Profile for Dr. Nicholas Le Poidevin > Reviews

Content by Dr. Nicholas L...

Dr. Nicholas Le Poidevin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Horwood JA80 20 cm Pasta Pot
Horwood JA80 20 cm Pasta Pot
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares

4.0 out of 5 stars Deeper and better, 10 Sept. 2013
This is not the chea[est of products but I find it far better than my previous one. There is much more depth to the basket and so longer pasta such as linguine and spaghetti can be accommodated more easily. It requires several litres of water and being of relatively small diameter it takes some while to bring to the boil when used on top of the stove. I tend to put one or at most two litres in the pot to heat on the stove and boil the remainder of the water in an electric kettle. Other reviewers have complained that the lid handle gets hot. This is not a problem. One only needs the lid to assist rapid heating since pasta should not be cooked in a covered pot. My criticism is that although the exterior is polished stainless steel and cleans easily, the interior is difficult to clean and is stained. I,can't see this as much odfa problem. I never return the cooked pasta to the pot then add the sauce. I cook the sauce separately and ahead of the pasta and then add the pasta to the sauce.

4 x 10" PNEUMATIC SACK TRUCK TROLLEY WHEEL BARROW TYRE TYRES
4 x 10" PNEUMATIC SACK TRUCK TROLLEY WHEEL BARROW TYRE TYRES
Offered by Oypla

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 10 Sept. 2013
My local suppliers of sack trucks do not carry wpare wheels in stock, preferring to sell a new truck should a wheel get damaged beyond repair. The pask of four arrived promptly, the sack truck is up and running again and I have some wheels in hand for the next time that a tyre or wheel gets damaged.

Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Pen 318-9 Fine 0.6mm Line - Black (Pack of 10)
Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Pen 318-9 Fine 0.6mm Line - Black (Pack of 10)
Offered by 66 Red Office

5.0 out of 5 stars Black is beautiful, 10 Sept. 2013
My principal use for these is for writing on plastic lables for garden/greenhouse use. The ink attaches well to plastic and dries almost at once and has retained its colour for a season without fading. The pack of 10 is far better value then buying them singly at a local stationers, assuming that they are in stock. I keep one at each of the various places where I might use them, far easier then having just one and carrying it around and losing it.

Gino's Pasta: Everything You Need to Cook the Italian Way
Gino's Pasta: Everything You Need to Cook the Italian Way
by Gino D'Acampo

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes but difficult to use., 10 Sept. 2013
The reciopes are excellent and show what is good about Italian cooking - start with good quality ingredients and keep the recipe simple without using a whole range of ingredients that add nothing to the overall result. The book is well written and readable. I caanot rate it five because it has some defects and I make some constructive criticism that I hope will be taken on board when a well deserved second edition is published. Gino's ten tipes for cooking pasta are most helpful and certainly work. However for a book about pasta, I would like to have seen more about the different types of pasta and their uses, this to me is of far more practical use than a dissertation on its nutritive value. It might also have been helpful to include more detailed information about Italian ingredients. My main criticisms are these. Firstly the indexing is very poor. The main text gives the Italian titles of a recipe, but these cannot be found in the very sparse index. Secondly there are excellent photograps in what is a most attractively presented and well written book. However, these photograps take priority over page numbers. One may need to pass six or more pages when looking for a page number. This coupled with poor indexing makes it a somehwat diffivult book to use, especially for the poorer sighted. With these reservationsm I recommend the book to any lover of Italian food. Sadly, I feel Gino has been let down by those who did the design work for him.

Funkin Passion Fruit Puree 1kg
Funkin Passion Fruit Puree 1kg

5.0 out of 5 stars My passion is solved., 10 Sept. 2013
I go crazy for passion fruit as an ingresient for ice crem, sorbets, mousses, drinks and all sorts of desserts. The only passion fruit that I can access are expensive and cannot be relied upon toproduce much juice. This product has solved my craving for passion fruit and I look forward to buying more of it to experiment further in preparing desserts. recently I made an ice cream using about 350ml of the product, 275ml of double cream and 125 gm of caster sugar mixed in an ice cream maker. The ice cream didn't last long when the family started in on it! Anyone who likes passion fruit should try this product. It is reccomended for use within 8 days of opening, but that should not be a problem for anybody that likes passionfruit.

Puma Body Train SL Mens BioRide Fitness Shoes
Puma Body Train SL Mens BioRide Fitness Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted., 10 Sept. 2013
Shoes that suit one person do not necessarily suit another. From my point of view they are excellent and good value for money. My feet are so messed up that I find it difficult to wear leather shoes. These do not have splashes of colour and I can pass them off as shoes when worn on a formal occasion. They a comfortable and springy. That said, they suit me fine but that is no guarantee that they will suit somebody else..

Lazy Lime Juice 1 Litre (Pack of 6)
Lazy Lime Juice 1 Litre (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for everyday use., 10 Sept. 2013
I lived and worked in tropical dountries for many years and one delight was the refreshing taste of fresh lime juice. My palate tells me that the product is lime juice rather than sour lemon juice. I find it excellent when mixed with syrup and ice and diluted to taste to make a lovely drink fora hot day. It is far more economical than relying in imported fresh limes many of which, in my experience, yield little juice compared with ones fresh off the tree. My solution is to buy a few imported limes and mix the finely grated zest (rind() with the product to give it a more authentic freshly prepared in the tropics flavour. This technique works well for me when making sorbets, key lime pies, souffles as well as drinls. The lack of a fifth star refects the lack of the enhanced taste that only the rind and its oil can give. That said, I find it excellent vslue.

Draper 25996 Double-Cylinder Foot Pump
Draper 25996 Double-Cylinder Foot Pump

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 4 July 2013
Contrary to some reviewers, I regard foot pumps more as an expendible than a permanent item. This replaced a previous similar item that replaced a previous similar item that......... .The order arrived promptly and put to use straight away. mostly on garden machinery. I have used it on cars, and the youngsters use it for bicycles and footballs. I find it easy to use and quick to inflate. Realistically, an item such as this cannot last for ever and if I get a couple of years out of it I shall be satisfied. I think one aid to longevity is to use it on a firm surface and not to allow it to twist about in use, probably the compnents are designed for vertical movement rather than at odd angles.

Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Can Opener
Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Can Opener

1.0 out of 5 stars Fifth One Star, 3 July 2013
Having had no success with this item, I read the four already published one-star reviews. I concur with all the comments in those reviews and make this the fifth one-star review.

Elizabeth David on Vegetables
Elizabeth David on Vegetables
by Elizabeth David

2.0 out of 5 stars My fault, I guess, 1 July 2013
Perhaps I should have looked more carefully at what I was buying. As books go, it is well presented and with attractive photo graphs. The text material is a compilation from the various books by the late Elixabeth David, books worthy of a place in any collection and of constant reference in the kitchen. Mistakenly, I assumed that it was a reprint of a book on vegetables by Elixabeth David, There is nothing about individual vegetables and how to use them. Instead it is a series of chapters on soups, salads, and so on using vegetarian recipes from Elizabeth David's published works. It even has chapters on bread and desserts. I cannot fault the presentation, but the content is not what I had expected - my fault for being so hasty in my purchase. I may look at it from time to time from the comfort of my armchair. I cannot imagine that it will ever find its way into my kitchen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10