Profile for D A McClymont > Reviews

Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation
Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and not at all technical, 11 Mar 2013
As a self-confessed disruptor I thought this book provided an excellent outlook on some of the places we're headed. Probably a lot faster than we know. The book focuses on the business to consumer market which I think is correct as that's where it's clearest what is going to happen and I found the coverage insightful and clear. The required mindset for progress is clearly brought out and it is massively at odds with the typical protectionist approach that most large companies are using to try and protect and leverage competitive advantage. While there isn't much coverage of the B2B space I think it's fairly easy to apply the same basic trends there, albeit probably at a slightly slower pace.

However a sequel is required is to try and address the impact of all this change on Government and probably investing and wealth distribution. I think anyone who thinks they will not be seriously disrupted is ignoring a major opportunity. The extent and pace of that change is harder to predict. Hopefully it will be signifcantly for the better. Democracy, politics and nationalism offer significant opportunities for disruption and improvement. It seems inevitable that social networks will evolve into decision making platforms that adopt real power simply through the massive numbers inolved.

My only criticism of this book as with so many at present is that they fail to verbalise or digitise the key point of all this human progress. If we all work together we will be able to enjoy very much longer, happier and healthier lives and it's in all our interests that we figure out how to do this sooner rather than later.

Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
Price: 4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it but you ought to consider the greater delusion, 19 July 2012
This was a most enjoyable read and tackles most of the issues clearly and fairly. I'd recommend it to anyone as it really is important that we attempt to understand reality rather than dream of some future heavenly state that we will be mystically transported into.

My only concern is that so much energy and frustration been targeted on the wrong delusion. While the theists can believe they get freewill as a gift from an irrational God so they can spend their life in constant turmoil over whether or not they are good enough. Atheists that believe in freewill need to explain when and how they got it or run with the likely reality that they and everybody else actually have no choice about how they behave then be a little more sympathetic to everyone else as they have no choice about what they believe and how they behave.

It could be viewed as hypocritical to be dismissive about the feeling that God exists but be comfortable that the feeling of freewill that you built up during your early years is sufficient to prove that you have it. Freewill is not something you can logically grow into as its all or nothing and there is no obvious transmission mechanism unless you believe the nth brain cell that you develop is the one that comes with the opt out clause from the laws of physics and that seems a tad unlikely to me. Far simpler to accept that you and everyone else on the planet is hard wired to do what they think suits them best at all times and that isn't going to change. If you think that results in a sub-optimum planet then we need to change the rules because the people will ALWAYS behave this way under this set of rules.