ARRAY(0xb3a3dd74)

Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (West Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones
Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Possible To Repair After Washing It In The Washing Machine, 18 Jan 2014
I put my first MW600 through the wash less than a week after it arrived. I'd left it clipped to a shirt pocket and hadn't noticed my stupid mistake until after the wash had finished.

The device itself is pretty nifty and was purchased because the headphone jack on my phone was starting to become a little faulty. The sound on it is great and the screen is a must if you want to use it to listen to music. The controls are easy enough to use, though I'm not sure whether I'd have preferred a simpler volume control pair of buttons to the touch sensitive strip, but the strip does offer a pretty quick way of 'sliding' the volume all the way down (or up)...but it's not as easy to use without looking at it as the play/forward/backward buttons are.

As for repairing the device, I first dried it out, leaving it a couple of days in a dry and reasonably warm place. The unit still didn't charge, so I decided I would take it apart (didn't have much to lose at this point). I wasn't sure where or if there were any screws holding it all together, but luckily there is a nice YouTube video which some foreign chap has created (search for "disassemble mw600") demonstrating how it's done. I didn't take the device completely apart, just enough so that I had access to the battery. Some rust/oxide/whatever had built up between one end of the battery and the contact of the MW600, which was easy enough to clean off with a bit of wire wool (eg a brillo pad). The unit still wouldn't charge, nor would it turn on.

The next thing I tried, after searching the Web and doing a bit of reading, was to give the unit (WITHOUT the battery) a bath in some white spirit. The idea of this is that it will dissolve any contaminants which have been left on the circuits from the washing powder/liquids. After swishing the unit about in white spirit for a few minutes, I took it out and left it to dry for a day. I then put the battery back in and...still no luck. I put all the parts into a plastic food bag, which I left open and then put it in a cupboard, thinking that the parts may come in useful for spares (I decided to by another MW600). Today (a couple of months later), I decided to put the battery back in and see if the device would charge and it did! So I've now re-assembled the unit and now have another working MW600.

I've knocked off a star from the bluetooth receiver as a device this small, which is supposed to be attached to clothing, has a very high probability of going through the wash, versus other larger pieces of personal electrical equipment (eg a phone) - so it should really be better sealed and waterproof. Reading other comments for this device, I'm certainly far from the only person who's made the mistake of putting it through a wash cycle. Heck, I use this device down the gym and, depending on where you click it, it's likely to get drenched in sweat and you wouldn't be too happy if the device broke because it got a bit of sweat in it (though, perhaps it's more waterproof with a headphone jack plugged in).

Sony Ericsson HiFi Bluetooth® Headset MW600, Black
Sony Ericsson HiFi Bluetooth® Headset MW600, Black

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-inch Tablet (White) - (Quad Core 1.9GHz Processor, 3GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean) (New Edition for 2014)
Offered by GameCyberShop
Price: 416.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Read This Before Rooting It, 13 Jan 2014
The tablet has a great screen and is pretty light. Comparing it to my Galaxy Tab 8.9, I think the 8.9 form factor is a little better so it's a shame you have to choose between a Note 8" (and an older spec) or 10.1" - 8.9" is the killer size for me. I don't use the stylus (or S-Pen) a great deal, but it's nice that it's there and you can kill a few minutes by starting up the bundled paint app.

I used to hate the virtual buttons / notification bar in my Tab 8.9, but now kind of miss it - when you use the Note 10.1 in portrait, you're always having to search out the back button. Plus, their centred location isn't great when in landscape mode, either. The great thing about the black button/notification bar on the Tab 8.9 is that you could always hide it (with something like GMD Gesture Control, which requires root). I wouldn't have guessed that I'd have preferred the virtual buttons (which take up extra screen space) before buying this. You don't miss it until it's gone and all that.

The reason why the device drops three stars though, is that Samsung punish you if you root it (rooting, for those who don't know, essentially gives you full control over your device, including being able to uninstall some of the bundled applications and run certain apps which require special permissions. It's one of the first things that I do on all Android devices that I have). The only available rooting method I've seen at the time of writing this trips a hardware fuse on the device. Once this fuse has been tripped, there's no (known) way to set it back, and given that it's implemented in hardware, it's probably impossible to reset with software.

When the hardware fuse has blown, then Knox will apparently complain about the device no longer being secure (Knox is Samsungs attempt to create a secure Android container - which is encrypted - within Android from which to run 'secure' applications that can be downloaded from the special Knox app store). In addition, Samsung support have informed me that over the air updates will not be applied to the device and that the user will not be notified about them. They did say that a user will be able to manually update the firmware with Kies.

On top of all this, Samsung support have informed me that once this hardware fuse has blown, they consider the device to have been tampered with and your warranty void! I'm a technical person and write software for a living and find this stance to be absolutely crazy. Yes, you could perhaps overclock your CPU and break your device - but why not put in a hardware flag for when someone attempts to do that? And who's to say that some software bug in Android or an app from the market / Google Play couldn't cause something to overheat and destroy your device? Luckily, in the UK, all new electrical items have a 1 year warranty with the seller (ie Amazon) and my non-legal opinion is that rooting a device would not be enough to get Amazon out of that warranty, especially if you've stuck to the official firmware (plus, Amazon are usually pretty awesome when it comes to customer care).

I did also wonder what would happen if your hardware fuse was faulty? It's a hardware component after all and will thus have a certain number of failures within the first year warranty period, even without someone "tampering" with their device. So if you sent your device back to Samsung (instead of getting Amazon to sort out the issue) because their hardware fuse had a problem, what would they do? Refuse to replace the device and accuse you of tampering with it?

The upshot of all this is, that I haven't bothered to root my device and thus cannot perform full device backups from apps like My Backup Pro (though you can apparently perform them with a PC and using the software development kit) and GMD Gesture Control (allows swipes and pinches to be used instead of the home, back, etc buttons). Probably the last Samsung device I buy and had I been warned about this hardware Knox fuse, I wouldn't have bought this in the first place. Such a shame because it is a nice device.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 12:04 PM GMT

ElecShield Premium Screen Protectors for Samsung New Galaxy Note 10.1 2nd Tablet 2014 Edition Version (3x Anti-glare)
Offered by ESonline
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Anti-Glare Version Not Very Good, 27 Dec 2013
This screen protector is easy enough to apply and has good instructions (ie roll the backing paper off bit by bit as you fit the protector). On a large tablet screen you will almost never get all the bubbles out and you'll need a clean room to avoid getting any dust under the screen.

The real problem with this screen protector is that the anti-glare version causes slight visual noise when reading something on the screen. This is a massive shame when you have such a gorgeous and high pixel density screen as that on the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. I've never noticed this problem on any other matte screen protectors when I've had them on other devices, so this is a bit of a disappointment. I will try the clear version to see if that is any better.

Voguecase Slim Fit Flexible X-TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Crystal White
Offered by MedievalMedia
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Silicone Case For Note 10.1 2014, 27 Dec 2013
Fits tablet well, will protect the edges from minor knocks and the back from scratches. Cut outs and button covers are all in the right places. A little expensive for what it is, but at the time of buying, the only choice available.

Dark Eden (Unabridged)
Dark Eden (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd
Price: 16.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 7 Dec 2013
It's rare that a story is so bad that I request my Audible credit back (The Passage has the honour of being the only other book I've done that for), but I couldn't even stand two hours of this rubbish. I'm not sure whether I've accidentally downloaded a children's book, but the language used in this book seems to be aimed at someone with very under developed language skills. And the narrators don't help either. Some of the time it sounds like a Ricky Gervais piss take.

The story itself seems to revolve around some colony of Earth who have lost all their technology, education and spend their days talking to each other like they've taken a hundred-too-many knocks to the head. The narrators really do sound like they are reading this story to very, very young children too.

REEBOK ZR8 Cross Trainer - Black
REEBOK ZR8 Cross Trainer - Black
Price: 335.38

5.0 out of 5 stars No Resistance? Read This For Fix, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer (Sports)
If you're having problems with the resistance, please see the end of this review.

Haven't used it in anger yet, but so far it seems like a good machine and is very easy to use. It's almost, but not quite, gym quality. The resistance is good, though not quite as strong as the ones I've used in gyms (and usually have those on the hardest setting for the entire workout). However, at around 250, it's a fraction of the price of any gym machine and should last a decent length of time. The stride is okay, though isn't adjustable (I'm a 6'1" man). This machine should do very nicely for those nights when you just can't be bothered with the gym.

With regards to machine assembly, it was all straightforward enough, but will take around an hour or two. The instructions are clear and the pack containing the bolts and screws clearly labels each item contained within. If you can't find a screw in one of the two packs, it's probably already screwed into the frame. The one problem I did have was after the machine was assembled: the display came on fine and seemed to work, but the resistance setting did not seem to have any real effect. I called the freephone number on the back of the instructions (a nice move having that) and they said that the servo motor was probably broken and to e-mail in to arrange for an engineer. I e-mailed in and was then asked for my receipt (hadn't forwarded correctly in my first e-mail). I forwarded my Amazon confirmation, but as a PDF and was then asked for some details including serial number. Was a bit annoyed that they didn't ask for this in the first reply, it added another day delay.

An engineer was then booked (who I spoke to before coming out). I wasn't in when the engineer came to fix the device, however it turns out that the machine wasn't broken at all - I simply hadn't pushed the connector into the computer unit hard enough (apparently there's a click) which would have allowed the motor to be given the signal to adjust the magnetic resistance. I was told that this happens all the time by the engineer who called me afterwards, but it does beg the question why this isn't included as a possible problem in the instruction booklet and why nobody on their support line/e-mail mentioned it. Reebok (or whoever the company is who makes this machine) could have saved themselves some money on sending out an engineer, but at least that was better than me having to pack up the item and return it to Amazon when it wasn't even broken. When everything is working, you can hear a quiet noise from the servo motor when resistance is changed (which doesn't occur if you haven't plugged in the lead into the computer properly).

VivoBarefoot Evo Hydro Phobic Mesh Running Shoes - 11
VivoBarefoot Evo Hydro Phobic Mesh Running Shoes - 11
Offered by Galaxy Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Running Shoes, 27 May 2013
Have never been a runner and found on the occasions I had tried that my lower back quickly started to hurt. I'd also start running and keep needing to stop. Wearing running trainers (the kind you buy from Up & Running, so decent makes) just never worked out. Then I discovered Vivo Barefoot a few years back after seeing a similar product with individual toes (which I thought looked pretty stupid) and I have to say that they are absolutely amazing. They have really thin soles which are just thick enough to protect your feet from gravel and the occasional sharp rock which you might find when running along the side of a non-concrete canal path.

These shoes essentially allow you to run as if you were barefoot, which is good because your foot has evolved to hit the ground with the front of your foot first, with the your foot muscles preventing your heel from banging on the ground. Contrast this with normal running trainers which will have thick soles and cause you to land on your heel, sending shock straight up your leg and to your knee. You may find that when you first start running with the Vivo Barefoot that afterwards muscles in your feet ache a bit, but this is due to modern footwear causing them to atrophy, so you'll quickly build them back up. You may also find that you strike your heal on the ground, but you'll soon get out of that habit.

I think these things are great and have allowed me to run and I definitely don't get any pain in my lower back. I bought a second pair to wear in the gym and I even bought a non-running version of these to drive in as the thin soles mean that you can feel the pedals much easier. I just hope that they never stop making these!

TomTom GO LIVE 825 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
TomTom GO LIVE 825 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
Price: 186.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Pile of Rubbish, 27 May 2013
I purchased this device to replace my Mio Spirit 689 as I was after a sat nav with a decent traffic avoidance system for a daily commute. Having heard about how good TomTom are from various people and on the Web, I was expecting great things. I was, however, sorely disappointed with TomTom which, other than the active traffic, was worse than my Mio in almost every way. The problems include:

- Battery charging notification repeatedly displays when the device is fully charged. Sometimes this happens every minute, sometimes after five minutes, sometimes not at all. Contacted TomTom support who are the most hopeless bunch of half-wits you're ever likely to have to deal with and they told me (in broken English) that it indeed was a 'feature added to the latest application' (by application, I presume they mean the firmware). So, unless you drive around with the device just on battery power, once the device is fully charged you have to keep putting up with the charging notification repeatedly appearing (and by default the display changes to a warning threatening to turn the device off. This can be disabled, as can apparently the screen dimming, which happens just before the battery charging notification). There is a chance I had a faulty unit, but given TomTom's response to me, I'm not so sure.

- The speaker isn't loud enough. I like to listen to metal when I'm driving about and having music on anything but the lowest volume will drowned out directions. My Mio was way louder.

- Numerical roundabout exits are not given onscreen - only as a spoken command, which you may not hear if you're listening to music or may not even be given in time as happened to me in York (admittedly though, that only happened once). You do get an arrow icon indicating the general direction of the exit (eg a circle with an arrow pointing straight up), but this icon may mean the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc exit depending on the roundabout and if two exits are close together, it's a wild guess as to which the icon means. My Mio device not only clearly stated which exit to take, but the icon was actually a decent representation of the roundabout with how many exits it had, clearly showing which one you should be taking all in the same icon.

- By default, the device is set not to warn you with and audible alert when you are speeding, though this can be changed in the settings, however it's not immediately obvious. Go into settings and see that 'alert when going over the speed limit' is already ticked and then wonder why you never get any alerts. What you have to do is press next which then presents you with a screen to pick a sound - which by default, for some reason known only to TomTom, is 'silence'.

- The updater software is naff. It installs in your system tray (next to your clock) and will notify you that there is one update available. However, until you actually connect your device, you have absolutely no way of knowing what the update is (eg 'GPS Quick Fix' updates were released several times a week and not something that seemed to make any difference to my device - I was only interested in new map updates).

- TomTom support are hopeless, but then sadly that goes for a lot of big companies these days who outsource their support to barely literate idiots. I'd actually have a lot more respect for a company that just told me that they aren't interested in hearing from you and if you need support, to get lost (which would be especially appropriate for TomTom) as it would certainly save me a lot of time.

- Finally, the active traffic in the two weeks I used it, didn't work on two mornings. TomTom reckoned this may be a problem with their service provider (Vodafone I believe) - but whoever's to blame, it's just not good enough.

On the upside, the shop from where I purchased it were good enough to swap the device for a Garmin with Digital Traffic which has free traffic for life and works by receiving digital radio signals so shouldn't suffer from the same problems as TomTom's active traffic. Hopefully it will prove to be a good service and my initial test of the device certainly leads me to think it's way ahead of the TomTom.

Update
------

I have to say that my Garmin Nuvi 2548 is way better than this pile of junk and would highly recommend it over the TomTom. The Digital Traffic, while not perfect, is pretty damn good (I'd say better than TomTom's Active Traffic - plus it's never had service interruptions and is free) and my journey time is usually 5-10 minutes faster, which means it usually takes me about 45 minutes in a morning to get to work, rather than nearly an hour.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 6:58 PM BST

Dynamode USB Sound Card 7
Dynamode USB Sound Card 7
Offered by AMA Store -- Ship from HongKong
Price: 2.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Work As PS3 Headphone Converter, 12 April 2013
Having read some reviews on here saying that this device worked with their PS3, allowing the use of headsets, I purchased this thinking that it would work as a way to allow me to listen to games via my headphones to save waking the neighbours up late at night. However, the PS3 will not output normal game sound (that normally comes out of your TV) to this device, so it wasn't suitable for what I wanted. Note, this is a problem with the PS3 rather than the device itself.

I tried the device on a Windows 8 laptop and it seems to work okay. Haven't tried it for any length of time, so couldn't really comment on the sound quality, but it is a cheap device, so if you want it for a PC, it wouldn't hurt to try it out. Build quality seems okay, not brilliant mind, but again, it's a cheap device.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3