Profile for Bobby Bennett > Reviews

Content by Bobby Bennett

Bobby Bennett "Bob and Rose" (London)

Fitness Ball: Green, 26in/65cm Diameter, Includes 1 Ball +1 Pump + 1 Page Instruction Chart. No instructional DVD. (Exercise Gym Swiss Stability Ball)
Offered by Apple Round Global Trading LLC

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Green Ball, 21 Dec. 2014
Loses air gradually and have to top-up regularly.

At Home with Henry VIII - His life, his palaces, his wives
At Home with Henry VIII - His life, his palaces, his wives
by (Writer of guidebooks) Rose Shepherd

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book because it made Henry come alive as ..., 22 Nov. 2014
I loved this book because it made Henry come alive as an actual person, rather than as some alien historical figure that doesn't seem quite real. Also, it was definitely not boring like a lot of historical biographies are with verbose and pretentious analyses. Ms. Shepherd has made an interesting and informative account of a very important, influential and dynamic figure in our country's history. The pictures are quite spectacular, even having seen some previously, because they are interspersed imaginatively throughout, adding interest and pleasure. I feel that Ms. Shepherd has, above all, made Henry accessible, where we the reader can quite easily gain a perspective on Henry the man. It is entertaining, at times humorous, and above all beautifully written.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars Heading for The Hague, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Paperback)
This is storytelling of the highest order. Sure, I could be picky about a few things, but that's insignificant with this book. Now that I have the distance of a week or more since finishing it, and am not so emotional with it, I can be more circumspect. I am definitely planning to take my wife (who has just started the book) to The Hague for her 65th birthday in September, with the primary purpose of viewing the painting at the Mauritshuis.

Tetra APS150 Air Pump
Tetra APS150 Air Pump

5.0 out of 5 stars Pump It Up, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Tetra APS150 Air Pump (Misc.)
This is the most reliable, quietest pump I've had in over 30 years of fishkeeping. This is the second one I've owned and, frankly, I don't quite know why I ever chose differently.

Everlast Mens Pair Ankle Weights - Black, 5 Lb
Everlast Mens Pair Ankle Weights - Black, 5 Lb

1.0 out of 5 stars misleading, 23 Nov. 2012
I wrongly just assumed that '5 lb' meant per ankle. How disappointed I was to see that they are only 2 1/2 lb per ankle. My fault probably, but I feel it was a misleading description.

The Uses of Pessimism: and the Danger of False Hope
The Uses of Pessimism: and the Danger of False Hope
by Roger Scruton

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrutonator, 27 Dec. 2011
In Scruton's book 'Gentle Regrets', he devotes some thought as to how a person's name can influence them in certain ways, in their behaviour or life choices. He refers to his own given Christian name, Vernon, and why he chose to use Roger instead. This so-called 'nominative determinism' has recently been a topic of conversation in various national media. When Scruton was doing a segment for a televised arts program on the concept of beauty a year or so ago, a well-known arts correspondent for a national paper, and also a contributor to this series on beauty, took huge offence at Scruton's views, which were at odds with his own. He wrote a nasty little piece in the Sunday 'Culture' section attacking Scruton on a personal, as well as intellectual level, and, attempted to make a mockery of Scruton's name, ending up showing himself in a very bad light and proving that he is not half the writer and critic, much less the thinker, that Roger Scruton is. The word 'scrutiny' derives from the Latin 'scrutari', meaning to search. I wonder if the name 'scruton' has evolved from some derivation of a scrutiniser? The Uses of Pessimism is another fine example of his ability to search deeply the meanings and nuances of our culture, language and understanding of our world.

Diamonds & Rust
Diamonds & Rust

5.0 out of 5 stars Raining diamonds...., 4 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
Such beautifully poetic lyrics poignantly sung with crystalline precision. We are enjoying this no end.