Profile for Jon D > Reviews

Content by Jon D

Jon D "Jon in France" (South Vendée, France)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
One Hundred and Four Horses
One Hundred and Four Horses
by Mandy Retzlaff

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written tale of love and loss, 21 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not normally a lover of biographies but this book is so well written that it caught me in its trap.

I love horses, but this story is not just about horses, it is about family, and political turmoil.

Highly recommended.

The Chaperone
The Chaperone
by Laura Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and well researched, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Chaperone (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent book, well written and well researched. It had just enough pace to take you through the story, dropping in bits of information as you go along, without rushing you.

Set in a glamorous era of American history it shows both the highs and lows of society at that time.

All in all highly recommended and I will definitely look out for more from Ms Moriarty.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Storyteller (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jodi Picoult's books are always popular in this house, but this is in another league. Partly set in the modern day and partly during the second world war The Story Teller weaves the tale between the two times, adding in a third fiction along the way. Whilst it deals with the holocaust in a sensitive way, unlike other books, it accepts that not all Germans were all bad, and not all Jews were all good. Brilliantly written.

Hitler's Angel
Hitler's Angel
by William Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out well, but fizzled out a bit at the end, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: Hitler's Angel (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hitler's Angels was certainly interesting interesting subject matter, so interesting to young teens in fact that both my daughter and god-daughter read this before I could get my hands on it.

The story starts well and flows at a good pace, but is rather unbelievable at times (but I suppose most action adventures are). The real concern is towards the end where things weren't really fully explained. Both my girls got to the end and said "I don't get it" and on reading the book I found I couldn't fully explain either.

A good read, but I can't give it more than 3 stars.

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than Me before You, 24 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first part of this novel, set in 1916 had me gripped with its tale of occupied France. So much so that I was disappointed when the story returned to the present day. The disappointment didn't last long however, especially once the tales started to intertwine.

I have read Me before you, which I would class as chick-lit with a punch. With The Girl You Left Behind I feel that Jojo Moyes is starting to leave the chick-lit label behind and enter into a more serious style of writing.

I will definitely look out for more by the same author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2012 5:51 PM BST

Mistaken
Mistaken
by Neil Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK - Nothing Special, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Mistaken (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mistaken has a potentially interesting plot, but it doesn't really deliver. It is an OK read, nothing special. The ending is not really unexpected and the writing not quite good enough to carry it off.

The Crying Tree
The Crying Tree
by Naseem Rakha

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read - but not as deep and meaningful as it ought to be., 26 July 2012
This review is from: The Crying Tree (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Others have already described the story so I won't bother going into details. Unlike others I didn't find the short chapters and the shifting time frames a problem.

I don't feel however that the book touched on the subject matter as deeply as it could have. I expected this book to make me think, to stay with me and cause me to reflect on my opinions. It didn't live up to those expectations which is why i only gave 3 stars. I like the writing though so it wouldn't put me off trying another book from the same author.

Doodle On!: Christmas Doodles
Doodle On!: Christmas Doodles
by Smriti Prasadam-Halls

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the cover price, 4 Dec 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the title of christmas doodles I was expecting a book of drawing activities, dot to dot and such like, for the children to amuse themselves with. Instead it is a book of have completed pictures which require considerable artistic input (presumably parental) if they are to be of any value at all. Not something children can use to amuse themselves and certainly won't drag them away from their nintendos.

The Piano Teacher
The Piano Teacher
by Janice Y. K. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant read, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Piano Teacher (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The piano teacher is a nice easy read book. Whilst it isn't exactly a taxing book it does cover two interesting periods of Hong Kong history and as such would make for a good book club discussion.

I felt I couldn't relate to any of the three main characters. Claire is a little dull and naive, having married because it was what one did, she finds herself in Hong Kong because her civil service husband is posted there. She becomes involved with Will, who is a long term resident with a hazy past, though I'm not quite sure what he sees in her. There are flash backs to Will's relationship with Trudy, an altogether more firey character, during the early 1940's. The flash backs cover the time of the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, with the internment of certain residents, and the colloboration of others. I felt the book would have been better if it had concentrated soley on this more interesting period and its more interesting characters rather than basing it in the 1950's.

It is the sort of book a prolific reader might be happy with to while away a few hours, but if you only read a few books a year then don't spend your time on this.

The Thing Around Your Neck
The Thing Around Your Neck
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended collection of short stories, 1 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun I was greatly looking forward to this collection, and it didn't disappoint.

Although there is a clear thread running through the collection, of Nigerian women with inner strength, they are very definately different stories. Some set in Nigeria, some in America, some featuring rich women, others poor. What shines through the whole collection though is Chimamanda's talent for story telling. One can almost see the colours, smell the smells. Wonderful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4