Profile for Sandra Anthony > Reviews

Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking [2005] [DVD]
Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Allen Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 27 Nov. 2012
I watched this DVD 23 months ago and haven't smoked a cigarette since then. I still don't understand how it works, but it does. I'd been a heavy smoker for 44 years and had convinced myself that I'd never be able to free myself from my nicotine addiction, but an hour spent watching this DVD changed all that. And it was easy. I can't say I didn't have the occasional craving in the first couple of months after I stopped smoking, but they weren't very intense and I found I could manage them quite easily. Now I hardly ever think about smoking - and I don't miss it at all, so I don't think I'll ever, ever go back to it.

Web of Life: A New Synthesis of Mind and Matter
Web of Life: A New Synthesis of Mind and Matter
by Fritjof Capra

5.0 out of 5 stars Changes your worldview, 27 Nov. 2012
I bought this book months ago and I still haven't finished reading it. I've found I can't just gobble it up like most books - I have to stop and think and digest and get my head around a different conception of reality. It's not that it's hard to understand (although I have to admit I struggled a little with some of the more scientific chapters), it's just that it takes a lot of digesting and it's full of deeply satisfying 'aha' moments when you get a glimpse of the awesomely amazing interconnectedness of everything. And you just want to sit and contemplate the implications of what you're learning before taking more information in.

On Sales! CAMEWIN Shoulder Support (left shoulder), New Year Gift Idea
On Sales! CAMEWIN Shoulder Support (left shoulder), New Year Gift Idea
Offered by Ayozen

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be better if it had an adjustable strap, 27 Nov. 2012
This does the job, but it has no means of adjusting the strap to fit, so if you're the wrong size you'll have to use a safety-pin or something.

House of Belonging
House of Belonging
by David Whyte

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes straight to the heart, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: House of Belonging (Paperback)
I read something from this collection of poems almost every day as a sort of grounding exercise. It helps me centre myself. The poems can be both challenging and comforting (which may seem strange, but Whyte holds you gently while encouraging you to look into your deeper self and to think about your place in the world). The words often seem to by-pass my brain and go straight to my heart. It may not be like this for everyone, but the subject matter - aloneness and belonging - has a particular resonance for me.

Cycles of a Traveler: True Tales of Voyage, Discovery and Synchronicity
Cycles of a Traveler: True Tales of Voyage, Discovery and Synchronicity
by Joe Diomede

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a travelogue, 3 Jun. 2011
This book hits so many spots, it's hard to know where to start with a review. On the face of it, this is a travelogue, but it's no ordinary travelogue. It's a coming of age story and an inspirational book that demonstrates how you can live a good life by ignoring conventional wisdom and following your heart, getting "in the groove" and trusting in providence, destiny or the wisdom of the universe to lead you where you need to go. It leads Joe into some strange places and interesting situations. On the way, he encounters and ponders upon poverty, injustice, compassion, generosity, the power of a human smile, the power of human endurance, and much more.

Traveling with Joe, you see the world through his eyes, meet the people he meets along the way, face his demons with him and share his achievements. You witness the growth in his understanding as he matures from a fresh-faced 21-year-old eager to explore the world to a 30-something husband and father who's comfortable with who he is and secure in his life choices. Along the way, you learn quite a lot about life and how it should be lived, what it means to be human, how beautiful the world is, how much all humans have in common and how much injustice is patiently endured.

Given what I've just written, you might be forgiven for thinking that the book will be preachy and holier-than-thou. I can assure you it's not. The author does occasionally get on his soapbox, but he's written the book in a very matter-of-fact story-telling style. Yes, there's philosophising, but there's also humour and suspense and true grit. And the overriding theme is Joe's great spirit of adventure. The book doesn't pretend to be a model for how other people should live their lives - it's just Joe sharing his own experiences. Having said that, I think anyone would find it an inspiring read.

WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Unobtrusive little number, 22 Mar. 2011
I've only had this for a few weeks, but the drive integrates seamlessly with my Mac and so far it's been working perfectly. It has lots of memory, all tucked into a sleek little box sitting unobtrusively on my desk. And it makes very little sound - just an occasional low grumbling when it's updating my back-ups.

Assault on the Gods (Venture SF Books)
Assault on the Gods (Venture SF Books)
by Stephen Goldin

4.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent heroine, 6 Nov. 2009
This is what I'd call a 'ripping yarn'. It has a fast-moving plot, lots of action and, best of all, a rational heroine who uses her wits rather than relying on dumb luck to see her through.

The Dwellers Beneath
The Dwellers Beneath
by Mary Arrigan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced adventure, 6 July 2009
This review is from: The Dwellers Beneath (Paperback)
A bunch of kids find themselves in the grips of a fundamentalist sect who have been hiding from modern life for generations. They must use their wits to escape the sinister underground world and the plans the sect leaders have for them. It's an exciting read.