Profile for MissShinx > Reviews

World of Geekcraft: Step-By-Step Instructions for 25 Quirky Craft Projects
World of Geekcraft: Step-By-Step Instructions for 25 Quirky Craft Projects
by Susan Beal

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Projects with a Range of Crafts..., 3 April 2012
I bought this book after getting more into crafts recently, and being rather geeky myself. It contains 25 projects and lists them according to difficulty. The crafts range from knitting and sewing to creating a wooden mouse pad!

Projects include:
- Star Wars Terrariums
- LOST tin can Telephones and Swan Station Logbook
- Pac-Man Fever Wii-mote belt and holster
- Periodic Table of the Elements cozies
- Harry Potter Baby and Toddler Costume
- Secret Message Quilt
- Vintage Sci-Fi Book Cozie

This book has some nice projects, however I find it annoying that you tend to need different equipment for them - e.g. I really wanted to make one of the necklaces but I didn't have any of the equipment so didn't bother buying even more equipment that I probably won't use again!

Personally, I don't think I'll be making much from this book - I've read it and had it for a while but I think I'm going to just make the vintage Sci-Fi book cozie! Perhaps I am just not geeky enough...

Overall - if you are into many crafts and consider yourself a geek, you will love it! However, not really for me as it has too wide a range of equipment needed. 3/5

Bento MODE COLOR Men Square 900ml - Orange
Bento MODE COLOR Men Square 900ml - Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Bento Box, 12 Feb 2012
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend, and it has ensured that we make a bento box for lunch most days!

It is a good size for a lunch box, has one divider and a space for chopsticks. The colour is lovely - not traditional but I bought it because of the orange colour! The good thing about this box, is that it is tighter than most so I am not as worried about my lunch spilling in my bag.

Overall a good size and fun coloured bento box - 5/5

The Silver Bridge
The Silver Bridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice story for the price, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Silver Bridge (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on kindle as something to read inbetween lectures and whatnot.

I enjoyed the story and it served its purpose, however I wasn't particularly gripped. The story can be a bit predictable but I enjoyed the writing and the different characters throughout. The story follows a rock star and an actress and their 'love' story.

Overall, a good enjoyable read for when you just want a nice story, however nothing particularly gripping or addictive about it. I would buy another story by the author, although it would depend on the price.

Hence, 3/5

Vegan Pie: In the Sky
Vegan Pie: In the Sky
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again.., 3 Dec 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pie: In the Sky (Paperback)
After their two previous vegan dessert books - Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World: 75 Dairy-free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar I thought 'What will they do next?' and I was really excited when I found Vegan Pie in the sky.

I'm not actually vegan myself, although I try to reduce the amount of animal products I eat and my family and I have several allergies. This book is packed full of homely fruit pies and fantastic chocolate and other more decadent creamy pies that are just delicious. I've always wanted to make pies, but with allergies to egg and dairy it has been a problem! Their guide to pie making is also incredibly useful, and even if you want to add your own random filling, their pie crusts are delicious.

I actually bought this book to make some desserts for christmas - and what a choice! I'm torn between chocolate hazenut truffle pie, 'grasshopper' mint chocolate pie, banoffee pie and so many more! If my waistline gets any worse this christmas, these guys are to blame.

As with their previous dessert books, they are American. However, I like measuring things in cups rather than grams and it doesn't take long to figure out some of the ingredients. And I cannot wait to try and make the American classic pumpkin pie.

5/5 I love this book, and I am slowly but surely working my way through all the vegan pie I can!

Virals: (Virals 1) (Tory Brennan)
Virals: (Virals 1) (Tory Brennan)

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable change of audience & direction from Reichs, 3 Dec 2011
I have read several of Kathy Reichs' other books, and have always found her to be an interesting writer. I found them slightly heavy going sometimes so I decided to give 'Virals' a try as it was a different series.

Although Virals is aimed at a younger audience I found it very enjoyable. I don't quite understand why readers seem annoyed at it being for young adults, yes the story is less realistic than her other series, but I didn't find there was a lack of story line or anything particularly 'childish'.

Kathy Reichs has managed to write a different type of book with the same gripping story line as her previous novels, and I am really impressed. I purchased the kindle version (for full price of ~£8) and couldn't stop reading it. At one point I was slightly concerned she was going in the direction of the whole vampire and werewolf trend at the moment, but I assure you she is not. With her own unique twist it's a great read and if you are a Kathy Reich fan, give it a go! It is under a fiver now for the kindle version!

I give it 5/5, a great story, little less heavy and realistic than previous books but that didn't stop me from enjoying it thoroughly. Whether or not others agree, I loved it.

Rude Chilli Seeds - Grow Your Own Chilli Willies!
Rude Chilli Seeds - Grow Your Own Chilli Willies!
Offered by Findmeagift

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Funny Gift, 1 Nov 2011
This is a great gift for those with a sense of humour! They come in a nicely presented pack with 6 little red pots and soil to plant them in - which I was pretty impressed with. I left them on the kitchen table when I first got them (just in the pack) and everyone who visited had a bit of a giggle!

It must be said, I have not yet seen them grow, however as it is a gift giver, I give it 5/5 as it will bring a smile to someone's face! I wouldn't give them to my gran though.

Domiknitrix
Domiknitrix
by Jennifer Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Patterns, Lots of Equipment needed!, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Domiknitrix (Paperback)
As a beginner knitter I apprechiate that the book is taken up with 'how to knit' for about half of it. However, I also apprechiate that if you are experienced then this would be frustrating!

The book is filled with some awesome patterns that as a student I would actually like to knit - such as a Mohawk hat and some great tops with a twist! This I thought was pretty important, and probably the best feature of the book. The second best was the way it is written and how the techniques are explained - it's about being a good knitter technique wise and 'ripping up the yarn if it doesn't behave'. I thought this was quite a refreshing approach.

Despite all this, I gave it a 3/5 due to the fact that as a beginner I find it hard to follow sometimes - it's a bit sqaushed up into as little pages as possible which annoys me. You also need a lot of equipment that as a beginner I didn't have. There's only pillows that involve just normal knitting needles - without extra zippers etc etc! This was terribly frustrating until I finally bought some circular needles as I don't need more pillows.

The writer has a system of ranking the patterns according to difficulty, however a lot is expected of novice knitters.

Overall - I like the book and the patterns, they are really interesting and a different approach to knitting however, I had to give it 3/5 because of the other bits that are quite frustrating as a beginner.

Knit Pro Symfonie Wood Circular Needle Interchangeable Starter Set
Knit Pro Symfonie Wood Circular Needle Interchangeable Starter Set
Offered by Bits and Bobbins

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Starter Needles, 14 Oct 2011
I bought this needle set as I wanted to start using circular needles. I really like the fact that they are interchangeable and come in a little pouch to keep them in. They are also better looking than the normal circular needles.

The only criticism I have is that they sometimes come undone when I'm knitting - I have to carefully screw them back in, so check that while you are knitting. However, that could just be me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2011 5:00 PM GMT

HotScamp Premium Karl Orange Head Pilkington Mens Black T-Shirt
HotScamp Premium Karl Orange Head Pilkington Mens Black T-Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this shirt., 8 Oct 2011
I love this shirt. It's comfy and warm and best of all, it's got Karl Pilkington's face on the front.

If there's anything I'd have to say that's annoying,it's that it's a men's size and I'm not a man! However, I don't mind if it's baggy even though I bought a men's small. Also, it's pretty bright orange but that's just a warning incase you don't like bright colours, not a negative point. Hence, 5/5.

What more can I say, it's an awesome shirt!

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Aneeta Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for beginners, 14 Aug 2011
I randomly decided to start knitting about a week ago and am now well on my way thanks to this book. It has very clear instructions and lots of pictures to help you along. The projects develop your skills and get more interesting! There are loads of helpful hints and what to do if your project goes a little wrong.

I found the big spaced out pages to be much nicer than another book I bought that was a bit too squashed in to understand for a beginner - the other one didn't have as much pictures either so was a lot harder to follow. The basic techniques provided in the beginning of this book are clear and easy to understand which is very helpful for beginners. The introducing to equipment was also well presented and written.

I highly recommend this book, as the author is a knitting teacher who has tried and tested these projects well and knows what she is talking about and the best advice to give as you develop your knitting skills!

Page: 1 | 2