Profile for Decca > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Power of the Moon
Power of the Moon
by Tina Carreiro

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, must have read a different book to these other reviews, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Power of the Moon (Paperback)
This book reads like a first novel (no idea if it is). The editing was a bit poor on occasion and the type is not blocked which really irritated me for some reason.
It is a standard vamp novel, personally I felt it lacked much of a plot and the heroine was ok but the hero was bland and had no charisma.

The heroine finds out vamps exist and this hardly seems to bother her and the to-ing and fro-ing with the hero was tiresome - one minute she fancies him, next she runs from him because she is scared he will bite her.
A leopard comes out of nowhere and nothing is made of this?!

It was ok but I wouldn't re-read it and I think there are much better writers of very similar material such as Cynthia Eden and DB Reynolds.

Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1)
Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good new author, please spread the word!, 12 Jan. 2012
I really like this new series of books from DB Reynolds, paranormal/urban fantasy romance.
The first
Raphael, is not by favourite, I really liked Rajmund and am part way through Duncan, who is my favourite character.

The only drawback is the price £11 is expensive but I assume that this is because it is a small US publisher.

The other reviews go into detail so I won't but other authors I really like include Lara Adrian, JR Ward, Cynthia Eden, so if you like those books, you should love DB Reynolds!

Never Cry Wolf (Night Watch Book 4)
Never Cry Wolf (Night Watch Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the earlier titles, 16 Aug. 2011
I only recently found Cythnia Eden and really enjoyed her series of books. I was looking forward to catching up with Lucas after his earlier appearance but I must admit to being slightly disappointed.

I felt that just about every page was Lucas getting angry "claws out", the occasional fight, coyotoes coming and going, but the action didn't really go any place. The antagonist was rather weak and the attempt at involving minor characters such as Piers and Dane just felt like an add on.

I also didn't really go for the chemistry, earlier books were much better. There are a few cameos from earlier book characters such as Maya and Brody (my least 2 favourites) but this didn't add much to the story.

I did enjoy the book but it was not a compulive read for me.

If you enjoy this series, try Nalini Singhs Psy series, very similar for the shifters.

Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters)
Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters)
by Suzanne Brockmann

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably the last Brockmann book I will buy, 11 April 2011
I discovered Suz Brockmann when she had written her second TS book and I was hooked. I totally fell in love with the team, especially Sam and Wildcard. She had these wonderful heroic hunky men but still with vulnerabilities, she wrote with such chemistry and passion. All the good points of her writing have been reducing as the series has gone by and the last book, her last TS book for a while, is the dealbreaker for me. I am struggling to even finish it.

Her talent in writing characters such as turning Ken into a heroic alpha lead was brilliant, but as she turned to writing about more "ordinary" men, she got on her politically correct hat and lost the humour. Every character must have some flaw, every family has alcholic/druggie/domestic abuse/gay in it and this now overwhelms the story. I honestly don't care if the hero/heroine are black/white/red (I read werewolf romances, FGS) but she throws everything into the pot, deaf/black/asian/abused/GAY - I highlight this last one because SB is well known for her agenda on this point - in earlier books, with Jules, it was fine as she wrote Jules so well, I didn't care if his HEA was another man, I just loved the character. But in this latest book, Ben aged 15 uses "I'm gay" in every blinking speech! Nor is he written/speaks as a 15 yo boy.

The whole book is angsty discussions between Dan/Jenn and Izzy/Eden - nothing happens, the plot and action is negligible. The remainder of the well known characters are hardly touched upon. The conflict between Izzy and Eden is so contrived ("trust") that the book could have been wound up in a single conversation.

Most readers love these books (well, the earlier ones) for the SEALS doing what they do best - going out and saving the world. We don't want endless theories about their feelings, we want action! I really wish SB would read some of her review becase nearly everyone likes her earlier books best, such as Over the Edge. Why can she not return to such plots?

Who cares about the Daves and Dans of this world when we can have Sams and Stans?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 10:13 AM BST

Frostfire (Kyndred Novel)
Frostfire (Kyndred Novel)
by Lynn Viehl

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, where is the romance?, 7 April 2011
I have read all the Darkyn and Kyndred books at least twice and I think this latest one is a weak link. Ms Viehl books have sometimes been a bit hit or miss but having really enjoyed her last Kyndred novel, I would say Frostfire is a miss.

The other reviews plot the story so I would simply say the weakness is in the "hero" - he is totally characterless, barely says a few sentences then within hours/days? the heroine is totally in love with him. We don't even have much of a physical description ourselves to identify why she does this. There is no chemistry or attraction, the scene where they first "do it", to put it politely, could have been written by a teenager in a biology lesson - insert A into B etc.

It is also immensely confusing as said in the other reviews. Who the hero turns out to be is meaningless if you have not read Darkyn books and even then, as he is so characterless, it does not tie in at all with the earlier story. And how he is turned/not turned is not revealed at all.

Ms Viehl broadens from vampires into werewolves with this novel but again, I was unsure for the heroines background - who exactly bit her?

Their powers were also unexplained - she talks to animals (and human minds) yet the descriptions between them often refers to heat and then his ice cold (the Frostfire of the title presumably) but this is again, never explained.

There is a lot in this relatively small book but too confusing to be enjoyed. Maybe it will make more sense of a second reading but a really good book should pull the reader back a second time to appreciate the layers, not to simply understand what went on in the first place.

No Mercy
No Mercy
by Sherrilyn Kenyon

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, average, average, 25 Sept. 2010
This review is from: No Mercy (Paperback)
As a long time fan of SK, this latest instalment is just that - another story in what is now a very long line of stories set in the DH world. Dev, a recurring character from Sanctuary takes centre stage. He is a bit funnier than some of the recent leads but the story is old hat, same old daimons, Stryker et al. Ash makes his usual cameo appearances, there are a new class of baddie introduced. Nothing really happens, I would be hard pressed to distinguish this book from any of her last 6 books or so. A brilliant series, now past its peak. Readable only because of my fondness for the world and my wanting to see Nicks story pan out.
Read it but don't expect fireworks.

Sin Undone: Number 5 in series (Demonica Novels)
Sin Undone: Number 5 in series (Demonica Novels)
by Larissa Ione

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love these books, 12 Sept. 2010
This is the fifth and final novel in Ione's series (although she is doing a follow on related series next). The best thing about Iones books are the men - alpha, flawed, funny, masculine, I could go on and on. Could Ione do the same with a female lead, given that she is a sex demon and women who sleep around are much harder to make symphathetic heroines than the men (double standards, I know).
But she did.

Sin was strong, sassy, in-your-face, take no prisoners, "give me sex now" type but Ione makes her still vulnerable and believable (as much as a half demon can be!). She had a good match in Con, maybe not the strongest of hero's but following the 4 brothers, this was always going to be a hard act to follow.

All the brothers appear, Wraith funny as always, E the stalwart, I adore them all.
I would liken these books very much to Sherrily Kenyon (but better written) and J R Wards BDB books (but a bit funnier and not so dark).

READ THEM ALL!

Elfland (Tor Fantasy)
Elfland (Tor Fantasy)
by Freda Warrington

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as I expected, 12 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Elfland (Tor Fantasy) (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of both fantasy and paranormal romance, and having read Warringtons Blackbird series 20 years ago as a teenager, this new book seemed to cover both bases. But although it was an adequate and, at times, interesting read I wouldn't describe as enough to be a fantasy nor enough to be a romance, I would rather describe it as a family saga type book.
Most of the book is the day to day and year to year lives of 2 families, who have otherworld roots but there is little of this in their day to day lifes. The couple of interactions with their other world are quite limited and not very "fantasy", more dreamlike.
As a romance, I was disappointed - to me, a good romance needs chemistry and a good male lead and Sam was rather disappointing, as was Rosie and no matter the circumstances, that they had an affair just is not romantic to me.
Warringtons style or writing will not be to everyones tastes but I would suggest try it and see.

Bonds of Justice
Bonds of Justice
by Nalini Singh

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 31 July 2010
I enjoyed this book but not as much as some of the others, primarily because the lead is human (not a psy or changeling) and I felt he was just a bit too bland, and did not have the depth to him that the other races have. Also, it was following her previous book which was also about a human.
The female was also very similar to other psy female leads. I also thought it a bit unrealistic that the changeling Dark Rivers were so prominently involved in a humans affairs, a bit contrived to meet the existing characters.
I look forward to seeing some more psy men, personally I think these are the most interesting.

Pursuit
Pursuit
by Karen Robards

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably the last Karen Robards book I will buy, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Pursuit (Paperback)
I am a long standing fan of Karen Robards, she has always managed to write lighthearted, funny, romantic stories with hunky men and good storylines. But after so many entertaining reads, her books in the last few years have been below par and I think she has run out of steam.
This book, about the survivor of a car crash which killed the US First Lady who goes on the run with a secret service agent protecting her, was very run-of-the-mill, with no chemistry between the leads and little humour. I ended up missing a section in the middle because I was bored.
But please don't let you put this off her earlier works, well worth reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3