Profile for agemfilm2003 > Reviews

Low
Low
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album of Two Halves, 3 Jan 2005
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
Low - is there anything more that could describe the way Bowie was feeling at the time. Everything was going wrong for him, well in his personal life anyway and so he decided to move to Berlin to escape it all - if you asked me going to Berlin would have made him more depressed. Still he went and what came out of it wasn't some dull, droopy album with no vigour but instead a mere classic, which has propelled itself into Bowie folklore.
Low is a classic and offers us a new creative side to Bowie. The album though on the first listen is very strange and for me wasn't to my liking, but I strived on and finally found the pure brilliance and beauty of it.
I say that it is an album of two halves simply because it is. Even if the two halves don't equal up to the right number of songs each, but still two halves none the less.
The first half are seven songs of electronic hipped up songs of aching and deranged Bowie vocals and lyrics which can haunt you but also get you tapping your foot and bouncing up and down to it's addictive beats.
The second half is the last four songs on the album, where there are mostly no words instead Bowie and Eno playing with different types of sounds and seeing what comes out. And what does come out is something beautiful and also very tragic. These second half of songs can be quite hard to listen to and you may get bored and annoyed very easily, especially on the six minute long Warszawa. This song seems to longer and longer but when listened to quite a few times you can experience the true pleasure and appreciate it's more mellow mood more every time you listen to, eventually turning out to be not that bad.
These four aren't just the only music tracks with brief words that don't seem to make sense there are two others. These being Speed of Life and A New Career in a New Town. Out of all the six music tracks these two have to be the best simply because they aren't as dark as the others and are a lot easier to listen to.
In all the music tracks and the normal vocal/music tracks compliment each other and wouldn't be right without each other. The antithesis is perfect.
The best songs on this album though have to Breaking Glass and Sound and Vision. These are the most hipped up tracks on the album and will get you dancing away. At the end though you start to wonder what it was that Bowie had done on that carpet.
In all this is a great album and from Bowie's depression came a new hope.
Buy this album, give it few listens and you'll fully enjoy the brilliance of Bowie's creativeness. Enjoy!

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Ka is a wheel, 24 Dec 2004
When putting this book down the first I said was WOW. I couldn't believe on how reading the series from the beginning of 2004 to now would be so fantastic.

When I started reading The Gunslinger I thought it was very slow paced and it was not exciting at all. In a few words it was dull, uninspiring and tricky. But I read on not giving in because even though it may have been very dull I couldn't put it down and I just had to read the next to find out what happens. I'm glad I read The Drawing of the Three because to me it was fantastic and for me has to stand as my favourite in the series. On reading The Drawing I knew I had become hooked by these books and I would have stick with Roland to the end.
And so finally I reached the last in the tale and I wasn't dissappointed. When I bought it I thought I may be left empty but when I did eventually finish I was more fulfilled than ever. I was sad to see the tale end but was also glad and happy at how brilliant the seven novels had been. Each story getting better than the other and characters you become jealous of because you wish you were there instead of them. Stephen King is a master and his writing is truly awe inspiring. The way he intertwined characters from his other books (Ted, Pere Callahan and Patrick Danville) and also quite remarkably HIMSELF, made the fantasy more real and making it seem that it actually happened. Can you get any better than that?!
When I finished the last installment I had to think. I had to think whether the ending pleased me or disappointed me. At first it displeased me, but on thinking about it was the only way and the best. For some you may hate the ending and feel that the books were a waste of your time, but just think about it and i'm sure it may please you.
Thank you Sai King for a beautiful collection of a man's quest to reach his destination. I loved these books! I hope you have so far and will like me enjoy the final one! Enjoy!

Around The Sun (Int'l Jewelcase)
Around The Sun (Int'l Jewelcase)
Price: 8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars This isn't rubbish...., 26 Nov 2004
Around the sun should not be underestimated. I've read alot of reviews and so far a few have given it a very bad rating and many people have slashed it repeatedly. But please I am telling you now don't listen to them! Around the sun is a brilliant mixture of songs some complimenting the others. Wanderlust, Around the sun and Electron Blue are all very hip, which then, like I said, compliment and create a great antithesis of the more slow songs that take up the bulk of the album.
This album is full of quite slow and challenging sounds, which really people should accept from R.E.M. and is why it needs more than a couple of listens. I remember when I brought this album and I first listened to it, I found the first song Leaving New York very easy to listen to and I loved it, it has to be my favourite on the album; I can't get enough of it! But when I got more into the album I found the songs weren't as easy as the first one and only Wanderlust and Around the Sun offered me a lifeline to more easy and joyful music. After listening to it I had to admit defeat and my first assumption was that this album isn't very good at all. Still though I stuck with it and I kept on listening to it more and more each time it got better and better and after finally listening to it thoroughly I decided that it is a great album and the songs are just fantastic and are all easy to listen to. They are not boring like alot of people find and if you buy this album you may, like me, have to listen to it quite a many of time.
After listening to it then you'll finally realise that Around the Sun is not pile of tripe but is actually quite brilliant and fantastic listen. So buy it and prove all those other people wrong. Enjoy!

The Man Who Sold The World
The Man Who Sold The World
Price: 6.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it that good?, 15 Nov 2004
I remember when i first heard this album and at the time i thought it was really good but after a quite few listens i had to eventually admit to myself that it isn't that good. Don't get me wrong this album has some fantastic songs, Width of a Circle and Man Who Sold the World have to be the best ones, but still the others aren't really rememberable and after awhile they get on your nerves. Then you start to listen to them on your computer or whatever and i always find myself skipping them.
Maybe it's just that i've listened to it too much but i don't think it is that good and it doesn't rate with Bowie's greatest albums.
This album is undeniably rock and the guitar sound is the complete antithesis of the next album , the quirky Hunky Dory. This is Bowie's at his most heavy sound and it shouldn't be forgotten, even if it isn't that good, as Bowie's earliest roots and really was another of his experiments with types of music, like Young Americans and Scary Monsters - soul and electropop/ rock.
Still though this album should be bought just because it is Bowie and to fit with your colection. It may be good to begin with but you'll find yourself pushing it to back and coming back to it months later.
Still, judge for yourself. Enjoy!

Hunky Dory
Hunky Dory
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Ch-ch-ch-changes!, 14 Nov 2004
This review is from: Hunky Dory (Audio CD)
After the very rocky album of the man who sold the world hunky Dory arrives on the scene and with such effect. Instead of alot of guitar there is more piano and more slow songs such as Quicksand, Eight Line Poem and Bewlay Brothers.
These songs compliment all of the others around them, from the brilliant Changes, the vampy Oh! You pretty things and the beautifully balladful Life on Mars? they all easily fit together. There isn't a bad song on this album and you won't get bored (except maybe Eight Line Poem) all of the songs stick out and will be printed onto your memory.
But i feel one of greatest songs is on this album and that is Kooks. I just feel this is a genius of a song and i can't get enough of it and so you should buy this album just to hear that song.
Hunky Dory is one of Bowie's finest albums and for Bowie fans new and old this a must have. So buy this album and if you were unsure of buying it then listen to it and i'm sure it'll ch-ch-ch-change you. Enjoy!

Scary Monsters
Scary Monsters
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie's Best, 8 Nov 2004
This review is from: Scary Monsters (Audio CD)
Scary Monsters is unforgiveably a rock album, and it has to rate as one of David Bowie's greatest albums. I think so anyway. Every single song on this album is superb, and they can be listened to over and over again. This is a must have for any Bowie fan but also a must for new Bowie fans because this is the legend at his very best.
Everyone should listen to the brilliance of this album, from the part Japanese 'It's no game Part 1' and electropopish hits 'Fashion' and 'Ashes to Ashes' the whole album contains great songs. It may not be a remembered album, but who cares because if you've listen to it then you can pass its greatness on.
So BUY this album and spread the word. This is Bowie's finest achievement and should not be forgotten!

Creative Rhomba 256MB MP3/WMA Player
Creative Rhomba 256MB MP3/WMA Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 26 Sep 2004
The Rhomba is completley stunning and so compact how can you turn it away.
If you are considering buying this product then i highly suggest that you pay absolutely NO attention to the two reviews that gave it a very low rating.
I give you this advice because while i've had it i've had no problems, same goes for my friends who also have purchased the Rhomba.
It is definately worth the money and at a GOOD VALUE! A player with a bigger memory may look more appetising but believe me once you get bored of song you just delete it and so when you have a larger memory it lingers around annoying you and you keep forgetting to throw it away. 256 MB is just the right memory and using WMA will let you store up to about 120 songs!
Once again DON'T LISTEN TO THE SINGLE SATR REVIEWS.
Creative Rhomba is a MUST BUY! I hope i have persuaded you. Enjoy!