Profile for Jon D > Reviews

Content by Jon D

Jon D "Jon in France" (South Vendée, France)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Mio's Kingdom
Mio's Kingdom
by Astrid Lindgren

3.0 out of 5 stars I quite enjoyed the bit we read together, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mio's Kingdom (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This didn't capture the imagination of my 7 year old daughter, but I may try again once she is a little older. I'm not sure if it is because the book is a little old fashioned or simply that it wasn't the right time for her. I quite enjoyed the bit we read together, but not enough to finish it without her.

Fire City
Fire City
by Bali Rai

3.0 out of 5 stars Better for older teens, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fire City (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My teenage daughter read this, but wasn't overly impressed. The descriptive scenes were quite graphic and she felt that it would be better aimed at older teenagers. A poor copy of mortal instruments. I haven't come across any of the authors other work so I can't comment on whether it is up to their usual standard.

Friends and Rivals
Friends and Rivals
by Tilly Bagshawe

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard chick lit - no surprises., 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Friends and Rivals (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mrs D read this on a trans-atlantic flight. It kept her happily amused for the journey, but two weeks later when asked what it was about she was incapable of remembering without looking back at the book. Standard chick lit fare, perfectly readable but decidedly unmemorable.

Breathe
Breathe
by Sarah Crossan

5.0 out of 5 stars This is her favourite genre - YA distopian novels - and this is ..., 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Breathe (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Read by my 15 year old daughter. This is her favourite genre - YA distopian novels - and this is one of the better examples currently out there. She found it to be a believable concept, well written and with a satisfactory ending.

The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths
The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths
by John Gray

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 1 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A curiously disjointed book that completely failed to grab my attention. I found it very difficult to read and couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. Very unusual for me.

One Hundred and Four Horses
One Hundred and Four Horses
by Mandy Retzlaff

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written tale of love and loss, 21 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not normally a lover of biographies but this book is so well written that it caught me in its trap.

I love horses, but this story is not just about horses, it is about family, and political turmoil.

Highly recommended.

The Chaperone
The Chaperone
by Laura Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and well researched, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Chaperone (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent book, well written and well researched. It had just enough pace to take you through the story, dropping in bits of information as you go along, without rushing you.

Set in a glamorous era of American history it shows both the highs and lows of society at that time.

All in all highly recommended and I will definitely look out for more from Ms Moriarty.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Storyteller (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jodi Picoult's books are always popular in this house, but this is in another league. Partly set in the modern day and partly during the second world war The Story Teller weaves the tale between the two times, adding in a third fiction along the way. Whilst it deals with the holocaust in a sensitive way, unlike other books, it accepts that not all Germans were all bad, and not all Jews were all good. Brilliantly written.

Hitler's Angel
Hitler's Angel
by William Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out well, but fizzled out a bit at the end, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Hitler's Angel (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hitler's Angels was certainly interesting interesting subject matter, so interesting to young teens in fact that both my daughter and god-daughter read this before I could get my hands on it.

The story starts well and flows at a good pace, but is rather unbelievable at times (but I suppose most action adventures are). The real concern is towards the end where things weren't really fully explained. Both my girls got to the end and said "I don't get it" and on reading the book I found I couldn't fully explain either.

A good read, but I can't give it more than 3 stars.

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than Me before You, 24 Aug. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first part of this novel, set in 1916 had me gripped with its tale of occupied France. So much so that I was disappointed when the story returned to the present day. The disappointment didn't last long however, especially once the tales started to intertwine.

I have read Me before you, which I would class as chick-lit with a punch. With The Girl You Left Behind I feel that Jojo Moyes is starting to leave the chick-lit label behind and enter into a more serious style of writing.

I will definitely look out for more by the same author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2012 5:51 PM BST