Profile for Rt Giles > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Day Is My Enemy
The Day Is My Enemy

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Prodigy With An Aggressive Twist!, 2 April 2015
This review is from: The Day Is My Enemy (Audio CD)
Firstly I'm a massive prodigy fan, ive seen them live 3 times (soon to be 4 as i have tickets for their upcoming tour) and have their back catalogue of albums.
I really don't understand people who have been slating this album. What did they expect? On offer here is everything you would expect in an album by prodigy: heavy baselines, drops, fast and aggressive electronic beats, guitars, Liam thrashing the synthesisers, and lets not forget the talents of both Maxim and Keith! Defiantly this album has a more aggressive sound to it than previous albums but its loud and in your face which is what the prodigy have always been about. It feels a natural progression from invaders must die which I felt was a return to form.
For me on this album prodigy have saved the best for last. The first 5 singles were good tracks but I think the rest of the album offers more exciting songs. The best tracks for me are Rhythm Bomb, Destroy, Rok-Weiler and Roadblox. Also Beyond the Deathray is a haunting triply hidden gem on this album which has a similar feel to Fat of the Lands Narayan (although it sounds completely different).
In my eyes they have not made a dud album. Arguably their weakest moment was always out numbered never out gunned which was still a great album but lacked Maxim and Keith's presence on the album due to their hiatus. This is a great album and if you love the prodigy you will like it. Skeptics stop living in the 90's we all love the classic prodigy era but things change and let's face it, (for me) this is still classic prodigy and just endorses they have stood the test of time!

.5: The Gray Chapter (Special Edition)
.5: The Gray Chapter (Special Edition)
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 1 Mar. 2015
Love all of slipknots music but must say this album fails to impress. It's very mediocre I don't think Joey is missing however the songs that do sound good aren't great songs that match up to classics such as sic, purity, left behind, my plague etc I don't know what it is, it's not awful by a long shot but nowhere near as good as the last 4 albums.
Doesn't take away the fact they are an awesome band live and if you get a chance see these guys live they are great! But I'm not sold on this one sorry guys!

The Last Unicorn [DVD] [1982]
The Last Unicorn [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Mia Farrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Cult classic!, 22 Feb. 2015
Watched this film as a child and I still love it as much now as I did when I first saw it. I am now 29. What is so great about this film is not just the great story that is on offer but also the great voice casting and it's timeless animation.
As a fan of manga and anime it definitely has a big nod towards eastern animation which (in my opinion) is far superior to most animated films which either look too child like or date quickly. This was a film that was made by true animators which I fear is becoming lost with all the modern computer CGI and Typical Pixar type films that are so popular today.
If you have not watched this film already watch it and make up your own mind and get lost in its beautiful animation and great story!
If you like this film I would highly recommend the studio gibli movies if you haven't already! Naussica, princess mononoki and Howells moving castel to name a few!

3.10 To Yuma [DVD]
3.10 To Yuma [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous ending to a decent film., 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 3.10 To Yuma [DVD] (DVD)
Decent film up until the last 20 minuets when the bad guy has a change of heart all of a sudden, helps Christian Bale's character and then shoots his own men and turns himself in. Seriously?!!!!! All the westerns I've seen I've not seen an ending so bad really don't bother!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [DVD] [2014]
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Andrew Garfield
Offered by Champion Toys

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother seriously!, 7 Jan. 2015
Gave up after 15 minuets on sky, way too cheesy Peter Parker way too cool and cocky! People slated the 3rd Spider-Man film but at least Toby Maguire IS like how Peter Parker is meant to be. Lets hope they don't bother anymore with this franchise. BRING BACK TOBY! Make a proper venom/ carnage spider movie!

Monster Bed, The
Monster Bed, The
by Jeanne Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Best kids book EVER!, 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Monster Bed, The (Paperback)
I'm 28 now and my mum used to read this book with me most nights and was my favorite book as a child still brings back memories even now!

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - Extended Edition [DVD] [2014]
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - Extended Edition [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Why all the fuss?!, 10 Sept. 2014
Why all the fuss about not following the story 100% ?

Most of the important parts of the story are here plus ALOT of bits that are only referenced in the appendixes of LOTR's. As a massive Rings and Hobbit fan (both books and films) I love Peter jackson's adaptations. Of course there are elements that are not in the book but isn't that artistic licence? If he made a mess off all the previous films I could understand people kicking off about the changes but to be honest, all the films (including this one) to date have been outstanding quality both as adaptations and as films. The attention to detail is phenomenal. People have done the same with George R.R Martins song of fire and ice series (which I have read and seen) and I feel people just want to kick off because they feel they have to because they have read the books, as long as it is done well what's the issue?!
Yes the film could have been made n two parts but I love Peter Jackson's films so I'm happy to sit through 9 hours or so as it is entertaining and isn't that what films are about???!!!!!
People should stop fussing, just because they have read the books doesn't give them license pick holes in a fantastic film trilogy/ series. But I guess you will never please everyone!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2015 10:02 AM GMT

48:13
48:13

2.0 out of 5 stars Fallen short of Kasabian's great song writing ability., 2 July 2014
This review is from: 48:13 (Audio CD)
Firstly i loved the first four kasabian albums and all had a similar "feel" to each other and that they had their own sound. Lest make no mistake kasabian are an "Alternative Rock Band" that are great live so see them live if you get the chance!
I have given this album a few listens hoping it would grow on me and sadly it has not. We all know through past kasabian albums there has been lots of experimentation with the electronic styles (which i like and this is great) but has not engulfed the album completely which has happened here. Personally i love electronic music as much as rock music, and have admired kasabian in the past for breaking down boundaries in music which you rarely get these days in a modern band.
This being said i feel this album is too electronically driven and is totally removed from their previous work. It feels more like kasabian meets Daftpunk meets Crystal Castles but without the punch or energy of Daftpunk or Crystal Castles. It just feels Bland and unmemorable unlike their previous work. You can't help but compare this album to their previous albums and it just doesn't stack up.
There are about 4 songs which i feel are "good" (Treat, Explodes, Eez-eh, Bow) but not great and would i be in a hurry to whack them on my kasabian play list? probably not.
I'm a big believer if something is not broke why fix it? I don't understand when bands get a winning formula they decide to change completely from what works for them and the true fans of the band. Muse when down that road with their last album.
I feel this album will be more suited to the "chart" listener and fear this work will be forgotten about just as quickly as people listen to it. I look forward to Kasabians next album, and hopefully we can look forward to seeing something more like the old kasabian which we all love.

It
It
by Stephen King

1.0 out of 5 stars A decent story ruined by a stupid ending, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: It (Paperback)
First I all I love Stephen king and have read many of his books and looked forward to this read as many people rave about this book.
Story starts of very slow but it good when it gets going until 80 pages or so from the end where 6 11 year old children have sex in a sewer with another 11 year old girl one after the other... What the hell is that all about adds nothing to the story and just ruins the last 1300 pages or so you have read. Totally unreal to think an 11 year old girl would willingly participate in such a thing. If we were talking about teenagers it would be bad enough but we are on about children here. I don't know what the hell Stephen King must have been on whilst Writing that part of the story and whats with all the 5* reviews did people just skip that part of the story? must have!BIG LET DOWN!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2015 11:30 AM BST

Live in Session
Live in Session

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Live Session, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Live in Session (MP3 Download)
Great band! although I was familiar with the material on this EP its a true rendition of what the band sound like live at a gig just without the atmosphere Phil and the boys create on stage, which must be seen live to appreciate. Great taster EP for those who are unfamiliar with the Movement (what the hell are you waiting for, get this!) but would also recommend this to any fan of the band to have in their music collection! More please Temperance Movement!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3