Profile for Valkyrja > Reviews

Tuesdays With Morrie: An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson
Tuesdays With Morrie: An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson
by Mitch Albom

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on you - try it out, it can't hurt : ), 13 Sep 2007
I was reccommended this book by a good friend, when I was going through a very hard time in my life. My friend was totally overwhelmed by how wonderful and life changing this book is. I read it, and thought "duh". Cute and good thoughts, but I didn't think this was very special. BUT I still am a reader that gets very engulfed into reading, and often have a lot of cries, laughs and thrilling times when reading : ) And I also enjoy stuff that makes me think.
Then I see the rewiews here, and see that many people think like my friend: WONDERFUL BOOK.
I also see that many people think like me: AVERAGE BUT CUTE.
Well, I encourage you to give the book a try and read it. At worst, you will feel it's nice, it's good philosophy, makes you think but only scratches the surface.
At best, you'll read one of the best books of your life : )
So, it can't hurt, if you like books about life, the universe and everything, you will propably either enjoy the book a little bit, or enjoy it immensely ; )

-I'm not born english - so don't look at typos : )

Q & A
Q & A
by Vikas Swarup

5.0 out of 5 stars Harch life, warm story, good book., 17 Mar 2007
This review is from: Q & A (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book. Very unusual scene, about a very poor orphan in India, and his strange, yet believeable, life. His realities of life are hard, the life is ruthless, the poverty virtually limitless. Yet he meets good people (and bad people), and true people, in the midst of the dangers of his everyday life. The story was totally gripping, I could hardly put it down, and my thougts were all in the story for days. I totally reccommend it.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (New English library)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (New English library)
by Stephen King

3.0 out of 5 stars So so., 26 Nov 2006
A pretty unmemorable book. There is a 9 year old girl that is the main character, but she is thinking like a much older person, making her a rather unbelivable character. And not much that happens in the story. Somehow I felt like I'd read the plot many times before.

He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
by Greg Behrendt

1.0 out of 5 stars Belittles both men and wimen., 18 Oct 2006
Creates stereotypes out of both men and women, and promotes 50 year old wiewpoints.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by William Sears

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the answer to my prayers., 6 Mar 2006
I have a 6 year old son, that had a lot of sleep problems for his first 2 years. I have a 5 month old son, that had hardly slept more than 1 hour at a time since birth. In other ways, they're perfect children that I love totally : ) I have had the advice of health service counsellers (that mostly advocated that they should cry it out... well, that did NOT work and it made me go nutty to listen to the poor wee things cry). I have a lot of experience in finding ways to help them sleep, and have been re-inventing the wheel a thousand times (because lots of what I do has been done by parents for thousands of years, it just doesn't seem that anybody bothers to put it down in writing). I have been reading many books about babies´ sleep, and mostly they made me more insecure, because they said either:
1. Cry it out (and I couldn't do it).
2. Endure it and love your baby (and I desperately needed a tiny bit of sleep).
They were also often so big that a sleep deprived parent had no way of reading through them.
But, there came a book, with such a good amount of good advice, some things that I'd done with success, other things I hadn't done, other things I'd done but as it takes a few days to see the result I'd given up before seeing the good result.
Now I've got the courage to do the right thing, and already my younger baby is sleeping MUCH better. I wholeheartedly, lovingly, desperately, truly reccommend this book. I wish I'd had it 2 weeks before my first baby was born, but at least I'm glad it will help me and my second baby now, and a big number of loving, sleep deprived parents out there : ) What a great gift this book is : )
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2009 6:33 PM BST

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, feeding and behaviour - beyond the basics through infancy and toddlerdom
by Tracy Hogg

1.0 out of 5 stars Big and useless., 27 Feb 2006
I bought this book a little before my 2. baby was born, looking forward to a delightful read with a lot of good advice. But, it wasn't worth it. To begin with, it's far too full of words. I love reading, and read a lot of long books ordinarily, but it is a book for parents of small children, and you are simply sleep deprived and busy, and not with the time to study 390 pages at that time (I simply got a shock when the book arrived). The author also spends a lot of time explaining how every other way than hers is the way to misery and failure. Then she comes with lots of schedules and strict plans that are preached as nessesary from day 1 of the baby's life, that are simply not practical with a newborn baby. The EASY plan f.ex. (1. the baby should Eat awake 2. then it should do Activity 3. then the baby should Sleep 4. then there is time for You-the mother), you simply can not follow that routine with most babies, I'm sure, there is no way you can keep most newborn nursing babies awake throughout the time while they're nursing, and what Activity is there to do with a newborn after that? Well, I read a lot of the book, and was convinced, that since I didn't follow these procedures, I'd be doomed to sleeplessness and unhappyness. Well, now the baby is in it's 6th month, and falls asleep in the evening at 7 and only wakes for nursing, sleeps untill 7 in the morning.
Also, she's preaching for early use of formula even if you have no problems with nursing (or all will go to hell), and for not giving into your love for the baby too much. This book seems to be oriented mostly towards american wimen that HAVE to get out on the work market very soon (even with 4 months old babies), with others that can spend more time with their children, this book does not offer much exept loosing hope (like I did for a while) and military-type schedules ; )

House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit
House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit
by Marinell Harriman

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my misunderstood rabbit into a happy rabbit., 17 Aug 2005
A few years ago I bought myself a rabbit, had a cage, bought rabbit food and a water bottle... now the rest should be simple, right? How complicated can it be to keep a rabbit?
Well, it turned out to be more complicated than I thought. I didn't know why it didn't want to be held in my lap, I couldn't housetrain it, and it nibbled everything to pieces. HELP! Well, then I searched for info, bought this book - and in a couple of weeks my rabbit changed from a misunderstood shy animal to a pet that we all love to pieces, that runs on the floor around us, goes to it's toilet every time, watches tv with my kid (I'm not joking!)... THANKS, it was wonderful : ) Wonderful book, wonderful bunny : )

Ursula, Under
Ursula, Under
by Ingrid Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating., 10 Aug 2005
This review is from: Ursula, Under (Paperback)
A wonderful story. I bought it just out of curiosity, and when reading the first chapters, I couldn't see where it was heading, thought it would be chaotic and boring. Then the threads start coming together, braiding the story, and the book totally engulfed me.
It is in a way, partially composed of many short stories, biographies of various people through the centuries. Many chapters stand totally unsupported by themselves as short stories, and are good as such. Together the book forms an epic poem: Beautiful, narratic, epic, exiting. It grabs the reader by the heart, the fate of each person in the book becomes very important, and the thrill of seeing how each biography goes goes on.
The story has it's small faults, one feels when reading it, but as the story comes to an end, one sees the point, why it is composed like it is.
So, surpricing, different, a good book.