Profile for pb > Reviews

Content by pb

pb

Kitty, Daisy and Lewis The Third
Kitty, Daisy and Lewis The Third

2.0 out of 5 stars The two previous were wonderful, especially "Smoking in Heaven, 10 Feb. 2015
Was so looking forward to this one after a long wait - but just can,t muster any enthusiasm for it. The two previous were wonderful, especially "Smoking in Heaven.". That was a fantastic collection of raw and spontaneous tracks. The passion and roughness of the rootsy styles they love, really came through. Just doesn,t happen on this one. It,s obvious that their song writing and tunes have really improved. There is some classical "pop" stuff on this but that,s just it. Who wants more nice sounding pop stuff. Slightly disco-ey high hi-hatting and bass lines all the way through teeter dangerously on being kitsch.
Just really miss the dirtiness of some of the tracks on Smoking in Heaven, where they took a riff and almost hypnotically drove it into the ground; stomped on it; and nailed it shut. You could hear how much they loved it and how important it was to them. This is off in a completely different direction.

Remedy
Remedy

1.0 out of 5 stars I just love this band, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Remedy (Audio CD)
I just love this band......but I,m afraid I just can,t listen to this. Gone is the rootsy exuberance and spontaneity. The beautiful, carefree harmonies seem replaced by endless, radio-friendly choruses. I will not presume to know enough personally about them to say that it is the line-up, but there is a subtle change of direction that smothers the wild and joyful abandonment of the fast tracks, and sometimes beautiful melancholy of previous albums (apart from Tennesse Pusher. Sorry....it had all the same problems). I,m still travelling from Denmark to go and see them in London in October, and looking forward to it - but I prefer the back-porch joy of Take me Home to the saccharine, radio-friendly sounds of this one.

Crysis 3 - Hunter Edition (PS3)
Crysis 3 - Hunter Edition (PS3)

2.0 out of 5 stars How did this happen?, 28 Mar. 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Crysis 2 is a game I never tire of dipping back into - so expectation for 3 was pretty high. Should have known better. Criminally short campaign. Lengthy portions of jogging around the admittedly impressive environments with nothing to do, and more importantly no one to shoot. Having to follow and listen to a foul mouthed cockney effing his way through a story that I gave up on. Ridiculous, confusing and completely unnecessary changes to the upgrade system, that didn't seem to actually have any effect anyway. Hardly any ceph around. And never threatening as in 2.
As said, Crysis 2 is one of my favourite games. Functions so well on every level - so how this got out in it's present state is frankly,shameful.

Out of the Forests: The Art of Paul Bonner
Out of the Forests: The Art of Paul Bonner
by Paul Bonner

5.0 out of 5 stars in print agaion, 11 April 2012
Thanks for the kind comments folks....and just so you know the book is being re-printed, and a second edition should be out very soon. Hopefully May/June.

Reform School Girl
Reform School Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars hits the spot, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Reform School Girl (Audio CD)
Just can,t get this off my player. Music with passion, power and, most importantly a love - that shines and burns through all the tracks. Like all good roots music, its full of fantastic hooks and melodies that just drip and jump out the speakers, whether its Mr Currans raw vocals, his sinuous guitar playing or his equally impassioned collaborators. Like I said - for nearly two weeks I,ve tried to edge other sounds onto my player - but this one just shoulders its way back on again time after time. Thank Heavens for this bunch and The Jim Jones Revue.

RAGE (PS3)
RAGE (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear dear dear., 21 Oct. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: RAGE (PS3) (Video Game)
Was so looking forward to this but....oh dear. Come here. Talk to me. Go there. Do that. Come back. Talk to me. Go over there. Shoot someone for me. Drive there. Find him. Talk to her. Shoot someone. Talk to me (again). And again. And again. And again. Just like Viking Battle for Asgard,but without the gutsy combat. "Groundbreaking"? Dear me. Like another reviewer said - this really made me want to do something else with what little spare time I have.