Profile for Jim > Reviews

Polti Vaporella Forever 980 Focus Steam Generator Iron
Polti Vaporella Forever 980 Focus Steam Generator Iron
Offered by Bright Sparks Store

3.0 out of 5 stars What a racket!, 28 Feb. 2014
Firstly, I've only ever had Polti irons and I must have gone through eight by now. They only seem to work for a couple of years and I am wondering if this is normal for steam generator irons - whichever the make.
I've learnt that it is not really cost effective to have them over-hauled as they don't seem as new again - better just to buy another.

My previous Polti's relied on waiting until the iron cooled down (inconvenient!) before being able to unscrew the cap and refill - then wait for it to heat up again. Therefore, I was pleased to see this Forever 980 with the fill anytime reservoir. I've just started using this iron (previous iron started spitting lots of water making ironing board wet) so my comments are on first impressions and not long term usage.

Firstly, I certainly would not have been happy paying this advertised price for now experiencing its performance - as I purchased it for around £70.

The 980 certainly delivers powerful shots of steam and does what it's supposed to do - iron effortlessly. However, a real irritation is the noise it makes - what a racket! Every now and then, when the water in the generator runs out, the pump starts up to transfer water across from the reservoir. When this first happened it shook me as it was so loud - like a wild dog baring its teeth and growling. This occurs, say, after ironing one or two shirts hence why I have only awarded the iron three stars.
Sometimes I am on a hands free 'phone whilst ironing and a the normal question from the other end, when the pump fires up, is "what on earth is that noise!"
I don't know what an earlier review was about regarding the plug - I just took it out of the box and plugged the iron in.

All in all, I think I would prefer the previous Polti irons - even though they were inconvenient for refilling. At least the ironing was just producing a peaceful hiss as opposed to the 980's stressful, intermittent growl. You have been warned!

Cramer 5-Fugi Kit
Cramer 5-Fugi Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Cramer 5-Fugi Kit (DIY & Tools)
I'm a reasonably competent d-i-y-er but I never seemed very good at sealing around sinks, baths, etc., with wet fingers - getting through rolls of kitchen tissue, wasting sealant and having to go over the work (though never feeling very satisfied with the end result).

This Fugi kit fits the bill and produces a neat result.
I had already purchased something similar from one of the two stores all across the country for around half the price but, as usual, I couldn't find it amongst all my tools when I came to need it.
So now I have two sets of kit for the same job! I don't know if they perform to a similar level but, anyway, I don't regret buying the Fuji as I especially like the two attachments which guide you across any gaps in the vertical splash-back tiles.

The only trouble I did experience is drawing a smooth, uninterrupted run when there are two taps in the way. The tool is too wide which means stopping one side of the tap and continuing on the other side - unless I don't have the knack and I am not doing it correctly. (I hope my explanation makes sense.)
Perhaps, the manufactures could see a need and produce single profiles put on a narrower, longer tool to overcome tight spaces.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2016 1:43 PM BST

CE HIGH OUTPUT 2.1A FAST MAINS CHARGER For Samsung Galaxy Tablet GT-P5101,GT-P5100,GT-P5113,GT-P5110,GT-P7510,GT-P7500,GT-P6810,GT-P1000,GT-P1010,GT-P1100,GT-P3113,GT-P3110,GT-3100,GT-P6200,GT-N8000,GT-N8010,GT-N-8013,GT-P7300,TAB 2 7"inch, TAB 2 10.1" inch, Tab 8.9"
Offered by Quality Product Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Jan. 2014
No problems - good value. (I tripped over my original Samsung charger and broke it. I was then forced to charge from the USB and it took a while for me to realise I needed a high ouput charger; and this does the trick.)

Fast delivery - thank you.

New 16PC Watch Repair Tools Kit
New 16PC Watch Repair Tools Kit
Offered by EAZY BREATHE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 Jan. 2014
I only wanted this to obtain the tool to unscrew the back of my watches, as I was fed up paying around £10 for somebody to perform a five minute job.
You get so much kit for such a small amount of money - unbelievable (and no postage either)!

Also, a very prompt delivery - thank you.

Hannspree SN1AT7 10.1-inch Tablet (Black/Silver) - (ARM Cortex A5 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Integrated Graphics, Android 4.1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sent back, 25 Jan. 2014
I don't know how to rate this item as, initially, I was very pleased with it. I purchased it just before Xmas and it seemed to be a good deal - £150 over four payments, a folding stand and a year's free Panda security. I already own an aging 7" Samsung Tab but my eyes pleaded with me to get something larger and easier to view. Also, my Samsung doesn't multi-task so the specs of the Hannspree (for the price) seemed ideal.

I went out and purchased a protective sleeve as I felt I was that happy enough to keep it. However, (alas), within three weeks, it refused to power on. It amazes me how gremlins can get into the guts of electronics over-night! One day the gizmo works... the next day, it doesn't!

I contacted Hannspree and they suggested I should try charging it from the USB port but this did not work. Returning it direct to Hannspree could have resulted in a 28 day turnaround. As the return period had been extended to around the 17th Jan. by the retailer (for gifts over the Xmas period), I elected to return it to the retailer and request a refund --- which proved quick and painless. I did not request a replacement as they did not have any more in stock and, besides, I had sort of lost confidence in the product - despite it's two year warranty.

I was thinking of the Hannspree 13.3" but I was put off with some poor reports.

I saw the 10.1" being advertised again today (more stocks in!) and I was tempted to try my luck again. However, I would think I would really like a 12"+ tablet (as I would not be transporting it around) so I shall wait a while as I believe there will be more of these sizes from various makes coming onto the market later this year.

Maybe, I have just been unlucky so I have given the benefit of doubt and awarded three stars. (After all, I was very happy at first!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 6:50 PM GMT

Vitrex LASH Floor Tile Levelling Spacers - 30 Pack
Vitrex LASH Floor Tile Levelling Spacers - 30 Pack
Offered by Transtools

4.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 16 Sept. 2013
I'm really delighted with this cleaver invention. I'm not a tradesman - just an ordinary diy-er and I found this product very handy over the weekend.
However, a couple of points:-

a) I purchased two bags (each 30) thinking this would be plenty for a 3 metres square porch. So far I've laid six oblong floor tiles (some cut) and I've already got through one bag of 30! So, if you're tempted to buy - buy plently!
b) As the wedges are re-usable I don't understand why you cannot buy just the spacers (and so get more spacers in the bag for the same price).
c) I was worried that "kicking off" the spacers would be troublesome but they break off so easily - just as described.
d) As the other review mentioned, you have to lay quite a thick bed to accommodate the spacers and they can be troublesome if you don't. I would like to see something more suitable for a thinner bed - especially for using on wall tiles.

The proof of any product is "would you buy it again?" and the answer is "yes!". Now, I don't think I'd tackle tiling without them.

I shall order another couple of packets, soon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2013 10:59 PM BST

Dandy Pro Paint Brush and Roller Cleaner
Dandy Pro Paint Brush and Roller Cleaner
Offered by Handy Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Excellent, 14 May 2013
I've deleted my original review giving a 4 star and now upgraded the Dandy to a 5 star.

I initially had a few issues with the Dandy but (hold hands up) this was all down to me! Being a bloke, I half-heartedly read the instructions and initially wasn't aware of the excellent videos on the inventor's web-site (a must see!)

If you buy the Dandy then I would recommend:-
a) Use wooden handle brushes - these don't flex.
b) Put the drill on a low speed and gradually experiment for a higher speed.
c) Most, most, most definately, take the time to look at the excellent web-site showing videos and tips. It's also very informative and inspirational on how the Dandy was born.

I'd give the Dandy a "thumps-up" to anyone thinking of purchasing this product as, all in all, I'm delighted with it. Also, I am exceedingly happy with the exceptional support I received from the inventor, via e-mails - he's such a lovely gentleman (perhaps, a rarity, these days!?); he's patient and genuinely wishing to support you and give advice on using your Dandy. Nothing was too much trouble for him - he politely responded to all e-mails quickly. I get the impression that he'd be most upset that you'd purchased his product and wasn't getting the best out of it.
I am now using my Dandy as it was intended.

The Dandy is not a "gadget" that is going to langish in your tool box with a label on it saying... "well, it seemed a good buy, at the time" (I have many of such gadgets). The Dandy is a genuine tool that will see much use.

Buy it!

2013 Legend Men Wall Calendar
2013 Legend Men Wall Calendar
by Big Daddy
Edition: Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully, it re-lit memories of her younger days..., 30 April 2013
I purchased this as a gift for a 67 year old lady friend. She wanted a simple calendar but, being impish, I ordered this for her. Naturally, she has to hide it under the floorboards in her bedroom to avoid her very young grand-children being traumatised by it but, hopefully, when alone... she could peep at the images and sigh... and, then smile.

Master Class Stainless Steel Triple Hard and Soft Boiled Egg Timer / Sand Timer
Master Class Stainless Steel Triple Hard and Soft Boiled Egg Timer / Sand Timer

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, I guess., 30 April 2013
I purchased this as a gift for my sister as she couldn't find something similar in the shops.
I believe she's okay with it. My observation is that the glasses are not perfectly vertical - not a big deal but an irritation.

Tube squeezer with holder - keeps tube wound up - 66mm version
Tube squeezer with holder - keeps tube wound up - 66mm version
Offered by iAuctionShop Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 30 April 2013
As a 62 year old man, not many things excite one, nowadays.
But, but, but...this thingy, did! (sad, eh?)
I've purchased six, now... to give away to friends, etc., (I'm sure I'll end up buying more.)
Of course, I use one for the toothpaste but others I keep in the fridge to "control" the Primula cheeses.
Gone are the days of squeeeeezzzzing tubes and experiencing low-level irritation/frustration.

Page: 1 | 2