Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "maevama" (Wallasey, UK)

Throne of Glass: 1
Throne of Glass: 1

2.0 out of 5 stars Poison Study, anyone?, 11 Feb 2014
Having read probably too many Y.A. fantasy type books I'm obviously a sucker for a story well told - action and romance thrown in - I have to this is is by far the poorest written of any of the books I've read, added to the feeling I was getting a poor woman's version of Posion Study, by Maria V Snyder (a 5 star read if there ever was one). I really REALLY wanted to like it, but after a promising start (hence the 2 stars instead of 1) it quickly becomes a cliche-fest - Ms Maas seems to have written a 'paint-by-numbers' narrative; you get the feeling you've been everywhere, seen everything before, not helped by lashings of heavy-handed description. The main character, Celaena, becomes increasingly aggravating - maybe it's meant to be a cute type of snarkyness - instead of seeing her character develop through her trials and tribulations, we get almost gratuitous riffs on her feistiness, arrogance, vanity etc etc - take your pick. This girl is an ASSASSIN but all we seem to get is how she admires herself in a gown, and loves a party lol.

Ok.....it's a Y.A. novel - I expect the cliches/suspend disbelief - but it reads as a book for 15 year olds, WRITTEN by a 15 year old. The best books, for ANY age-group or genre, are always well-written and engaging. If you want to read a truly cracking Y.A. book, with a kick-ass but sentient lead character, have a look at Maria V. Snyder's Posion Study - Yelena is everything Celaena should be. And it's well written. Go on, you know you want to.