Profile for Miss Tiggywinkle > Reviews

Red Road [DVD] [2006]
Red Road [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Kate Dickie
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see film...tense...uncomfortable...memorable, 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: Red Road [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I saw this film at the cinema recently and thoroughly recommend it - but it won't be to everyone's taste.

The storyline is gripping, and leaves you guessing until the very end, and then the whole film makes sense and you understand why Jackie (played with startling honesty and skill by Kate Dickie) behaves they way she does - sort of; certainly you end up feeling gut-wrenching sympathy for her. I won't give the story away, and hope none of the future reviewers do either.

This film makes you feel uncomfortable all the way through, like you are an imposter; spying on the characters. I never been made to feel like that by a film before, and I was on the edge of my seat, tense. It is filmed, mostly, in the Dogme 95 style.

It is not an easy film to watch , and is a bit slow to get going, but it is worth every second of your time. You will think about this film long after it has finished; for weeks or months even...

My Summer of Love [DVD]
My Summer of Love [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathalie Press

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling...Diabolical...Atrocious...An Abomination!, 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: My Summer of Love [DVD] (DVD)
My God, how/why was this film released? The storyline is dreadful. The acting is worse (regardless of whether they are 'unknown' or not - there are plenty of 'unknowners' who are truly magnificant). Do not bother wasting either your money or time watching this film, I'm thankful I only rented it.

The ONLY reason I got to end is because I used to live near Todmorden (where the film is set) and I could do some location spotting.

I usually find something good to say about all films. I am broadminded, open to new styles and genres, have good aesthetic awareness and appreciation of cinematography, and good quality acting is not the be all and end all; this film has nothing, except perhaps the lovely hills and valleys!

If you want to see a GOOD film with a similar plot, watch 'HEAVENLY CREATURES'. A superb film which I suspect was used, badly, as a base for this pile of...RUBBISH!

Belleville Rendez-Vous [2003] [DVD]
Belleville Rendez-Vous [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michèle Caucheteux

5.0 out of 5 stars the dog is a masterpiece, 19 Jan 2007
I love this animation (and yet I cannot abide The Office and have never heard of Curb Your Enthusiasm).

It is quirky, original, dark, witty and very very clever. I was blown away when I first saw it; recorded from the TV one christmas but the tape ran out before the end. I couldn't wait for an opportunity to see it again, and wasn't disappointed. There isn't much dialogue but there doesn't need to be. The characters are wonderfully stylised and the dog is a masterpiece of animated observation.

Watch it, most definately, and hopefully you won't be disappointed. It seems it is not to everyone's taste but wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things?

Betty Blue - Director's Cut   [1986] [DVD]
Betty Blue - Director's Cut [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Beatrice Dalle
Offered by adfilms

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaah, Betty, 15 Jan 2007
I adore this film, and watch it again and again and again...

It is compelling, if not compulsive, viewing.

It is beautiful, powerful, sensitive, moving and totally addictive.

It is quite possibly the best film that has ever been made.

It is...Betty Blue...a classic...a one off...incomparable...unequalled...perfect in every way!

Ma Vie En Rose [DVD] [1997]
Ma Vie En Rose [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Georges Du Fresne

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 Jan 2007
This review is from: Ma Vie En Rose [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
I adore this film.

It is beautiful, frustrating, powerful, funny and eloquent. The world of Pam can be appreciated by anyone with a love of the kitsch.

I find it intensely irritating when I come across this film categorised into 'Gay Interest' films. This is not a sexual film about being gay, straight, cross-dressing, transgender etc etc. It is a simple and wonderful film exploring a little boy's confusion about gender identity and acceptance, and having to cope with his family and the communtity's hostility and narrow-mindedness. This, I feel, can be appreciated by all. Georges du Fresne, who plays Ludovic, is simply fantastic and plays his character with pure devotion; an absolute gem.

I wouldn't call it a family film though, unless perhaps one has a child dealing with similar issues.

Tsotsi [DVD] [2006]
Tsotsi [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Presley Chweneyagae
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Jan 2007
This review is from: Tsotsi [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
After all the build up to this film, when I finally saw it I found it immensely disappointing.

Yes, Tsotsi beat up his friend, taunted a disabled chap briefly and shot a woman while pinching her car, but that was it. There should have been a bigger, better portrayal of just how bad he was prior to accidentally kidnapping the baby. The contrast between him at the beginning and the end wasn't great enough to warrant the storyline. The ending was also a let down. They should have used one of the alternatives at least.

DO, however, watch the short film added in the special features. It was worth purchasing this film for.

Powerful Articulate Beautiful Evocative

This should have been the main feature film!

Trouble Every Day [DVD] (2001)
Trouble Every Day [DVD] (2001)
Dvd ~ Vincent Gallo
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

2.0 out of 5 stars Do I love it or hate it?, 15 Jan 2007
I have watched this film twice now, and am still unable to decide whether I love it or hate it. Do I give it one star or five? It is gory, the acting is questionable, it has obvious budget limitations, and I can't help thinking what is the point. Having said all that, there is something about this film which I am hooked on but cannot quite put my finger on what exactly. I enjoyed the limited dialogue and the frustrations suffered by all the characters was gripping.

Would I recommend it? Yes, I think so, as it is one of those films you will never forget you've seen! Contrary to the other reviewer, I would have appreciated subtitles for the French, but coped none the less.

Not for the faint hearted.