Profile for Alan > Reviews

Anker® AH430 USB 3.0 4-Port Compact Aluminum Hub with 2-Foot USB 3.0 Cable
Anker® AH430 USB 3.0 4-Port Compact Aluminum Hub with 2-Foot USB 3.0 Cable
Offered by AnkerDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't seem to work with MacBook Air, 14 July 2014
This looked ideal. My MacBook air only has 2 usb ports and I wanted more options. Unfortunately I didn't spot until too late that someone with a MacBook had also had problems.

I had the hub plugged in with just two items connected - a home printer, and a Skype headset. When it was connected, for some reason it interfered with my wireless internet connection, with pages either loading very slowly, or dropping the connection altogether - I couldn't use Skype at all. When I disconnected the hub, the internet connection came back instantly. I had no problems before using this hub, and they have all gone now I've sent it back, so there is some incompatibility.

The product details do say that some 2.4GHz wireless devices (keyboard, mouse) may not work around USB 3.0 ports. It's a bit of a leap from there to interfering with the laptop-router connection.

Shame because this looked great and other people seem happy but it was a waste of space on the desk for me. As usual though Amazon refunded my money really fast which is why it's still my favourite place to buy technology.

4 x 7.8 Litre Plastic Food Container Box
4 x 7.8 Litre Plastic Food Container Box
Offered by Image Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal storage boxes, 14 July 2014
Haven't tried these anywhere difficult like the freezer yet, but bought them to store odds and ends in the kitchen and they are great. Solid, close well - they are good quality plastic storage boxes. And you get 4 boxes for the price.

How to Get a Job You'll Love 2013-2014 Edition
How to Get a Job You'll Love 2013-2014 Edition
by John Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice with lots of detailed guidance, 9 July 2014
I bought this to help some apprentices at work think about their career options - its got real world pragmatic advice, and I like the way it puts the emphasis on you to do things and find the work, not wait for it to come to you. Includes detailed advice on CVs and interviews, but also LinkedIn profiles, researching companies, and a whole lot more. The content is great, and it summarises everything in useful checklists at the back. It's not just for people at the beginning of their career either - it includes advice for people wanting or needing to shift careers.

Logitech M557 Bluetooth Mouse
Logitech M557 Bluetooth Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice reliable ambidextrous mouse without those annoying cables, 9 July 2014
An average sized mouse that does its job well. I have it connected via Bluetooth to a Macbook Air - it was simple to connect and it does the job well. I have large hands so in an ideal world I'd like it to be larger but that applies to all the mice I've tried. Its symmetrical so can be used in either hand, which I like because I tend to swap it round during the day to avoid strain on one hand. It feels solid - no idea how long the batteries will last yet as I've only had it a week.

As installed on the Mac it allows you through preferences to adjust:
- Tracking speed
- Scrolling speed
- Double click speed
- Primary mouse button (left/right)
- Scroll direction

All in all I'm pleased and it's doing exactly what I wanted. Only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is it doesn't surprise me - I'm not sure what that would take, but I like to leave space for manufacturers to stretch their thinking to the next level :-)

Xerox A4 100gsm Premier Paper - White Ream
Xerox A4 100gsm Premier Paper - White Ream

4.0 out of 5 stars good paper, 2 July 2014
Noticeably white compared to the cheaper stuff I had before, so just what I needed. For the 5th star it would have needed to be even cheaper but its good enough value especially as I didn't have to carry it home!

As someone else pointed out the increase in weight from 80 to 100 also makes double sided printing clearer so overall I'll save paper and money.

Crosskase 3-in-1 Laptop Bag, Backpack and Messenger bag in Black - Lightweight Water Resistant Business Backpack to carry 13 inch - 15.6 inch Laptops, Apple MacBook, Apple Macbook Air and iPads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag - shame about the side pockets, 1 July 2014
I bought this as a light, professional looking bag for work and it meets that need well. It's not enormous, but that was a deliberate choice to stop me carrying too much stuff. Its fine for a laptop, cables, and lots of papers or a few books, and has lots of internal pockets for pens and other odds and ends. Don't buy this if you are looking to fit 4 ring binders in or similar because you won't get them in (maybe one narrow one).

The flap you can see in the picture means you can hide expensive stuff away without someone being able to flip a zip and pull things out while you're walking, but of course that means you can't get to things quickly either. However, there is also a separate large compartment you can get to quickly so its your choice which things you put where.

My only real complaint about this bag is the two mesh side pockets. I have always used these in the past to put drinks bottles in, but I haven't been able to find a bottle small enough to fit. For the sake of a few cms more of mesh and a longer piece of elastic it seems an odd decision.

KitSound Hive Bluetooth Wireless Universal Portable Stereo Speaker with 3.5mm Jack, Compatible with iPhone 3/3G/3GS/4/4S/5/5S/5C, iPad 2/3/4/Mini/Air, iPod Nano 7th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4, Galaxy Tab 2/3, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, BlackBerry, Nokia, Windows Phone 8, HTC and MP3 Devices - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 1 July 2014
Just arrived today but already I love this speaker. I bought it to replace some ageing Sony speakers I used to carry around to plug into my laptop. Comes very smartly packaged, and has a nice drawstring bag, usb cable for charging, and audio cable if you decide not to use bluetooth. Nice note on the audio cable - its flat and rubber coated, so it coils and uncoils really easily.

Simple controls:
- volume and bluetooth buttons on the top
- on the side it has power on/off (which lights up when charging), a micro usb port, and the aux audio port.

It was dead easy to connect via Bluetooth and it charged in around 4 hours as the instructions said. Time will tell if it gives the 6 - 10 hours playback time they say, but that's more than enough for me.

So to the key thing - sound. Its not hifi, but then at this price point and size I wouldn't expect that. My old Sony speakers were better, but only just, and they were each twice the size of this so carrying them was a pain. I would happily listen to this as background music while doing other things, and it will also be loud enough to provide audio when I'm showing videos in training which I do occasionally. If I want to concentrate on quality music I'll go for my other options involving hifi components but this is great value for money. Personally I would have liked a little more bass, but that's a personal preference and other people tell me I'm weird that way :-) All in all I'm pleased.

Once unpacked the speaker, bag and cables weigh 440g, and size wise its about 6cm x 6 cm x 18cm. So, not the kind of thing you would slip in your pocket, but ideal to drop into a backpack or overnight bag for a trip.

Good Year Pocket Size Car Tyre Pressure Gauge
Good Year Pocket Size Car Tyre Pressure Gauge
Offered by Shop Of Accessories (UK)

4.0 out of 5 stars Its definitely a tyre pressure gauge, 1 July 2014
This is good old fashioned engineering - simple and effective. I've only not given it 5 stars cos its hard to get excited about a tyre pressure gauge. I've compared its readings to the electronic gauge at the local garage and it seems accurate enough.

Sennheiser PC 8 USB Internet Telephony On-Ear Headset
Sennheiser PC 8 USB Internet Telephony On-Ear Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need it to, 9 Jun 2014
Headset is light and adjustable, which makes it very comfortable to wear. I can hear the outside world with very little muffling, which is what I prefer. If you like to be closed off from the world these won't be for you. Sound quality is very good for listening on calls, and I'm told my speech quality is good too. Mic still picks up loud background noise, but for the price I didn't expect anything else. Cable is nice and long, and in-line controls are simple (mute button/volume wheel). All in all just what I wanted - time will tell.

RFID Blocking Handmade Genuine Leather Wallet Oyster Credit Card Holder Sleeve (Brown4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Only just takes 4 cards, 7 Jun 2014
Its well made and looks good - its very tight to get 4 cards into it, so there is no room for receipts or anything else, which I miss in an old card holder I had, but anything else seemed too big, and this at least has the benefit of being very compact

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5