Profile for Daniel Järnström > Reviews

Content by Daniel Järnström

Daniel Järnström (Pargas, Finland)

Tripods - The Complete Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Tripods - The Complete Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Shackley
Offered by hunting_for_a_bargain

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have it all in one beautiful box!, 21 July 2009
I never bought the original series 1 on DVD, I just had the old VHS tapes. Considering the fact that both series were now released in one box set, I'm glad I didn't.

The Tripods is my all-time favourite TV show. It's an excellent story combined with great special effects, considering it's mid-eighties sci-fi drama. Ofcourse the fact that the BBC pulled the plug on series 3 is a shame, but you will find the booklet (devoted to the unmade third series) being a big bonus.

The extras aren't that special, although having the "Cult of" show on DVD is pretty cool. The soundtrack by Ken Freeman for the unmade third series is also nice, although it could have been on a separate disc in CD format.

All in all it's definitely worth buying, for fans old and new!

We thank the Tripods!!

Anne Droyd and the House of Shadows
Anne Droyd and the House of Shadows
by Will Hadcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Droyd the android, part 2, 21 May 2009
Will Hadcroft has done it again! Written a book that was difficult to put down after picking it up.

This time around the book is in my opinion more balanced than the first one. When you read one chapter it can be as mellow as your ordinary sunday, and the following one can be full tilt excitement!

Compared to the first Anne Droyd book, this one has shifted from sci-fi to more of a thriller. Which is only a good thing, since the author has done it so well. And as a big bonus this book also puts a smile on your face more than once!

I loved the first book, but I loved this one even more. And after I was through it I was thrilled to see what I had hoped for: NEXT Anne Droyd and the Ghosts of Winter Hill!

Can't wait!

Anne Droyd and Century Lodge
Anne Droyd and Century Lodge
by Will Hadcroft

4.0 out of 5 stars Anne Droyd the android, 6 April 2006
Anne Droyd and Century Lodge is one of those books that are equally fitting for both young and old. A very original story, it grips you right from the start and it is very hard to let go once you get into the flow of things.
The friendship that develops between the android Anne and the other kids (Gezz, Luke and Malcolm) is very well described by the author and it is very easy to get that feeling of "being there".
Towards the end of the book it really picks up speed and the last five or six chapters are pure action and sci-fi adventure.
One of the better books I've ever read, Anne Droyd and Century Lodge should please everyone that picks it up.