Profile for daveleeds666 > Reviews

The Batman / Judge Dredd Files
The Batman / Judge Dredd Files
by Alan Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge Dredd/Batman, 5 April 2006
This book is one of the best crossovers I've seen. Judge Dredd is my favourite comic character, and everyone likes Batman.
The book is divided into three parts, Judgement on Gotham, The Ultimate Riddle and Die Laughing.
The first part sees Dredd's evil nemesis Judge Death use a dimension belt to warp into Gotham and basically kill everyone (long story, Batfans, read Necropolis) and Dredd has to sort it all out.
The second part shows Dredd and Batman warped into a parallel dimension to do battle with mean badasses from across the universe.
Die Laughing, sees the Joker join forces with the Dark Judges... Judge Joker. 'Nuff said! In my opinion the best of the three stories.
The artwork is second to none in all the stories, and across all of the stories the tension between old Stoneyface and Batman is portrayed perfectly. Both stand for justice but have very different opinions on how to achieve that.
As I've said, I bought this as a Dredd fan, but Batman fans like it, and if you're new to Dredd then this is as good an introduction as I can think of.

Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series (PC)
Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but flawed, 16 Feb 2006
These games are absolutely brilliant. Millions of years ago I upgraded my PC to a 386 just so I could play X-wing. More recently than that I got a more modern PC which ran windows 98, and these games worked fine. X-wing was almost exactly as I remembered it but with much nicer graphics.
Tie Fighter (which I hadn't played before) was even better because you could blast the crap out of Luke Skywalker and his mates and do (bad) Darth Vader impressions, and that's the point - there were always two kinds of kid, the ones who rescued the princess and the ones who put buckets on their heads and blew up planets. A word of warning - Don't try and play tie fighter with a bucket on your head, you won't see the screen, and if, like me, you're pushing 30 you'll look pretty stupid.
X-wing versus Tie Fighter was not so cool, because I don't have a network card. I'm sure it'd be great but I can't try that to its full potential.
And now the down side. I've since upgraded to Windows XP, and now I can't make the games run at all. I'd almost be tempted to downgrade!

Seize the Moment: The Autobiography of Britain's First Astronaut: Autobiography of Helen Sharman
by Helen Sharman

5.0 out of 5 stars Sieze the Moment, 30 Nov 2005
I can't really add much to what the previous reviewer has said. This book is fascinating, and gives a good account of what it's like in space and the selection and training which goes with it. The other thing that I would say is that it gives a very good comparison between the familiar US space program and the unfamiliar Russian space program - no countdown for a start.
If your a) interested in space travel and b) British, then buy this book!

Road to the Stars
Road to the Stars
by Yuri Gagarin

5.0 out of 5 stars Interested in space travel? Buy this book!, 24 Nov 2005
This review is from: Road to the Stars (Paperback)
Enough said!
This book is essential reading for anyone with an interest in the history of space travel. The writing style is a little stilted but perhaps this is something to do with the translation from the Russian.
The book itself covers Gagarin's life from his childhood during World War II up to the space flight and a little beyond. There's a lot of toeing the communist party line (for obvious reasons) and certainly some things have been made public about the space flight recently that were not mentioned in his book, such as the re-entry motors not detatching properly and having to use the ejector seat and land by parachute next to the capsule instead of inside it, but that probably wasn't Yuri's choice.
That said it is a highly interesting read throughout, and although a bit pricey it is well worth it.

Sunset
Sunset
Offered by CLF sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Oct 2005
This review is from: Sunset (Audio CD)
I would love to say that Fruit Tree are a band that is destined for greatness. Sadly there is no justice in the music industry in this country. If it ain't boring plastic pop major record companies don't care.
Which is a shame considering how good these people are. A kind of wierd cross between black metal and goth with Iron Maiden-esque guitar work and female vocals reminiscent of Lacuna Coil. Sounds an odd combination but it works brilliantly. I can think of no other metal band really similar, and that's a good thing.
I hope that I'm proven wrong about this band and they achieve the recognition they truly deserve.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman|Mos Def|Sam Rockwell
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Great..., 1 Sep 2005
I'll start by saying I am a fan of the original books, radio play and TV series. The thing that really confuses me is that people have given bad reviews of this film because of the changes that were made. Funny thing is they didn't complain about the changes made from radio play to book, neither did they complain about the changes made from book to TV series. The film is oddly consistent in that it is different from all the previous versions...
As for me I really enjoyed the film. The makers did a great job of updating the previous versions of the story, and (importantly) making it accessible for non-fans (certainly my friends anyway)
Granted, there were some things that I was sorry not to have seen, such as the Babel fish proving the non-existence of God, and there could have been more about the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, but that's only minor. The other thing I wasn't too sure about was Mos Def as Ford Prefect (he certainly didn't look like Douglas Adams described him) but his performance quickly changed my mind about that.
Only 4 stars because although the film is highly entertaining, there were things that I thought should have been in the film but weren't.

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 12 April 2005
OK, this game is not an intellegent strategy game, it's a game to play after drinking lots of beer. The game involves Godzilla and his mates beating each other up and smashing cities in the process. There's a good sense of humour - check out the Aliens speech at the beginning of Adventure mode - and let's face it, a game involving giant reptiles smashing up cities needs it. I'm not a huge fan of fighting games generally, but (on single player mode) this one is challenging enough to keep me interested without being too hard.
Single player mode isn't what this game is about though. The multi player mode is great fun, whether you choose to play as a pure fighting game or in Destruction mode - points are scored by causing as much damage to the city as possible in the time limit, and defeating the other monsters doesn't really matter so much.
There are 11 monsters in the game, including Godzilla, Anguiras, King Ghidora and Mecha Godzilla, but for some reason you only have a choice of 3 to begin with, and you have to unlock the others by completing adventure mode (using a different monster each time) so one star lost for that.

Cliff Em All [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Cliff Em All [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Cliff Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Cliff Burton is GOD!, 21 Feb 2005
I don't own this DVD, but I do have an ancient copy of this on VHS. I first saw the video in the 1991, at the tender age of 15, and this is what inspired me to pick up the bass guitar. OK, the sound quality is rubbish for most of it, but as the content is all bootleg footage done with video cameras from the crowd that's hardly surprising. Despite this (or perhaps because of this) the live footage is great, and all of Cliff's best solo's are on here.
Other footage shows early TV interviews, and Metallica as a bunch of drunk/stoned long haired kids out to play some music and basically have a good time.
All in all, this is a great tribute to an incredibly talented man, who's life was tragically cut short. Buy it.

Judge Dredd [VHS] [1995]
Judge Dredd [VHS] [1995]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 24 Nov 2004
This film was almost universally hated, by critics and Dredd fans alike, so I didn't get round to watching it for a long time. Dredd is one of my all time favourite comics and I didn't want to see it ruined by a bad film.
WHAT'S GOOD. Sylvester Stallone is the perfect man to play Dredd. I know not everyone agrees, but just scroll up and look at the picture. The first half hour or so of the film captures the atmoshere of the comics and MegaCity 1 perfectly, and gives anyone a good idea of what the comics are like.
WHAT'S BAD. The story. In short the story was not right for the character. I can understand that the film makers wanted Rico as the villain because it gives a lot of the back story as to where Dredd came from, but the way in which it was done had too many holes in it. Like the fact that Dredd has identical DNA to Fargo as well as Rico, was completely ignored. Dredd shouldn't have been sent to prison in the first place, he should have been chasing Rico round MegaCity 1. Diane Lane was very pretty, but essentially mis-cast as Judge Hershey (who's older in the comics and Dredd's superior) .As for Dredd's comedy sidekick bloke... He really DID deserve to go to prison! He was totally unneccesary - less said about him the better.
The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that in the film Dredd takes his helmet off! This upset many a Dreddhead, since he NEVER takes his helmet off in the comics - even when he's standing around in his underpants. I concede this probably couldn't be easily avoided on film, and it wasn't totally gratuitous but still, on screen Stallone was Dredd until he took off the helmet. Then he was just Stallone.
Overall as a film it isn't bad, it's an entertaining piece of sci-fi. If you like the film, you'll like the comics more. If you like the comics the film will leave you cold.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 1:56 AM BST

Probot
Probot

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock on!, 3 Nov 2004
This review is from: Probot (Audio CD)
This album rocks! There's no other way of describing it really, although it's safe to say this isn't for fans of the Foo Fighters, it's for crusty old Venom fans like me. There are no waek points on this album, although my favourite tracks are Centuries of Sin, Red War, Ice Cold Man and The Emerald Law.
If you're a foo fighters fan, you should buy it to discover Dave Grohl's influences and get a taste of what Metal really is (as opposed to pu-metal skate board happy pop punk pants)and if you're a metal fan you'll have no exuse for not buying it.

Page: 1 | 2