Profile for RM/TM > Reviews

Content by RM/TM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 419

RM/TM (UK.)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Women
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Women

3.0 out of 5 stars Redundant imho., 9 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not really sure what the point of these sports insoles is - most trainers and walking boots are all ready pretty well cushioned so I am at a loss as to why you might need to source extra padding. If it's to make a normal shoe more comfortable so you can say, take a decent walk during your lunch hour, or not get sore achey feet during a marathon shopping trip, then you'd probably be better off with a non-sports shoe variety of insoles in your normal shoes (Scholl also sell these). Whichever way you go, the same caveats will apply. You will most likely need to trim the insoles as they come in a generic format, spanning three shoe sizes. Having trimmed them, you may not have managed such a clean comfortable edge as the factory cutting machines that first produced these and you will notice this rough edge during wear (which can be really annoying, trust me!). You might find them tricky to get into your shoe at all, since they are both wide and deep - and sports shoes or trainers tend to be an even tighter and narrower fit than a standard shoe. You won't be able to wear them with an open shoe such as a fit flop as they are too thick and obvious and will spoil the look (not to mention won't work with any type of thong or toe post).

True, if you can get a decent fit these are very comfortable, with soft fabric uppers, breathing holes and a substantial plastic/gel base, but I'm just not sure it's really worth the bother. Most of all, they are pricey for something you will likely have to alter yourself, you may have to remove the existing insole to get them into your footwear, and on a sports shoe you will likely only be replicating exactly what you've just removed.

Kerastase Irisome Bain Satin 1 Complete Nutrition Shampoo
Kerastase Irisome Bain Satin 1 Complete Nutrition Shampoo
Offered by Beauté Définie LONDON

4.0 out of 5 stars Squeaky clean., 4 April 2015
Nice creamy shampoo that cleanses without stripping. Moisturising, but doesn't weigh hair down, despite being quite rich. I also love the smell which is kind of clean, soapy and neutral - absolutely not a fan of herby, fruity or medicinal shampoos, so this somewhat benign scent was a big hit with me. Lovely finish after blow drying - shiny with no frizz, but definitely not thin or flat.

Kerastase reformulated this product a few years back, and whilst I don't think it's quite as stellar as it used to be, it's still a great shampoo and I would happily recommend it to anyone.

Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Women
Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Women

3.0 out of 5 stars Bouncy but big!, 4 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are quite thick and cushiony insoles with grey fabric uppers and a plastic gel base. The pack I ordered are sized to fit a woman's 5-8 shoe, and what that means is you have to trim the insole down yourself if you are smaller than a size 8, with lines printed on the toe area to guide you. Though the insoles were not particularly difficult to alter (as in not too tough to cut through), it was a bit tricky to get a perfectly rounded end like the factory finish and thus they didn't fit my shoes brilliantly - I could feel the slightly ragged edge around my toes when wearing them which annoyed me somewhat. On top of this the insoles are generally quite broad and thus difficult to get into your shoe in the first place - I can't imagine trying to get them into a pair of boots. They would be much easier to fit and wear in a mule-type shoe or sandal, but unfortunately are thick enough that they'd easily show and spoil the look.

In fairness they did feel very comfortable once in place - shock-absorbing, cushioning and bouncy - almost trampoliney - but the difficulty getting a really good fit and the limitations on which type of shoes they'd work with would probably put me off buying them again. Also, even though they felt lovely and warm on the cold drizzly day I tested them, I imagine they could be quite hot and sweaty in warmer weather (despite having breathing holes) based on my experience of other similar insoles.

I think these are a decent option if you are wearing quite wide-fitting completely closed shoes and are prepared to spend the time trimming them very precisely to get a good fit. But really, Scholl need to issue these in individual sizes to make them more user-friendly, especially when you consider the price you are paying.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth legs and buffed face. Lovely!, 4 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already have one of the Braun Silk Epil range (with the pen epilator and shaver attachements rather the facial buffer and massager attachment that comes with this model), so the bulk of this review will be similar to the other one I wrote.

The Braun Silk Epil 9 is cordless, comes with a host of extras including a seperate unit which buffs, massages or cleanses the face. It's designed to be used wet or dry so you can safely take it into the shower and watch the detritus flush away. The big question though is would it be any good at removing hair?

First thing out of the box I noticed was the build quality - a lot of attachments for beauty products feel like a bit of an afterthought, a little gimmicky, but, like the main unit, all the sundries to this epilator had the same solid, well designed feel and when in use were well integrated and secured. As usual it's recommended to give it a full charge before first use but after that, an hours charge should provide 40 minutes use which is probably enough to cover a fair sized chimp. I found it much less painful than experiences with earlier models, and I think with repeated use even that nominal level of discomfort would improve. The wide head really covered the ground well and a couple of passes were enough to leave me very smooth indeed. A feature I thought might be a but unnecessary was the built in light but surprisingly it really did help pick out odd hairs where another pass might be beneficial. I didn't notice any great difference between using it in or out of the shower, other than the convenience having the hair wash straight away, but the flexibility to use it wherever I choose is a bonus.

The separate massage unit is also well made, and can be used with cleansing creams as a great make up removal tool or for gentle exfoliation. It's extremely relaxing to use, feels comfortable and light in the hand, so can be used for a while without you becoming tired and most important of all, the results are excellent. My skin felt cleaner and fresher than it would with my usual cloth and cleanse routine. Be aware the massage unit is battery operated so don't waste time looking for where it connects to the charging stand though!

It's not a cheap product, at over £100 it's a lot to spend on hair removal, but the quality of the build and the results really do show you get what you pay for. It's less painful and cheaper in the long run than waxing and a bit less harsh on the skin than chemical hair removal creams. It's a great product and I'd happily recommend it.

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting., 11 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When one of their twin daughters dies in a fall, Sarah and Angus decide to move to a tiny private island off the coast of Skye and immerse themselves in a renovation project to distract from their grief. But the fresh start does not go quite according to plan when surviving daughter Kirstie suddenly announces that she is actually twin sister Lydia!

Whilst perhaps not Booker prize material this is a very effective page turner full of sinister moments that gave me a genuine chill, especially when reading late at night. The feeling of isolation on the barely habitable island is very well conveyed and I wondered if the author did in fact have some personal connection to the Hebrides or had been inspired by a trip there. There is lovely description of both landscape and weather, and a believable sense of how difficult it is to fit into a new community when you are both an outsider by birth and still somewhat separated by geography (the mud flat path to the island is completely cut off at high tide and the family have only a basic inflatable dinghy, which means that whenever anyone goes to Skye or the mainland the other occupants are effectively trapped on the island till dawn).

The book is not without minor plot holes (not sure how a lick of paint to the light keepers cottage could transform it from worthless to millionaires pad, nor did it seem entirely reasonable that Sarah would have successfully blotted out so many past memories that were essential to the plot). However the twists are handled quite well, and just as I was congratulating myself on having guessed most of them in advance, came one final and totally unexpected tease!

A good read.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-558 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Extras Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-558 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Extras Attachments

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results and much less painful., 9 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On previous attempts at using epilators I'd found them a bit hit and miss. Often the small heads meant many painful passes to get good coverage and the results weren't always good. So previous devices rapidly became ornaments in the cupboard rather than a useful part of my pampering kit.

The Braun Silk Epil 9 is cordless, comes with a host of extras including shaver heads and a separate pen like facial epilator. Designed to be used wet or dry you can safely take it into the shower and watch the detritus flush away. The big question though is would it be any good at removing hair?

First thing out of the box I noticed was the build quality, a lot of attachments for beauty products feel like a bit of an afterthought, a little gimmicky, but, like the main unit, all the sundries had the same solid, well designed feel and when in use were well integrated and secured. As usual it's recommended to give it a full charge before first use but after that an hours charge should provide 40 minutes use which is probably enough to cover a fair sized chimp. In use it was so much less painful than previous experiences, and I think with repeated use even that should improve. The wide head really covered the ground well and a couple of passes where enough to leave me very smooth indeed. A feature I thought might be a but unnecessary was the built in light but surprisingly it really did help pick out where another pass might be needed. I didn't notice any great difference between using it in our out of the shower, other than the convenience of not having to deal with the resulting hairs, but the flexibility to use it wherever I choose is a bonus.

The pen style facial epilator is also well made, excellent for tackling unruly sideburn areas or the corners of the mouth and lips. There's no getting around it, doing the corners of the mouth and top lip hurts but persevere and the results are excellent. Again I'm assured that repeated use will diminish the amount and thickness of any returning hair and thus the attendant ouch factor.

It's not a cheap product, at over £100 pounds it's a lot to spend but the quality of the build and the results really do show you get what you pay for. It's less painful and cheaper in the long run than waxing and a bit less harsh on the skin than chemical hair removal creams. It's a great product and I'd happily recommend it.

Polti Vaporetto Airplus Steam Cleaner
Polti Vaporetto Airplus Steam Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of puff!, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd wanted a steam cleaner for a while, having seen them demo'd on the shopping channels, and thinking one would be great for cleaning kitchen and bathroom surfaces like sinks, tiles and taps. I suppose I'd had a smaller hand held model in mind, so this Vaporetto didn't exactly fit the bill - however, I was prepared to give it a go in the interests of research! As a number of other reviewers have pointed out this model looks a lot like a vacuum cleaner and needs to be assembled in much the same way, with the hose having to be plumbed into the front of the unit before you can get going. The cap over the water tank is a bit fiddly to get on and off due to the fact it's partly concealed under the handle, and even though a little plastic jug is supplied to help you measure the correct amount of water, the hole into the tank is quite small and some spillage is almost inevitable. This might not sound like a big deal but the electric cord enters the cleaner just a few cm away so I don't think it's ideal design-wise.

Once the tank is filled with the stipulated amount of water and the hose plumbed in you can switch your Vaporetto on to warm up. Approximately ten minutes later (and accompanied by the smell of warm rubber!) you are ready to clean. There is a catch on the handle that has to be 'unlocked' first, and then you just depress the trigger and steam starts coming out. I initially tested my unit without any attachments in place, to spot clean a grimy kitchen floor. The amount of steam generated was impressive and the dirt dislodged fairly convincingly, although obviously you need to wipe over the surface afterwards as there is nothing to mop up the water in spot cleaning mode. However, if you use the special floor cleaning head fitted with its supplied cloth (as I later did) for a less focused effort, then you don't need to mop up when you're done. I was quite impressed with the ease with which this gadget removed grubby patches, though using it in a small area as I was, it wasn't just the floor that got steamed, unfortunately, but my butchers block and all the stuff stored on it too!

The instructions say that you can also use your Vaporetto for window panes, mirrored surfaces, enamelled surfaces, upholstery and carpet, which impressed me quite a bit as I had thought its use might be restricted to hard surfaces only - it will even take the creases out of clothes. You also have the option to use a deodorising solution (supplied) which has its own reservoir, for extra freshness. The instructions also amusingly tell you that children over 8 and persons with reduced mental capabilities can use this if properly supervised (I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that this is a bad translation from the Italian!).

Overall, I thought this appliance cleaned well but in a small room it is hard not to steam everything in the vicinity accidentally, particularly since the dial to control the output doesn't have a very clear indication of which way is up and which way is down. For that reason, I would think a smaller more basic model might be suitable for people like me with compact and bijoux accommodation. However, if you have a large house and/or a need to clean really thoroughly e.g. a home business such as beauty salon, this could work really well for you.

Vax AirRevolve Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Vax AirRevolve Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality and will give you a workout to rival the gym!, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first impression of this vacuum cleaner was somewhat mixed. It's extremely heavy when in it's packaging and I ended up having to use a knife to cut down the sides of the Amazon brown outer packaging so I could just slide the Vax box out, rather than have to lift it. Equally when I opened the Vax packaging it was still a bit of a trial unpacking the myriad bits and pieces, it being necessary to remove most of the accessories (even if you don't plan on using them immediately) just to get at the body, hose and powered head. I did try to remind myself that the average purchaser would probably be keeping this vaccum for years, not unpacking a different model a week as we sometimes do on the Vine testing scheme, but even so it was hard not be mildly frustrated by the effort involved getting the thing out in comparison with other models I have trialed. However, once I'd conquered the cardboard city it quickly became apparent that I was looking at a very well made vacuum cleaner with top quality materials used, the assembly of which was actually very straightforward, aided and abetted by well written instructions in a proper glossy brochure - not the terrible back and white unfolding table cloth-sized sheets that come with many appliances these days. The neon colour scheme (which I like a lot for its aesthetics) is also an aid to assembly as the various clips, pins and arrows are all clearly marked. Everything snaps into place with reassuringly loud clicks and shouts quality.

Once I'd got the Vax assembled I tested it in my lounge and was very impressed with the level of suction - literally pulling the carpet off the floor, and restoring old downtrodden pile. It coped extremely well with pet hair, human hair, biscuit crumbs, cobwebs and general dust. I found the suction all the more impressive knowing that this machine is 'only' 800 watts. Initially, I did find it a bit difficult to move the powered head around, especially when trying to pull it backwards after a cleaning stroke ready for the next pass, but if you turn the suction down slightly using the slider near the handle it becomes a lot easier to manoeuvre, with only a very nominal loss of suction. If I were rating this vacuum on cleaning ability alone I would probably be giving it 5 stars because it really is phenomenal for the power output.

However, there are a few caveats to its practical day to day use. Although I love the design of the main unit which includes both the bin and a completely sealed storage compartment for the cord, the unit is wide enough that I did have problems with access, for example trying to squeeze it between my sofa and the coffee table (which is marble topped, heavy and not the easiest thing to move). I also found it a bit of a pain to get the bin out for emptying - you are basically bending right down to floor level to do it, so it's not the best for your back. When the bin is out there is no easy way of holding it whilst you empty it (no handle) and I ended up putting one finger through the hole into the bin (yuck!) to give me some purchase as I pulled the yellow tab to open the bottom and allow waste disposal. At the same time I was using the other arm to try and lift the lid of our communal skip bin, so not the easiest procedure (it's not that straightforward with a Dyson or Black and Decker cyclone type bin either, but this Vax bin was by far the worst of the three). As much as I liked the 'stand upright' feature of the main unit to allow stair cleaning, the size of the powered head and the overall weight of the vacuum means I'll probably revert to using one of my hand-held or cordless vacs for this part of the house.

In summary, a very well made vacuum cleaner with unbeatable suction power, especially at this wattage, but heavy, quite large and not as easy to store as an upright. 3.5 stars.

Gillette Fusion Manual Razor with FlexBall Technology
Gillette Fusion Manual Razor with FlexBall Technology
Offered by Electrics Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative design that delivers on performance, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Gillette blades nearly everyday since i started shaving many years ago. Progressing though the various iterations of double, treble and quad blades offerings. With each new system there is a bit of a law of diminishing returns. Does a four blade system really do a much better job than a three blade. In my experience it does a little but often not enough to justify the extra price. This new blade utilizes the existing fusion blades so any improvement will really be down to the ergonomics of the new flexball system. Essentially the flexball allows the blade to follow the contours of the face by allowing it to pivot and turn, a little like the dyson ball hoover system. Nice Idea but would it have any practical impact on improving the shave quality of the already good fusion blade?

I tried it out on a two day growth. So a decent challenge . The unit feels nice in the hand, perhaps a little heavier than a standard fusion handle and with little raised dimples on the handle to increase grip in the wet. I found it really secure and stable in my hand. Using some Gillete gel I began the shave. The blade glided over the skin whisking off the stubble in smooth and easy fashion. So well in fact that it really only needed one pass to get a good result. Area around the chin and above the top lip present no obstacle and similarly only required one pass. I was both surprised and impressed at the difference made. It was as good and as quick as the powered versions but without the need for a battery, A bigger jump in performance than moving from the Mach 3 blades to the original Fusion system and with the big bonus that there's no need to change cartridges. Well done Gillette, innovative design that delivers on performance.

VAX C86-AW-Phe Air Silence Vacuum Cleaner, 800 W
VAX C86-AW-Phe Air Silence Vacuum Cleaner, 800 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the lack of watts, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Vax C86 AW is the first new vacuum cleaner I've experienced since the change to European regulations on maximum power rating. I was curious to see what impact it would have on performance and I'm really glad to say my fears went unrealised.

On removing the cleaner from the packaging the first thing to notice is the usual Vax build quality. It feels sturdy and the attachments go together securely. Once the main hose is attached to the body you're ready to go. The unit it comes with both powered and unpowered heads and tube for curtains and upholstery. The non powered head is for hard surfaces, although I used it on carpet and it still performed satisfactorily, and did a good job of clearing crumbs from the kitchen floor. I did notice the it does need some effort to pull it around, more than i'm used to with my upright, nut not enough to put me off using it.

The powered head is pretty heavy, at least a kilo, and take a bit of getting used to. It need to be secured properly or pushing the button for it will have no effect, but once in place it performs really well. Even on what looks like clean carpet the amount of dust transferred to the clear plastic bin is impressive. I have a very deep pile carpet in my living room and it came up beautifully after a going over with this cleaner. Another nice feature is the extremely low noise level. My current upright is noticeably quieter than cleaners of a decade a go but this Vax is on another level. The radio playing at a pretty low level was still audible without adjustment, conversation could be heard easily and my cat didn't bolt for another room as he usually does when vacuuming starts. The "Air Silence" part of the name is not overstated.

With the heads detached the 3 in 1 tube made short work of the crumbs that accumulate between the cushions of the settee and was long and light enough to give my cornices a good going over. So all in all the cleaner proved to be flexible and competent enough to do all the tasks I'd expect from a whole house vacuum and with a six year warranty included I have confidence it'll be trouble free for an extended period. My only reasons for not giving five stars is the weight of the powered head and the slight lack of mobility of the main unit. Other than that a really good product

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20