Profile for Nicci D > Reviews

Content by Nicci D

Nicci D (Menston, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Cover-Up Kobo Glo eReader Cover Case With Auto Sleep / Wake Function (Book Style) - (Black)
Price: 19.31

3.0 out of 5 stars You won't need one..., 10 July 2014
The product is OK, but you won't need one because you'll soon become so frustrated with the inadequacies of your Kobo Glo eReader that you'll throw it out of the window, shouting, "Why didn't I buy a Kindle?". Clear? I bought the Kobo Glo because it was cheaper than a Kindle but it truly was useless, freezing on every single use. I didn't buy it on Amazon so took it back to W H Smiths who didn't seem at all surprised by my succinct summary of its performance and just handed me a refund.

Hoover Spirit SP2101 Upright Vacuum Cleaner - 2100 Watt
Hoover Spirit SP2101 Upright Vacuum Cleaner - 2100 Watt
Price: 80.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Take heed, cautious buyer..., 10 July 2014
The reviews I read were not impressive, but as it was cheap and I like cheap, I went ahead and bought it anyway - I rather wish I hadn't. On the positive side, it's not heavy, the cylinder is small so needs changing more often than my Dyson did, but it's easy and not messy to do, and the colour is jolly. For suction it's OK - as usual, it takes at least three sweeps over a modest piece of cotton on the carpet to get it sucked up, but just the merest twitch by an unsuspecting mobile charger cord, for example, has it irretrievably entangled in the bowels of the machine. I know that's not a design fault, in fact, it's my own, but it's still infuriating. It has different settings for various carpet/hard floors and I am still assiduously using those, but it's just a matter of time before I get bored with that and do everything on one setting (just as I do with my washing machine and my oven - yep, everything on at the same temperature and please no comments from washing machine experts telling me it's my own fault if it breaks - I KNOW that already, OK?)

The cord position is just crazy! Which vacuum designer thought it would be a good idea to have it trailing out of the BOTTOM of the Hoover, rather than the top, meaning that you have to hold the cord in your free hand or risk reversing over it (and eviscerating it - see above) every time you draw the Hoover backwards? Every time you have to pull a chair out to hoover under the table, you have to drop the cord then bend over to pick it up again. Typing this, it looks petty and you're probably thinking, lazy mare, bend your back, but really, you try it. Or better still, don't - buy another model.

I've given vacuuming duties over to my husband now and this machine makes him swear. Heh heh, welcome to my world.

To Be A Cat
To Be A Cat
by Matt Haig
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present for a 9 year old..., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: To Be A Cat (Paperback)
...who loved it. Didn't read it myself, but had a quick flick through to get a feel for it and it looked about right for a nine year old.

Pop-Up Design and Paper Mechanics
Pop-Up Design and Paper Mechanics
by Duncan Birmingham
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present for a young teen on the strength of Amazon reviews, 10 Jun 2013
Read all the reviews before buying this for a creative young teenager as a present. When it arrived, it took only a glance to realise that said teenager would not be making any of the pop-ups without considerable assistance from a very patient adult, so had to buy something else instead and keep this book for myself. I'll have a go at some of them one day, but it won't be very soon.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 8:18 PM BST

TINTIN & HADDOCK PENCIL SHARPENER FROM THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
TINTIN & HADDOCK PENCIL SHARPENER FROM THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Too big for school, 10 Jun 2013
Much too big for school use, I'm told, so it's joined all the other pencil sharpeners I've bought the kids over the years that have been too big/small/girly/boyish/useless etc etc and is now in a box where my husband can find it when he has one of his frequent "Why can I never find a [missing item] in this house" moments.

TINTIN AND HADDOCK ERASER FROM THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
TINTIN AND HADDOCK ERASER FROM THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
Offered by Moulinsart
Price: 1.35

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a rubber/eraser, 10 Jun 2013
No, really, that's all it is and it works great. I can't think of anything else to say about it.

SNOWY AND HIS BONE RULER FROM THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
SNOWY AND HIS BONE RULER FROM THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
Offered by Moulinsart
Price: 1.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but apparently not suitable for school, 10 Jun 2013
Bought for my daughter's school kit, but apparently it's not long enough to meet stringent school requirements. Now I cast my mind back forty years to my own school days and remember using a ruler that had been broken several times and nibbled in the corner. I still managed to draw lines and measure things with it, but clearly things have changed. Who knew, eh?

Dunlop Retro Gym Holdall Sports Weekend Barrel Shoulder Bag Black
Dunlop Retro Gym Holdall Sports Weekend Barrel Shoulder Bag Black
Offered by LuggageCentreUK
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we needed, 10 Jun 2013
11 year old son is off to France with school for three nights. This bag is the perfect size to accommodate his clothes, shoes, toiletries and a towel for three nights and has the added advantage of being super retro stylish. It's not heavy when empty and the shoulder strap is wide enough to make carrying a full bag comfortable. I will be borrowing it myself, provided that my 11 year-old son remembers to bring it back from France, something which, sadly, cannot be guaranteed.

African Adventure (Red Fox Older Fiction)
African Adventure (Red Fox Older Fiction)
by Willard Price
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories for boys (and girls), 9 Dec 2012
I loved all these books when I was young (bit strange for a girl to like them maybe? Maybe not) so I was pleased when my son brought one home from his primary school library. I had no idea that Willard Price was so prolific though - I think I only read perhaps five of his books when I was young and thought then that I'd worked my way through his entire catalogue. Thanks to Amazon, I now know that in fact if there's an animal in the jungle that Willard HASN'T written a book about, it must be feeling miffed. Slow Loris Adventure anyone? Whatever, my son is very happy to have such a rich source of reading matter and is happily working his way through them all. Beware: some of the language is decidely non-PC and could be deemed offensive. It's up to you to decide whether or not your child can identify anything inappropriate, also whether it will spoil his/her enjoyment of these stories.

Adventure Double: Arctic / Safari: "Arctic Adventure", "Safari Adventure"
Adventure Double: Arctic / Safari: "Arctic Adventure", "Safari Adventure"
by Willard Price