Profile for Poppy Barrow > Reviews

Content by Poppy Barrow

Poppy Barrow (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being
by Ruth Ozeki
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Not one for everybody, 1 Sep 2014
It took a while for me to get into this. I found it slow to start and there are copious footnotes, which I found intrusive and confusing. Most were explaining the Japanese characters and meaning and some were Oliver clarifying something. I assumed this was Oliver in the story and was afraid that I might miss something if I did not read the note, but then discovered it was also the name of the authors husband....? Once I got hooked I wanted to keep reading and I did become quite engrossed by the story. There is a lot about Japanese culture and a lot about philosophy. I am afraid I skipped quite a bit of this. The discussions about suicide and death had me at one point beginning to consider my own death and the benefits of being able to choose the timing, not what I really want from a fictional story. A lovely book, but requires attention and thought

Bluetooth Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable 40mm Speaker For iPhone 6, 5, 5s, 5c, iPod, iPad, Fire Phone and MP3 Players
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really good little gadget, 13 Aug 2014
This is a really good little gadget, easy to operate and can fit in your pocket. The sound is good enough to use with my IPad when I am wanting to listen to something while preparing meals in the kitchen. The iPad just doesn't quite have enough volume. Also used to play bits of opera for my Italian class, which was good enough. If turned up too loud the sound became quite poor, but it was ok for a largish room with a group of people and a good quality with the volume just down a bit. I find the volume button a bit confusing to operate. The speaker looks really 'cute' as well!

Accurist Ladies Quartz Watch With Mother Of Pearl Dial Analogue Display And Stainless Steel Plated Bracelet LB1541P
Price: 59.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, 3 Aug 2014
I have now been wearing this watch for about a week. The face is clear and even without my glasses I can just make out the time. The face is quite big though. This is not really a problem as it is still an acceptable size for a lady, but with my small wrist it does tend to settle with the face towards the back of my wrist. Again not really a problem, I just have to twist my wrist further to view the time! The strap was miles to big for me, but a friendly jeweller took some links out for nothing. I bought this because my usual watch, being repaired, is waterproof and I have got used to just never taking it off. Going on holiday and jumping into the shower or a pool would pose a problem so a relatively cheap waterproof stand in seemed like a good idea. It has survived the shower, but not experienced the pool yet.

The Bad Beekeepers Club: How I stumbled into the Curious World of Bees - and became (perhaps) a Better Person
by Bill Turnbull
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to read, 14 Mar 2014
I have read a few other bee books about people's experiences, but this is definitely the one to buy. Not only was it entertaining and easy to read, but it was very informative as well. I am helping to deliver a beginners course in beekeeping and as I read this I kept hearing the repetition of what we had just gone through, but this was delivered in an informal and amusing way accessible to everyone. A lot of introductions to bees are very dry and technical. If you keep bees or are thinking about it go for this. I am keeping my copy and loaning it out to friends, always a good sign!

SQ Professional Ltd Mug tree & kitchen roll holder - red
SQ Professional Ltd Mug tree & kitchen roll holder - red
Offered by Conveniencestore
Price: 10.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Who designed this?! Did they get a mug out?, 3 Jan 2014
The paper roll holder is fine and looks nice, but the mug tree... It arrived and looks beautiful in the kitchen, but it is useless. As someone else has commented, mugs don't fit on it. There is not enough space so they are either resting on the kitchen surface or the mugs below and therefore not hanging securely or rather not hanging at all, just balanced precariously. Just in case we tried smaller mugs, but concluded that it would only take tea cups unless you were willing to sacrifice most of the arms and just hang two or three mugs on the rack. It is now sitting around while I decide what to do with it as I don't want to sell it to someone else and have them waste their money. It looks lovely, but don't be tempted. You will regret it unless you are just after the roll holder.

The Devil In The White City
The Devil In The White City
by Erik Larson
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Still quoting bits weeks later!, 4 Mar 2013
This is written rather as a documentary with quotes from records of the time. It follows the initial plans to hold the World Fair of 1893 in Chicago, putting it all together, the construction, the event itself and the closing down. I am a woman managing a household with a background in social work. This is not a book I would have expected to get so much out of, but I found it absolutely fascinating and I really don't know why. The facts relating to the event were really interesting. I was constantly reading bits out my husband who is a structural engineer and he couldn't understand why I was suddenly so wrapped up in building foundations, salaries, the size of chandeliers, shredded wheat and nuts and bolts. There were so many things that were introduced at this World Fair and the way the writer dislcoses these probably helps catch the imagination. The storyline may sound dull, but you should really try it. You will find it is a book that will surprise you. So why have I given it only 4 stars? The devil. Running alongside the story of the fair is the story of a serial killer who was operating at the same time. I am afraid that I really didn't find this interesting or helpful. The two stories don't intertwine, they just run in parallel. The story of the serial killer could have been interesting, but it needed a different approach. What was good for the World Fair description was not right for the serial killer. For me, that could have been left out completely and made no difference to the book at all

The Cove (P.S.)
The Cove (P.S.)
by Ron Rash

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Cove (P.S.) (Paperback)
This had all the making of being a good read, but it fell short. There were lots of interesting characters, but they weren't fully developed and didn't go anywhere. The ending was abrupt. I have no problem with that. Life can have abrupt moments, but in a book like this I would have liked to that abruptness to have an impact. I would have expected to have felt knocked sideways or something, but it just happened and, besides just checking that it had happened as it was so quick, it left me unmoved. I read this as a book group book and the rest of the group felt much the same.

The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst (Sailor's Classics)
The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst (Sailor's Classics)
by Nicholas Tomalin
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 4 Mar 2013
This was OK, but nothing more. If you know the story then it doesn't really add much. If you don't know the story it keeps letting you know what is likely to have a negative effect later on thus giving a lot away. The issue of how people get caught up in things and how difficult it can then be to get out of it is explored fully. It is a sad tale, but didn't get me emotionally involved at all; no anger, no sadness, nothing. It was informative I suppose.

Alpaca Adult Fingerless Gloves, available in a range of natual wool colours, great for touch screen phones - Fair trade and hand-knitted in Bolivia. One Size
Offered by Tumi Latin American Crafts
Price: 8.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosy, 21 Jan 2013
I am very pleased with these gloves. The colour is good. They are very warm and easy to get on and off. I have fairly small hands and the finger bits come quite a way down, they virtually cover my little finger. This was a problem as when I was working I found that they interfered. When working you really need the first knuckle well clear, however the material is such that I find I can roll the finger bits down and then pull them up again when I want. I have only scored them 4 because they are hairy, very hairy. I know this is what Alpaca is like and I like Alpaca, but they are not the most practical of materials for gloves that are used while working. Even the dog biscuit gets stuck on them. Having said that I would not change them, but might try something different next time.

5 Star Waste Bin Polypropylene 14 Litres D304xH254mm Blue
5 Star Waste Bin Polypropylene 14 Litres D304xH254mm Blue
Offered by Shoplet-UK
Price: 3.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was needed, 14 Oct 2012
This is a good, large bin and, being plastic, is also waterproof. Although not particularly attractive it is just what was needed for a teenage son who collects empty coke bottles, crisp and biscuit packets in his bedroom despite various attempts to curtail this habit. At least now he can be encouraged to dispose of everything in the bin and empty the bin every week. I live in hope!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3