Profile for K. J. Verma > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Guilt-free Gourmet - Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy
The Guilt-free Gourmet - Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy
by Jordan Bourke

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, delicious recipes - what I've been waiting for!, 29 Sept. 2012
What can I say about this trove of delicious recipes - all of which are wheat, dairy and sugar free? Sounds too good to be true but honestly, I've made the Moroccan Orange Cake from the book and if that's a taster of what else can be achieved, then wow, it certainly gets top marks! My family and co-workers couldn't believe how tasty it was and it's so reassuring to know that for those of us who don't do dairy, wheat, can - with ease - rustle up grub that is delicious and nutritious without a side of anxiety.

I can't wait to serve up some more dishes courtesy of The Guilt Free Gourmet :)

Reebok Lady Freestyle Hi Fitness Shoe, Size UKL4H
Reebok Lady Freestyle Hi Fitness Shoe, Size UKL4H

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, comfortable shoe, 30 Oct. 2011
I am so pleased with these trainers - they are great for work and when I'm on set all day, and for all the walking I do as well. Plus, the height means my weak ankles are well looked after.

Not only that, they are classically stylish and work with your jeans and skinnies.

New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga)
New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Growing old...fast..., 10 Jun. 2008
****SPOILER ALERT****

I enjoyed reading the precursor to this, 'Twilight' - though I thought it was good, I didn't think it was great, simply because of the writing, as it were.

I have a few problems the way the story is now turning out or has panned out in 'New Moon.'

My main annoyance is Bella herself. I didn't really particularly like her, and couldn't understand when so many people thought she was totally relatable. *shrug* To me she's selfish, naive, stupid, moany and lost in another world that is totally unrealistic. I totally predicted that Meyer would create 'we have to be apart' scenario. The refreshing moments came across in Bella's easy and unforced relationship and deep friendship with Jacob, probably the saving grace of this novel. IMO, there was something so true about this relationship to me, I could totally relate to this on every level and thought it by far the more heartwarming, heartbreaking and therefore real thing in Bella's life. Nothing about it seemed particularly forced, esp the ease of dialogue. With Edward on the other hand, we are subjected to paragraphs of ridiculous sickly words akin to something out of Austen rather than today. Maybe that's the point but Edward behaves like a 14 yr old teenager and Bella isn't that much mature.

Unfortunately, even the Jacob thing had to get screwed and even though it brings in a very interesting vampire-werewolf dynamic, it just became a repeat of Twilight where Bella needs to figure out what's going on, and Jacob is the guy 'who is not right for her' yada yada but this time instead of being cold like marble the time, he's always hot, an obviously set up contrast. Only when she does figure out, again IMO, it's more heartbreaking, because their friendship is so strong, it really means something. While I didn't get what was the big deal with Edward and Bella's love, apart fromt the fact that he's like some godlike Apollo and is, oh yeh, a vampire. To me, there's something fundamentally missing - a gaping hole, (god how many times did we hear that metaphor????) - about the depth of their love, i.e why? apart from Bella thinking he's gorgeous in everyway, what is Edward all about in terms of loving him and what does he see in her? Ok, he blabs about it at the end or something but I found myself skimming over that stuff because frankly it's boring and old now. And doesn't stick. All the girl ever does is get herself into ER.

And then Bella's so called decision at the end - so flippantly regarded by all apart from Edward. Hello? What about your parents? What about what humanity actually means to you? The whole idea of being human is tossed aside by Bella without any thought, like it doesn't matter, I mean it's only who you are. And for all some romantic notion. This is where it goes a little OTT - I love romance, but I can't stand ridiculous romanticism of together forever no matter what, when it disregards the very character you are. I can't understand that kind of selfishness, not only because that kind of love isn't real anymore, let's get a little more practical shall we? (the guy doesn't have any blood in any veins, any future potential problems with that?) Actually I don't know why I'm ranting because I just realised I'm probably the wrong target audience for this completely - its fairytale craziness really and thats the whole point. But I missed it somewhere.

Especially since by the end of the book I had ascertained that Bella is indeed very selfish.

No offence to Meyer but she did say that Edward and Bella came to her in a dream in the meadow scene in 'Twilight' and well then she produced a story around that first interaction. Sorry to say, its obvious the characters (not necessarily the characterisation) are not fully 3D here and development is non existent. A real shame.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but far from great, 7 May 2008
I had high hopes for this one seeing as everyone seems to love it. And I was hooked by the premise.

To be honest, I never really warmed up to Bella or Edward for that matter. At first it was fine, it was intriguing. I was waiting for the moment she would find out about Edward. Up until that point, all good, though the numerous references of Edward's eyes, gracefulness and the fact she was dizzy around him all the time started to wear thin really quickly. But when she does find out - which was a little of an anti-climax for me - it wasn't much.

The best parts came in the last 150 pages when finally the book began get some momentum and Bella actually became interesting - and there was action!! I always thought there was something missing in the romance - I wanted to go beyond Edward's good looks, his charm and his eyes and the fact that he was 'dazzling'. Alright we get he's a god in her eyes...really.

The emotions conveyed by Meyer are very vivid though, you can't help but be completely absorbed. And there's some good humour amongst it all. If I'm going to read the other books, I'll be more interested in characters like Jacob and Billy. But somehow I think Bella is always going to be Edward obsessed...I hope there will be some good separation between them at some point to spice this story up a bit.

A Sword From Red Ice: Book 3 of the Sword of Shadows
A Sword From Red Ice: Book 3 of the Sword of Shadows
by J. V. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Punctuated with wonderful moments but otherwise a filler, 12 Nov. 2007
First of all, the wait for this book was just that bit too long.

And before I launch into an actual review, the edition had LOTS of typos - alot of 'though' when it should be 'thought' and twice the name Raif was written when it should have been Bram. Who got that mixed up?

Generally the book is well written, I mean it's J.V. Jones. I was slightly disappointed to know that this wasn't the end of the series but that there would be more. I don't look forward to the wait.
The characters are always written immensely well. I found myself always drawn into Raif, Raina and Vaylo's stories. However, I found it - dare I say it - a little boring at times. One character is literally floating down a river the whole time her story is covered. The last two hundred pages where all the characters strands are wrapped before the end is the real meat I was waiting for to sink my teeth in. Otherwise I felt rather hungry and empty.

J.V. Jones still describes her world in stunning detail but I think that I must be growing impatient because for the first time I found myself skipping/skim reading parts.

I will stay loyal to this series because development with Raif and Raina is brilliant, as well as Bram, Vaylo, even Angus. It's enjoyable but still doesn't measure to the wonder that was 'A Cavern' nor quite as engaging as 'A Fortress.' I hope the next installment has some real juicy developments. The way J.V. Jones has spun this tale, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. You still have to read this book if you enjoy her writing and have liked the series so far.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta hand it to Rowling - absolutely amazing! GENIUS!, 24 July 2007
This book was rivetting especially the last half. The character of Harry really, truly fleshes out here and he really shines. The ending was awesome, and the threads come brilliantly together. It is so well written, the series in its entirety. Thank you JK for such a wonderful set of stories. Ok, so they weren't in Hogwarts taking their usual classes but it was still great and the ending made up for it really.

A magnificient finish to a magnificent saga.

Smallville: The Complete Fifth Season [2005] [DVD]
Smallville: The Complete Fifth Season [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Welling
Offered by WorldCinema

3.0 out of 5 stars Half good, half really quite pants, 12 Oct. 2006
I am a major SMALLVILLE fan and have been for ages, but now I must speak out!

Smallville is losing the plot. By the end of this season, it's clear it's NOT about what it originally was. The main culprits are the writers who have given time to useless 'spectacle' moments while leaving characterisation to the changeable and weightless wind.

As a Clark/Lana fan, I enjoyed the first few episodes, though in a wider general sense, they lacked gravitas and verged on absurd, ie. episode 'thirst'. After 'Reckoning' things take a turn for the worst and Smallville becomes like a bad bad soap opera with recycled dialogue and issues, everyone stalling.

Lex gets more 'evil', though the shows writers have yet to take his character to somewhere really dark - its hinted at many a time, but he has yet to be 'the villain'. Chloe is solid as ever. Lana sucks, her character doing a complete 180 half way through the season, you're left blinking and wondering what show the writers were watching all this time and thinking 'can this get any worse?'

Many of the episodes were nigh useless. Martha and Lois are great throughout. Some episodes tried to go back to the tried and tested formulas with 'freak of the week' strands but again, this is drawing thin and tiresome. The show needs a serious injection of class. So much of it is now cheese.

The Cw needs to bring back the original writers so we can have progressive CHARACTERISATION.

(don't get me wrong, the cast can act, yet they're all stuck in a loop of the same dialogue and same expressions)

Battle Royale - Two Disc Special Tin Edition [2001] [DVD]
Battle Royale - Two Disc Special Tin Edition [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatsuya Fujiwara

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle Royale has changed me...., 30 Mar. 2004
i saw the movie on the norm dvd not the special edition and i rushed to get the special edition? why?
becos the movie is amzing - it blew me out of the water and on to the beach of awe. im an aspriing film director so its my passion to get invovled in these things. and BR with all these documentaries has taught me more then anyhting else and i just thoroughly enjoyed watching all of it. amazing.
i dont have another word. amazing. and all those japanese ppl they r so cute...the way they talk and everything! lovin it all.
KiNJI FUKUSAKU-san i'm in awe of u man! ur a great director and at 70 no less! wow that is a film director! can i meet u?

Final Straw
Final Straw
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars if i cud give it more stars i wud...takes my breath away, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Final Straw (Audio CD)
funny story. my friend wanted this for an xmas pressie and i had never heard snow patrol before in my entire life. bought it for her without a second glance and gave it to her. the next day i hear 'run' and im thinking this is one of the most amazing songs ever...the guy on the radio titles it and comes out with 'snow patrol'. and to think i had to wait five more weeks to get it again. run is amazing song. and this album is amazing - its not one of those ones where u have the typical singles and then the typical 'album songs'. this is amazing stuff. i was not expecting this calibre at all but here it is and its my fave. particular faves include run, grazing knees and spitting games of course. everyhting else is great too. it wont go out or grow old thats for sure. if u like coldplay, lifehouse, dashboard confessionals, live, matchbox 20, u2, brand new and ryan adams this is the sort for u. if u dont like em STILL BUY THIS!!! SNOW PATROL WAHOO U ROCK!!!

Monument
Monument
by Ian Graham

1.0 out of 5 stars Dear God....such disappointment, 6 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Monument (Paperback)
i will start with saying i am young and therefore compared to most, i have not read loads of fantasy books though it is my preferred genre. i went to the the bkshop hoping to find another good fantasy book to read which would inspire me once again as i am writing a book myself. yet this has proved a great disappointment.
i have read but 150 pages and all i say is this: four things this book is about - drunkeness and i mean sickening drunkeness; 'rutting whores' (dear god how many times has this been mentionned??? repetition - argh!); being beaten up to a pulp; and vomit as a consequence of all the drinking. the settings in this book are mundane and boring. for all the help this author has claimed to have had, it is extremely poor already. i mean this is 150 pages only and is this supposed to be inspiring? i only hope this book will pick up but otherwise i would never recommend this at all. the plot - wat has been revealed - seems thin and lacking. the protagonist is vile. there seems to be no aesthetic elements as yet and that is simply depressing - this shows a clear lack of a 'female touch' or feminism and i do not mean from an actual woman influence but from the feminine side even men possess. moreover, a good author should know that is it always dangerous to slip into immense repetition. this is what graham is alreay doing. if he is to make a mark on the world of fantasy, and i mean where people can take him seriously, he is going to need a hell of alot more help to do so - or a miracle.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2014 7:47 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2