Profile for dragonfly123 > Reviews

Crash Course Evidence-Based Medicine: Reading and Writing Medical Papers, 1e
Crash Course Evidence-Based Medicine: Reading and Writing Medical Papers, 1e
by Amit Kaura BSc(Hons) MB ChB
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Evidence-Based Medicine: Reading and Writing Medical Papers, 7 Jan 2014
Evidence Based Medicine, like other `Crash Course' books, condenses main topics concisely making it a highly readable guide. I used this book to brush up on my knowledge of Evidence Based Medicine in advance of interviews for an Academic Foundation Programme job. I found that it was excellent for recapping on how to approach reading papers as well as understanding the statistics used in clinical and research papers. The layout of each chapter is very clear with a comprehensive set of learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter. This was very handy because I was able to check back to ensure that I'd achieved the objectives upon reaching the end of the section.

The style of writing makes the topics accessible with each concept explained using clinically relevant examples. This makes it easy to understand and remember the different types of study.

The chapter on Academic Medicine was very insightful; I appreciated reading about the author's experience of Academic Medicine. I also found the information on career pathways and in particular, the summary table of the pros and cons to be extremely useful.

The `checklists' chapter at the end was very good for revising appraisal of different types of paper and it helped me to think about the different aspects of appraisal of various types of studies.

Overall, I found this book very readable and feel that the content and style is comprehensive for revision and to provide a basis for further reading if required. I will definitely use it again as I approach Finals but I think that the book is a good choice for medical students at any level who wish to improve their understanding and application of critical appraisal.

Book review written by an Elsevier medical student representative supplied with a gratis copy.

Crash Course Medical Ethics and Sociology, 2e
Crash Course Medical Ethics and Sociology, 2e
by Andrew Papanikitas
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Medical Ethics and Sociology, 7 Jan 2014
Medical Ethics and Sociology covers the key topics included in undergraduate medical ethics. I found the style of writing to be very clear and concise and readable. I appreciated the fact that the background to the legal system was explained early on in the book as this was useful information that helps to appreciate the Articles relevant to Medicine.

The layout of the book makes it a good resource for revision as the chapters are very clearly set out so that it is easy to dip into the book when revising a particular topic. The figures used as very effective as many of them are laid out in table format such as `How to write an ethics essay' and `Comparisons of ethical theories'. The tables are easy to remember and complement the information included in the bulk of the text.

In addition to the medical ethics chapters, there are chapters covering public health issues such as impact of social class on health, gender and ethnicity differences as well as a whole chapter dedicated to Clinical Governance. These chapters are useful to read for revision purposes but I will read a Public Health text to learn about the topics in greater detail.

Overall, I think that this book is a useful revision tool and feel that it is pitched at the correct level to consolidate understanding of ethics. Having covered the material in depth during previous years of my course, I am finding this book useful in the preparation for Finals exams.

Macleod's Clinical Examination: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 13e
Macleod's Clinical Examination: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 13e
by Graham Douglas BSc(Hons) MBChB FRCP(Ed)
Price: 38.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A good clinical examination text, 4 Sep 2013
Macleod's Clinical Examination is proving to be a very useful text for revising the theory behind how to examine patients. It is clearly divided into four sections which comprehensively cover all aspects of clinical examination ranging from general approaches to very specific scenarios. The final section of the book covers techniques for OSCE practice.

I found the first three chapters on to be a very good general refresher which encompassed basic etiquette points on how to effectively communicate with and examine patients. It was a nicely succinct summary of information that I have previously been taught throughout medical school. The subsection on documenting in notes was also very useful as it showed examples of how to document. As a clinical student, I have seen great variability in terms of how this is done. I appreciate that it obviously requires adaptation depending on the speciality concerned but it was nice to have a basic template to then apply to specific situations.

The book progresses onto chapters on the general and the systemic examinations and I found this section to be very comprehensive. The format for approaching each system is the same with a short section discussing the anatomy is a brief and clinically relevant manner. This is then followed by a section on symptoms and definitions which helpfully clarifies the medical terms used to describe the symptoms of a particular condition. A section on the physical examination follows and this is helpfully accompanied by pointers to indicate that there is extra material available online to help such as an examination video.

There is very good use of illustrations, photographs and colour coordination throughout the book. This is helpfully explained at the beginning of the book and is very nice when flicking through to search for a particular point e.g. all physical examination sequences are headed in red which means that it is simple to pinpoint the routine when practicing.

The `specific situations' section of the book covers the history, examination and investigations of a few key areas such as `The febrile adult', `Assessment for Anaesthesia and Sedation' as well as `The Critically ill'. Having completed both Surgical and Medical attachments, I like this section because it brings together the important points on each scenario. The use of illustrations in these chapters is excellent with an opening annotated diagram showing the key areas to focus on in terms of examination.

The final section of the book is the OSCE section which offers advice on approach to different stations. I feel that this section will be good for finals revision in order to focus on the aspects of the examinations that must be demonstrated in timed conditions.

Overall, I am pleased with this book as a guide to clinical examination. I feel that it has a good balance of visual and written information and am confident that it will cover what I need to focus on, not only for exams but also for clinical practice.

Review by a final year clinical medical student who is also an Elsevier Student Rep and received a gratis copy of the title.

Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine, 8e
Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine, 8e
by Parveen Kumar CBE BSc MD DM (HC) FRCP FRCP(Edin)
Price: 54.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A good staple, 7 Nov 2012
This latest edition of Kumar and Clark's `Clinical Medicine', like it's predecessors, proves to be a formidable text. I have been using as my main source of reading for clinical placements.

The chapters are clearly organised and helpfully colour coordinated which makes it easy to access the information required. There are also lots of helpful references in the margin in case further reading is required. This is definitely an optional extra however, as the text offers a good overview of each topic. I have mostly found the level of detail to be adequate for my needs. There have been a few occasions where I have felt that I wanted to read more about a particular topic and so have sought other sources for elaboration. Otherwise, I have been impressed by the concise explanations, which serve as a good overview to the topic.

Additionally, there are a number of clear diagrams interspersed throughout the text. These have proved to be very helpful as some are clinical photographs that illustrate the expected presentation of patients with the condition.

In terms of size, the book is unsurprisingly substantial. The student consult function (free with the text) therefore comes in handy to save lugging round the main text. I have found this particularly useful during regional placements. There is also a very useful function on student consult which enables easy downloading of figures from the text into PowerPoint presentations. I have used this function on multiple occasions and have found it to be a convenient feature of the online version of the book.

Overall, I would give this book 5/5 stars as I think it is a very good text and has proven to be very useful. I see this as a good textbook to refer to whilst I'm learning the topic thoroughly. I didn't find it useful for revision as it was too bulky. I personally haven't noticed much of a difference between this edition and the previous one (aside from layout changes) though I haven't read the whole book from cover to cover and so cannot reliably comment on this.

Book review written by a Elsevier student representative.

Medical Physiology, 2e Updated Edition: with STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e
Medical Physiology, 2e Updated Edition: with STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e
by Walter F. Boron MD PhD
Price: 73.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful but hefty tome, 25 April 2012
This textbook is both impressive in size and quality. It aims to cover the physiology at a cellular level as well as linking it to pathophysiology. Its wide scope is reflected in its hefty size. It certainly is not a book to be used for quick revision but does however; fulfil its intended role very well. As expected, it is covered the material with thorough explanation. The chapters are well laid out and I particularly enjoyed the use of colour throughout the book. There are some beautiful diagrams, which succinctly and clearly reinforce the explanations in the text.

I used the endocrine chapters of this book when I was first learning the system and found that the diagrams and tables were useful for recap. Once I had read the full explanations, I found myself flicking back through to summarise using the diagrams.

The pathophysiology parts of the book are well laid out and are distinct from the rest of the text because they are contained in separate boxes. I found this to be very handy as it meant that I didn't need to waste time scanning through the whole text to find the clinically relevant information.

Due to its size, I would not be able to take it away on placements with me. I do think however that it is an excellent reference text to use and feel that I am able to find all the information I need without having to resort to other physiology texts. Overall, I would recommend this book as a good core reference text to refer back to. 4/5 Stars.

Basic Science for the MRCS: A revision guide for surgical trainees, 2e (MRCS Study Guides)
by Andrew T Raftery BSc MBChB(Hons) MD FRCS(Eng) FRCS(Ed)
Price: 35.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book (from a medical student perspective), 25 April 2012
Although not written with a medical student audience in mind, this book was still useful to me as a clinical medical student. It is conveniently ordered into sections on anatomy, physiology and pathology. Each section additionally has a few OSCE scenarios. I found the layout of the book to be very logical and easy to follow and found that I was able to flick through quickly to locate particular sections. The diagrams were also very useful though my only criticism would be that they are all black and white. This is a matter a preference, but personally, I enjoy colour diagrams. Indeed, I think that the chapter sections would be better demarcated through the use of a colour code system throughout the book as a whole. Nevertheless, I still found it to be a valuable resource. Given that it aims to cover `Basic Science', I found it to be at the right level to use as a revision aid, particularly when covering a specific body system before a hospital attachment. It was definitely much quicker to revise from this book as opposed to consulting the individual texts that I used when I actually learnt the information for the first time. I also liked the `Clinical Points' sections in the anatomy chapters as these were the areas that I wanted to ensure I revised before heading back to the wards. Having recently completed a surgical attachment, I was pleased to find that the book contains the information that I was commonly questioned on by the surgical team in teaching sessions.

Overall, I think this book is definitely a useful revision aid for use on surgical placements. I struggle to decide on which books to take with me when I am away on regional placements, but I think that this book would solve some of my problems as it obviates the need to take separate single revision texts for anatomy, physiology and pathology. Although by no means comprehensive if you need detailed information about the topics, it beautifully fulfils its intended role as a revision aid. I would give it 4/5 stars.