Profile for S. Higgens > Reviews

Content by S. Higgens

S. Higgens "S Higgens" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Foxlight
Foxlight
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ... and now for something completely different, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Foxlight (MP3 Download)
I had never heard of Iarla ó Lionáird until Mike Harding played the opening track of this album (The Heart of the World) some 3 months ago on his weekly BBC Radio 2 show. Through iPlayer for seven days after the show, I listened to the track almost repeatedly but afterwards had to wait nearly 3 months until the album was released to listen to that wonderful track again. For someone who struggles to communicate in his own native English tongue, I am surprised that I like this album so much - do not be put off by your man singing nearly all the tracks in Gaelic; this adds to the beauty and charm of this wonderfully crafted album and somehow adds to the sense of story telling. ó Lionáird's voice is both beguiling and hypnotic which, when coupled with the broad range of sounds and orchestration that he brings into the production, creates a musical wave that inundates both the heart and the mind. One of the discoveries of the year - thank you Mike Harding.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The seminal photo of folate addition - look no further, 11 Jan 2011
I am an avid collector of photos that deal with the addition of folate to food products (I am a food technician for a chocolate manufacturer whose hobby is photography!). I specialise in sauces that compliment traditional British Sunday lunches (horseradish - roast beef, mint - roast lamb, cranberry - turkey) but had yet to find an image of suitable quality to add to my collection of roast pork images. That is until I stumbled across this image. If, like me, you are interested in folates in the food industry, then you need look no further that this source (pun intended!).
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2011 6:50 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars He ain't heavy, he's my brother, 1 Sep 2010
Normally, I loathe inkjet printers. The frequency with which you need to change the cartridges and their extortionate cost forced me down the laser printer avenue some 2 years ago. This year, however, I have needed a printer just to print off proof copies of my work and, being away from home (and the laser printer), I was persuaded by my local printer shop to plump for this one.

I was reluctant to buy it, even at its very reasonable price, but I have not looked back since. Bearing in mind that I only need this printer to run off drafts of my essays (and nothing else), the print quality is very good, the cartridges last for approx 600+ pages (I am making this assertion on the fact that I have gone through a ream and a bit of paper and will shortly need to replace the black cartridge) and the price of replacing them is pleasingly cheap. Light and easy to move around, with this printer the cartridges are broken down into black, yellow, blue and red and you can replace each of them as they run low, opposed to just the black and colour cartridge options on other printers. On the few occasions I have used the photocopier and scanner, I have been impressed with the quality of reproduction.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced, portable printer that is cheap to run, I cannot commend this one highly enough. My university charges me 10p to print a single sheet of A4; this works out cheaper and the quality is just as good.

The Life Of Birds
The Life Of Birds
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A bird in the hand is apparently worth much more than two in the bush, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Life Of Birds (MP3 Download)
Lying in my scratcher two weeks ago desperately searching for the motivation to get up, I was roused from my semi-conscious slumber by an interview with David Rotheray on the Today programme about his (then) forthcoming album - The Life of Birds. Background clips of two tracks (The Sparrow et al and Crows et al) was all that was needed for me to rise, wrap a towel around my burgeoning waistline and tip-toe to the laptop to pre-order the album. A fortnight later, returning home from holiday, I found the CD sitting on the mat among all that unwanted guff which accumalates when your guard is down. Bags still packed and dirty washing festering, I have now listened to the album three times through and feel qualified to comment.

The album struck a note instantly; of great appeal is the wide range of superb musicians singing and accompanying DR on each track. Folk and acoustic features prominently throughout but that is not to categorise this album as such. It covers a wide spectrum of styles (there's even a slide guitar for those of you with exotic tastes) which all combine to produce a first class collection of songs that comment on issues such as greed, puberty, marriage, Alzheimers, old age, supressed sexuality and electric clocks. As to be expected, there is a song about Hull. There is a melancholic feel to the album, but not at the expense of humour and wit, and all of the songs are beautifully arranged. The album's subtle production enhances the music opposed to stripping it of all its charm. This is an album to treasure and is one that deserves to be listened to. If, like me, you have never heard DR's solo stuff before, take a chance and buy this one - you will not be disappointed (and you will also discover how exciting birds can be!).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2010 11:38 AM BST

Philips HQ7380 7300 Series Rechargeable Rotary Male Shaver
Philips HQ7380 7300 Series Rechargeable Rotary Male Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars To add my penny's worth, 3 Jun 2010
I deliberated long and hard about buying this razor but I have not looked back since buying it. I won't repeat what has already been said in the preceeding 60 reviews (will anyone ever scroll this far down and read this review I wonder?) as that would be tiresome but I normally wet shave during the week and use an electric razor at weekends. This electric razor is that good I think I will despatch with the wet shave all together now. By the way, it's that quiet I can now listen to 'Pop Master' and shave at the same time!

Snowdonia and North Wales (Collins Rambler's Guides:)
Snowdonia and North Wales (Collins Rambler's Guides:)
by Richard Sale
Price: 9.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Be a little cautious when using this book, 2 Jun 2010
I cannot knock the book for providing me with some new walking routes in and around Snowdonia but please be aware that the grading of the walks is somewhat dubious. For example, Walk 16 Moel Hebog is graded Easy and Walk 3 The Watkin Path & Miners' Track is graded Strenuous; having done both, the Moel Hebog route is as tough as The Watkin Path walk and they should both be graded Strenuous. I saw couples with young children attempting the Moel Hebog route and they struggled with each of the route's three peaks. In sum, the book provides some interesting routes but trust your own judgement and refer to the trusty OS Map to guage each route's severity and duration.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2010 7:08 PM BST

In Modern History
In Modern History
Price: 10.32

5.0 out of 5 stars This will blow your socks off!, 30 April 2010
This review is from: In Modern History (Audio CD)
If the other two tracks on this album are only half as good as the other eight tracks that I have just listened to on the CD issued with June's Songlines magazine, then this will still pass as JM's best piece of work to date. Sweet England and Low Culture are superb albums but this is even better. Not afraid to combine traditional tales with modern music, JM has collaborated with many well known names on the folk circuit as well as the musicians of Opera North. The result is an eclectic collection of tales told in a contemporary style. If I could only recommend one song to convince you, listen to Bristol Harbour - make sure you pull your socks up first though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2010 3:48 PM BST

The Quickening
The Quickening
Price: 8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best yet - and the others were good too!, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)
One of Britain's finest singer/songwriters, Kathryn Williams wholly deserves the airtime that this album has enjoyed on national radio in the weeks leading up to its official launch. If you are new to her music, please ignore the Folk-Rock tag that the official review classes her as; that is a misnoma and her music is much more than that. She writes wonderfully crafted songs about contemporary issues and sings them beautifully. If you are not new to her music, you will not be disappointed with this album. In my humble opinion, I regard her music as highly as Richard Hawley.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2010 12:25 PM GMT

Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug, Red
Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug, Red
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 13.21

5.0 out of 5 stars For all coffee lovers, 19 Jan 2010
If, like me, you cannot stand instant coffee then this product is for you. I have been using these mugs for 4 years now and take mine everywhere with me. Simple to use and easy to clean, making decent coffee needn't ever be difficult again.

Not Far Now
Not Far Now
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 14.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Banana, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Not Far Now (Audio CD)
I certainly agree with Wordsmith's review of Nov 2009 - if you like intelligent, well-crafted songs then this is one of those albums you should take a chance on. I heard a Shindell song (You stay here) for the first time on Mike Harding's BBC2 Folk show and was blown away. The lyrics, melody and voice combined to produce a song that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. From that chance encounter, I bought this, Shindell's latest album, to get to know his work; I have not been disappointed and will be snapping up the rest of his catalogue. Predominantly an acoustic album, there are hints of folk, country, Americana and blues which all blend to form a unique sound. This album is one to listen to - having it on in the background will not do it justice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3