Profile for Gearsau > Reviews

Content by Gearsau

Gearsau (Nerang, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
China's Great Wall: A Photographic Tour Through the Realm of Enchantment as Viewed Through the Lens of Sun Chengyi
by Dongfeng Zhai

5.0 out of 5 stars China's Great Wall: A Photographic Tour Through the Realm of Enchantment, 31 May 2014
Nice book. Extremely well photographed . I have been in China on numerous occasions and have walked at least 5 kilometres on the wall. If you are looking for a well presented book on The Great Wall of China, you would be satisfied.

A few years ago, I travelled by train from Beijing to Urumqi and back to Shanghai. I recognised some places in this book.

In the Shadow of Angkor - Unknown Temples of Ancient Cambodia
In the Shadow of Angkor - Unknown Temples of Ancient Cambodia
by Kent Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars In the Shadow of Angkor, 15 April 2014
Interesting book that covers the early European discovery of the Angkor Kingdom. I purchased this book to have some more knowledge of the temples.

I have been to Angkor on three separate occasions. I feel the need to go back again this year .

China zu Fuß: The Longest Way
China zu Fuß: The Longest Way
by Christoph Rehage

5.0 out of 5 stars The Longest Way, 8 Mar 2014
A great pictorial diary of Christoph Rehage's walk across China. I purchased this book, because, as they say : " A picture tells a thousand words ". I did study German in school, but, that was a long, long time ago. However, the photos here tell the story for me.

I had followed Christoph's blog " The Longest Way ", on the internet, and was very happy to see this pictorial record of the journey.

A few years ago, I did the journey from Beijing to Urumqi by train, stopping at Jiayuguan to see the great fort there.
It was a long trip by train, so, to do the 4,646 kilometers by foot, was an immense task. I returned to Shanghai by train as well as it's the only way to see China.

If the book is ever produced in English, I will certainly purchase it : The Longest Way: 4646 Kilometer zu Fuß durch China [German] [Hardcover)

Christoph.... I take my hat off to you !!

Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747
Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747
by Clive Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747, 16 July 2013
Interesting book.. The Boeing B747 is one plane that I have done countless trips in. I purchased the book second hand from World of Books, The book arrived in a suitable time as I am in Australia.

No problems at all with the sale, and I recommend the seller..

Live Rust
Live Rust

1.0 out of 5 stars Live Rust, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS ITEM !! .. Sound is atrocious. .. Scratchy.... If I wasn't in Australia, I would send it back. Too much trouble . Its rubbish....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 11:27 PM BST

Temples of Cambodia: The Heart of Angkor
Temples of Cambodia: The Heart of Angkor
by Barry Brukoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Temples of Cambodia: The Heart of Angkor, 22 Jun 2013
Quite a good book on Angkor Wat, but, I prefer the book by Michael Freeman and Claude Jacques, " Angkor, Cities and Temples" as it the photography is better, and his book covers more temples.

If you were only going to purchase one book on the Angkor Temples, buy Michael Freeman's book.

Sanctuary: The Temples of Angkor
Sanctuary: The Temples of Angkor
by Steve McCurry

1.0 out of 5 stars Sanctuary: The Temples of Angkor, 4 April 2013
I purchased the book, second hand through Amazon. No problems with the packaging , but, I should have taken note of the previous reviews. No-one else liked the book, and, I cannot recommend this book either. It seems like Steve McCurry only covered one or two temples, and there is no description of what the temples are.

There is some information in the front of the book, and it appears to be written by a John Guy. The font size is too small, and who, in their right mind, would print this in ORANGE ??

I thought, as the temples had been photographed by Steve McCurry, that it would been good.. I have been to Angkor Wat on a number of occasions, and, my work is better.

If you are considering a book on Angkor Wat, I thoroughly recommend " Angkor, Cities and Temples ", by Claude Jacques

The Mysteries of Angkor Wat: Exploring Cambodia's Ancient Temple (Traveling Photographer)
by Richard Sobol

2.0 out of 5 stars The Mysteries of Angkor Wat., 22 Mar 2013
I was expecting something much better than what I received.
Having been to Angkor Wat and its' surrounding temples on a number of occasions, I was looking forward to this book.
44 pages in all !

The temples that are all lightly covered are : Angkor Wat,The Bayon, Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei and Ta Prohm,

I recognised one photo as being taken at Beng Mealea temple, yet, the captioning did not mention this. Beng Mealea is an amazing temple, but, involves a long tuk tuk ride through some amazing country side to get there. It was one of the high lights of my last visit there in September, 2011

I cannot recommend this book.

Mythology
Mythology

5.0 out of 5 stars Mythology by the Bee Gees, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Mythology (Audio CD)
Have liked the Bee Gees for decades. I already have a number of their Cd's, but, purchased this set, becasue it has all their most popular tracks on the 4 Cds.

Autocourse 2012: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual
Autocourse 2012: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual
by Alan Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Autocourse 2012, 10 Feb 2013
I have been purchasing Autocourse since 1972. I did miss a few years when I lived in Japan, and was unable to purchase it, but, havent missed an issue since 1997.

Always a great record of the years' F1 season. I purchase it for the photography and the technical articles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3