Profile for chux > Reviews

Content by chux

chux (London, UK)

Motorola Moto G - Leather Flip Case Cover Pouch + Free Screen Protector & Mini Touch Stylus Pen + Polishing Cloth (Blue)
Offered by GB Online Sales

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless., 18 Dec. 2014
The case I was sent is the wrong size and far too small for a moto g. It is very cheap looking and seems like it would break without much difficulty. The plastic film screen cover is the right size but it is an odd texture so not very nice to touch when scrolling. Very disappointed, at least I only paid the discounted price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 4:47 PM GMT

Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such good value!, 8 Jun. 2014
I've had this phone for a month and I'm very happy with it so far. It's my first smartphone and it works fine, the display and matte finish look cool and it's a fine size for a pocket. The photos are also surprisingly good quality. Also you can't really argue with the price - £160 is much cheaper than a lot of my friends' phones which appear to be pretty much the same standard.

Panasonic RP-HTX7AE-C Lightweight Retro Style Monitor Headphones with Single Side Cord and One Side Monitoring System- Cream
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I've bought them twice!, 8 Jun. 2014
I first bought these headphones from Amazon in 2010. I had them for four years and was very happy with them; they look great, they sound very good for the price (I do a lot of student radio so quality is important) and they were nice and durable - I could put them in a bag without worrying that they would get damaged and accidental drops or knocks never had any effect. Then, a month ago, I was on a plane when somebody stepping over to me to their seat accidentally tripped on the headphones' wire and ripped it from the pin. I tried to fix it but couldn't. Seeing as this was an accident and no fault of the headphones, I decided to buy exactly the same pair and I'm pleased to say that nothing has changed and that they're still the same great quality. Definitely recommend!

Motorola Battery Shell Case Cover for Moto G - Vivid Red
Motorola Battery Shell Case Cover for Moto G - Vivid Red
Offered by SBSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great colour, 8 Jun. 2014
Bought this for my brother's birthday. Great colour, good quality, really makes the phone pop. Now I want one for mine!

Case In Your Face® Motorola Moto G Premium PU Leather Pull Flip Tab Case Cover Pouch - Various Colours (Light Purple)
Offered by case in your face

3.0 out of 5 stars good idea, great price but not very durable, 8 Jun. 2014
I was skeptical about this case because it's so cheap but when it first arrived I was pleasantly surprised. It's good quality for the price and the pull tab is a good idea. Unfortunately the product isn't very durable. After about a month of normal use (checking my phone throughout the day, carrying the case in a handbag etc) the tab snapped. Now I'm just using the case on it's own as a sort of sleeve which is fine. Can't really complain for the price I paid but worth considering if you don't want the faff of it breaking.

The Sky Is Everywhere
The Sky Is Everywhere
by Jandy Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally Beautiful, 3 May 2011
This review is from: The Sky Is Everywhere (Paperback)
If you've read any of the other reviews you will no doubt have realised that 'The Sky is Everywhere' is a fantastic book. Jandy Nelson simultaneously manages to show her incredible talent and distinctive writing style as well as creating characters the reader can really care about. This is no mean feat; I usually find that the artier and more 'beautiful' the prose, the harder it is to become invested in the story itself. This was a glittering exception to the rule.

What really inspired me to write this review, however, is how the book looks. It is literally beautiful. With an eye catching sky-blue cover and evocative title, it practically sung its way off the shelf and into my hands. I really loved the colour pages containing Lennie's (the main character) poems; it brought the book to life for me in a way I wouldn't have been able to predict. It's sometimes said that in a Kindle age publishers are looking for any kind of gimmick to sell books - snazzy cover art, interactive elements, novels converted into comic book format - but in the case of 'The Sky is Everywhere', I felt that the graphic design really helped tell Nelson's story. I found myself flicking forward or back to the pages with the poems, reading and re-reading them as I worked my way through the story. They turned Nelson's work into a book that I won't just read but cherish, a book that I'm proud to display in my home, a book that would make a perfect gift for a friend.

Don't wish list or borrow or download this book, but it. Then start reading, be absorbed and keep it forever.

Oxbridge Entrance: The Real Rules
Oxbridge Entrance: The Real Rules
by Elfi Pallis

4.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring advice, 25 May 2010
This book offers good advice for anybody who doesn't fit the standard 'Oxbridge Stereotype'. If you're nervous that you don't have the right background or contacts or money or education or accent then this is a good book to buy. It offers no fuss advice & is separated into sections which make it very easy to dip in or out of.

I personally found the book the most useful AFTER I had received my offer, because I panicked doing the whole 'Oh, my God, I'll never fit in' thing. Then I sat down and read some of the testimonials in the book of people like me who had loved Oxbridge and felt reassured.

Osiris Women's Bronx Trainer Green/Blue/Purple 2130969 6 UK
Osiris Women's Bronx Trainer Green/Blue/Purple 2130969 6 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars nice shoes, 28 Mar. 2010
I've been looking for some crazy multi-coloured high tops for ages, and these ones seemed to tick all the boxes. After angsting over which colour to go for (I chose the greenish ones as opposed to the red, but they're both awesome) I was really excited to get these through the post. Amazon's price is really good, because their RRP is almost double & you won't find high-tops of this quality for a much lower price anywhere else.
BUT (because there's always a 'but')
- when I first got these they hurt a LOT. I'm not really used to wearing high-tops and they absolutely killed at the back of my achilles heel. The skin was totally rubbed off and I had blisters. Ouch. I tried to fix that by stamping on the heels of the shoes to soften them & wearing thicker socks/legwarmers. The more I wear them though, the looser they're becoming & they don't hurt anymore. However, now they're almost too big (i'm a 5-6 and I bought a 6), so if you're in between sizes I would definitely size down.
All in all, great shoes for a brilliant price.

The Gothic Tradition (Cambridge Contexts in Literature)
The Gothic Tradition (Cambridge Contexts in Literature)
by David Stevens

4.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, 24 Feb. 2010
This is a well structured book that provides a good introduction to the study of the Gothic. It's accesible to A Level students - not written in academese! - and provides some good (albeit breif) analysis of certain key gothic texts such as Frankenstein. Sometimes it can be a bit random - there's a whole paragraph on gothic music - but generally it is focused on key gothic themees. A good companion for anybody starting to study Gothicism.

AQA English Literature B A2: Student's Book (Aqa English Literature for A2)
AQA English Literature B A2: Student's Book (Aqa English Literature for A2)
by Adrian Beard

3.0 out of 5 stars not very specific, but good to have an examiner's perspective, 24 Feb. 2010
The good part of this book is that it clearly shows you what the examiners are looking for. However because it has to cover all the possible texts on the reading list, it doesn't really go into depth on any of the books, so you'd be better off buying a specific study guide for each individual text. Also, there's a lot more on the Pastoral side of the course than the Gothic (which is the one I'm studying) so bear that in mind before buying the book. There's also quite a lot of information on the coursework, but as my school did that in September that is all useless to me now. Not a fault of the book itself, just something to think about - it's a better idea to buy it at the beginning of the A2 course, otherwise you'll end up paying full price for a book you only read a third of.