Profile for Paul Bacon > Reviews

Content by Paul Bacon

Paul Bacon (UK)

My Little Pony - Rainbow Dash
My Little Pony - Rainbow Dash

3.0 out of 5 stars This is (probably) not the pony you are looking for!, 19 April 2013
As the other reviews so far have mentioned, if you purchase this pony (from "The Entertainer"), you will not receive the item pictured. The version of Rainbow Dash with the carry case and duck is apparently not currently in production, and is difficult to get hold of. What I received was the Crystal Empire Basic version, which comes with only 2 tiny accessories - a small plastic trophy and a hair clip. This version is available more cheaply (at the time of writing, and if you opt for Free Super Saver Delivery) from Amazon directly, under a separate listing here: My Little Pony Crystal Empire Basic: Rainbow Dash

My star-rating, however, is based on the version I received. It's okay, I guess. I'm not a fan of the tinsel in the hair. I think it looks a bit tacky and makes combing a pain. And the lack of accessories is disheartening - particularly when a lot of the My Little Pony playsets etc. are designed to accommodate the small animal friends that came with older versions of the ponies.

******EDIT: Since my review was published, Amazon have replaced the product picture with the correct item.******

Spirit of Electro Swing
Spirit of Electro Swing
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation at a great price!, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Spirit of Electro Swing (Audio CD)
I am relatively new to the Electro Swing genre, having heard a few tracks randomly here and there and fallen in love with the overall energy and quirkiness of the style. I found this compilation to be great value for money -£12.59 at the time of my purchase. Very, very reasonable for a 4 disc set containing 80 tracks!!! I found the vast majority of tracks to my liking. There are some that I will skip on future listenings, but that's probably to be expected when you have such a vast selection! Track listing is as follows:

Disc 01
01. CARAVAN PALACE "Jolie Coquine"
02. MR SCRUFF "Get A Move On"
03. TAPE FIVE / TOPAZ, YULIET "Madame Coquette(Aerophon Mix)"
04. BELLERUCHE "Minor Swing"
05. JIVERS, THE "Move On Girl(In The Swing Remix)"
06. ANALOGIK "Gypsy Doodle"
07. NEKTA "Here's Us"
08. BIBOULAKIS / ZEITLIN, NINA "If Only Alarms Didn't Ring(David Jones Radio Edit)"
09. SPARK ARRESTER "Jazz Pearl(Blend Aka Mishkin Remix)"
10. RUBE & DUSTY "Big Band Jump Parts 3 & 4"
11. SKEEWIFF "Coming Home Baby"
12. CLUB DES BELUGAS / BOYKIN, BRENDA "Dibidy Bop"
13. SWING REPUBLIC / DORSEY, TOMMY "Any Old Thing(Elektro Mix)"
14. BERIGAN, BENNY "Snake Charmer"
15. GOLDFISH "Wet Welly"
16. SAVAGES Y SUEFO "Svvyngsvvyng"
17. MACKENZIE, IAIN "All Aboard"
18. SWEET TOOTH "Venus In Hollywood(6u5 Remix)"
19. SHAZZ MAN "Jelly Belly"
20. DIRTY SOLE "Skattered Jazz"
Disc 02
01. TAILOR, WAX / A.S.M. "Say Yes"
02. PALOV "What's That?"
03. CORRESPONDENTS, THE "Washington Square"
04. CLUB DES BELUGAS / BOYKIN, BRENDA "It Don't Mean A Thing"
05. BIBOULAKIS / ZEITLIN, NINA "Is That Too Much To Ask?"
06. Shaw, Artie "Prosschai(Minimatic Remix)"
07. LAZLO "The Minor Drags(Lazlo Remix)"
08. TAPE FIVE "Tequila(Gardener Of Delight Remix)"
09. Horne, Lena "I Want A Little Doggie(Remix)"
10. ANDREW SISTERS "Rum & Coca Cola(Jojo Effect Remix)"
11. FUNKY DL / LEI-AN / BLACQ, XANTON "1947"
12. BENNY SINGS "Get There"
13. TAPE FIVE "Bad Boy Good Man"
14. SWING REPUBLIC / KAYE, SAMMY "Daddy"
15. BAGER, KENNETH / HELLERUP COOL SCHOOL CHOIR, THE "Fragment Eight...The Sound Of Swing"
16. CORRESPONDENTS, THE "Jive Man"
17. VONO BOX "Hello Joe"
18. PALOV / MISHKIN "Et de clarinette"
19. SAVAGES Y SUEFO "Black Cat Jive"
20. RUBE "Something New"
Disc 03
01. LAZLO "Busy Line"
02. TAPE FIVE "Dixie Biscuit(42 Smiles Remix)"
03. GRAND ST. / ALEXANDER, PHILLIPA "Joe Palooka"
04. SAVAGES Y SUEFO "Do The Chicken Rag"
05. IN-GRID "Vive le swing(Gabin Brassy Remix)"
06. SWING REPUBLIC / BASIE, COUNT / RUSHING, JIMMY "Peas & Rice"
07. BEST, BEBO & THE SUPER LOUNGE ORCHESTRA "Anytime Swingers"
08. TAPLAK, MERDAN "Tweet"
09. SWEET LIFE SOCIETY, THE / FITZGERALD, ELLA "Dibilidong"
10. Fitzgerald, Ella "Air Mail Special(Club Des Belugas Remix)"
11. DJ DISSE / BAGER, BETINA / ASTAIRE, FRED "Cheek To Cheek"
12. LAZLO "I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo(Lazlo Remix)"
13. SWING REPUBLIK / BAILEY, MILDRED "T'aint What You Do"
14. WALDECK "Memories"
15. JIVERS, THE / ANQUI "Do What"
16. Whateva, Treva "Havana Ball"
17. SKEEWIFF "Matador"
18. PALOV / ANGELIDES, ANGELOS "The Dude"
19. SOUL SQUARE "That Swing"
20. CARAVAN PALACE "Ended With The Night"
Disc 04
01. WALDECK "Bei mir bist du sch"n"
02. CARAVAN PALACE "Dragons"
03. HOT STEPPA "Jericho"
04. LE CERCLE / ORTE, CHLOE DEL "The Beat Goes On"
05. JEM STONE "Hand Brake Jam"
06. Astaire, Fred "Puttin' On The Ritz(Club Des Belugas Remix)"
07. UNKLE HO "Kindergarten(Rube Remix)"
08. SAVAGES Y SUEFO / JAY, JUDIE "Ballroom Breakers"
09. SWING REPUBLIK / BRADLEY, WILL "Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat"
10. 78PLUS "Sie will"
11. JEM STONE "Grand Fandango"
12. NEKTA "Guess Who"
13. N'RELAX "Le rock a ma douce"
14. BAGER, BETINA "Singing In The Rain(Love Baby)"
15. KITTEN & THE HIP "Jeremy Kyle(Jog On Mix)"
16. LAZLO "Sucette"
17. GOODLUCK "Hop On Hopp Off(Pascal And Pearce Mix)"
18. VANDELA, ORIOL "Musicman(Rube Remix)"
19. CLUB DES BELUGAS "Hip Hip Chin Chin(Maxim Illion Mix)"
20. DKS "Wah Do Wah"

Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
by Portia De Rossi

5.0 out of 5 stars A touchingly raw account, 13 Nov. 2010
As someone who has struggled with weight issues for most of my life, I found Portia de Rossi's memoir both emotional and unsettling. She so accurately portrays the experiences of anorexia - the isolation and the feelings of total and utter imprisonment - that I was transported back to a terrible time in my life. The best news is that this book has made me determined never to revisit that time ever again. This is an account filled with sadness, but also hope. I would recommend it to anybody who has ever suffered from, or loved anybody with, eating problems.

Scoop [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Scoop [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely surprise of a film, 20 Feb. 2009
I have to admit that I had been avoiding this film, owing to some terrible reviews it had received in some of the press. I can't believe I waited so long to see it! I absolutely loved it. A perfect film for a cosy Sunday afternoon. You can't help but get drawn into this enticing little comedy mystery. If you loved (as I did) Manhattan Murder Mystery, then you'll surely adore this.

On Life After Death
On Life After Death
by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life, 14 Aug. 2008
This review is from: On Life After Death (Paperback)
I bought this book for self-help purposes, as my fear of dying was becoming more and more of a problem for me and was beginning to affect my life adverseley. I have to admit, I never thought it would have as much of an effect on me as it did.

I was not (and am still not) a "religious" person. I do not buy into organised religion at all. Please do not be put off if you are in a similar situation. Kubler-Ross does make quite a few references to "God". But she is not talking about God in a biblical sense. Instead she is refering to a higher power. A "spiritual", rather than a "religious" force that we are all a small part of. I opened this book an atheist. I finished it more as one who is open to the possibility of there being something beyond that which we understand.

A word of warning: this book is short. I think this is a good thing as it can be re-read many times with little time or effort. Its length does mean that it will inevitably not answer all questions. Personally, I shall be reading more of Kubler-Ross' works to further my understanding.

Having read the book, I am still not 100% convinced that life after death exists. But I am now definitely open to the possibility. Kubler-Ross has made me question the world around me and my place in it and has opened my eyes to fantastic possibilities. She has given me real hope that my future does not need to be filled with fear about something I have very little control over. Death may not be that scary, after all.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2009 12:34 PM GMT

Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eliza Dushku

5.0 out of 5 stars Tru-ly great value entertainment., 8 Aug. 2005
When I first heard that Eliza Dushku had passed on a Buffy spin-off in order to try something new, I was hugely dissapointed. However, having finally seen that "something new" I am really glad that she did. Tru Calling is a fantastic show: Pacy, twisty and utterly captivating.
The show reminds me a lot of Quantum Leap. Each new episode brings new characters that Tru must engage with in order to, effectively, save the day. The introduction of Tru's nemesis (and opposite) towards the end of the First Season cemented this feeling. However, Tru Calling is by no means a Quantum Leap clone. The show is as much about Tru and her life as it is about the people she must save.
A word of warning: The last two discs of this set contain the second season, which was cancelled after only six episodes. These six episodes are, in my opinion, some of the best in the entire series. However, be prepared to be very disappointed by the lack of closure that the last episode of Season Two brings. So many loose ends are left untied. It's not quite as frustrating as the last episode of Twin Peaks, but it's nearly there.
This DVD set is brilliant value for money. 8 discs for half the price I paid for most of my (6 disc) Buffy box sets when they were released! The special features are entertaning. The deleted scenes don't really add anything new (do they ever?!?) but are fun to watch. Similarly the 4 documentaries (3 about Season one and 1 about Season Two) are fairly standard, but also highly watchable. You also get a music video of the show's theme tune and audio commentaries. All this for less than £30!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2011 2:02 PM GMT

Kylie Minogue: Greatest Hits [DVD] [2003]
Kylie Minogue: Greatest Hits [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Kylie Minogue

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Kylie At Her Best., 21 Nov. 2002
Ignore the fuss over the coverart - this DVD is must-have stuff for any Kylie fan. It features all the videos from the PWL era (including the scare Made In Heaven and Celebration), plus some truly fantastic bonus material. Particularly impressive are the alternative versions of I Should Be So Lucky and Got To Be Certain (both previously unavailable on any release - anywhere) and the Aussie version of the Locomotion video. If that weren't enough, Kylie The Videos parts 1 and 2 and Let's Get To...The Videos are also there, handily chopped up to sit alongside the clips. There's also a previously unseen Behind-The-Scenes documenatry for Never Too Late.
My only complaint would be that a few of the videos are rather poorly transfered, with Especially For You in particular suffering from some awful contrast control. But, ignore this minor flaw and BUY IT TODAY!!! It'll make you glad you own a DVD player.