Profile for Emmster > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 625

Emmster (Hampshire, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-29
Information Cloud: Science fiction and fantasy series (Tales of Cinnamon City Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good opening tale to the series..., 13 Jan. 2013
This book is a military(ish) Sci-Fi romp with plenty of action involving interestingly futuristic hardware ideas. Force-fields, proton/plasma guns, oddly designed personnel carriers and highly sophisticated robots all feature heavily. A concept called the information cloud is also introduced; I found the total immersion experience it gives the user to be an intriguing idea.

Two major viewpoints are played out in the narrative and, as you would expect, they are from very different sides of the tracks: one a respected military commander and the other a low-life hacker; the central protagonist being the military commander.

I found the first few (10) pages of the book quite difficult to get through - the prose seemed quite dense because there was a lot of up-front explanation. However, once the action got underway I got into the story and it carried me along until the final page. I'm not sure I agree with some of the other reviews that say this book is trying to "include" or "do" too much. I think that multiple threads (only really two!) and lots of ideas thrown in make for a more gripping and interesting tale respectively.

By the end of the novel, what is initially setup as a goodies vs. baddies conflict has descended into the far more realistic scenario where discerning good from bad is virtually impossible and it's pretty obvious that there's some very shady dealings going on behind the scenes.

I was a little surprised when the book ended because some things aren't tied off as neatly as I'd have hoped. However, as this is the first in a series I'm guessing the next installment will pick up almost exactly where this leaves off.

All in all a fun, action-packed first installment that gets going quickly and doesn't stop for breath until the last page.

Canton Tea Black Tea Taster Pack
Canton Tea Black Tea Taster Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Tea for one..., 6 Jan. 2013
I wanted to try a few different leaf teas, I didn't want loads of any one tea - just in case I didn't like it/them.

This was just the job; each sachet made approximately two cups of tea (but you could squeeze another out of each if you like it weak). Each tea was significantly distinct in taste from the others - making it a worthwhile little package if you're experimenting to find what you might like.

All in all I'd recommend it if you're looking to expand your [tea] horizons but don't yet want to commit money on a large amount of any particular leaf.

Rapid Cables 5m 90deg to Straight Jack Guitar Lead Blue Cable Mono 1/4" 6.35mm Right Angle
Offered by Rapid Cables

4.0 out of 5 stars All good...just my playing that needs work..., 6 Jan. 2013
A good cable, as shown in the piccy (it was blue) the jacks were as stated as was the length. I plugged it in, it worked. I'd love to say that the atrocious noise that came from my guitar was the result of bad signal transmission...but sadly, that's just the way I play.

4 stars because I just can't give an "I Love It" rating to something as functional as a guitar lead - but I'd heartily recommend this one to anyone "in the market".

DBM Italian Leather Guitar Strap: Dark Brown 'Ultra Soft' Strap (Up to 1.3m) for Electric / Acoustic / Bass Guitar
Offered by Dangleberry Music

5.0 out of 5 stars mmmm....leather..., 6 Jan. 2013
A very nice guitar strap in genuine leather. I use mine for my Epiphone Dot six string and Hofner Violin bass - it performs perfectly for both.

It has some adjustment for length, it sits really well on the shoulder (the leather is nice and soft so that it moulds itself to your body-shape) and it's excellently non-slip.

All in all - a lovely purchase and i'll be buying another.

Technote Universal A - Frame Style Guitar Stand for Acoustic and Electric Guitars

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money..., 6 Nov. 2012
I use this stand for my Fender Concorde - it fits really well. Where the back of the guitar sits on the stand could be just a little more rubbery - but it's easy enough to put a little foam tape there to stop rubbing.

The construction is metallic, with rubber feet, my guitar is 12cm deep and it fits fine.

Definitely recommended for the price.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Smelly trees..., 6 Nov. 2012
...says it all I think. I've only used the vanilla one so far, and can say that the smell was very very strong for the first day, tapered of over the next and by the third was "pleasantly background". All in all a good buy.

Draper 09550 31 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set
Draper 09550 31 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't argue - for the money..., 6 Nov. 2012
A great little set for not much money. I do a lot of fiddling around with electronics (computers/mice etc) that generally have very small screws. So far this set has been fine. I've never had to apply large amounts of force - so couldn't comment on how the heads stand up to rough treatment.

The heads sit firmly in their slots on the case - meaning you can chuck the box around without them flying all over the show, the case has a couple of plastic tabs that hold it closed and if i'm any judge of a plastic tab at all - i'm going to need an elastic band to hold it shut before long.

All in all, I'm happy with it *for what i'm using it for*...light use of the screw heads.

The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector Book 2)
The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another corker from Chris Holm..., 7 Oct. 2012
I enjoyed this one every bit as much as the first (Dead Harvest). I think Chris Holm has created a great character in Sam Thornton, and gives more of the same world-weary, intelligent sleuthing from hell's most troublesome soul collector.

There's a swathe of new characters that stretch from happy-go-lucky Chicago gangster (recently collected) to nightmare-creature-from-your-wildest-nightmares. There's detailed description of how the denizens of hell spend their spare time and the merest sniff of a way out for those consigned to an eternity of soul collection.

If you've read and enjoyed Dead Harvest then don't hesitate - this is more of the same good stuff.

If you like the sound of strange, supernatural, noir'y (?) type fiction - then give this or Dead Harvest a bash.

On a secondary note: the cover image is incorrect (as of 8-Oct-2012) - I've uploaded a copy of the cover as taken from the Angry Robot website; it's their image, I make not claim that it is my own.
The only reason for doing it is that the covers are great and it's a shame to hide them away (or not show the correct one).
Comment Comment | Permalink

AKORD USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter
AKORD USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter
Offered by fortunemart-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and does the job..., 26 Sept. 2012
Like a lot of people - I bought this to connect a keyboard to my 7" tablet. It's all good: it works properly, the price was good and it was delivered within a couple of days at the cheapest shipping rate (from POWERPLUS).

The reason its a four star review is because five stars should be for "I love it" products, and I just can't get any more excited than "I like it" (four stars) over a usb converter.

I'd definitely recommend it though.

Holes
Holes
by Louis Sachar

5.0 out of 5 stars Really entertaining little tale..., 23 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
I read this in about three sittings whilst on a train to/from London. It is a deceptively simple tale of a young man, attending a wilderness "camp" in lieu of a prison sentence.
The "holes" of the title are 5 feet in diameter and five feet deep and one must be dug, in the bed of a dried up lake, by each resident of the camp.

It quickly becomes apparent that there is a lot more to the digging of the holes than the mere punishment/character-building of the camp's residents.

The central character is really well developed as the story progresses, there are two other stories (based on the main characters ancestors) that blend in with the central narrative, and the whole thing rattles along at a good pace. I don't think there was a single dull page in the entire book.

I thought it was a really well executed, well spun tale and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-29