Profile for E. Jones > Reviews

Content by E. Jones

E. Jones

Blue Skies and Black Olives: A Survivor's Tale of Housebuilding and Peacock Chasing in Greece
by John Humphrys

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!, 19 Sep 2009
This is one of those books you just don't want to put down. I loved the contrast between the famously grumpy old man that is John Humphrys and his evidently chilled out son Christopher. It's so much more than just the story of building a house in Greece - although that in itself proves hilarious. Christopher offers an insight into Greece and its traditions that can only come from someone who has clearly immersed himself fully in the culture. This isn't just another 'celebrity' telling a story, it's an entertaining take on life in a country I knew little about (there's some really interesting historical stuff too). It takes a lot for me to chuckle while reading a book, but the peacock chapter had me literally laughing out loud. Whether or not you're a fan of Mr Humphrys, this is a top book - I'll be buying it for my friends this Christmas!