Profile for Paddy > Reviews

We'll Live And Die In These Towns
We'll Live And Die In These Towns
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking debut, 10 Dec. 2007
A lot of people have wrote this brilliant new band off for being a generic indie band and the next big thing just because they are new. Granted, they have the generic indie boy shaggy haircuts and the singer sports a bit of a pout but credit where it's due....how many times have you heard a song like technodanceaphobic, cheesy but in a good way...it's awesome! The keyboard is class, puts a smile on your face and makes you dance about like a prat. Aggro is a great way to start an album, it reminds me a lot of some of the OI! that was coming out of the UK in the 80's, loads of attitude and I reckon the strongest song on the album. You're not alone may be, as some people have branded a bit predictable but you can't argue with the sentiment and that it is one hell of a good song. It's almost a belated response to Maggies outrageous "enemy within" comment about the striking miners. If you didn't know better you wouldn't believe that they are a three piece band and they undoubtedly have talent. One thing I will say though is about a song people heap praise on them for - the title track. People say it reminds them of the Jam. I wonder why......it's blatant plagiarism! I don't even need to say which classic it has borrowed from (it also reminds me of the boomtown rats I don't like mondays but I haven't spoke to many people who agree on that one, anyway what do I know?) but I don't want to focus on the negatives not that there are many. To sum them up, they don't sound like anything else at the moment that I've heard, they are still really young and will definately get better with time(not that I want to patronise them, it's just a fact) and they have already released at least two songs that will be remembered for years to come (away from here won't get out of your head once it's in!)We should be glad these indie (I hate that word but it's not like you can call it alternative these days)bands are doing the business-it wasn't long ago all we had was dance, r and b and hip hop in the charts, keep it up.

Going For Gold
Going For Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one Mazzarak!, 10 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Going For Gold (Audio CD)
In fact nice one to all below. It is so good to read proper reviews about one of the best bands the UK has ever produced. You've got it in one about this is what you should have been listening to when the press were going ape over wonderwall (they should have given the Bluetones a listen too). This album covers so many good songs from the staple tracks like bully boy and disco down to true indie classics like on standby. Noel Gallagher slagged them off recently on the box so of course loads of people followed suit. It's brilliant that they have re-formed, I missed their last farewell gig so hopefully I'll catch them this time around. One of the best voices in the business backed by equally good musicians, I'm over the moon a proper Indie band are back to show these poxy heard one you've heard 'em all bands how it's done.

Favourite Worst Nightmare
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Offered by SBSUK

3.0 out of 5 stars MMMM, not sure, 10 Dec. 2007
I think I might get slated for this but am I the only person who thinks the first album is a whole load better. Don't get me wrong musically it is tight, flawless infact. They have obviously come on leaps and bounds but something is missing. OLD YELLOW BRICKS, TEDDY PICKER and BALACLAVA are the exception to the rule. One thing I liked about the first album was the laddishness, references to nights on the lash in any town really and above all catchy tunes. Other than the songs I mentioned above this album isn't that catchy. Don't get me wrong, they are one of my favourite bands still, I just reckon expectations of them are off the scale. This is still a good album to get you dancing and bass lines continue to be well funky.....just give me the first album anyday.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 7:48 PM GMT

Bad Karma
Bad Karma

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, 10 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Bad Karma (Audio CD)
I have been after this album for years and I am so glad I persevered! Anybody who likes this band will be familiar with the street punk/oi! (whatever you want to call it)beginnings of the band. This album has got to be the pinnacle of their career. Where else would you find punk riffs and vocals alongside samples and sometimes dance beats? Lyrically amazing, sometimes surreal but always rousing. Stresss and Oxygen really get you going and these songs remind me of how good the old line up were live. (I have heard the singer from Stage Bottles has now took Matty's place and doing a top job)The album is so good it is popular with not only Skins and Punks but your average lad about the town (if he remembers them that is) I honestly can't recommend this enough, Punk you can dance to without it looking like a mass brawl!

Love It When I Feel Like This
Love It When I Feel Like This
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Qualtiy!, 10 Dec. 2007
What an album! I have had a look at some of the other reviews and find some of the negative ones don't really do the album justice or maybe they haven't actually give it a good listen. It is one of those where on first listen you think it's ok but by the third it hits you as to how good it is. Agreed, some of the lyrics are a bit chavvy and there is a bit of colourful language however nobody would slate the Arctic Monkeys for this or The Enemy for that matter (after all they are all singing about what they see). For me the best songs are DON'T WAIT UP, TWO LOVERS and PUSH THE GHOSTS, the first two could be about any bloke and what he gets up to on the lash and push the ghosts borrows really well from "Push it". That is probably the only negative for me, in the back of your head is always "I'm sure I've heard this before" but as another review said anything that reminds you of the Mondays, Roses and Inspiral Carpets etc from the early nineties can't be a bad thing. All in all quite an atmospheric album with at times quite dark sounding riffs and superb vocals, I'll not get sick of this album for ages.