Profile for B. Scott > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Robin and Marian [DVD] [1976] [2002]
Robin and Marian [DVD] [1976] [2002]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

4.0 out of 5 stars Some lovely reviews on here. Echo many of them ..., 3 Nov 2014
Some lovely reviews on here. Echo many of them but I have one major problem.....why do all the merry men and Robin have SCOTTISH accents?

Spoils it for me, I'm afraid. Too much Hollywood, not enough Sherwood.

The Mists of Avalon [Region 2] [import]
The Mists of Avalon [Region 2] [import]
Dvd ~ Anjelica Huston
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to entertain, 20 Sep 2014
Well it was never going to be a close match to the book, but that would have taken a 20+ part series to get through. It's a HUGE book and the only one that took me all night to read - I mean ALL night - couldn't put it down.

Good enough to entertain, this film, and the beginning part had me in high hopes, but when huge sections of the novel simply never got a look in, and wonderfully moving characters ( Kevin the crippled bard, who became Merlin of Britain after Taliesin's death; Balan and Balin who's rivalry resulted in the death of Vivienne; Ninianne, who became Lady of the Lake and brought about the mystical death of aforementioned Kevin - to name but a few ) were simply not there. Not even mentioned.

It could never be a patch on the book, but it is, nevertheless a fair effort. The American accents started to wear through the thin veneer eventually, and as someone else said, there was a pretty heavy hand on the smoke machine.

Entertaining, to be sure if one is into the legend of Arthur, but not a patch on the book...which IS worth staying up all night to read.

Five out of ten for effort, but I couldn't give that on Amazon!

Cider with Rosie (1971) - BBC [DVD]
Cider with Rosie (1971) - BBC [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philip Hawkes

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparisons are 'odorous' perhaps...., 1 Sep 2014
Thank you, Green Knight for your review. Unlike you, I had never seen the 1970's adaptation until it was re-released as a dvd today, when I received my pre-ordered copy from Amazon.

I love the Juliet Stevenson version, which I have watched a few dozen times - it's one of my 'default' viewings, something to turn to when the 21st century gets a bit out of hand. I like the voice-over element, used in the version; Laurie Lee speaking his own words, which make his poetry spring to life in a way lacking in the earlier offering.

This Leach version is very enjoyable, and contains many of the same incidents from the book, with perhaps a few more than the Stevenson contribution, but very nicely done nevertheless. I found the pace lacking at times, although Rosemary Leach is perhaps more believable as scatty, eccentric, loving Annie Lee - Stevenson was a bit too glam and sharp-edged to represent that lovely Mother Laurie Lee so ably brings to the pages of his novel/semi-autobiography.

I've now watched the Leach version twice. I like it, enormously; but of the two, I think the Stevernson one just has the edge when it comes to tempo, energy and style.

I'm glad I have both, and I'd recommend anyone who really appreciates the novel to pursue the same end - buy both and you won't be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2014 11:31 AM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Go for the Uk option!, 24 Aug 2014
Why would anybody spend £33+ on these when they could have the Mobility Soapy Soles for a fifth of the price? They appear to be exactly the same product...and the Mobility ones are great! Even looks like the same photograph has been 'doctored' to advertise these expensive ones. What's going on here? Is it because they're being shipped from the US?

Caveat emptor.

Homecraft Soapy Soles
Homecraft Soapy Soles

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, simple product that actually works, 24 Aug 2014
These deserve a patent! Excellent, simple product that actually works! I have a pretty unbendy arthritic spine and have had both knees partially replaced so bending over in the shower is difficult and painful, and balancing on one leg to wash the opposite foot is not really a safe option. Soapy Soles are brill! Squirt on some shower gel ( from a standing position! ) and just scrub. A bit tickly but my feet feel really clean and tingly afterwards. They'd also be great for non-mobility-impaired hefty folk who's shower cubicles are a tight fit!

The multiple suckers on the bottom stick really firmly to the shower tray, even though it has ridges to prevent slipping, which is something similar products apparently fail to do, having only 2 suckers.

Smashing product, and great value for money. I fail to see why anyone would pay 5 times the price for something that looks exactly the same.....

Very very pleased; highly recommended.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars This is REVOLTING and nothing like the cream I remember, 24 Aug 2014
I have been looking for the old style sterilized tinned cream I remember as a child - on Sunday teatime tinned fruit - in those days I think it was made by Carnation before nestle took over the company. It used to be in a cream tin with blue lettering. Might have been Fussels, I can't remember.

This is REVOLTING and nothing like the cream I remember. As soon as I opened the tin and saw a beige gritty compound I knew I was heading for disappointment. One spoonful and I swilled the rest of it down the sink. I tried stirring it to see what happened, but it remained stubbornly like badly mixed polyfiller, but without the taste.....yuk.

I just can't imagine how anybody can rave about this product as it's so far removed from the thick, silky texture of the olden-days sterilized cream as to be beyond laughable.

Or maybe I just got a 'bad' tin? I certainly won't be purchasing it again.

The Brontes of Haworth - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Brontes of Haworth - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfred Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars 40+ years and standing the test of time!, 3 July 2014
It is quite easy to understand why this series has had mixed reviews. Firstly, it is 40 years old; none of the protagonists are startlingly sexy blondes with smouldering eyes or hot brunettes with heaving cleavages...and only a very young Michael Kitchen is remotely familiar as an actor who has gone on to make a familiar household name for himself. And it's obvious from this series that the talent was there at a young age. The three sisters, with their mousey unfashionable curls ( which I must admit are a bit 'wiggy' ) and high-cut, dull frocks are refreshingly and plain-as-pikestaffs realistic as the daughters of an impoverished Yorkshire parson - and he ( Alfred Burke ) is so like existing portraits of the Irish Reverend Patrick Bronte with his white silk cravat as to beggar belief! Excellent casting!

These minor issues aside, to a genuine Bronte admirer this is an exceptionally well crafted production, though the minutiae of their ( at times ) humdrum lives may appear 'dull' to prurient folk looking for 'Eastenders' style sexiness and 'drama'. To them I say 'Stick to 'Eastenders' and keep well away from anything remotely engaging or intelligently constructed.'

I bought this dvd from the Bronte Society online shop ( more fool me ) and it cost me £11+ MORE than it would have done on amazon! Serves me right for being so impatient to see it again after so many years! Caveat emptor!

Excellent series, well-based on what actually happened to this exceptional family in dirty, smoky, pestilential Haworth in the mid 1800's. But if you're not really interested in the family or their place in English literary history, don't be surprised to be in the ranks of the One Star Brigade, or to read their reviews therein.

84 Charing Cross Road
84 Charing Cross Road
by Helene Hanff

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting...., 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: 84 Charing Cross Road (Paperback)
...I would concur with most reviewers, this is a very entertaining and immensely enjoyable book. 'The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street' is also in the paperback edition I purchased ( Warner 1996 ) and has kept me entertained most of the day!

But Ms. Hanff! - I mean, really! - for such a dyed in the wool Anglophile ( not to mention bibliophile ) - mentioning BraMwell ( sic ) Bronte as such THREE times in two paragraphs is just going a little beyond the Pale. BRANWELL, Helene, BRANWELL. Not a Bronte fan, clearly, her heart and intellect being firmly rooted in London. One would have thought the editor might have pointed her in the right direction...I'm assuming the wrong spelling/name appears in all editions? Pretty unforgiveable, to be honest. Even for a New Yorker.

Magic Pet Hair Remover
Magic Pet Hair Remover
Offered by Pet Connection

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Magic Pet Hair Remover (Misc.)
I first had one of these pet-hair removers many years ago and it lasted for years and years...in fact it outlived our cats so I passed it on to a friend with a very long-haired Norwegian Forest cat. Like buses, after having no cats for four years, along came five all at once! How I missed my Magic Pet Hair Remover! Couldn't find one in any of our local pet stores and then I discovered one on Amazon. It's exactly the same as it always was, efficient, quick and reliable, and pretty bomb-proof. I'm going to collect all the 'rolls' of fur and knit myself another cat!

Excellent product and a very good service, it arrived within three days of ordering.

TecTake Stainless Steel Hanging Shower Caddy Cubicle Tidy 3 Shelves
TecTake Stainless Steel Hanging Shower Caddy Cubicle Tidy 3 Shelves

1.0 out of 5 stars Highlands and Islands...., 19 Feb 2014
Yet ANOTHER product I would have bought from this company - except they don't ship to Aberdeen or environs! For the geographically inept amongst you, may I inform you ( and this seller ) that Aberdeen is NOT classed as either Highlands OR Islands, and never has been. It's Lowland Scotland, mainland Britain, on direct rail and air freight links from just about anywhere 'down south'. I can understand why some companies cannot 'ship' to the Outer Hebrides, or Lewis, or the Shetlands etc; these places can be tricky to get to. But Aberdeenshire? Come on! Aberdeen - Oil Capitol of Europe and they're classed as the back of beyond? Get a grip.

I am utterly pigged off with ordering things from sellers via Amazon and then getting a message from the seller saying they either cannot post to 'Highlands and Islands' or that I will have to pay excess postage. Thus far I have had to reject a vacuum cleaner, a standard lamp, a cat bed, a cold frame and this item, amongst many others. Luckily there ARE sellers out there resistant to fleecing the North East of the UK/Scotland for extra postage, and they're the ones who will continue to get my vote!

And before you ask, no, I will NOT be voting for an independent Scotland, despite this palaver!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5