Profile for Dr. Nicholas Le Poidevin > Reviews

Content by Dr. Nicholas L...

Dr. Nicholas Le Poidevin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Draper 25996 Double-Cylinder Foot Pump
Draper 25996 Double-Cylinder Foot Pump
Price: 11.75

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 4 July 2013
Contrary to some reviewers, I regard foot pumps more as an expendible than a permanent item. This replaced a previous similar item that replaced a previous similar item that......... .The order arrived promptly and put to use straight away. mostly on garden machinery. I have used it on cars, and the youngsters use it for bicycles and footballs. I find it easy to use and quick to inflate. Realistically, an item such as this cannot last for ever and if I get a couple of years out of it I shall be satisfied. I think one aid to longevity is to use it on a firm surface and not to allow it to twist about in use, probably the compnents are designed for vertical movement rather than at odd angles.

Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Chrome Can Opener with Plastic Handle
Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Chrome Can Opener with Plastic Handle
Price: 4.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Fifth One Star, 3 July 2013
Having had no success with this item, I read the four already published one-star reviews. I concur with all the comments in those reviews and make this the fifth one-star review.

Elizabeth David on Vegetables
Elizabeth David on Vegetables
by Elizabeth David
Price: 13.60

2.0 out of 5 stars My fault, I guess, 1 July 2013
Perhaps I should have looked more carefully at what I was buying. As books go, it is well presented and with attractive photo graphs. The text material is a compilation from the various books by the late Elixabeth David, books worthy of a place in any collection and of constant reference in the kitchen. Mistakenly, I assumed that it was a reprint of a book on vegetables by Elixabeth David, There is nothing about individual vegetables and how to use them. Instead it is a series of chapters on soups, salads, and so on using vegetarian recipes from Elizabeth David's published works. It even has chapters on bread and desserts. I cannot fault the presentation, but the content is not what I had expected - my fault for being so hasty in my purchase. I may look at it from time to time from the comfort of my armchair. I cannot imagine that it will ever find its way into my kitchen.

Pizza Pilgrims: Recipes from the Backstreets of Italy
Pizza Pilgrims: Recipes from the Backstreets of Italy
by Thom Elliot
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpretentious good sense, 1 July 2013
Personally, I am taken up with this book. The title might suggest that it is about pizza. In fact it contains recipes for all types of tasty but ordinary food from the regions of Italy. Such food uses a simple range of quality fresh ingredients, a hallmark of much Italian cuisine. The recipes are well written and easy to follow. There are many unpretentious snecdotes from the two brothers' tour of Italy. There is much impish humour to be found both there and in the recipes. If you like to share good tasty food with friends and a bottle or so of wine around the kitchen table, then this book is for you. If you prefer a seven course dinner party with elaborate food, formality, and small talk, then look elsewhere.

ADDIS 12 Litre 5 Star Rect Bowl, Linen
ADDIS 12 Litre 5 Star Rect Bowl, Linen
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect fit, 1 July 2013
I consider this good value. My memory of the product description is an absence of dimensions. My measurements suggest approximately 43 x 33 x 18cm. These make it unlikely to fit into a smaller modern sink. It fits into my Belfast sink OK. When considering gimensions, remember that one will need space to put ones hands around it for empiying or lifting out. It is quite heavy when approaching anyrhing like its full capacity of 12 litres, Personally, I am very pleased with the product, it is in daily use and so far has proved resistant to scratching and to be easy to clean,

Le Creuset Cast Iron Oval Casserole, Volcanic, 25 cm
Le Creuset Cast Iron Oval Casserole, Volcanic, 25 cm
Price: 104.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the cheapest but hard to better., 1 July 2013
I have used Le Greuset ware for nearly 50 years and have some of that age. I find recent products of better quality than ealier ones. That said, one must not abuse them and must follow care instructions both as to temperture and to cleaning and take care to avoid damage. In other words, they are suited to the careful rather than the slaphapy cook. This size is particularly useful for pot roasting or slow-cooking a medium sized chicken or similar but probably a little small for a larger family.

Tenax Moisture Meter
Tenax Moisture Meter
Offered by yumyum121
Price: 18.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Why not five star?, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Tenax Moisture Meter
This replaces an identical product that has given many years of faithful service. I regard any moisture meter as expendible and a possible problem with this one, as compared with one without an extension flex, is the risk of a connection failure. I also regard readings as indicative rather than absolure. I find moisture meters especially useful in Spring when gradually stimulating over wintered potted plants into growth or in Autumn when drying them off. The advantage of a probe at the end of a flex is that one can access and read more easily than were the probe attached directly to the meter. The disadvantage is that it is more vulnerable to damage and more attractive as a child's plaything. My irritation is with the product leaflet that lists a wide range of houseplants by fancy English names. Why not be more international and give botanical names as well. That irritation loses a star.

Steenbergs Organic Rose Water 100 ml (Pack of 3)
Steenbergs Organic Rose Water 100 ml (Pack of 3)
Price: 12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A scent arose, 1 July 2013
I am very pleased with this fragrant product, so different from the synthetic rose waters that are offered. Any adventurous cppk can do great things to desserts with a rose water of this quality.

Steenbergs Organic Orange Blossom Flower Water 100 ml (Pack of 3)
Steenbergs Organic Orange Blossom Flower Water 100 ml (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Scent from heaven, 1 July 2013
I'm glad to have found this product. It is vastly superior than the synthetic ones that one can find. I am a keen amayeur chef that favours natural products so it will be well used,

Haws All-Brass Watering Can Rose, no. 340
Haws All-Brass Watering Can Rose, no. 340
Offered by Nutley's Kitchen Gardens
Price: 12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Size matters, 1 July 2013
The product itself is excellent. My main problem with Haws is that they have a vast range of watering cans but none of mine, at least, have the model number on the can. I relied on pictures and product decription and in consequence received a rose too large for my can. I have adapted the spout to receive the rose rather than return it. Haws watering cans and roses are excellent and well worth the money. It is a shame that the manufacturer cannot mark the model number on the can.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8