Profile for MJP > Reviews

Content by MJP

MJP (England)

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars No Good for Journalism/On-Location Recording, 28 Aug 2012
I bought this as a back-up recorder for conducting voice interviews. Unfortunately, this device's shell is made of such cheap plastic and is so hollow, every single tiny movement of your fingers on the device will be heard by the microphone. For comparison, I've previously used my Samsung Galaxy SII as a back-up recorder and due to its premium build, touching any part of the screen relatively gently won't show up in the final recording (I tested it just now for this review).

Perhaps I was naive to expect this from a device of this price; but it really is no good.

The sound quality when you're not touching it is perfectly adequate, and I'm sure the many other five-star reviews are accurate for the purposes for which they were using the H1. But for me, it is no good.

Asus EeePC 1015PX 10.1 inch netbook (Intel Atom N570 1.66GHz, 1Gb, 250Gb, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Win 7 Starter) - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Little Machine, 19 Oct 2011
I briefly had an Acer Aspire One netbook, but it did not live up to expectations at all, so I had higher hopes for this nice little Asus.

First impressions are pretty good: When you first get it out of the box the machine feels relatively light, even with the very good six sell battery in tow. In terms of how it looks it's pretty standard. Unfortunately most parts of the machine pick up grease and dust like a magnet - especially bad is the touchpad and the the areas surrounding it, and the very shiny bezel which is impossible not to touch when opening the lid.

The keyboard on this machine is one of the best I've used - its chiclet design has a quality feel to it, and the keys aren't too noisy. Most importantly, it's very easy to type on.

The touchpad is pretty good as well - upon first use it feels very hard to move your fingers around on but after some use it becomes more how you'd expect a touchpad to feel. The built-in touchpad software allows for multi-touch gestures, which is very nice for scrolling and right-clicking.

Performance-wise, I would say this is the fastest new netbook you can get for the price (currently two hundred and fifty pounds in October 2011). The Intel Atom 570 is very nippy, and as long as you don't load up application after application, the chip will perform happily doing a bit of browsing, video watching and document writing. It copes fine with 720p YouTube videos, and performs reasonably well with 720p mkv files as well. My brief time with the Acer Aspire One saw me getting frustrated with its shortfalls when conducting basic web-related tasks - this machine gives me none of that frustration. I'd say the 570 is the bare minimum processor you should be looking to find in a modern netbook.

The machine only comes with 1GB of RAM - I strongly suggest anybody who likes to keep lots of tabs open in their browser to buy the 2GB RAM featured on this page.
2GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module
It's extremely easy to fit - there's a flap on the bottom which you have to unscrew and unclip, but it's literally a 2 minute job, compared to other netbooks where you have to have a degree in computer science and dainty fingers to work out how to replace the RAM

Battery life is excellent - it's no the 11 hours Asus advertises, but the manufacturers' estimates are never accurate. Based on my usage, I have managed to get between 7 and 8 hours life out of a single charge, which is extremely impressive considering the amount of use I got out of it.

The device does get pretty hot at times, but not uncomfortably so. I'd describe the heat on my thighs right now as 'toasty'. It's also a pretty quiet netbook.

The machine comes loaded with some Asus software, most of which I uninstalled or deactivated. It also comes with Dual OS options - you can activate the option to boot up a simple OS which allows you to browse the web within seconds. I don't really see the point of it myself, but it does allow you access to the web in just 10-15 seconds if you're in a huge hurry. Windows 7 Starter works as it should - the only downside to it is the lack of desktop customisation, but that's really the only feature you'll miss on a basic machine like this. It also comes with Office 2010 Starter - ad-supported versions of Word and Excel, which is a nice touch.

The screen is bright enough and its resolution is nothing special at 1024*600, but perfectly usable on most websites. The speakers aren't particularly loud but this isn't really a bad thing on a netbook - some compromises have to me made to keep them at such a small size.

Overall, I'd say this is a fantastic little netbook, let down only by its grease magnetism and its lack of RAM and love of bloatware. If you're looking for a netbook, even if you don't choose this one, choose one with a similar processor or you may find yourself getting frustrated with performance.

Pentax Optio LS1100 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD Screen

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy, but fatally flawed, 23 Feb 2011
This camera makes a great small camera for those everyday situations where you simply have to take a photo to share with your friends. In terms of picture quality it's nothing special, but perfectly okay for casual shots. However, while the camera has HD video, more often than not I found that it would record no sound for my videos, meaning it was pretty much useless in that regard. If you're looking for a casual compact HD video camera, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a stills camera, consider it but I'm certain there are cheaper options with similar qualities.

Ricco P26 MINI DSP 2.0 CHANNEL Ultra Light Aluminium USB Portable Travel Powerful Speaker For Laptop Desktop MAC Computer Netbook ---(Built-in DSP USB Sound Card, NO messy 3.5mm audio line-in cable is required any more.) (Black)
Offered by Gadget Express
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Quality, Right Price, 20 Jan 2011
I haven't had working internal speakers for my travelling laptop for more than two years, so when I'm away without speakers, I don't particularly enjoy wearing ear buds. This speaker is both light and practical and can fit in any decent laptop bag, plus it comes with its own protective drawstring bag. It's pretty simple to clip onto the laptop (although no instructions are provided on how to do so) and actually looks pretty good as well.

In terms of sound, the speaker is great for its size and price (17 at time of writing). There's little bass, but you wouldn't expect any. It's slightly tinny, but you wouldn't expect miracles from such a small device. The maximum volume is extremely impressive, and a major selling point for those wanting to use the speaker as part of a presentation.

Basically, if you're after a portable speaker that does everything one could expect on the move, buy this one. You won't regret it!

Advent KBW100 Aluminium Keyboard
Advent KBW100 Aluminium Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Sturdy, 10 May 2010
I've been using this keyboard for about two years and it's done me a good service. I've spilled multiple drinks on it, dropped it many times, put countless crumbs under the keyboard, punched it out of frustration and much much more. And yet, it continues to provide perfect response day after day. It feels great, as it did when I first got it. The media buttons work well and are very useful, although you need to be VERY careful about accidentally hitting the power button which is just above the delete key. I've only done it twice in two years, usually with ham-fistedness or dropping my phone on it. I'm putting this keyboard into retirement now, but before I confine it to my shelves I thought I'd write something nice about it.

eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 by BenHeck
eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 by BenHeck

1.0 out of 5 stars An enourmous disappointment, 13 Oct 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
(I did not buy this product from Amazon, but I need to tell the public about this monster)

I have no idea who this "Ben Heck" is, but I will not be buying anything with his name on it again. Here's why:

Sound: Shallow and loud, even at a low volume setting. I have heard better sound from an 8 set of headphones you might plug in your TV once in a while. This is a GAMING headset but you would not notice, it's just a boring mess of sound. I tried this with music and games and got the same disappointing result.

Microphone: What microphone? I use my microphone a lot, not just for gaming, and expected more than just a cheap silver shell with one hole in it. It picks up on all noise other than my voice, and is nearly impossible to position correctly in front of my mouth. Oh and for the record, my head is normally shaped.

Look and feel: I was prepared to forgive the ugly fake leather if the headset was good, but it wasn't so I won't. The "leather" feels horrible and heats up very quickly. The rest of the headset looked scratched and somewhat dirty on arrival from the seller (the direct seller, believe it or not!).

Conclusion: Overpriced by about 800%, low quality and generally useless. Basically very expensive ear-warmers.

Sawdust
Sawdust
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for fans, 4 Jan 2008
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
People will criticise this album for being a compilation of old tracks, and that it doesn't contain enough new material... These people aren't true fans of The Killers.

Sawdust is 18 tracks of classic Killers music; old tracks slightly varied and re-recorded, brand new tracks from previous recording sessions and some new tracks to boot.

I have yet to find a track that I didn't like (although the Mr Brightside remix is a bit iffy), and am still enjoying listening to it over and over again.

High recording quality and Brandon Flowers' trademark singing style make this album a must-have, and the opening track makes it even more desirable.

Buy it!

LUPO Digital TV DVB-T USB Adapter/Dongle/Stick Freeview Receiver/Recorder and Aerial for PC and Laptop.
Offered by LUPO STORE
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All-Round Great Buy - Watch the Software, 6 Dec 2007
First, I have to say, this product is amazing value. Now onto the review.

I kept having to convince myself that I really wanted this gadget, and I'm glad I finally decided to buy it because it will change my TV viewing for the better.

The Dongle itself is small and very light and plugs into your house aerial or the not-so-good standard mini aerial it comes with. The mini-aerial doesn't pick up many channels, including E4+1 but no E4 among other strange ones. However, the signal quality with the channels it can find are pretty good.

Plugging it into your home aerial will get you the same amount of channels you would if you had a Freeview box, and once I did a large amount of moving wires about, I had many channels all at high quality.

The software is not compatible with Vista, so you need to contact the seller for a patch, which I did.

With the patch installed, I tried the standard software. It is very sluggish, with channel changing taking about 3 seconds, and user-unfriendly controls as well. Being able to "timeshift" is very useful, but you cannot pause time-shifted TV, which is very strange. This means if you've left it recording TV, and you don't want the plot in your tv show to be given away, you'll have to cover up the screen so you can only see the operating panel. Recording to MPEG format is brilliant; there are no faults with that, and timer records can be made. The quality of recorded TV and timeshifted TV is slightly lower than live TV, but that is to be expected. The EPG is useless (it doesn't find programmes, or if it does they are wrong), so you'll have to find an alternative way of finding out what's on "now and next", like using TV guides or online guides.

Using the software that the seller (gizmo-deals) will send you if you use Vista, you will have a much better time. It's more user-friendly and works generally better by allowing you to pause live TV among other features.

All-in-all, a great product; but see if you can find some better software to use it with.

Labtec headset 242 (discontinued by manufacturer)
Labtec headset 242 (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 25 Nov 2007
I'm only using this headset for narrations, and it works very well for that. With the bud in the right place, voice sounds very good. Just make sure you turn your microphone level down a bit, using whatever microphone options your computer has.

For audio they are not so great, but since it's designed for web chatting and not music; this isn't going to be a problem for most users.

They're not stunningly comfortable, but there is plenty of size-changing for heads of all shapes and sizes. The bud has plenty of movement, but tends to move back into its original position when you adjust it, so it requires some fiddling.

If you like to webchat, or just like the sound of your own voice, then this cheap headset is for you!

Logitech X-230 Multimedia Speaker System - 32 Watt (Total) (2.1) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best in the price range, 13 Nov 2007
Other reviews on many websites, and on Amazon have said that these speakers are the best in the price range, and they were not wrong! These speakers emit stunning sound quality; a booming bass and clear mid-range sound as well.

You cannot unplug the sub-woofer from the mid-range speakers, which would have been good when you want some good sound quality but don't want to disturb your sleeping family or neighbours.

A word of warning, however, if you're playing rock music and you want to hear all the instruments, keep the sub-woofer volume to a minimum (if you have it near to the other speakers) because it will drown the rest of the sound out somewhat.

These speakers look great, and will fit in anywhere; and can be wall-mounted, too! The wires between the small speakers aren't very long, so this could limit your options for placement, but since they are mainly PC speakers, this shouldn't be a problem.

A faultless product so far and I'm immensely glad I stayed within the cheap price range; becuase these speakers do exactly what I wanted them to. I'll be using these for a long time!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2011 5:41 PM GMT