Profile for Ms. K. J. Waghorn > Reviews

Content by Ms. K. J. Waghorn

Ms. K. J. Waghorn "library fan" (Brighton)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Last Lighthouse Keeper
The Last Lighthouse Keeper
by Alan Titchmarsh

5.0 out of 5 stars a thoroughly good read, 26 Jan. 2012
This is only the second of Alan Titchmarsh's books I've read [the first was Mr. MacGregor] and I liked it more than the first book. He has a lovely way of telling a good story with believable characters and situations. Considering writing fiction is not what Alan Titchmarsh is primarily famous for, I think he's a very good writer - and certainly his books have more appeal than chic lit, slushy romances or heavy classics.

I enjoyed this one because it was set by the sea, and I appreciated all the nautical terminology which showed AT had genuine knowledge and/or had done his research well.

Will and Amy seemed so well matched - but do they end up together? Read it and find out!

Senna [DVD] [2010]
Senna [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Ayrton Senna
Offered by nr1media
Price: Click here to see our price

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent film, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Senna [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I have only watched the first DVD - the Senna film and not DVD 2 so can only comment on that. It was well made and gave a good insight into the personality of this great racing driver. I was impressed by his deep faith and wondered if he somehow knew that his fatal crash was going to happen. I didn't follow F1 back then but still remember hearing the tragic news on the radio. The film is a lovely tribute to Ayrton Senna and I still wonder why it was only on general release in the cinema for one day last year.

Titanic Love Stories: The True Stories of 13 Honeymoon Couples Who Sailed on the Titanic
by Gill Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars very readable for everyone, 18 Jan. 2012
I read this book over a few eveings and it's immensely interesting, even for anyone who is not especially interested in the Titanic disaster. The love stories are interwoven with factual details of the voyage and how the ship sank. Not all the honeymoon couples were first class passengers - some were second and third class. Not all couples survived, and this book gives a very informative chart at the end concerning numbers who survived and numbers who died and what class they were travelling in.

The pictures add a very interesting dimension to the book, but my only criticism is that the captions for them are far too small. There is space for the type to be larger so I felt that was a bit of an editorial oversight.

The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service
The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service
by Rosina Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 16 Jan. 2012
this book is well written and gives a wonderful insight into the life of a lady's maid to the very wealthy between about 1920 and 1964. Rosina Harrison comes across as a lovely person, not given to indiscretions but well able to stand up to the domineering Nancy Astor. I was pleased there wasn't much about the Astors' politics for that wouldn't have interested me much.

Flowers 2012 Gallery Calendar (Page a Day Gallery Calendar)
Flowers 2012 Gallery Calendar (Page a Day Gallery Calendar)
by Workman Publishing
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 13 Jan. 2012
I've had a couple of page a day desk calendars before but hadn't seen this one. I kept my eye on it for a while then it sold out! However, just before Christmas, Amazon got some more in so i ordered one and had it as a present from my family. It's only the 13th January now, but so far i have liked all the pictures. Some are gardens,some are flowers in their natural habitat, some are flowers in posies and some are close up studio shots. There are also some botanical drawings. I'm looking forward to changing the picture each day and have so far resisted the temptation to look, ahead! When the year is over, i shall probably use some of these pictures for card making, or stick some on my bathroom wall.

Sierra Club 2012 Engagement Calendar
Sierra Club 2012 Engagement Calendar
by Sierra Club
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars an ideal diary for me, 13 Jan. 2012
i really like the fact that this diary has a picture for every week (on the left) and the days of the whole week on the right. The pictures are lovely - beautiful mountainous scenes, exotic plants and animals all from various places in the USA. I think all calenders should have a picture for every week - some of them now only have about 18 pictures for the whole year.

Highly recommended.

NEW Thomas Kent 6" Arabic Cream & China Blue Mantel Clock
NEW Thomas Kent 6" Arabic Cream & China Blue Mantel Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely time piece, 13 Jan. 2012
i bought this clock as a present for my boyfriend, whose kitchen clock had broken. I chose it because it is free-standing, is a nice colour combination and has good clear numbers. So many i had looked at were dull and nothing special, and most had just lines instead of numbers. Some didn't even have any indication of the hour.
This was well received and a successful present. I would definitely recommend this clock and buy another in the future if i needed to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 5:43 PM GMT

F in Exams: The Best Test Paper Blunders: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders
F in Exams: The Best Test Paper Blunders: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders
by Richard Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars i fort it woz grate, 13 Jan. 2012
this book came in a set of three and was the best of them all. It really did make me laugh out loud and cheered me up whilst being confined to bed over Christmas. It's many years since i was doing school exams but it reminded me how horrible they could be. Just wish i could have been so inventive with my answers! My mum and dad enjoyed reading it too - and it will be lent to my sister next.

The Very Picture of You
The Very Picture of You
by Isabel Wolff

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as her others, unfortunately., 1 Dec. 2011
I have read all of Isabel Wolff's books and enjoyed every one of them, but this one left me cold. In fact by the time I was just over half-way through it, I decided to give it up, skip through to find out what happened and call it a day.

Perhaps it was the over-reliance on dialogue or the slow pace of the story, but somehow it all seemed a bit too contrived and dull to me. I couldn't really warm to any of the characters - especially Sue Graham, who came across as one of those bossy women who want and generally get all their own way.

I knew I'd lost interest when I got to the bit when Ella asks her Mother about her grandparents. What kind of family life and relationship did she have with her Mother if she reaches the age of thirty six and still doesn't know anything about her own grandparents?

I think I'm getting a little too old for this genre....

A View Of The Harbour: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
A View Of The Harbour: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
by Elizabeth Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars a glimpse into a bygone age, 25 Nov. 2011
Elizabeth's Taylor's novels are always worth reading and [in my view] under-represented in libraries. A View of the Harbour is a fairly sober story of ordinary lives lived in a post war seaside fishing port. It reminded me of "Brief Encounter" with the married doctor [Robert] falling in love with his wife's best friend who happens [conveniently] to live next door. She [Tory] is equally smitten though still deeply hurt by her divorce.

Meanwhile Bertram Hemingway, a retired sailor, arrives for the duration and insinuates himself into the lives of the people of the small community. He meets Lily, a nervous widow, Mrs. Bracey, a nosy gossip, confined to her bed and making up stories about her neighbours. Her daughter, Maisie, waits on her hand and foot and waits for her to die, whilst her sister, Iris, serves in the local public house and dreams of being "discovered by Cecil Beaton" and whisked away to another life.

The only person Bertram sees nothing of is Beth, Tory's best friend, who sits indoors writing her novels. One imagines quite a bit of Elizabeth Taylor went into the character of Beth - surely it is no coincidence that their names are the same?

As a previous reviewer has mentioned, like many of Elizabeth's works, the reader is left wondering what happened to the characters later. In this case, I thought about Prudence - did she do anything with her life or continue to moon about with her blessed siamese cats? What did Bertram do next? What happened to Maisie and Iris?

I highly recommend this novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11