Profile for Pili at In Love With Handmade > Reviews

Content by Pili at In Lov...

Pili at In Love With Handmade

Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells and Wong Mystery
Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells and Wong Mystery
by Robin Stevens

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful middle grade murder mystery, the protagonists could be the heirs of Miss Marple!, 19 July 2014
I don't usually read that much MG (middle grade) but when I do, it usually wonderful and delightful stories that make me want to read more.

I first heard about this lil gem thanks to Wendy from The Midnight Garden, when they did a reveal of the US cover and title (Murder is Bad Manners) and when I read what this book was about, I knew wouldn't wait till 2015 for the US edition and upon checking TBD, I quickly grabbed the UK edition (my anglophilia might be showing, cause I think I like this cover and title even more than the US one).

If I had to describe this book in short, I'd say it's Harry Potter (sans magic) meets Miss Marple. We have girls in a boarding school and a murder mystery! I've always loved whonuits and English/British settings, so this one was a must have for me!

The year is 1934 and we're at Deepdean School for Girls, where Hazel and Daisy have formed an unlikely alliance, friendship and Detective Society. Unlikely cause Daisy is the perfect English girl, with a rich family and the girl everyone loves. Haze is from Hong Kong and therefore none of the things that Daisy is. 1934 means after the Big War and before WWII and so there's a certain mistrust of the different and coming from Russia and Germany and the Orient, even as they're still exerting colonial influence.

The setting of the book is fantastic, feels so realistic, and you immerse yourself so well in this world! We go through the story from Hazel's POV, which is helpful since none of us are English girls from the 1930's and we'd need some help to understand the intrincacies of a boarding school and the unspoken rules and hierarchies within.

Hazel finds the boy of one of the mistresses one night at the Gym and when she returns with help (Daisy and one of the older girls) the body has disappeared. That's when the Detective Society decides to take their first real case, Daisy completely enthusiastic, Hazel still in shock and more than a lil frightened.

Then starts the detecting, the alibi setting, the motives ascertaining and you keep on turning page after page to see what else Daisy will cook up, and what new clue one of leading ladies will discover. Both of them favour some of the suspects over another due to personal likes and dislikes, and it's quite a lesson both girls will have to learn, as well as a better way to work together.

All in all a most delightful read, including when the real villain being revealed and upon having guessed right a 5 am fist pump happened! I'm quite looking forward for more books in this series now. Very well deserved 4.5 stars.

ACID
ACID

4.0 out of 5 stars A great dystopian story reminder of the classics of the genre!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: ACID (Kindle Edition)
Writing a review for ACID is gonna be a bit tough, not because I don't think it is a brilliant book, that it is, but because I think this is one of those reviews that must be absolutely spoiler free, and that's gonna be hard to pull off!

ACID is a purely dystopian tale, with a touch of science fiction due to the future time setting, but it doesn't have the usual post-apocalyptic undertones of other dystopians. Here there was no worldwide catastrophe, here humanity doesn't have to start from scratch, here there was a bid for power at a vulnerable moment in history, and a country has been shaped at those powers' will.

There are some elements that would remind me of 1984 and even A Brave New World, in the way society has been changed, and in how fear & lies are what keep the populace under control.

ACID is Jenna Strong's story but not only hers. Jenna does honour her last name, she's a very strong and resilient character. I loved having a main character that was a female and kicked arse!

But the best thing about ACID is not just having a strong female character as the main character, the best thing about ACID was how it kept managing to surprise me at every twist of the story! I kept expecting the story to go one way, turned the page and bam! I had been thrown a curve ball and was surprised. Time after time! And that's also the main reason I don't want to discuss plot much during the review, cause I don't want to let anything slip!

This was a great read, and also quite a change of pace since it's a stand alone and it felt great enjoying and wrapping a story in one book.

Very much deserved 4 stars for this one!

All Our Yesterdays
All Our Yesterdays
by Cristin Terrill

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing time travelling with consequences book!, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: All Our Yesterdays (Paperback)
I've settled to give this book 4 and a half stars and I have to say I'm still tempted to give it 5 stars.

Making sure this review is as spoiler free as possible might be difficult, cause this is a book I'll love to talk about for a long time, but I don't want to spoil the experience of wondering, pondering and passing pages frantically not being sure what to expect of it!

All Our Yesterdays is about time travel, it's not all about the science behind time travel or the discovery of time travel, though we do get a plausible enough explanation with enough science to make you understand and make it believable, but it's more about our choices in life, and what would be do to save the future.

The book starts with Em and Finn in prison, and Em obsessed with the drain in her prison cell. There she finds a list of all the things she's done before to change the present by going back to the past and didn't work, and the one thing that she and Finn need to do, their last chance at making sure the horrible world they are living in doesn't happen.

The narrative keeps on changing back and forth, from the present to the future, to the past, and going from one character to another, but it is never confusing, it just manages to keep you captivated and wondering. I kept on turning pages and wondering if they'd change the future and how, cause every event kept on changing what had happen before and what might happen in the future...

There is romance in the book but it is not the wirldwind one that swepts you off your fit, it's the one built through hardship, companionship & friendship, it's the kind romance that gives that extra spark when the going gets rough and that helps you see there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cristin Terrill wrote a fantastic book, very well rounded and that will make you want to devour and savour it, all that the same time. And after finding out there's a sequel, and I'm quite anxious to see what new twists and turns she'll have in store for us!

Asunder (Incarnate)
Asunder (Incarnate)
by Jodi Meadows

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second book, even better than the first!, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Asunder (Incarnate) (Hardcover)
Wow, hats off to Jodi Meadows, if book 1 was great, Asunder has all the great and some more for good measure!

We are getting some answers finally, as Ana keeps going through her journey and more questions that only the inquisitiveness of the New Soul can raise. There are big issues dealt with in these books, the hate of those who are different, the dismissiveness of those who we consider inferior... all of that started in the first book, and it's taken into even higher stakes in here.

There's so much of Heart's story that we don't know about, and apparently not even their own inhabitants are aware of it! Anna's discover part of Janan's secrets, but still there's so much more to find out about, and the threat is bigger than ever!

And in the more personal level, Sam and Anna deal with more troubles in their relationship, dealing with their own issues and differences, and dealing with some external influences, all of it well wrapped in some amazing swooniness!

I just can't wait for book 3 and hopefully all the answers to the questions left and others that might come up in the last book itself!

Olympus EP-11 Detachable Eyepiece
Olympus EP-11 Detachable Eyepiece
Offered by V-BASKET

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the bf wanted, 11 Feb 2013
I got this eye piece for my boyfriend's camera to replace the one that he lost. This one works even better since it isolates de eye more and also provides a little more distance between your face and the camera.