Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "mike g" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Lightning (87th Precinct)
Lightning (87th Precinct)

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as they get, 12 April 2016
Sometimes McBains stories are good but run of the mill but not this one, very clever plotting making it one of the best. The 87th precinct never dissapoints

HMS Surprise: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 3 (Aubrey & Maturin series)
HMS Surprise: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 3 (Aubrey & Maturin series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Real history in a novel, 21 Aug. 2015
I have read all the Aubrey books several times and they are all worth four or five stars. This one is one of the best and I still got something from this great story despite the multiple readings. It is impossible to add to the plaudits which O Brian got for the series. I doubt you could come closer to the real story of life in the navy at that time, it brings home the changes which have occurred since then, especially in travel. The life of a sailor and officer in a wooden ship was hard and these beautifully drawn characters really do take one back two hundred years. I am sure that this and the other books will still be being avidly read well into the future.

Painting Portraits
Painting Portraits
by Anthony Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 21 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Painting Portraits (Paperback)
More interesting than helpful although this is a difficult enough subject to convey real information. I now know how Anthony Connolly paints portraits but I don't really think it has advanced my ability at all, perhaps nothing in a book can. Onward and upward.

Tapas Revolution
Tapas Revolution

3.0 out of 5 stars Omar word!, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Tapas Revolution (Kindle Edition)
I would give this four stars except that this chef never stops loving himself, his opinion of Spanish food (which I share) is only surpassed by his opinion of his cooking ability. I thought that it might be tongue in cheek but so much tongue and so much cheek?
The recipes are good, I have tried several, so I suppose it serves its purpose. There are better Tapas books about.

The Innocent (Will Robie Book 1)
The Innocent (Will Robie Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and furious, 29 Dec. 2014
The author is known for his exciting stories and this one is no exception. The clever and intriguing plot doesn't let up all the way through. I admit that one has to suspend belief a couple of times which is why I only give it four stars but as an entertaining fast paced thriller it is hard to beat.

A Reluctant Hero: The Life of Captain Robert Ryder VC
A Reluctant Hero: The Life of Captain Robert Ryder VC

4.0 out of 5 stars Why we won the war., 29 Dec. 2014
I knew of the actions that this man was involved in but not his name which is not surprising given his nature and explained by the title. One cannot fail to be staggered by Ryders casual acceptance of injury and death that went hand in hand with the operations he planned and took part in. The only real surprise is that he survived the most dangerous actions pretty much unscathed, if you have a guardian angel you have to hope it is like his. His other roles behind the scenes are no less fantastic. The book is well written with clear descriptions of plans and action. It is no wonder that with people like Ryder on our side we were able to defeat the Germans.

The First and The Last
The First and The Last

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably better as a biography, 29 Dec. 2014
This is a story of a man whose name I have associated with flying skill and bravery for most of my life. Unfortunately it isn't well written and tends to be fragmented in the telling. It makes the frighteningly hectic and dangerous job of a WW2 fighter pilot rather uninteresting, even a bit mundane. I will still regard Galland as one of the great fliers and a man with high principals which were not always shared by his colleagues and certainly not by his leaders.

Unbroken: The Story of a Submarine
Unbroken: The Story of a Submarine

4.0 out of 5 stars A well titled story, 29 Dec. 2014
It is hard to come to terms with the fact that very young men commanded and controlled these war machines and their crew. The danger and the stress come over quite clearly in this well written account of the Unbroken and her long period of action in the dangerous waters of the Med. I am in awe of the devotion to duty and the bravery shown by this submarines crew in very desperate circumstances. It is a great testimony to all the submariners who fought in similar situations and often did not survive to write their story. In a way I feel guilty in enjoying a book which details such a story just for pleasure.

Picasso: A Biography
Picasso: A Biography

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry not for me, 25 Sept. 2014
Artistically, Picasso is my hero. Likewise O'Brian is a favourite author. Put the two together and I thought it couldn't fail; but for me it did. I had forgotten what a stickler for detail O'Brian was which makes his naval novels so well researched and consequently so real and accurate. When that level of detail is cemented into the life of a man who led such a disparate and interestingly loose existence it stifles the very life out of the character of the very person he is writing about. It is a book that I would expect to appear in the bibliography of other biographies. Very detailed and I am sure very accurate but a bit like writing about a beautiful building by describing every brick. I will stick to his great stories of Nelsons navy where he was able to let his attention to detail enhance his writing.

Wars of the Roses: Stormbird: Book 1
Wars of the Roses: Stormbird: Book 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not stunning, 25 Sept. 2014
I am a fan of Iggulden historical novels, few do them better. This one isn't his best, no where near as good as the Ghengis Khan series which is strange considering that the research should have been easier. Never the less there are some interesting characters inserted into history to help make the links to the various real life individuals. The story itself covers the known history well but comes across as a series of separate events with only tenuous links in his story. Over all an enjoyable book without being too exciting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6