Profile for Carlo Scarafiotti > Reviews

Content by Carlo Scarafiotti

Carlo Scarafiotti (Torino, Italy)

Soldier of Orange [1977] [DVD] [2007]
Soldier of Orange [1977] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Rutger Hauer

4.0 out of 5 stars still better than the Black Book, 24 May 2010
I had read a report about this film and was rather disappointed feeling that it would be difficult to order it. But then I succeded thanks to Amazon and I am really happy. A very good picture about Netherlands at that time, with a group of good actors/actresses, director Verhoeven is a master, though I would have liked some less violent scenes, the story would not have been less poignant. However, a film to keep in personal collection.

The Way Ahead [DVD]
The Way Ahead [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven

3.0 out of 5 stars an other IIworld war film, 24 May 2010
This review is from: The Way Ahead [DVD] (DVD)
I like such films that remind me of my young age at that time: of course there is a large contribution to that period orpoaganda (but this is a valid documentation about that time, too). I liked the Brits praparing with courage to meet their challenge, and David Niven was a good witty player in many an occasion. I keep these films hoping to show to my kids what was the atmosphere of those years - but I doubt they will thoroughly appreciate it.

The Malta Story [DVD]
The Malta Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alec Guinness

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected thid film to be like that, 24 May 2010
This review is from: The Malta Story [DVD] (DVD)
It's one of the many films about lonely England fighting against a nazi-conquered Europe. There is some foreseeable propaganda, but the touch is light enough and I enjoyed the pictures of that time when I was boy 13 years old in Italy and fascist radio reported daily bombing on Malta: I wondered what hell was happening there, and this film answers my questions

The Story of the Scrolls: The miraculous discovery and true significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls
by Geza Vermes

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a book I strongly wanted, 9 April 2010
In fact, I started out of mere curiosity. I am not an expert, let alone a scholar. I simply had read some reports about the discovery of old documents near Qumran, where I happened to be during a tour in that dead Sea region many many years ago.

And now that I have read - better: I am reading - it' s such a compelling experience that it takes time and attention to learn all aspects of this story. Well, it is simply fascinating. And the reader feels compelled to look for further references, I knew so litte about the Asmonean Dinasty, never heard anything about John Hircanus 1, and about Anthiochus IV Epifanes I just remembered him as a funny name for a naughty man...

I am grateful to The Economist, which published a comment on this new book and its Author: a real good advice!