Profile for Dan > Reviews

Content by Dan

Dan

Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 10 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 10 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Offered by Barcleys

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 8 Jan. 2012
I'm going to break this down for the 2 products you get in this bundle:

Photoshop: I would give this 5 Stars. It's really easy to give your images some extra polish - as you would expect - however, I was happily surprised to see just how creative you can get. I thought it would be very limited compared to the full version but it isn't. I've been able to follow many tutorials aimed at "proper" Photoshop which is a real bonus, yes there are some things you can't do but I've never felt that Elements is limited in anyway.

Premiere: This would only get 3 stars. I'm going to compare this to Sony Vegas Movie Studio as I was hoping, to replace it (purely as it's only 32bit). I had to mess about with drivers and settings for about 3 hours before Premiere would play back videos, it also seems to be limited to the formats it can play. Movie Studio worked right away and so far has handled every file I have thrown at it (could be an important consideration if you edit from different sources). Even tho Premiere is 64bit it still seemed to struggle with HD video and my system is no slouch so this was a surprise, Movie Studio can load clips into RAM to provide smooth play back - I haven't found this feature in Premiere.

If you want to quickly make videos from a few clips I think Premiere will be OK for you, the interface is simple and it has lots of tools to help you. However it does feel really basic so if you want to be a bit more creative I would suggest Movie Studio - It takes a few hours of playing about to get to grips with it but once you do it's very easy. It feels much "deeper" and allows you to do so much more - but you will have to learn it more.

So bottom line: I can't fault Photoshop and Premiere is OK for basic editing but if you want to be more creative and can't afford one of the big programs Movie Studio is much better.

Wonders of the Solar System
Wonders of the Solar System
by Professor Brian Cox

1.0 out of 5 stars There's a very basic error in this book, 7 Oct. 2010
I just got this today and on page 30 there is a very simple and stupid error "1 Kelvin = 1 degree Celsius, and -273 K = 0 degrees Celsius" that is wrong and it makes me wonder what else could be wrong in this book. It should be -273 degrees Celsius = 0 Kelvin.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2013 7:19 AM GMT