Profile for Paul Roberts > Reviews

Content by Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts "Paul Roberts" (Irvine, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Tamron F1.8 VC 45mm USD Lens for Canon - Black
Tamron F1.8 VC 45mm USD Lens for Canon - Black
Offered by Camera Centre UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly artful optically, excellent build, solid AF with central AF cluster, some issues with outer AF Points, 21 Nov. 2015
In my quest for a dependable 50-ish lens that also has great sharpness, drawing and bokeh, I bought this lens more or less as soon as it came into the UK (Amazon themselves didn't have stock). I've tried it on my two full frame bodies, 5DII and 5DIII, and I love it. It's not perfect, but it's far and away the best 50-ish prime I've ever had.

If you haven't read any formal reviews yet, I strongly recommend the following two. The first by TDP is a dry, clinical evaluation of the lens, while the second addresses the lens' artistic potential. In their own ways, they're both pretty much on target from my experience.

Now for my experience with it. First the pros:

- The build quality is fantastic (metal barrel, anti-weather sealing).
- The combination of an unusually short minimum focus distance and really good image stabilisation opens up all kinds of new shooting possibilities without having to changes lenses.
- The rendering is really, really nice; even wide open at f1.8 the subject can be critically sharp pretty much anywhere in the frame and everything else just melts away beautifully into creamy bokeh. It's far superior to the Canon 50 1.4 and 1.8 offerings, not to mention the Sigma 50 DG EX (pre-Art). Though I've never tried the Sigma 50 Art or the Canon 50 1.2L personally, from looking at example shots I'd have to say that the Tamron sits somewhere between them; sharper than the Canon, less clinical than the Sigma.
- With my 5DIII the central bank of 21 cross-type AF points seem to be as dependable as they are with a good Canon lens. I only ever use the centre point on my 5DII and that's fine too, but the lens is definitely at its best on the newer 5DIII.
- I really like the oddball focal length of 45mm. I've shot with the old pre-art Sigma 50 1.4 which also has a wider field of view than it's 50mm badge suggests. I find a strict 50 (like the Canon 50 1.4 and 1.8s) too restrictive, and 35 a little too wide. 45mm hits the sweet spot for me.
- Buy from a proper UK dealer (not a grey import) and register online within two months of purchase and you get a 5 year warranty.

Now some of the negatives:
- CA. It's quite easy to provoke some CA with this lens. Purple fringing is pretty minor (much less pronounced than with my Canon 85 1.8) and easy to remove with Lightroom. Green fringing, particularly in bokeh, presents much more of a problem. It's just part of the character of the lens and from what I've read its even more of an issue with the Canon 50 1.2. I can live with it, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
- AF with the outermost cross-type points. Once you move away from the central bank of cross-type points, focusing become less assured, especially with subjects that are a moderate distance away (say 4m or more) and/or lacking contrast. In other conditions (close distance, high contrast in good light) they're fine, but otherwise I wouldn't trust them for a shot that counts.
- AF speed. A lot of people have slated the lens for its slow focusing. Truly, it's not at all bad unless you end up racking from one extreme to the other. But if you're wanting something that moves as fast as say the Canon 85 1.8 or the 70-200 Ls then you're going to be disappointed.
- "Onion" effect in bokeh balls. It's not apparent all the time, but it does show up with some out-of-focus light sources, such as coloured LED lights on a Christmas tree.

So that sums it up. Every lens is a compromise one way or another, but this Tamron is the Goldilocks lens for me at this focal length.

L-Glutamine 500mg 90 Capsules - High Strength Targeted Release Amino Acid Supplement - UK Manufactured GMP Consistent Quality
Offered by Troo Health Care

5.0 out of 5 stars Well priced (at time of writing), and works as well as any l-glutamine I've taken in the past, 17 Nov. 2015
Good price for the capsule count, definitely helps me recover better from workouts (can sustain 6 training days a week when using l-glutamine, have to fall back to 5 after a couple of weeks without). I tend to feel more benefit from capsule form rather than loose powder, though this could well be due to me always taking the powder in a drink and loosing some in the dregs. Certainly less hassle as capsules!

Ballistix 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 Sport UDIMM 240 Pin Memory Module Kit
Ballistix 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 Sport UDIMM 240 Pin Memory Module Kit
Offered by SELECT ELITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, trouble-free memory upgrade, 21 Oct. 2015
Bought this as an upgrade for my aging but still capable I7-920 system, taking me from 6GB to 12. Although my processor is heavily overclocked my memory is run within spec, and all I was really wanting from these sticks was a hassle-free bump in available memory. They've certainly delivered just that. I've had them installed for nearly nine months now and haven't had a single hardware glitch from them, and what's more they tolerate a lower voltage than my previous set, so my case has run a tiny bit cooler with them in it.

Cuddly Tug & Squeak Fox Dog Puppy Pet Toy Chew Stuffing Free No Mess Skinneez
Cuddly Tug & Squeak Fox Dog Puppy Pet Toy Chew Stuffing Free No Mess Skinneez
Offered by the-home-fusion-company

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault the price, good squeaker, but not really up to vigorous tugging, 21 Oct. 2015
After nearly four months of supervised play - alternating it with other toys - this fox is *still* squeaking and entertaining my ruffian Beagle girl, which has to be some kind of record. That said, I found within seconds of our very first play session that this toy isn't really built to withstand vigorous tugging; the material and stitching ripped a little the moment my Beagle gave it a solid pull. So from that point on it's been shaken, thrown, and squeaked, but tugging has been off the menu.

However, for less than £4, and with a squeaker that hasn't given up yet, I have to say that this has been a good and surprisingly long-lived purchase.

QE2 [Remastered]
QE2 [Remastered]

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd nearly forgotten how much I loved this album, 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: QE2 [Remastered] (Audio CD)
I got the vinyl version of QE2 when it first came out, and nearly wore it out. Now I've finally got the CD version, I find myself playing some of the tracks over and over again just as I did all those years ago. I wouldn't claim that this album is in the same league as Tubular Bells, Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge (the latter being Oldfield's very best work to my ears) but.. there's something really accessible and addictive about some of the tracks, and I'd say it's got a more uplifting vibe than his earlier work. At the same time it still plays more like a continuous body of music than the albums that followed it.

I just can't believe it took me so long to get this in CD form after I ditched all of my vinyl. Still, better late than never.

Bluetooth Headphones, Vansky Streamline Series Bluetooth Headset Noise Cancelling Headphones w/ Microphone Running, Sports, Gym Sweatproof Wireless Earphones for iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 5 5c 5s 4 and Android (Black)
Offered by Vansky Official

4.0 out of 5 stars Not flawless, but exceptional value, with great sound for running, 5 Oct. 2015
Bought these exclusively for running outside and occasional gym use. They have some quirks and issues (see below), but overall they're about the best headphones I've yet had for this purpose, and certainly exceptional value. And yet, though I'm very happy with them thus far, I can't in good conscience give them 5 stars due to the lack of the USB port cover on something that's supposed to be "sweatproof". However, a sliver of tape (e.g. electrical tape) fixes this oversight.

Pros:
- Surprisingly good audio, even the bass is quite rich without being heavy handed
- Exceptionally light
- Really stable in the ears, no falling out and no noise from footfall shock
- Bluetooth performance good, certainly on par with my previous headphones
- Excellent value - got mine for £10 thanks to a weekend promotional voucher code, but would still have been good at £14.99
- 3 bud sizes in two colours (white & black) so whatever size of buds you use, you have a spare set.

Cons:
- No cover for the USB port; this is NOT a good idea for "sweatproof" headphones. To hopefully prevent an early death due to sweat/rain ingress I've stuck a sliver of black electrical tape over the port and the mic opening (I don't want/need the phone call functionality).
- Controls are a little fiddly due to small size and curvy design of the earphones themselves, but I'll probably get used to it
- The flat wire that joins the two earphones is overly long and does have a habit of dragging a little on my neck when I turn my head (as noted by another reviewer). However, once I've got a good sweat going this ceases to be a problem.
- Somewhat prone to windrush noise when running directly into a strong headwind
- Supplied USB cable is a *really* tight fit in the headphone port. I was frightened I might break the headphones as I plugged in the cable for their first charge. Loosens up with use fortunately.

Just plain quirky:
- While pressing the buttons I somehow caused the next/prev track announcement to switch from American to Chinese. Oddly this is actually an improvement, as the US voice was way too loud and horribly distorted. Plus, I now know how to say "The next song" in Chinese ;)

Mueller Weight Lifting Chalk
Mueller Weight Lifting Chalk
Price: £2.20 - £68.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The one to get if you like solid chalk that doesn't crumble too easily, 29 Sept. 2015
I'm a regular chalk user, doing bar calisthenics training three times a week. I got sick of my last cheap block of chalk continually crumbling under the lightest pressure, so I tried the more upmarket Mueller blocks and they're a huge improvement. They may be a bit more expensive, but the blocks last longer because all the chalk goes on your hands instead of on the floor or into the air.

Beaphar Double Ended Toothbrush
Beaphar Double Ended Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Best doggy brush so far: durable, easy to grip with wet fingers, cleans teeth well, 29 Sept. 2015
A number of dog toothbushes I've used in the past quickly loose their shape when chewed, but these Beaphar ones are different. I get about 8 months out of each one, brushing my two Beagles gnashers at least every other day. I got complemented by the vet on our last inspection so they're definitely doing their job as far as cleaning goes.

- The bristles retain their shape even when the brush head gets regularly mashed during chew attempts
- The handle has a rubber-like coating to prevent slippage when there's a lot of salivation
- Tolerated well by my Beagles

Ronseal HPWFN550G 550g High Performance Wood Filler - Natural
Ronseal HPWFN550G 550g High Performance Wood Filler - Natural
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Plastic Padding For Wood, With Yellow Colouring, 24 Aug. 2015
I got this to firm up a couple of rotten areas on our deck, after having already used Ronseal's wet rot treatment. As soon as I opened up the tub I recognised the smell and texture of the stuff: it's exactly like PlasticPadding "Chemical Metal ", save for the colour. And that explains why some people have been really happy with it, and others much less so.

From a structural point of view, this stuff is brilliant: it sets rock hard very quickly, dramatically increasing the strength of the damaged wood, and I have no doubt that the repair will last for years. From an aesthetic point of view however, it could be a big disappointment. How the final repair looks comes down to two things: your skill in applying the stuff, and the colour, which is quite a warm yellow.

In my case, I did a fair job of filling the gaps in the remaining sound wood (which isn't easy because the filler is very sticky - sticks to your fingers and whatever tool you use), grooved it to match the existing decking just before it set, and sanded it quite well afterwards. The colour however sticks out like a sore thumb. If you're going to be painting/staining it after filling then obviously the filler's natural colour won't matter, but otherwise you can pretty much guarantee that it's not going to match any exterior wood that has been exposed to the elements for a while. I'm just hoping that a bit of weathering will eventually make my repair less noticeable, but at least I'm confident that I've stopped the rot and that the wood is going to last for some years to come.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Collection [Blu-ray] [1982]
Arnold Schwarzenegger Collection [Blu-ray] [1982]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Terminator#1 on blu-ray, and 3 other great films for not much more than T1 on its own, 13 Aug. 2015
Bought this primarily to get T1 after my old DVD bit the dust (had a couple of old DVD failures recently, no damage, they just become unreadable and visibly fogged, like the dvd itself has degenerated with age somehow). Anyway, at the time of purchase I got T1, Predator, Commando (was it cut as another reviewer noted? maybe, but still very watchable) and Conan for almost the same price as T1 on its own. That's good value.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of T1; I was expecting it to look a little over-sharpened as often happens when older films appear on blu-ray, but no, it looks pretty good, noticeably better than on DVD. All in all, a very good buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2015 11:49 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6