Profile for Julie Ryan > Reviews

Content by Julie Ryan

Julie Ryan "Author of the Greek Island Mystery series" (Gloucestershire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
The Curvy Girls Baby Club (The Curvy Girls Club Book 2)
The Curvy Girls Baby Club (The Curvy Girls Club Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal quick pick-me-up, 25 Aug. 2015
If you enjoyed The Curvy Girls Club then you will love this too. It is a bit of a coincidence that Ellie, Katie and Jane all find themselves expecting around Christmas but I really enjoyed the texts as they support each other through their pregnancies. There are some fabulous secondary characters too in the form of the mother-in-law from hell, which add a little depth to what is essentially a light easy read. This is not easy to achieve in a novella. My only real criticism is that I was over far too soon. That said, it’s ideal when you want a quick pick-me-up as with Michele’s easy style of writing, you’ll race through it.

I NEED A HERO a fun summer romance you won't want to put down
I NEED A HERO a fun summer romance you won't want to put down

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely romantic read, 22 Aug. 2015
Romantic novelist Bronte – how appropriate is her name? – dreams of finding a hero to sweep her off her feet – just like the heroes of her novels. When she is rescued by a dashing, rich and handsome man, she thinks she’s found Mr. Right. So why is it that her writing suddenly takes off in a different direction to what she’d planned? Subconsciously she knows that love is much closer to home in the form of her new neighbour. How long will it take her to realize this though?
I enjoyed this light-hearted romantic novel and appreciated the fact that where love is concerned, looks are not necessarily everything. It’s about time that our heroines looked beyond the chiselled features and bulging wallet to find more satisfying qualities. Lovely romantic read!

Lola's Money
Lola's Money

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read, 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Lola's Money (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the light-hearted style, which made this book easy to read. The characters jump off the page and the reader will easily identify with them. The story is about how winning a large sum of money changes your life and that of those around you; not always for the better. Colleagues and friends have different expectations, and Lola herself doesn’t always know how to react. She has a good head on her shoulders though which she will need if she is to overcome some serious obstacles. Parts of the story were a little predictable but what I loved was the insight that the author shows into Lola’s state of mind.

The Flow (book 2) (The Lady of the Pier)
The Flow (book 2) (The Lady of the Pier)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the third part, 18 Aug. 2015
Having read the first part of the trilogy, it was evident that things weren’t going to go smoothly for Laura. However, the depths to which Charles sinks in this book are quite shocking and I found myself rooting for her throughout. The first book seems to tell two distinct stories, that of Laura in Brighton and of Sofia in Corfu. What is interesting is how we begin to see the two threads come together in this book. Cleverly interwoven, I can’t wait to see what happens in the third part.

BEST DETANGLER CURVED BOAR BRISTLE HAIR BRUSH by BIZARRE.LY - Nylon Detangling Pins with Natural Boar Bristles Promote HEALTHY HAIR & Oil Distribution - No Snags - Works on ALL Hair Types Even Beards!
Offered by Bizarre.ly

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best detangling hairbrushes I've come across., 18 Aug. 2015
One of the best detangling hairbrushes that I've come across. The bristles really do detangle without pulling the hair. It's not often a product does exactly what it claims but I'm really happy with this brush. It's boar bristles are the key. Too early yet to see if the conditioning benefits really work as well but it's sturdy, comfortable to hold and does the business. I was lucky enmough to recieve this product free in exchamge for an honet review but would happily purchase it and recommend it to my friends.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2015 9:52 AM BST

Adjustable Reading Light GRDE® Multipurpose Gooseneck 9 LEDs Dimmable Clip-on Music Stand Lights,Cordless Portable Led Lamp for BBQ,Work,Desk,Bed Headboard(Batteries, Adapter and USB Cable Included)
Offered by UK tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little gadget, 4 Aug. 2015
I was offered this product free in exchange for an honest review.
This is a nifty little gadget. As it clips on, it can be used as a bedside light or as a reading light by a desk and no doubt hundreds of other uses. It’s rechargeable via a USB point so was handy in our camper van as a night light when everyone else was asleep. It’s on a flexible cable so can be easily adjusted. Very useful and more practical than a torch when clearing out the cellar as it leaves both hands free.

Summer Moved On
Summer Moved On

5.0 out of 5 stars A great summer read, 3 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Summer Moved On (Kindle Edition)
The two protagonists, Torun and Jess are both vulnerable. Torun was abandoned by his mother and Jess lost her mother at a young age. It would seem that these two young people are meant for each other. The course of true love never did run smooth however and at times I wanted to slap both of them and bring them to their senses. With Lily as prize trouble-maker, it is not surprising that these two seem to fall out and make up on a regular basis. The location and characters are superbly drawn and Jo Lambert certainly knows how to tell a story. I found myself sad as I was coming to the end but then, happy surprise, I discovered that there will be a sequel. I am really looking forward to finding out what happens to these two next.

Secrets of the Pomegranate
Secrets of the Pomegranate

5.0 out of 5 stars Great opening chapter - sucks you in, 30 July 2015
This book has one of the best openings I’ve read in a long while and immediately grabbed my attention. Add a long-held family secret to the mix and this is compulsive reading. Although I guessed Deborah’s secret long before we were told, there were sufficient hints after all and it didn’t spoil my enjoyment, despite the fact that it would have been very difficult to actually pull it off.

The author captures the real Granada with all its undercurrents, racism, mistrust and kindness too. This deals with relationships on all levels, between sisters, mother and son, inter-racial and I enjoyed every minute of this book despite knowing that I was also going to shed a few tears. Very moving, well-written and has put Granada to the top of my ‘to visit’ list.

K-POP® Automatic travel umbrella - black - best auto open & close, for outdoor use - beach garden sports - sun rain + wind resistant / windproof umbrellas - folding compact umbrella not clear bubble or parasol - best for men women and kids
Offered by Kitchen Tools LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy pop-up mechanism, 29 July 2015
A great product that is suitable for either men or women. It has a simple pop-up mechanism which really works and compared to cheaper models it is robust and well made. I was lucky enough to receive a free product to review but this is a quality product at a reaonable price. Always handy to have as a spare and doesn't tke up much room.

How to Be Greek Without Being Greek
How to Be Greek Without Being Greek

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read but not exceptional, 29 July 2015
I’m not quite sure what to make of this book. On the one hand there is some useful information and a tongue-in-cheek look at what it means to be Greek – rather like ‘what have the Greeks done for us?’ On the other hand it falls between trying to be factual and humourous, which doesn’t quite work. It’s an easy read, great for an insider’s view of a quick history of Greece and its people but it doesn’t stand out from the crowd.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19