Profile for Nicola > Reviews

Content by Nicola

Nicola (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Shopaholic Ties The Knot: (Shopaholic Book 3)
Shopaholic Ties The Knot: (Shopaholic Book 3)
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars For shopaholics, 16 Jun 2012
Another fantastic addition to Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series, this time Rebecca Bloomwood is getting married but can't decide whether New York or Oxshott is the best place to do it, so what happens when there are two weddings being arranged for her? I found it to be more slow-going than the first two, but still an entertaining, laugh-out-loud read <3

Abducted
Abducted
by Charlene Lunnon

4.0 out of 5 stars Abducted, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Abducted (Paperback)
A very easy read in the sense of writing style, but a very hard read in the sense of subject matter. It's relatively short, so easy to finish over the course of a day. I found the voices of the girls very realistic, heart-breaking and sincere. I was counting the pages until they got rescued, unable to wait to hear about their happiness at being free. Overall a fantastic, heart-breaking book by two very strong women.

Resident Evil 5 Sheva 7" Action Figure
Resident Evil 5 Sheva 7" Action Figure

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheva, 6 Jun 2012
Brilliant figure, Was very impressed with the detail and accessories. My only problem was that it's very hard to get the sniper rifle to stay in her hands.

A Study In Terror [1965] [DVD]
A Study In Terror [1965] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Neville

4.0 out of 5 stars A study in terror, 21 April 2012
The characters are well-rounded and entertaining, the plot is interesting and the film very well put together. Starring the ever popular sherlock holmes, 4 stars!

Love Lessons
Love Lessons
by Jacqueline Wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars Morally inept., 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: Love Lessons (Paperback)
I read this book when I was in my early teens and loved it. Re-reading it now at 18 I got a really big shock. Much more wise about the world (although still not very) than I was back then, I can see that this is one messed up book with worrying morals considering the age group it's directed at. It basically sends the message that there is nothing wrong with an older teacher reciprocating feelings a FOURTEEN year old student has for him. And not just any old student, but a vulnerable one who has led a sheltered life and had little social interaction and certainly no 'street smarts'. I definitely wouldn't let anyone younger than myself read this.

Futhermore, I found the main character, Prue, to be utterly unlikeable. She's a self-centered, arrogant little priss who thinks nothing of making fun of a boys (who obviously likes her) dyslexia. I know she isn't meant to be massively likeable but it got the point where it was just irritating and I was facepalming on a regular basis.

I can honestly say though that there were likeable characters like Grace and Toby, and I can never find fault with Jacqueline Wilsons writing in itself. As always, she's a good writer, but unfortunately the contents of this book left much to be desired.

4000 Things You Should Know About Animals
4000 Things You Should Know About Animals
by John Farndon

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun facts, 21 April 2011
The full colour pages are stunning, well laid out and packed with fun facts. I will warn you though that there are some silly mistakes, it is not very well proof-read/fact-checked. For example, it states on the plate about polar bears that they cover their noses whilst hunting to make them less noticeable. However, studies has shown that (whilst a rare behaviour) when this occurs it is most likely to preserve heat. Other than things like that it is a very useful book packed with facts. It is split into sections, Dinosaurs, birds, wild animals and mammals. There are 1000 facts for each section.

Breyer B2465 Traditional 1:9 Scale Stoneleigh II Dressage Saddle
Breyer B2465 Traditional 1:9 Scale Stoneleigh II Dressage Saddle

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits well, 21 April 2011
Very detailed and well made saddle for your traditional scale breyer. Fits a little poorly on older models (such as my Stud Spider, one of the treasure collections for a year I dont remember) but newer models fit very well. It especially suits dressage horses and looks a treat on my Keltec Salinero. The blanket is a fine quality too. I have NOT tried sitting a rider on the saddle so I cannot comment on how useful it is for that purpose. If you want all of the stoneleigh tack though the bridle I aquired, whilst being very detailed and well made, you will not get the reigns to sit how you want them to as the leather is very creased, despite many battles and attempts mine still tend to fly around and refuse to sit on the horse. The saddle is perfect though.

Eric Draven - The Crow - Cult Classics Hall of Fame 3
Eric Draven - The Crow - Cult Classics Hall of Fame 3
Offered by toydealer_de_shop

4.0 out of 5 stars The Crow, 2 Mar 2011
The crow is a great character, and this is a great figure! He's very detailed (even has the bullet holes) and finely crafted.
The painter has been very careful and there are no mistakes. The guitar is detachable (the strap was slightly twisted but it's ver minor)

The only things I don't like is that he's very fiddly when it comes to putting on his stand (attaches through holes under his boots) and once on he's angled slightly forward. His head is also pointed downwards slightly, like he's looking at something on the floor in front of him, instead of up and proud like I would have liked it to be. His head is posable from side to side, but not up and down.
His wrists, legs (not at the knees) and arms are all jointed so you can move them.

Blood Sinister
Blood Sinister
by Celia Rees

3.0 out of 5 stars Blood Sinister, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: Blood Sinister (Paperback)
This was a re-read. I originally read it a long time ago when it was still being advertised as part of the Point Horror Unleashed series. I loved it back then and would have given it five stars.

After re-reading it though I guess my reading tastes have matured and now I find it to be missing in explanations and down-right unbelievable in parts. I guess it should be unbelievable as it's a vampire story but how do you explain it when the main characters nurse suddenly becomes her best friend and willing to die for her after a short conversation about vampires.
It's a very good plot that would have worked well if the book was maybe an extra 200 pages long. At only 200 pages there just wasn't enough room for the development that was so sorely needed.

Pictures from the Fire
Pictures from the Fire
by Gaye Hicyilmaz

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books., 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Pictures from the Fire (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books ever. The story is captivating, the characters well developed and interesting, especially little Emilia. The writing is beautiful, almost lyrical. I read this a long while ago and the story has stuck with me for years. Only now have I managed to acquire a copy again and re-read this shining star of a book

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6