction seemed lesser, so I don't know if the spongy filters get blocked up quite quickly, or if I'd not put the vacuum back together exactly right. Again, I notice this quite often with different brands of cylinder cleaner.

On the whole I think this is not a bad vacuum at a really excellent price and if you have a small house or flat it will probably do the trick without breaking the bank. I agonised a bit over the star rating. 3.5 would have been my ideal score but we aren't allowed to give halves and decent as it is, I don't think it quite merits 4.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20