Profile for A. Birchall > Reviews

Content by A. Birchall

A. Birchall (Lancashire England)

Littlejohn's House of Fun: Thirteen Years of (Labour) Madness
Littlejohn's House of Fun: Thirteen Years of (Labour) Madness
by Richard Littlejohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont shoot the messenger, 7 Sept. 2010
It`s pretty clear that there is a campaign to discredit this book on here, Trouble is when you are as brutally frank and honest as Littlejohn you are going to ruffle a few feathers. I have no axe to grind, I read all kinds of books and as an ordinary joe so much of what I`ve read in this book rings true. Littlejohn writes it as it is. I find this book entertaining,funny and echoes the feelings of many people today who are in disbelief at what new labour have done to this country. You dont need to be a Daily mail reader to enjoy Littlejohn but it probably helps!

Close Up Vol 1, Love Songs
Close Up Vol 1, Love Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it really 25 years??, 25 Jun. 2010
In 1985 Suzanne vega`s debut album astounded many in the music business with her simple and very personal poetic songs which were brilliantly arranged and beautifully produced acoustic masterpieces, the album is still one of my favourites today.Althoug i have every studio album I must admit she had begun to disappear off my music radar until I heard her recently on Radio 2 `Radcliffe and Maconie` where she did 3 songs from the new `close up` series and promoted the current tour which resulted in me going to see her a couple of weeks ago in concert at salford.The new album is a selection of songs taken from her back catalogue re recorded in a more personal manner.Whilst the songs have a much leaner production with just gerry leonard on electic guitar and bass from her long time bass player michael visceglia who both do a good job of making the songs sound very intimate whilst compensating for the lack of a percussionist or keyboard, in fact many listeners probably wouldnt pick up on this so good is the overall effect.True this album aint going to feature in the album charts ( although solitude standing reached no.2 in 1987 )as it`s about the music rather than just selling records but to suzannes worldwide devoted fans they will be, like me delighted. 25 years after the first album it seems Suzanne is just as beautiful articulate , sensitive and energetic as ever and after seeing her live promoting this album she literally skipped off stage like a happy little girl.Buy it for them pensive moments....

John Shuttleworth -Southern Softies [DVD]
John Shuttleworth -Southern Softies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Graham Fellows

3.0 out of 5 stars JOHN`S LOSING HIS SPARKLE, 25 April 2010
Firstly let me say I am a huge Shuttleworths fan and had high hopes for this DVD as the earlier DVD `its nice up North` was a bit dark and melancholy both in imagery and soundtrack. Sadly this is even darker and has the same format of including the production team as semi cast members and sidelining Ken which is a bit disappointing and you are left wondering what is the point of the DVD, It`s all too dark and gloomy and even has pretences of being `arty` and doesnt seem to know what it is as it isnt a comedy or spoof documentary either. I think Graham fellows ( John )is relying on the fact that john Shuttleworth has a huge and I mean huge cult following and like myself will buy anything he does. I wish this could have been a bit more fun along the lines of `500 bus stops` which was brilliant, fast moving and a lot more upbeat.
Dont get me wrong, I still enjoyed this it`s just it left me a bit depressed and I hope Johns next DVD is a bit more upbeat.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2010 11:38 PM BST

Max Clifford: Read All About It
Max Clifford: Read All About It
by Max Clifford

1.0 out of 5 stars MAX CLIFFORD-MAX BORE, 20 Aug. 2009
I was really looking forward to this book and really wanted to like it as like other reviewers I had enjoyed Piers Morgans books that `spill the beans` on the celebrity ego mentalists. With Max Clifford`s book I was left wondering why he had bothered, most of the book is old news, the rest unless you are interested in the man rather than the celebrity world gives little away. He talks in a generic tones about scandals and situations without naming the individuals,so much so he could have basically made up a lot of it which I was left with the opinion he had!. I would not recommend this book, I think he should do a bit of PR work on himself as I was left with a lower opinion of the man I once though was unfairly characterised by the very same media he claims to influence.

Canon PowerShot A620 Digital Camera [7.1MP, 4 x Optical Zoom]
Canon PowerShot A620 Digital Camera [7.1MP, 4 x Optical Zoom]

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT CAMERA, 5 Aug. 2006
I will keep this short, but if like me you know little about photography but want to take some stunning pictures and video, buy this CANON A620 camera.Just returned from holiday and took this along with 1GB memory card and managed to get over 240 photos at high resolution (7.1MP)and about 8 dozen videos ( a couple of mins long each)on the one memory card and the best bit is the original 4 x AA Energizer batteries are still going strong.The pictures are stunning, I kept it in simpleton `Auto` mode apart from a couple of close up`s where I engaged the `macro` mode and this camera did not give one bad picture.Look around and the other retailers are selling this camera for as much as double the Amazon price,it arrived next days special delivery perfect condition WELL DONE AMAZON, WELL DONE CANON!