Profile for gmahler > Reviews

Transition
Transition
Offered by collectorsheaven

4.0 out of 5 stars Luke in Transition, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Transition (Audio CD)
It's amazing what living with an album for awhile will do for you. Maybe I was in a different frame of mind; maybe I was ready for it after not listening to it for awhile, but for whatever reason, the album feels totally different to me now than it did originally. The little details in the recording are just great. Don't expect a shred fest. This cd is more in line with Luke's last 2 studio releases. Yes, I still like them both more than this cd, but this one is a natural progression from those recordings. I really appreciate an artist who doesn't just rehash what they've already done and call it "new". Luke's vocals are a highlight on this recording. It's very obvious that he's been working on his vocal delivery. A very worthy addition to his catalogue. My advice... it you don't dig it right away, just give it some time. I can say from experience.... it's a grower!!!

100%
100%

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Smile Guarantee!, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 100% (Audio CD)
Here's all you need to know about 100%... BEST CD of 2012!!!
Buy now; smile guaranteed to follow :)

Now, stop reading and... add to cart!!!

Chutzpah!
Chutzpah!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD Of 2009!, 31 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Chutzpah! (Audio CD)
Chutzpah is... brilliant!
BRAVO!!!
A must own desert island disc.
Easily the the best of 2009!
Play; repeat...

P.H.U.Q.
P.H.U.Q.
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets no better than this!!!, 7 Feb. 2008
This review is from: P.H.U.Q. (Audio CD)
Easily my fav Wildhearts album and my 2nd fav album by any artist OF ALL TIME!!!
I can't rave enough about this one. A perfect album. An honest to goodness MASTERPIECE.
Every song is so brilliant that words can't do it justice.
Stop what you're doing and buy this CD right now!!!

Market Harbour
Market Harbour
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Side Of Ginger, 7 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Market Harbour (Audio CD)
Yet another masterpiece from this generation's greatest songwriter. All 3 of Ginger's recent solo releases ("Valor Del Corazon" 2006, "Yoni" 2007 & this cd "Market Harbour" 2008) are amazing and very different (in a good way) from each other. If forced to pick one (which I thankfully don't have to do), I'd say that "Yoni" is the overall best of the 3, featuring a full album of hook laden melodic pop / rock trax.

While I have to admit that "Market Harbour" wouldn't be my first choice for someone who's never heard Ginger's music before, I must also say that it's refreshing to have an artist not rehash previous releases. "Market Harbour" is more of a concept album in that all the trax run together using instrumental interludes as segues from song to song. It plays like a single continuous hour long track. This is NOT an album to be played on shuffle. It really demands to be played as a whole and requires your full attention. A very eclectic collection of songs to be sure. If you want to blast something loud in your car you're better served with the most recent (self titled) Wildhearts album (which was hands down my favorite release of 2007), but if something a little different is more to your liking then this album is a must own. A lyrical and introspective work of art.

Falling In Between Live
Falling In Between Live
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars TOTO Rules... but beware the pre-recorded bg vox, 17 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Falling In Between Live (Audio CD)
Like some of the other reviews here, I must agree that the amount of... let's call it treatment to many, if not all the lead vocal performances is a shame, but for some reason, that doesn't bother me as much as the background vocal backing track that plays throughout the entire show.

Think about it... There are are four singers in the group:
Luke, Bobby, Greg and Tony. When one is singing lead, that leaves 3 singing backup. If you've seen the band live, you know that it's rare that all 3 of the guys are singing backup at the same time. Luke is almost always paying more attention to his guitar playing, as he should be, so really it's usually just two guys singing backup for most of the show, with Tony doing the lion's share of the work. Now... you tell me how one, two or even three vocalists can sound like a prerecorded (and might I add perfect sounding) choir? The background vocals are enormous!!! You can hear that the guys are singing live as well, but they are singing along with the prerecorded track. I saw TOTO live at the Wiltern in LA in 2006, and the backing track was very obvious on that night as well, but at least all the lead vocals were live... mistakes and all... and they sounded off the charts amazing!!! Bobby sings very very little bg vox, usually just mouthing along 'till his leads come in. This was really obvious at the gig during the chorus for "Africa", and quite a few other songs as well. I would much prefer to just hear them sing everything as best they can live. I realize they are no longer touring with the two or sometimes three background singers whose sole purpose is to take care of those parts, but still, this is really unnecessary. I'm sure the vocals will be exactly the same on the live DVD as the bg vox track was actually used at the shows and not a studio fix. Maybe, if we're lucky, the lead vox with be persevered the way they were heard on the night of the show, minus all the studio triage that is used on the live cd.

So... why the four star review you ask? Well, I happen to still prefer this live album to the previous Amsterdam 25th Anniversary concert. That tour was in support of a covers cd "Through The Looking Glass" which IMHO is TOTO's only sub-par studio effort (although they only played 2 1/2 songs from that album and the rest of the set list was killer). This tour is in support of the stellar "Falling In Between" cd, and hearing those trax live is a real treat. The playing on this tour is just on fire and Simon Phillips's solo during "Hydra" is his best TOTO solo committed to tape. A thing of beauty... and the repeated melodic hook being played behind the solo is equally impressive. I just think that a band as good as TOTO has no business using prerecorded trax of any kind (except for the opening sequence when they're coming on the stage - which happens to work really really well). Don't let my above comments stop you from picking up this set or the upcoming DVD version. It's still very much worth your time and money. Just know what it is that you're getting and you won't be disappointed.

BRAVO TOTO!!!

The Wildhearts
The Wildhearts

5.0 out of 5 stars Rooting For The Wildhearts!!!, 24 April 2007
This review is from: The Wildhearts (Audio CD)
First impression... WOW!!! An instant classic! This is just about the best thing since sliced bread. A treat from start to finish. "p.h.u.q" is my 2nd fav album of all time by any artist and my fav Wilhearts album, but this one is pretty darn close. There are things on this album on par with some all time Wildhearts classics like "Inglorious" and "Sky Babies". I never in a million years thought I'd get an album filled to the brim with trax on that level. To have an album this good on the heals of the also excellent "Yoni" is almost too much to take.

After 7 complete plays I rate the trax in the following order from favorite to least favorite with a grade for each after the title:

1) Rooting For The Bad Guy - 10+ (my favorite chorus on the album and strong melodic themes included throughout the many riff sections. A masterpiece!!! I need a live version NOW!!!)

2) Bi Polar Baby - 10+ (this was my fav track on first listen and is just barely bested by RFTBG. Monster guitar playing and the best verse melody on the album - this one should be the next single after "The New Flesh. I bet this just KILLS live!)

3) Slaughtered Authors - 10+ (simply amazing. I got chills the first time I heard it. A beautiful song!)

4) Oh Bonita (Japanese Edition ONLY) - 10 (easily the best hook on the album and the only true sing-along track. I will not be upset if the next Wildhearts album has more trax like this one. My better half's fav on the album - this one would also make a killer single)

4) The Hard Way- 10 (my 2nd fav on my first listen. reminds me more of Earth Vs. than any other track on the cd. The chorus especially reminds me of "Lovesh*t")

6) Destroy All Monsters - 9+ (the riff-a-thon we've all been waiting for - I love it!)

7) The New Flesh - 9+ (believe it or not, this was my least fav on 1st listen, but has grown on me more than any other track on the album. The lyrics are awesome, and next to "Oh Bonita" is the next most catchy song).

8) The Revolution Will Be Televised - 9+ (I never thought I'd hear a WH track that sounded soooooo much like Green Day. A heavier Green Day to be sure. More great lyrics and very memorable hooks for both verse and chorus.)

9) Inner City Overture - 9 (another beauty and comes at just the right time on the album)

10) The Sweetest Song - 8+ (the angriest verse matched with the "sweetest" chorus. another one that should get the crowd jumpin' live)

11) She's All That - 8 (I like this alot, even though it's my least fav song. Very catchy.)

12) So The Spencers Will Poke Out (Japanese Edition ONLY) - 7 (sounds like a demo for a song idea that was abandoned and then put into RFTBG. Cool to hear, but that's about all)

It doesn't get much better than that.

BRAVO Ginger, CJ, Ritch and Scott. You guys should be very proud and I really hope this album breaks you in the US and is the worldwide success it deserves to be!

Geordie in Wonderland
Geordie in Wonderland

4.0 out of 5 stars THE WILDHEARTS ROCK THE CASTLE!!!, 2 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Geordie in Wonderland (Audio CD)
This cd documents the heavyweight champ of rock bands live at the Rock In The Castle Festival in Scarborough on September 17th, 2005. Obviously this is a huge outdoor location which means a blur of booming audio. The weather conditions were said to be atrocious; very cold and very very blustery. The band played a very short set and all 15 songs are included on this single 66min cd. For some reason, the set list has been shuffled a bit for this cd release and is not identical to the order in which the songs were performed. Unlike the band's last live cd (taken from 9 different UK club shows), the band was not on tour; this was a one off show. As far as I know there were no warm up gigs either. Add to this the fact that Ritch and Danny were back in the band for this show after being out of the line-up for a very long time, plus the bad weather conditions and film crew (the concert was recorded for a supposed but as yet unannounced DVD) and you have a recipe for disaster. Despite all this, the band comes through with flying colors. Thankfully, the band did not record studio overdubs to fix mistakes and bum notes (which in my opinion can ruin and take all the fun out of many bands "live" recordings). It's all here; live and loud. Ginger fares the worst from the poor weather conditions, as his voice sounds very rough throughout. He still gives it his all, and screams 'till his throat is thrashed, but it means that this show is NOT the definitive live Wildhearts cd; just a welcome document of this particular event. The mix could have been better as well. Background vocals are WAY too low in the mix and the overall sound is very compressed, muddy and surprisingly thin sounding. Still, the band's performance is a pleasure to listen to as they rip through a greatest hits set. "The Wildhearts Strike Back" 2 cd live release is still the definitive live statement from the band. It sports much better sound quality and a more varied and much longer set list (7 of this shows 15 cuts are from the "Earth Vs." album). The real benefit of "Strikes Back" is that at the time of the recordings, The Wildhearts were a touring, well rehearsed working band, playing in small, controlled venues. The fact that they were able to pick and choose the best performances from the tour (many dates were recorded) lends itself to a much better overall live recording. This disc however, really captures the performance of this one show; live, raw and kicking it as only the great Wildhearts can!!! Kind of like an official unofficial recording. And by the way... put out the friggin' DVD already!!!!!