Profile for Emmster > Reviews

Content by Emmster
Top Reviewer Ranking: 461

Emmster "the book wurme" (Hampshire, England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-26
Howard Leight Laser Lite soft foam earplugs - SNR 35db - 10 pairs
Howard Leight Laser Lite soft foam earplugs - SNR 35db - 10 pairs
Offered by Breathe and Sleep Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for band practice..., 11 Sep 2012
..and you would too if you had our guitarist. His amp really does go to 11.

Anyway - the 35db reduction was in the ball park that I wanted, as was the squidgy-foam-fit construction - because I know that, internally, my ears are slightly different shapes. I doubt I'm getting 35db reduction (as I'm not in the testing lab that produce such results) but then again, we're not playing stadium-loud.

They're cheap, mouldable, comfy and, for the price, I can't really fault them.

Dead Cells (The Dead Series Book 1)
Dead Cells (The Dead Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, good characters, gripping tale, just a couple of gripes..., 8 Sep 2012
Entirely set within a prison at the beginning of a zombie apocalypse, there's scope for a more-eclectic-than-usual band of survivors to battle their way to freedom. The setting is (by definition) claustrophobic and gave the novel a tension that gripped me throughout.

There are a good range of characters, all well written; the female doctor being particularly interesting. Again, given the setting, there is scope for some really nasty bad guys too.

My only criticisms are some basic syntactical mistakes (only a couple [that I spotted] and these don't bother me too much - but I know some of you burst blood vessels over misspelling) and in some places a tendency to wordiness in the descriptions. I think that both these things are criticisms to level more at the editor not the author.

Even with the gripes - this was a good read and I enjoyed it. If you like the genre and like the sound of survivors trying to bust out of a zombie infested prison - go for it.

Also, the author leaves scope for a sequel (which I think may have already been written).

Unfamiliar Country - A Short Story
Unfamiliar Country - A Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining 10 minutes..., 7 Sep 2012
A nice, dark little story about conscience and living with consequences of your actions.

Boyle the hit-man takes some r'and'r in the Welsh countryside after his latest job - but this one just won't lie down.

My only (constructive!) criticism would be that I found it a little heavy in the description. Still a very entertaining tale though.

Sanyo Eneloop Adapter Mignon (Aa) To Baby (C) Size
Sanyo Eneloop Adapter Mignon (Aa) To Baby (C) Size
Offered by MP Energie & Licht Groß- und Versandhandel

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking little gadget..., 4 Sep 2012
...because I've a shed-load of rechargeable AAs but no similar rechargeable C batteries, or a charger capable of charging them.

This is a genius idea - simply encase an AA battery in a sheath that bloats it to C size. The words of caution I would give are around the amount of charge that an AA can supply when compared to a genuine D battery. You will *probably* not get the same duration of performance. I combat this by always having lots of charged AA batteries and a small screwdriver to hand. But I'm not sure if all devices would work.

My son has some track-master trains that take C size cells and these work well. It'll definitely save me a wad of cash.

Really good little product.

P.S I ordered x3 and got them for £5.97 including postage (my order was from "nox divendo") - the pricing/quantities for these does seem to be all over the show. Be extra careful.

Machines of the Dead (A Zombie Apocalypse)
Machines of the Dead (A Zombie Apocalypse)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but I couldn't get along with the writing..., 30 Aug 2012
The plot was great: secret underground lair, army experimenting on humans, an escapee, a zombie plague. One man just won't lie down and be un-dead fodder; he's lost everything and so has nothing more to fear - it's time for some zombie-whuppin. What's not to like?

What wasn't so great for me was the amount of exposition and description; at times it felt like I was being spoon-fed every item of gear, every emotion being felt and every action being taken.
Here's an example:

"The need to use the bathroom was stronger now, and if it wasn't for his martial arts training, he didn't think he'd have the will to hold it in, or the ability to move silently like a panther."

Now, I'm not saying this is bad writing (I'm definitely not qualified to say) - it's just not my cup of tea in terms of prose style - it doesn't seem to leave much to my imagination. However, if this style is your bag - then you'll love it. The plot is quickly developed, the characters are quite an interesting bunch and the story barrels along at a goodly pace. I read it in a couple of sittings - it was pretty gripping.

I can't give this any more than a 3 star because I probably won't read any further into the series. But if you're using a kindle (if not get the kindle app) then read the sample - if you like the prose style - then go for it, the story is cracking.

Mockingbird (A Miriam Black Novel Book 2)
Mockingbird (A Miriam Black Novel Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another tale from the casebook of Miriam Black, 29 Aug 2012
Chuck W. has pulled of that most difficult of things: a sequel that is every bit as good as the original.

If you've not read Blackbirds: (Angry Robot): 1 then I'd say, even though this book stands perfectly well on it's own two feet, it would be better to read that first.

Mockingbird is a gritty urban-fantasy thriller stuffed with good characters, plot, violence, naughty language - the way only Chuck can do foul-mouthed - but very little sex.

The protagonist Miriam, jaded with the idea of settling down, ends up doing 'her psychic thing' for a friend of Louis who works at a school. What starts out as a simple job spirals horribly out of control after she inadvertently touches one of the pupils.

As previously - the character of Miriam is as uncompromising as a brick wall and twice as hard.

If you've already read and enjoyed Blackbirds - you'll not be disappointed. Mockingbird has got everything Blackbirds had: excellent characters, a rocket-propelled plot and plenty of action. But even more than that - this one is at least three shades darker on the colour chart.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes gritty urban-fantasy.

Sanyo eneloop adaptor (NCS-TG-D-2BP) mignon (AA) to mono (D) size AA-C adaptor from AA to D Sanyo
Offered by Shop von HEIBAS-Handyladen (Alle Preise inkl. Mwst.) - AGBs, Garantiebedingungen & Widerrufsbelehrung finden Sie unter Verkaeuferhilfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent concept and great for me..., 28 Aug 2012
...because I've a shed-load of rechargeable AAs - but no similar C/D batteries, or a charger capable of charging them.

This is a genius idea - simply encase an AA battery in a sheath that bloats it to D size. The words of caution I would give are around the amount of charge that an AA can supply when compared to a genuine D battery. You will *probably* not get the same duration of performance. I combat this by always having lots of charged AA batteries and a small screwdriver to hand.

My son has just got some track-master trains that take C size cells, so I'll definitely be getting a few of those size adapters too.

Really good little product.

Hidden Things
Hidden Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, thought-provoking and (to my mind) quite deep, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Hidden Things (Kindle Edition)
This is difficult novel to categorise - part mystery, thriller, fantasy... there's a lot going on. The protagonist - Calliope Jenkins is a skiptracer and has something of a colourful past. The book starts with the death of her boss (her best friend and previously her lover) and quickly becomes a quest to find him or what has happened to him. She is assisted in the process by her guide - the 'clown' Vikous. Along the way her eyes are opened to the truth of the 'hidden things' and how perhaps she could get her boss back.

The Calliope character is massive, and her guide is equally well drawn. The way they play off each other in the first few chapters is great. The journey they take truly is fantastical and filled with weird and not-so-wonderful characters.

The final chapters were great in the way they explain a lot of the hinted-at problems faced by Calliope in her past and built the tension for the final scenes.

A great read - I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Dead Things
Dead Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent example of the genre..., 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
I've been reading a lot of zombie apocalypse fiction over the last month or so - this is definitely one of the best to-date.

The story is set 17ish years after a terrible plague zombified much of the USA. The church has taken charge of the governance of the survivors and rules with an iron fist. Science is reviled, free thinking isn't tolerated, and a kind of National Service has been enforced so that everyone takes a turn at the border between safe territory and the zombie infested wilderness.

The characterisations are pretty strong, and the plot gets under way quite quickly. There's a really tense build up to the moment of first zombie contact and I really got immersed into the struggle for survival.

An excellent piece of writing all round. Definitely recommended if you like the genre.

Double Dead
Double Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars double good..., 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Double Dead (Kindle Edition)
Another solid horse from the Wendig stable. Double Dead charts the voyage of Coburn (a recently revived vampire) and his food supply (a small band of human survivors) as they travel through the ravaged wasteland of post-zombie-apocalypse America.

There were a few things that stood out for me in this novel:

1. The concept of a vampire having a severely limited food supply (he can't suck zombie blood) and thus needs to effectively manage his human herd to maintain a steady supply.

2. The vampire being limited physically by the amount of blood he's drunk. Blood is a sort of "nitro injection" for him; he can store it in his body and use it on-demand to move fast and hit hard - but it's not unlimited and he can be surprised. In essence, he is a lot more vulnerable than vampires are in most other fiction.

3. The protagonist is essentially a vicious b@stard. Really, he's not very nice, and most readers will probably hate his guts - cheering at every arse-kicking that comes his way.

The plot is nothing outrageous for the genre: survivors have to get from here to there (no spoilers as to why!), battle zombies on the way, zombies are bad - but look at what the humans are now doing to each other blah blah blah. All good fun. The human characters are what you'd expect - a rag-tag mix of personalities just trying to get by. There's plenty of gore, plenty of violence and the usual word-filth you'd expect from the mind of Chuck W.

Loved it from page 1.